Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 May 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1920444)   #801
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

I would STRONGLY advise against returning to the hotel on the Saturday night. The roads around the circuit are completely jammed until about half two, three o'clock in the morning. If you really do need a kip, sleep in the car. But better still, forget sleep (you have another 364 nights of the year for that!), get out and about (Tertre Rouge, Arnage, Mulsanne etc.). Only at Le Mans can you witness anything like this. The experience is pure unadulterated magic, don't miss out!
Yes and no.

I agree 100% with the idea of not leaving the circuit at all at night. If I could, I would stay there all night for sure. But, I travel to Le Mans as a Tourist (and if you don't understand what I mean you need to visit my website) and always have done. The Tourists leave the circuit to eat on Satruday evening and some ( but not all) return after the meal to watch a bit more of the race and dump me at the track for the rest of the night. Some of the Tourists see none of the racing at night. That, for me, is pure sacrilege, but we all have our different reasons and agendas at Le Mans. As Tenthers and Sportscar forum regulars we're all avid fans so we want to watch the racing - others enjoy different aspects of the Le Mans experience and being in France generally.

We have never had any problems leaving the circuit - getting back to our hotel (south of Le Mans) or returning again later in the evening. Its fair to say that we have very experienced pilotes, who can get us to Arnage or Mulsanne in the depths of the night with consummate ease (usually...). We've never had any trouble accessing the circuit in this way.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 24 May 2007 at 17:27.
Old 24 May 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1920445)   #802
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
Wow, thats a lot better than I had hoped for

Now is row E (68 and 69) towards the front or back. How does it work?

Man we're going to be close buddies - I'm Esc 4, Rang E Place 62!
Old 24 May 2007, 17:32 (Ref:1920452)   #803
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
You can buy general entrance tickets on the gate.

Not sure what the parking situation is, you may want to give the ACO a ring and see if you can pre book into one of the car parks.

Beware of parking. For the last two years I have bought our parking tickets in advance after our huge problems in 2005 (read the story on my site if you wish). The later you arrive at the circuit - the more important the parking ticket becomes. Years ago we never had any trouble getting a ticket on the way in - even at 1-2 pm on race day. These days the rouge cars parks at least will be full by then. In 05 we had to park half an hours walk away and we were lucky to get that........ (We were also supremely lucky that my missing in action buddy Fab was able to supply me with a ticket for the rest of the weekend...... )
Old 24 May 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1920453)   #804
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I've got a general admission ticket which I'm gonna have to sell, due to one of our party dropping out, anyone interested? Send me a PM this evening or I'll list it on eBay and stick the proceeds in the beer fund!
Old 24 May 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1920457)   #805
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
You can get to the porsche curves using the roads at the back of the Houx campsite, just follow the road and signs for the cheap campsites. The car park at the viewing area was quite large last year, but there is nothing much there that is available to the public, no loos, beer or food. Just a splendid view of the cars
Hang on a sec... spectating at the Porsche Curves? Is this any different from walking on the outside of the track from the Ford Chicane back as far as you can go, past all the campsites with the double-decker buses and mountains of empty beer bottles? Is there an additional spectator area outside the main general admission area? Can someone mark this on a map?
Old 24 May 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1920461)   #806
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I did this quite a long time ago, but it might help.....

http://aysedasi.co.uk/2002/maps.htm
Old 24 May 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1920464)   #807
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
Hang on a sec... spectating at the Porsche Curves? Is this any different from walking on the outside of the track from the Ford Chicane back as far as you can go, past all the campsites with the double-decker buses and mountains of empty beer bottles? Is there an additional spectator area outside the main general admission area? Can someone mark this on a map?
Yep, different enclosure entirely. You need to leave the circuit in order to get there. I haven't got a map immediately to hand, but the enclosure is just opposite the Beausejour campsite.
Old 24 May 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1920468)   #808
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I did this quite a long time ago, but it might help.....

http://aysedasi.co.uk/2002/maps.htm
This map actually marks the enclosure (Porsche Exterieur)
Old 24 May 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1920496)   #809
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, got it. Cool, never knew it existed, might be worth a stop on our way to Mulsanne at 2am. Or is it a better daytime vantage point?
Old 24 May 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1920501)   #810
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've been there two or three times during the day but I haven't been at night which I hope to do this year. Its quite pleasant there in the relatively early morning though.....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 24 May 2007 at 18:50.
Old 24 May 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1920505)   #811
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Man we're going to be close buddies - I'm Esc 4, Rang E Place 62!
I'll bring some extra beer with me then, I'll be with my old man (the tribune tickets are a surprise for him) so be sure to say hi.
Old 24 May 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1920513)   #812
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It'll be a pleasure - remember to look out for me - white and blue floppy hat, green camera bag, overweight, balding - and, after walking up those steps to the stand, almost certainly gasping for breath.......
Old 24 May 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1920634)   #813
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Thanks for all the advice - all well heeded.

