Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Dec 2023, 08:39 (Ref:4189633)   #826
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't overlook that Hill has so far, at least in the WSR ensemble, not exactly shown himself to be a team player. I do believe that there is not much love between him and Turkington, for example.
That’s more to do with Jake coming into Colin’s team & beating him. Look at the Andrew Jordan/Turks relationship. Jake has previously been very helpful & supportive of his Team mates and helped coach a number.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4189635)   #827
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
That’s more to do with Jake coming into Colin’s team & beating him. Look at the Andrew Jordan/Turks relationship. Jake has previously been very helpful & supportive of his Team mates and helped coach a number.

He may have taken a different path prior to him joining the BMW squad, however he showed his intent to stamp his authority on his new team with his actions during the first race (was it?) of the 2022 season by forcibly with contact trying to get past Turkington.

On pure driving skill, Turkington is far the better of the two, but he often has to let Hill through because he values his car whilst it appears that Hill doesn't seem to care.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4189636)   #828
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with all BTCC drivers, there are some who let their skill do most of the driving. Some let their emotions do the driving, and others let their ego do the driving.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 10:34 (Ref:4189642)   #829
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As with all BTCC drivers, there are some who let their skill do most of the driving. Some let their emotions do the driving, and others let their ego do the driving.
And what do you do when you're racing?
Old 22 Dec 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4189646)   #830
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
And what do you do when you're racing?
Over the course of a single race, usually a bit of all three!
Old 22 Dec 2023, 14:58 (Ref:4189652)   #831
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OR:

He'll be defending his TCR championship.

Seems that way, rumours are he's staying with the TCR Cupra, but as part of a team, and adding a bit of oval racing in with it.

From what one of his mechanics said last year with the TCR car bought the TBL and BTCC lease money would pay most of his 2024 entry fees in TCR UK, plus he can't be bothered with all of the hassle of getting sponsorship together, organising hospitality along with 10 intense weekends, pre-season testing, pre-race shakedowns and all the stuff that goes with it just to 'run at the back' when in TCR he just turns up, tests on Friday, and has a chance of winning on the weekend, then heads off home without having to worry about anything for a month.

Having said that, I have seen him in the paddock at loads of BTCC races this year......
Old 22 Dec 2023, 15:54 (Ref:4189655)   #832
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Seems that way, rumours are he's staying with the TCR Cupra, but as part of a team, and adding a bit of oval racing in with it.

From what one of his mechanics said last year with the TCR car bought the TBL and BTCC lease money would pay most of his 2024 entry fees in TCR UK, plus he can't be bothered with all of the hassle of getting sponsorship together, organising hospitality along with 10 intense weekends, pre-season testing, pre-race shakedowns and all the stuff that goes with it just to 'run at the back' when in TCR he just turns up, tests on Friday, and has a chance of winning on the weekend, then heads off home without having to worry about anything for a month.

Having said that, I have seen him in the paddock at loads of BTCC races this year......
Fair comment, makes a lot of sense. I don't know Carl that well but that sounds exactly how he would look at it.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 16:11 (Ref:4189660)   #833
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He seems very shrewd does Carl. I’m sure he would use his TBL if he felt it worthwhile. We’ll see
Old 22 Dec 2023, 18:40 (Ref:4189664)   #834
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He seems very shrewd does Carl. I’m sure he would use his TBL if he felt it worthwhile. We’ll see
Very shrewd businessman, I was at his place a few weeks ago and it's a proper place. He was at Brands for the last race of the year to collect his Cupra.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 18:56 (Ref:4189666)   #835
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:

Yes, but you were (obviously) at loads of BTCC races this year, and you're not about to start a team? So maybe he's not.
Old 22 Dec 2023, 20:10 (Ref:4189668)   #836
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, but you were (obviously) at loads of BTCC races this year, and you're not about to start a team? So maybe he's not.
Come on chaps it is Christmas….
Old 22 Dec 2023, 22:07 (Ref:4189672)   #837
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe Coffinpilot also doesn't own a TBL and an NGTC spec Cupra?
Old 22 Dec 2023, 23:26 (Ref:4189674)   #838
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You could also Throw in prize money you get for pole position and finishing in the top 3 in both TCR UK races
Old 22 Dec 2023, 23:43 (Ref:4189679)   #839
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Maybe Coffinpilot also doesn't own a TBL and an NGTC spec Cupra?
I've got no idea. I know Carl, but I don't know Coffinpilot. He could be a team owner for all I know!

But you know more. Come on, fess up!
Old 23 Dec 2023, 00:47 (Ref:4189685)   #840
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prize money is what's lacking in BTCC , should be like the modern f1 ,earn millions from doing a bad job earn even more from doing a good job . I'm sure Mr Gow could make it happen .
Old 23 Dec 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4189699)   #841
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
Prize money is what's lacking in BTCC , should be like the modern f1 ,earn millions from doing a bad job earn even more from doing a good job . I'm sure Mr Gow could make it happen .

