Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3431808)   #851
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
But I found it even more amazing how Lewis imploded mentally after a single qualifying session.
i feel like i have missed some crucial story here of LH's life coming apart at the seams after this mistake.

these are some of the most boring people in the world we are talking about...in all likelihood after hanging his head, he went home, ate a piece of unmarinated fish and rice, went to bed at 9, and woke up the next morning to continue with his training program.

we should all wish we all were so stable when it came to handling a public mistake.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3431809)   #852
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think people have a terrible habit of judging an entire mindset on a single interview lasting but a minute or so. a reaction isn't a state of mind, it's simply a display of what they're thinking at any one time.

and for someone who devotes their entire being to that race, right there, whichever one it is, losing it is devastating. for those who don't (right or wrong, like chillibowl says it's just a different approach), the reaction will be completely different.

perhaps it can indeed be simplified to just that - one only sees the here and now, and the other is more of a "big picture" kind of guy. but in saying that am i guilty of judging mindsets based on a short interview?
Old 8 Jul 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3431812)   #853
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
but in saying that am i guilty of judging mindsets based on a short interview?
include me in that too.

dont mean to come down on anyone for it either, just see the emotion as positive i guess.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3431821)   #854
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
these are some of the most boring people in the world we are talking about...in all likelihood after hanging his head, he went home, ate a piece of unmarinated fish and rice, went to bed at 9, and woke up the next morning to continue with his training program.
I actually think that's exactly what he did!
Old 8 Jul 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3431833)   #855
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I still don't see NR being under LH's skin.

Coming second to someone, anyone, means you will be a bit dejected. You want to win. Doesn't mean they are getting under your skin. Just means you have competition! You might be pee'd off with yourself because you always know places where you could have been better.

I wonder if LH is now getting under NR skin? He's within a few points, and has more wins to him name this season...Actually, I don't wonder it.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3431855)   #856
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

actually looked it up. its a real thing apparently. how effective the trade is of course another matter.

not going to deny LH seems more governed by his emotions than NR does but only time will tell if that is the negative trait that some here are suggesting it is.

rather for all the drivers/athletes one could point to that were successful because of their clinical/emotionless nature i can point to one who found success by wearing their emotions on their sleeve.

at this point its just different approaches.
Indeed, different approaches. And how dull the world would be if everyone were the same.

And being emotionally driven has plus points too, just as being supposedly cool can have its drawbacks. Hamilton has been more successful than most, so he doesn't need to change much. Nigel Mansell is another example, a groaning bell-end of a man most of the time but used his immense anger at being born in the Midlands and tiresome inferiority complex to fuel some of the most outrageous drives ever seen (and the odd black flag).

Psychology is big in other sports and is a big area of investment. A lot of tennis players, football teams, rugby teams etc... employ mind coaching. It was something Jackie Stewart mentioned a couple of years ago as well come to think of it, I think he recommended Grosjean employ one when he was being a persistent wally. Trying one would surely be, at worst, harmless and at best hugely beneficial when it came to mental approach and compartmentalising ones emotions. How you think, after all, is always of utmost importance.

Or, like bella said, I read too much into things. The truth probably lies in the middle somewhere.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3431895)   #857
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there is one victory Hamilton wants other than Monaco, it's to win the German GP over his "not german" teammate.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3431950)   #858
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
If there is one victory Hamilton wants other than Monaco, it's to win the German GP over his "not german" teammate.
In his not german car!!
Old 9 Jul 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3432021)   #859
Articus
Veteran

Old 9 Jul 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3432129)   #860
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Psychology is big in other sports and is a big area of investment. A lot of tennis players, football teams, rugby teams etc... employ mind coaching. It was something Jackie Stewart mentioned a couple of years ago as well come to think of it, I think he recommended Grosjean employ one when he was being a persistent wally. Trying one would surely be, at worst, harmless and at best hugely beneficial when it came to mental approach and compartmentalising ones emotions. How you think, after all, is always of utmost importance.
it's massive in the junior ranks, mostly it's the little scro... darlings who haven't quite got the talent who exploit that and the physio/trainer side of things to polish their abilities and be the best they can be. admirable really, but ultimately fruitless because invariably they get pantsed on track by some stupidly gifted kid whose main food groups are pizza and beer and who thinks mind games is a card trick.

whoever grosjean employed worked. but there's plenty of quacks out there who just talk nonsense, and finding someone with a specific approach that fits a particular driver is challenging to say the least.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3432174)   #861
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I still don't see NR being under LH's skin.

