Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2976994)   #851
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh the joys of watching the poms have a good whinge, I love it, get over the whole thing and join the modern world. The series isn't that exciting that missing out on half of it would make any difference anyway. BE has emasculated the whole thing to make it so rule entwined it is a bit like Formula Vee, a pity it is not as exciting to watch. Keep going I am enjoying you lot wring your hands and crying in your soup.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2977017)   #852
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Any programme with adverts included in the schedule is poor in comparison. Unless Sky have a two hour build up so they can offer the same indepth analysis the BBC provide with their need for adverts aswell, I seriously doubt it'll be as good. The fact they have idiots rumoured or confirmed in Jardine, and Allen is enough to worry any British fan I would imagine. James Allen getting all creepy over Hamilton throughout the race is a massive turn off for me and I'm a Hamilton supporter. Even Brundle couldn't even that out with his input IMO.
Are Sky bringing Jardine & James Allen back?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2977025)   #853
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Oh the joys of watching the poms have a good whinge, I love it, get over the whole thing and join the modern world. The series isn't that exciting that missing out on half of it would make any difference anyway. BE has emasculated the whole thing to make it so rule entwined it is a bit like Formula Vee, a pity it is not as exciting to watch. Keep going I am enjoying you lot wring your hands and crying in your soup.
You need to get out more by the sounds of things mate. If you enjoy watching people whinge, there must be something you are trying to counteract.

I do have a question, is the word 'Pom' considered an offensive word in Australia? I know us Brits aren't bothered if we are called poms or not, but I have encountered being called a pom in a heated debate before and never got an answer as to why it was used? Or is it just less taxing than typing 'Brit' or 'British'?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2977027)   #854
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Are Sky bringing Jardine & James Allen back?
I don't know thats what I was asking. I've seen both names rumoured.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2977036)   #855
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You need to get out more by the sounds of things mate. If you enjoy watching people whinge, there must be something you are trying to counteract.

I do have a question, is the word 'Pom' considered an offensive word in Australia??
Not by me. It is just like you calling Americans Yanks or New Zealanders Kiwis.

If you enjoy watching people whinge, there must be something you are trying to counteract. I don't get the meaning here but have a good day thinking about Sky TV. You lot have been stitched up proper as you would say so get over it. 50 pages plus of complaining and carrying on, has it made you feel any better or got you anywhere?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2977057)   #856
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Not by me. It is just like you calling Americans Yanks or New Zealanders Kiwis.
I know some Americans don't like being called Yanks so I tend not to use it incase I offend, but I get your point. I wasn't offended being called a pom anyway, just thought I'd ask.
Quote:
If you enjoy watching people whinge, there must be something you are trying to counteract. I don't get the meaning here but have a good day thinking about Sky TV. You lot have been stitched up proper as you would say so get over it. 50 pages plus of complaining and carrying on, has it made you feel any better or got you anywhere?
I've only personally complained on a few of the 50 pages, but yes it has made me feel better getting some of my thoughts off my chest.

Complaining on here hasn't got us anywhere but the feeling from fans has been widely publicised, and has been discussed before a government select committee by MP Don Foster. Now I wouldn't want to accuse you of coming into this thread for abit of fishing, but what is your problem here? It doesn't affect you it seems, so why does it matter whether people are complaining or not?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2977166)   #857
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely as Brits we should be having a cup of tea with the odd bit of tutting in reaction to F1 moving to Sky?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2977189)   #858
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

People like myself from next season will have no choice but to avoid a races results all day and look forward to a stripped down highlights show at 6pm on a Sunday. You are going to have the priviledge of watching all the races live for goodness sake!

The other impact of all this is how quiet the forums will be around the time of the races as a large chunk of posters will be avoiding them until they have seen the race. Its going to be annoying when a discussion is underway and a poster comes in and makes all the same points again, asks the same questions, only with the threads to fill up with people saying, "we've already said that" lol. "Well I've only just seen the race so tough!" I enjoy going on the live F1 chat during races as people discuss things as they happen and things are spotted that others have missed. Will these be set up for delayed viewers to use I wonder? Live timing is also something which is useful to view when watching a race as it puts into context how well drivers are doing rather than the odd glimpse you see on screen. Will a delayed live timing be supplied? I doubt it as the highlights will have laps missing and the hour build up with all the information leading into the race will be shortened too.

You've got to understand that this is pretty rubbish if you can't afford Sky and for some of the diehard fans who have followed the sport for so long, it will take alot of the excitement out of the whole experience.
Fantastic post. Never underestimate how little Bernie Ecclestone cares about us little people. He really couldn't give two hoots. Not out of spite, but out of caring for the sport, I hope the Sky thing backfires and sponsors pull out and he sees the error of his ways. If F1 suffers commercially because of this, he'll have to go back to terrestrial.

Last edited by Born Racer; 26 Oct 2011 at 15:35.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2977190)   #859
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Oh the joys of watching the poms have a good whinge, I love it, get over the whole thing and join the modern world.
Well, some of us are whinging about Sky
Old 26 Oct 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2977284)   #860
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Well, some of us are whinging about Sky
Indeed. Many would not bother to sign up on the basis of what's already available that's sub-standard.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2977296)   #861
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have no problem with Casper using Poms. Let's leave this behind. I'd have thought that an Aussie would appreciate a good bit of whinging.