I would think that he could make it happen, however, who do you think would pay for it? I'm not sure that ITV would like to stump up when they could easily find other things to broadcast, whilst I'm pretty certain that spectators numbers would be severely affected if ticket prices needed to be raised to cover the cash prizes.

As for bringing in additional sponsors to fund cash prizes, I can only think that that would be difficult, especially when one considers the problems already confronted by many drivers in finding suitable funding.

And don't forget that F1 is, essentially, a business with the drivers basically "self-employed employees" of the teams tied in by contracts, whilst in the BTCC the drivers, largely, need outside employment to cover their living costs.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 08:32 (Ref:4189700)   #842
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would think that he could make it happen, however, who do you think would pay for it? I'm not sure that ITV would like to stump up when they could easily find other things to broadcast, whilst I'm pretty certain that spectators numbers would be severely affected if ticket prices needed to be raised to cover the cash prizes.

As for bringing in additional sponsors to fund cash prizes, I can only think that that would be difficult, especially when one considers the problems already confronted by many drivers in finding suitable funding.

And don't forget that F1 is, essentially, a business with the drivers basically "self-employed employees" of the teams tied in by contracts, whilst in the BTCC the drivers, largely, need outside employment to cover their living costs.
btcc has a prize pool of just over £250k which is shared amongst all teams and given to them in an allocation of free tyres at each round
Old 23 Dec 2023, 10:04 (Ref:4189704)   #843
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC prize money matches many other top level national championships on the planet.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 10:06 (Ref:4189705)   #844
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll see Boardley running his own Cupra, probably driving it himself
That'll be a long pit stop if he has a puncture then.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4189715)   #845
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
btcc has a prize pool of just over £250k which is shared amongst all teams and given to them in an allocation of free tyres at each round
It does I know ,however I do believe that it's time to look at a scheme for cash prizes as well as tyres . The drivers have to have something to sell their sponsors now , the green hybrid thing isnt enough , it's a gimmick and is the source of many teams financial struggles .Advertising is ok but I'm sure if there was more cash to win then drivers could sell it more , who's going to pay for it ? well given the tv schedule and it's long slot , air time is plenty to bring a brand into the home .Insurance , fuel companies ,finance , banks etc a bit of everything would soon see a decent pot to win cash , it's a simple question I was once asked in the paddock . What is it you win ,I was asked , tyres I said , he looked around and said all this effort and money to win tyres? He was 10 years old , but he had a point .
Old 23 Dec 2023, 14:46 (Ref:4189716)   #846
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
I've got no idea. I know Carl, but I don't know Coffinpilot. He could be a team owner for all I know!

But you know more. Come on, fess up!
I honestly don't, all I know is Boardley has a Cupra and a TBL, and at least one senior member of staff from HARD is working for him. I'd just assumed that he'd be running the car in next year's BTCC. I really can't see HARD continuing to use Boardley or Moffats TBLs though.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 14:52 (Ref:4189717)   #847
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And where does this magic money tree grow?
Old 23 Dec 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4189718)   #848
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
It does I know ,however I do believe that it's time to look at a scheme for cash prizes as well as tyres . The drivers have to have something to sell their sponsors now , the green hybrid thing isnt enough , it's a gimmick and is the source of many teams financial struggles .Advertising is ok but I'm sure if there was more cash to win then drivers could sell it more , who's going to pay for it ? well given the tv schedule and it's long slot , air time is plenty to bring a brand into the home .Insurance , fuel companies ,finance , banks etc a bit of everything would soon see a decent pot to win cash , it's a simple question I was once asked in the paddock . What is it you win ,I was asked , tyres I said , he looked around and said all this effort and money to win tyres? He was 10 years old , but he had a point .

I think that you are overlooking the major sticking point in that sponsors for the BTCC teams, as well as F1 teams, are really only interested in the hospitality aspect of motor racing. They see little if any return from their "advertising" but do gain client appreciation from the hospitality provided.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 17:38 (Ref:4189722)   #849
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not following how someone winning £1500 instead of a set of tyres makes it more attractive to sponsors?
Old 23 Dec 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4189723)   #850
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
8 BTCC and 5 TCR races. I can confirm I'm not entering the BTCC, I can probably afford a used Hard Passat Scalextric car, but I don't think it's quite within the rules!

If you know him well, can you ask him if the rumours that Goodyear have advised the TCR teams that they'll have to use different tyres at Thruxton next year (adding £2,000) to their bill for the year is true?) Assuming the tales of him returning are true!

On the prize money thing, I wonder if they will continue it, the championship coordinator has left, stories being he isn't being replaced because they series overspent a little last season.