Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Oct 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3582856)   #9201
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Does ACO have plans to extend the ERS allowance? I mean, what if the teams would have the technological ability to harvest more than 8MJ over a LM lap, at any point in the near future?
10 MJ subcategory guidelines are being worked on by the ACO, to be introduced in 2017 or 2018 at the latest. http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...brid-subclass/

I reckon if someone wants to work on a range-extender solution, they'll probably put them in Garage 56 before writing the regs for that solution for the next year.
Old 14 Oct 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3582872)   #9202
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks.

I'm sorry I asked that too early. I saw it later on the sportscars rumours thread.

Sad to see the aero reduction talk again but, luckly, that won't come next year. At least it's just the early ideas of one ACO guy. Audi already expressed their dislike for change in aero reg in near future, so that gives hope.
Old 14 Oct 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3582908)   #9203
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Define "soon" ?

If you mean fifty years from now, I don't care that much
Probably not fifty years, but ten or fifteen, we might. The technology should be ready at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
"Investments are to be reduced by some one billion euros per year", but that's also specific to VW, not VAG.

ps. That press release sounds like... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4
VAG/VW cannot afford to let out false statements and press realises in these days. Besides, I'm working with Volkswagen products, and these plans really is the next step for Volkswagen compared to what they have now. They will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Yup, and in Sweden they already do that for street cars, or, at least, in some few places there.
We had this in Denmark, with a full infrastructure of battery change stations. The company went bankrupt, as nobody believed in it.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3582983)   #9204
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I hope that in Shanghai that Audi will have a larger collection of photos that they'll post to Audi Media Center, and not just because of me thinking that the Fuji spec car (which is supposed to be run until the end of the season) looks cool.

The Audi Sport press photos are usually pretty good quality and can be downloaded in medium (read: very large) and large (read: insanely large) sizes that allow you to spot details. One that I noticed is that the lower front fenders have a bulge that the dive planes attach to. And the upper section has almost a dive plane/channel shape to it. Sort of reminds me of the Honda HSV-10 Super GT car that had a dive plane shape to it's front bumper cover when Super GT banned dive planes on the GT500 cars.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 00:13 (Ref:3583989)   #9205
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
An article on Motorsport Total suggest that Audi, while updating the cars' aero package for Fuji, also found out what Porsche were up to on their pit stops, and did a similar optimization of the fuel flow into the fuel tank. It's legal for right now, so they may as well join the dance with Porsche until such a loophole may be closed next season.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 05:52 (Ref:3584032)   #9206
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
An article on Motorsport Total suggest that Audi, while updating the cars' aero package for Fuji, also found out what Porsche were up to on their pit stops, and did a similar optimization of the fuel flow into the fuel tank. It's legal for right now, so they may as well join the dance with Porsche until such a loophole may be closed next season.
If it is legal and everyone is doing it, why is there a need to close the "loophole". Is that not just regulation for regulation sake?
Old 19 Oct 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3584054)   #9207
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So that suggests that the latest rule clarification was just that. Porsche's solution appears to be fully legal and Audi have now followed the path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
If it is legal and everyone is doing it, why is there a need to close the "loophole". Is that not just regulation for regulation sake?
In the present instance, there is still some objective justification to close that "loophole", namely to ensure that everybody sticks to the original commitment to guarantee equalization of refueling times. I do trust that Toyota, Rebellion Racing and ByKolles are still very much unsatisfied by the situation.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3584058)   #9208
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
So that suggests that the latest rule clarification was just that. Porsche's solution appears to be fully legal and Audi have now followed the path.

In the present instance, there is still some objective justification to close that "loophole", namely to ensure that everybody sticks to the original commitment to guarantee equalization of refueling times. I do trust that Toyota, Rebellion Racing and ByKolles are still very much unsatisfied by the situation.
I suppose in theory...but in practical terms, I'm sure Toyota will catch up (only a question of time) and what does the "equalization of refueling times" actually mean for Rebellion and Bykolles: That they will finish 4 laps behind the Manufacturers cars instead of 3 and 3/4 laps behind?
Old 19 Oct 2015, 16:20 (Ref:3584134)   #9209
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The Porsche (and now Audi) solution(s) don't seem to be prohibited by the wording of the rule book. After all, they're not bypassing/circumventing the rig flow restrictor (fitted to the outlet on the feeder tank) or doing anything to the fuel delivery systems themselves, which, of course, is big-time illegal. Everything they've done is on the cars (fuel inlet and tank feeder pipe), which are parts of the car and, apparently, legal for work to be done on.

The question is the spirit of the regs, which is what Toyota and the LMP1 privateer teams are still unhappy about. Audi weren't particularly happy about it, either, but they do have a couple of championships that they'd like to win so they knew that they had to join the party or risk being left behind by Porsche.