Coming second to someone, anyone, means you will be a bit dejected. You want to win. Doesn't mean they are getting under your skin. Just means you have competition! You might be pee'd off with yourself because you always know places where you could have been better.

I wonder if LH is now getting under NR skin? He's within a few points, and has more wins to him name this season...Actually, I don't wonder it.
Competition is during the race. Getting under the skin is what can happen at the end of the race when you finish second to a guy in the same machinery whilst pursuing a total dedication to victory and having an expectation of victory yourself. He got flustered, made some erratic remarks as has been discussed on this forum. It's not a terminal condition though - as Hamilton himself may very well prove. He's certainly in a position now to get under Rosberg's skin should circumstance, talent and focus combine to give Hamilton that edge.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3432176)   #862
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Maldonado principle.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3432181)   #863
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Maldonado principle.
If it moves, drive into it?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3432194)   #864
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No that was me turning up late, like Maldonado .
Old 9 Jul 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3432201)   #865
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah! Comprendé!
Old 11 Jul 2014, 01:32 (Ref:3432648)   #866
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Maldonado principle.
"If it moves, drive into it?" Garcon

Brilliant!
Old 11 Jul 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3432691)   #867
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's massive in the .

whoever grosjean employed worked. but there's plenty of quacks out there who just talk nonsense, and finding someone with a specific approach that fits a particular driver is challenging to say the least.
Oh yes, totally agree. It would be entirely possible to go down the Glenn Hoddle road of faith healing craziness if you didn't do it properly.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3432751)   #868
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the annoying thing is, the people best equipped to help someone, really help them are the people around them - their parents, friends and their partner. but it takes a combination of knowing them really well and a balanced, analytical mind to be able to do that. the celebrity girlfriends are usually too self-absorbed and focussed on their own fame to help with that, and the family can often be blinded by the "of course you're the best" and "you're always right" branches of support. you see that a lot in the junior stuff - the kids get really upset and angry (and cry to daddy who launches both barrels) if their engineers read them the riot act and tell them to pull their socks up.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3434355)   #869
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nico is to give Hamilton a run for his money for a few more years.

Will Mercedes repay Nico's commitment to the team at season's end?
Old 16 Jul 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3434527)   #870
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
speaking of money, no mention of how much NR signed for.

i find the timing a bit strange too as one would imagine NR's value would go up dramatically if he wins the WDC this year.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3434537)   #871
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'm sure there's a WDC clause in it.

However I'm also sure most paid F1 drivers aren't motivated by money. To paraphrase Eddie Irvine, it doesn't really matter after the first five million a season...
Old 16 Jul 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3434552)   #872
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i suppose. anything over 5 mil may not make a difference to the driver but all things being equal, the driver making more money indicates the one the team will support...as i would imagine he discovered when partnered with MS.

so i should have said no mention if his deal is the same as his team mates.

it may not be a motivator for NR but perhaps knowing their deals are different is a motivator for LH? anyways another layer to what is already a tightly fought battle both on track and also off.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3434702)   #873
Articus
Veteran

Lewis Hamilton fortunately already has a drivers title to his name but Lewis Hamilton could potentially made NR's life hell in the next few years. The fact is that when Lewis Hamilton get's it together, he can't be stopped. So Rosberg needs to figure out how to go faster because you can't depend on Hamilton showing poorly to win the WDC.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3434786)   #874
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
speaking of money, no mention of how much NR signed for.
Reported to be worth EUR 55 million.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3434799)   #875
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Lewis Hamilton fortunately already has a drivers title to his name but Lewis Hamilton could potentially made NR's life hell in the next few years. The fact is that when Lewis Hamilton get's it together, he can't be stopped. So Rosberg needs to figure out how to go faster because you can't depend on Hamilton showing poorly to win the WDC.
Seems to have figured it out, Nico has outqualified Hambo in the last four races and lead him in all of them!
Guess Nico has learned the value of withholding his data.