Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Sep 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3449867)   #8226
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see how petit has turned out now adays.i have a feeling it may turn out like the spring grand am race last year. At this point I think NASCAR is just holding on to petit until they get the track set up to run sprint cup races there,then they'll probably cut Petit into a shorter and shorter race.just a weird gut feeling......
Old 3 Sep 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3449869)   #8227
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Sad to see how petit has turned out now adays.i have a feeling it may turn out like the spring grand am race last year. At this point I think NASCAR is just holding on to petit until they get the track set up to run sprint cup races there,then they'll probably cut Petit into a shorter and shorter race.just a weird gut feeling......
All due respect, your gut is wrong. NASCAR is doing all they can to get out of the Southeast to "expand the brand" beyond their roots. Their recent MO is to remove races from the Southeast and they cut the second race in GA years ago-why add one in the near future? In addition, there is very little evidence to support any new road courses in the Cup series at this time.

I do, however, agree that it is sad to see PLM being reduced (seemingly) to just another national race. I still blame the ACO/WEC for that, but that's neither here nor there. Shortening the length of the race? I don't see that either right now as I don't see a whole lot of change happening anywhere ATM with this series.

And trust me, the decline of PLM saddens no one more than myself and others whom have seen that long weekend for more than a decade now as Christmas, the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve and Halloween all rolled into one.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:22 (Ref:3449871)   #8228
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sebring as well as Petit would definitely benefit form more practice time, more build-up ... these are the biggest two races on the schedule from the fans' perspective. These are the events for which fans have been taking off a week of work for ever (or since 1999) to come see.
That was back when they actually mattered and had proper race cars racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Cost-cutting is a great idea, but when it leads to value-cutting it is self-defeating. offering less works okay the first time, but the second time, consumers feel cheated and don't come back, and everybody loses.
Thats tusc's whole reason for being, cut everything off less without an alternative forcing fans to deal with it or leave.

Sports car racing in America is dead. I think COTA is awful and see the only hope being either the WEC moves to a different track/adds a date or Tusc fails (hopefully sooner than later).
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3449872)   #8229
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
WTF are you smoking? Petit is still "a event" and one of the best races on the calendar. Were you ever at the spring Grand-Am or a spring ALMS race? Both couldn't draw flies. Hell, when Grand-Am showed up, I went to Long Beach to see ALMS. And I live 8 miles from the track. It wasn't that many years ago Petit had 28 cars, now they have to use both pit lanes. It's evolving, but has the heritage that it won't be cut in distance.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3449876)   #8230
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
WTF are you smoking? Petit is still "a event" and one of the best races on the calendar. Were you ever at the spring Grand-Am or a spring ALMS race? Both couldn't draw flies. Hell, when Grand-Am showed up, I went to Long Beach to see ALMS. And I live 8 miles from the track. It wasn't that many years ago Petit had 28 cars, now they have to use both pit lanes. It's evolving, but has the heritage that it won't be cut in distance.
I prefer quality over quantity. 28 quality cars > 60+ crap cans.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:34 (Ref:3449878)   #8231
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Were you ever at the spring ... ALMS race? Both couldn't draw flies.
Looking back now, those were awesome! About 1000 of us had the run of the place. I have a pic I took of the Champion Audi in pit lane on my wall and there is not a person in it. It was all the way at the far end and no one bothered to walk down there. Also, grids were really, really thin back then which I think many keep forgetting.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3449880)   #8232
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I bet you still post at crapwagon as well.

Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3449881)   #8233
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Those 50+ entrys are quality. This post makes me think that you haven't really seen a crap entry. For example, teams running their operation out of shipping containers.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 02:53 (Ref:3449887)   #8234
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
a spring ALMS race?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Looking back now, those were awesome! About 1000 of us had the run of the place. I have a pic I took of the Champion Audi in pit lane on my wall and there is not a person in it. It was all the way at the far end and no one bothered to walk down there. Also, grids were really, really thin back then which I think many keep forgetting.
The ATL GPs were great, flooding rains, randos sleeping in cadaver bags, small grids and all.