But exploiting what the rules do--or don't--say is a time honored tradition and Porsche have largely written the book on how to do so though the years. And in motorsports, basically, if you're not cheatin' or bendin' the rules, you're not tryin' had enough. Doesn't make it right, but you can't always play clean and expect the sanctioning body to bail you out every time when someone gets and edge by exploiting a rules loophole or the wording of a rule. Audi aren't saints when it comes to this, let alone Porsche, but then again, no one exactly is in this regard.

There were two reasons why the ACO/FIA released that bulletin: to clarify their stance on if what Porsche was doing was legal and thus free reign for everyone else, or clamping down on what Porsche were doing and putting restrictions on it. Since Audi are doing it now, we can assume that the ACO have taken the former path, at least until the end of the season. Though through implication (it was included with the 2016 rules proposal drafts), it seems that this also applies for '16 as well.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3584159)   #9210
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Didn't Audi have a test at Aragon(?) scheduled between Fuji and Shanghai?
Old 20 Oct 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3584272)   #9211
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Not just Audi.
Tyre testing. (Michelin test)
Old 22 Oct 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3584830)   #9212
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Any news from the Audi end of the Michelin Aragon test? Only tid bit I've seen was about Porsche (refer to the Porsche thread for that).
Old 26 Oct 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3585762)   #9213
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi using the LM noses on their cars whist in transport containers? Must not plan on using them in races for the end of the season if they're doing that--better to sacrifice the LM nose that won't be used anymore this season should the car come loose in the container and move around.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...1e&oe=56C29ADB
Old 27 Oct 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3585967)   #9214
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Another relatively rare look at the Audi R18 with most of its bodywork removed:

(source: FIA-WEC photo stream)

I am trying to figure out if what we see here in the sidepod section (especially the vertical element with what appear to be multiple inlets) is a part of the cooling system or just some structural element.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3585994)   #9215
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I think that's the splitter that all Audi LMP cars have had that divert air to the radiator/oil cooler and the intercooler. Even the R8 had them, but until now I've never seen that splitter have what looks like intake slots in it. Could be lightening holes, or maybe intakes for the hybrid system cooler.
Old 28 Oct 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3586251)   #9216
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Something stupid, I guess, but with the rules being what they are for roof height and that Audi just need something to be at a certain height to run a fastback roof like on the older R18 variants, I was wondering if something like the rails on the roof of the Audi Sportback/Avant/Allroad hatchbacks and wagons could conceivably suffice? They could also house the hard points/quick release mounts for the system that the cranes use to move the cars around now, and provide back up mountings for lines or hooks.

But of course, one would have to ask, could you get a roof rack with that...
Old 29 Oct 2015, 07:00 (Ref:3586332)   #9217
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Rain predicted for Shanghai race day: Advantage Audi.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 09:37 (Ref:3586354)   #9218
Piritos
Rookie

Hungary
Piritos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It depends... In Fuji they were very good in the rain, but then they were slower than Porsche when the track was drying. Rain on race day can easily mean starting with rain then drying out, so it could be advantage Porsche. But as we saw last time, so much depends on the strategy too - Audi failed in Fuji, maybe they'll be too consevative in China? We'll see.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3586364)   #9219
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi were fast in the rain, intermediates, and the dry. However, they did trail off during the times between hopping from one tire to another when it wasn't full inters or full dry.

I suppose that could've been car set up issues, since the bodywork was still new to Audi.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3586401)   #9220
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Also, most of the forecasts that I've read say that only light rain will be around Sunday Morning. It could be gone even before the race starts, so even if Audi have an advantage in the rain, what they gain from it might be minimal.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 05:27 (Ref:3586563)   #9221
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news about Audi's engine situation?
Old 30 Oct 2015, 07:50 (Ref:3586577)   #9222
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Also, most of the forecasts that I've read say that only light rain will be around Sunday Morning. It could be gone even before the race starts, so even if Audi have an advantage in the rain, what they gain from it might be minimal.
Forecast I am using says 50%- 60% chance throughout the day.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/tod...hai%2C%20China
Old 1 Nov 2015, 02:12 (Ref:3587022)   #9223
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
We won't have to wait long to see at least the initial version of the 2016 Audi R18. It should be publicly launched Nov. 28th.
Old 1 Nov 2015, 02:34 (Ref:3587030)   #9224
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As if we don't already know Porsche is going to sweep this race....
but you don't really expect any other outcome do you Nice for you Porsche boys, depressing for us Audi fans...

I'll be watching to first hour to see if anything can keep up with the Porsches...Then just cutting it off. I'm a poor sport you see
Old 1 Nov 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3587154)   #9225
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
We won't have to wait long to see at least the initial version of the 2016 Audi R18. It should be publicly launched Nov. 28th.
Nice news. I hope we will get a chance to learn a bit more at this occasion about the new ERS architecture that Audi are contemplating for 2016. Battery-based energy storage is pretty much confirmed. A second ERS is a must. It will be interesting to see if Audi opt for a similar wastegate-type ERS-H like Porsche are currently using or opt for some other solution.