Anyway, back to topic, sky pure evil, or what?

I haven't seem any James Allen rumours. Any links?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2977302)   #862
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

I haven't seem any James Allen rumours. Any links?
If there are, let's hope they're not true. Because some might think that James Allen getting back into F1, in any high profile capacity, is reason enough not to watch F1 on Sky, at all.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2977305)   #863
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
If there are, let's hope they're not true. Because some might think that James Allen getting back into F1, in any high profile capacity, is reason enough not to watch F1 on Sky, at all.
I'm glad we agree on something..
Most of the talk of this was around the beginning of August on autosport, and nothing was confirmed as far as I am aware, although F1 related people were tweeting it as being a strong possibility. Maybe they saw the 'Keep James Allen Away from F1' facebook page..

A good writer but creepy to listen to when he gets all excited about Jenson and Lewis. Yuck.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2977315)   #864
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I bought the T-Shirt, literally!

Autosport you say, oh.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2977321)   #865
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

A good writer but creepy to listen to when he gets all excited about Jenson and Lewis. Yuck.
Not particularly for that, more than for when he gets all dewy eyed and rose tinted glazed about Ferrari. He named his kid 'Enzo' ferchrissakes!
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2977324)   #866
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Sorry if this topic has already been brought up but i havent read all 51 pages of whats been going on, but what races do people think the BBC will be covering next year?

I heard they will be covering half the races so 10 is this correct?
We know they will cover Britain, Monaco and Brazil. The big question is whether they have choice in what other races they get. If so, they will go for the classic venues and races that work well timing wise i.e. Canada, US, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Singapore and maybe Barcelona or Abu Dhabi.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2977330)   #867
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I bought the T-Shirt, literally!

Autosport you say, oh.
Avoid their forums, its a massive troll convention full of complete idiots.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2977331)   #868
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Some say that Sky will use the guys on Speed TV (owned by News Corp) to cover the races on Sky.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2977338)   #869
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Not particularly for that, more than for when he gets all dewy eyed and rose tinted glazed about Ferrari. He named his kid 'Enzo' ferchrissakes!
He latches onto anything with history and tries to over romanticize it. During the 2008 Monaco GP I think he said Hamilton and Senna in the same sentence 16 times. "And here he is following in the footsteps oh his hero, the late, great Ayrton Senna" *Brundle interupts*... Allen tries again Senna, Hamilton, Senna, Hamilton!!

Now I'm a fan of Hamilton, but I was also a fan of Senna when he was alive and didn't appreciate this constant needless dribble. I'm surprised Lewis didn't get a restraining order slapped on Allen as soon as he got into parc Ferme and stocked up on 'Creep Spray' for the remainder of the season.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2977339)   #870
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Some say that Sky will use the guys on Speed TV (owned by News Corp) to cover the races on Sky.
Most American race fans I know listen to BBC feeds because the Speed Coverage is so dire. If true that is brilliant news.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2977354)   #871
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And he assured us that the kid wasn't named after Ferrari

Quote:
I'm surprised Lewis didn't get a restraining order slapped on Allen as soon as he got into parc Ferme and stocked up on 'Creep Spray' for the remainder of the season.
Lewis has been known to romanticize over Senna too (and comparisons iirc) so i think that JA is safe on that one! But yes your right, he did go on and on and on about Lewis (Jenson before that) although if i seem to remember correctly, it was an ITV thing too. I once remember stopping count at about 20 times after Steve Ryder mentioned the name Lewis, within about about 5 minutes of the show starting.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2977384)   #872
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I pointed out about 57 odd pages back the big picture isn't about Sky and F1, it's about Sky wanting to completely destroy the BBC in order to increase it's profit and influence in the UK.

James Murdoch, who isn't above paying policemen or politicians to do his bidding, is the problem here. If Brundle takes the Murdoch shilling then at least we'll know where his priorities lie.

This article in today's Guardian refers: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...ssions-murdoch

Eventually the truth will out, it usually does.....
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2977537)   #873
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Foster raised fears in September that no one was speaking on behalf of Formula One viewers and that there were "glaring problems" with accounts given by the BBC, Sky and Formula One over how the deal came about.

In a letter seen by the Guardian and sent to Foster earlier this week, Whittingdale said: "The committee has received a large number of emails and letters on the subject.

"The new licensing agreement for Formula One coverage is a commercial decision for the BBC and Formula One Management. However, the committee will be holding its annual evidence session with the chairman of the BBC Trust and the director general of the BBC in December.

"It is highly likely that members will wish to explore at that meeting some of the concerns that have been expressed over Formula One."

The BBC said that the decision over who broadcasts the sport is down to Formula One Management (Fom).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-f1-deal-bskyb
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2977543)   #874
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
If Brundle takes the Murdoch shilling then at least we'll know where his priorities lie.
Do we? Or does it mean that, as a serious broadcaster, Martin gets to be on TV for every race, not just half?

Jeff Stelling and Eammon Holmes, to name but 2 present on terrestrial TV, yet also take Sky's money, they don't seem any different to me.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2977803)   #875
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Most American race fans I know listen to BBC feeds because the Speed Coverage is so dire. If true that is brilliant news.
Fortunately I don't have that problem as I live here but it is a shame the BBC have gone with this decision and this has a lot to do with the BBC cutting back because they overspent.

Tags
outrage, sky