If there is a bigtime sportscar race on the calendar at my home track, I go and complain very little, until rent-a-cops and the local Barny Fife choose to enforce little known and not widely established blue laws at the front gate in a random fashion.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3449891)   #8235
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I bet you still post at crapwagon as well.

Absolutely he does.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 04:03 (Ref:3449894)   #8236
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tusc fails (hopefully sooner than later).
If USCC failing means you will finally shut the hell up I'm all for it.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 04:52 (Ref:3449899)   #8237
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's just remember that while IMSA and now NASCAR certainly haven't exactly been helpful with the way they've handled PLM recently, it was the ACO that really chose to underline the status of the event first. First by getting it off from their calendars and putting Bahrain 6h in direct conflict with the race (this was later changed but the point was made) as well as removing the automatic invites that same year. And then last year collision with Fuji.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3449935)   #8238
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't believe we had 29 page pre-raceweek speculation/entry/chitchat thread just two years ago!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=134187&page=1
Old 3 Sep 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3449954)   #8239
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given the vastly different situation two years ago ....
Old 3 Sep 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3449956)   #8240
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Let's just remember that while IMSA and now NASCAR certainly haven't exactly been helpful with the way they've handled PLM recently, it was the ACO that really chose to underline the status of the event first. First by getting it off from their calendars and putting Bahrain 6h in direct conflict with the race (this was later changed but the point was made) as well as removing the automatic invites that same year. And then last year collision with Fuji.
X2. And I won't soon forget.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3449981)   #8241
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I've always thought that the 2003 Open Test that occurred at the same time as the Le Mans testing was not looked upon favorably by the ACO. It was just after that the ELMS started and that took away some of the teams or potential teams for the ALMS. It seemed the Spring test and race were competing with the glamor of Le Mans. Ever since that time, things seemed to be different and then when the world's economies dropped through the bottom in 2008, the writing was on the wall. Too bad the ALMS could not survive until the recovery.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/ra_test_may_03/
Old 3 Sep 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3449990)   #8242
Deleted
Veteran

(Re-)launch of ELMS/LMES didn't happen until 2004, besides LM the only European event in 03 was the Bugatti 1000km exhibition in November.

Anyway, I doubt single conflicting test sessions held years and years ago (at that time too) resulted in anything. Panoz/IMSA relations did cool off after the very first years for sure, but ACO always still supported them as well as recognized the value of Petit Le Mans. Now I think they see it just as much as of a regional race as Sebring, sadly... It's kinda surprising they let IMSA keep the title

Last edited by Deleted; 3 Sep 2014 at 14:31.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3450008)   #8243
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To me it's surprising Dr. Panoz was able to pay enough to buy ti.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3450009)   #8244
Deleted
Veteran

Selling off Rebel Alliance to the Empire must've made some cash for twilight years.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3450021)   #8245
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
(Re-)launch of ELMS/LMES didn't happen until 2004
Yes, I know. Just meant to emphasize that it was soon after the American Spring/Summer Petit Fest.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3450041)   #8246
Gulf
Racer

Holy **** there is hope....

http://www.cyclenews.com/646/24985/R...--DMG-Out.aspx

DMG giving up on Bikes!
Old 3 Sep 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3450042)   #8247
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How many years did it take? The AMA takeover was in the late 2000's right?

Not really into bikes, but from what I understand, Daytona did pretty much irreparable damage to the AMA.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3450047)   #8248
Deleted
Veteran

I know next to nothing about AMA (or bikes in general) but surely this is positive news.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3450056)   #8249
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure IMSA still holds PLM to high regards. There going to show the PLM albeit in a short 2 hour clip show on FOX around the football crowd, not the cabe FS1 channel but FOX broadcast. That's a huge audience. I hope it's a ratings success then maybe they can get full races on broadcast.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3450058)   #8250
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
How many years did it take? The AMA takeover was in the late 2000's right?

Not really into bikes, but from what I understand, Daytona did pretty much irreparable damage to the AMA.
They took over in 2008 so 6 years.
Closed Thread