Hopefully see some of you at the 10/10ths gathering on the Saturday (where it'll be good to put faces to names).

As far as hotels went I had no problem getting rooms at the Tours Holiday Inn, where they even accepted my frequent guest points - which says to me they've got more rooms than they know what to do with.
Old 25 May 2007, 06:29 (Ref:1920776)   #814
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've been there two or three times during the day but I haven't been at night which I hope to do this year. Its quite pleasant there in the relatively early morning though.....

It a good spot at night except the floodlight there is really bright and is shining into your eyes a bit, which is a bit distracting.
Old 25 May 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1920952)   #815
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know whether Radio Le Mans are covering the legends races properly this year?... the entry is so good!

Last year's race was brilliant but got virtually no coverage at all which was a bit of a shame.
Old 25 May 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1921249)   #816
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't know yet but I know a man who will........
Old 26 May 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1921700)   #817
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone have any idea yet on how strict the officials are gonna be with apointing camparea's?
Our group will be arriving from wednesday afternoon 'till as late as friday night,and we'd like to make a joined camp like all previous years.
Would it be an idea to let the one who's arriving first carry all the campingtickets?
Old 26 May 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1921759)   #818
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
Does anyone have any idea yet on how strict the officials are gonna be with apointing camparea's?
Our group will be arriving from wednesday afternoon 'till as late as friday night,and we'd like to make a joined camp like all previous years.
Would it be an idea to let the one who's arriving first carry all the campingtickets?
that would for sure be a good way to convince "controleurs"!
but you'll have to get out to give the tickets back to your buddies or they won't get in...
Old 26 May 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1921775)   #819
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Not sure if this is right place to post, but I will be watching most of Le mans from home, but I was wondering why on Motors tv their covage starts on the monday before, what stuff do they show before the actually event.

James
Old 26 May 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1921776)   #820
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We found in previous years that they take your word for how big your group is, but that was for either one car reserving 3 spaces or 2 cars from 4, so if you were one person from a large group they might kick up a fuss.

Perhaps the best solution would be to photocopy the group's tickets to prove the total number.
Old 26 May 2007, 20:57 (Ref:1921777)   #821
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd
Not sure if this is right place to post, but I will be watching most of Le mans from home, but I was wondering why on Motors tv their coverage starts on the monday before, what stuff do they show before the actually event.
Ahoy James,

MotorsTV show the scrutineering on the Monday and Tuesday and have interviews with many of the drivers.

And, of course, there is qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday.

Who knows what they show on the Friday...

Last edited by Truckosaurus; 26 May 2007 at 21:01.
Old 26 May 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1921779)   #822
Jamesd
Racer

Do they show what they are doing to the cars and stuff like that in scrutineering, do they show practise sessions.

James

Last edited by Jamesd; 26 May 2007 at 21:06.
Old 27 May 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1922217)   #823
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

Also I was wondering if anybody on here has every been a le mans mechanic, (what I want to do), what is the atmosphere like there.

James
Old 27 May 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1922298)   #824
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do they show what they are doing to the cars and stuff like that in scrutineering, do they show practise sessions.
Last season they had full coverage of the scrutineering. It was slow and didn't make for good TV, but still worth a watch.
Old 27 May 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1922299)   #825
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi

Also I was wondering if anybody on here has every been a le mans mechanic, (what I want to do), what is the atmosphere like there.

James
I have just started working for an LMS team to gain a bit of experience. I am a Motor Sports Engineering student but joined too late to attend Le Mans this year, boo hoo! The mechanics say that it is incredibly hard but still an unbelievable experience.
The days are ivery long and the work is very hard. In fact on the Friday the whole car has be completely rebuilt which means working until about 2 on Saturday morning. Saturday then starts at 6am to get the car ready for the warmup. The team then works through until about 8pm on the Sunday. All that with only a few cat naps for breaks.