Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3406900)   #901
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Blimey, does she do emails now?

I can just imagine her tapping away at the Royal iPad.

"Congratulations George on reaching yr century!

You iz a true credit to our wonderful nation innit.

Keep it up. LOL!

TTFN

Liz xxx"
Well, possibly not. Probably not Facebook or Twitter either.

Reggit?

Or perhaps Google100+?
Old 16 May 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3406920)   #902
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A happy birthday to my old man George Streeter born on this day 1914 !
Yes he made it but will he like the bungee jump we've arranged for him ?
Well done George. Something for you to aim at, Gordon!
Old 16 May 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3406925)   #903
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice one Gordon.
Old 16 May 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3406926)   #904
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many Happy Returns to your Dad Gordon

From your roving racer across the pond at Road America!
Old 16 May 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3406946)   #905
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to the old feller.

We've only had one such celeb in our family as far as I know - Maggie told me she saw her first car when she was 18 although she might have been acquainted with the world famous Craigievar Express, worth a google.

What changes they have seen!
Old 16 May 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3406979)   #906
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Well done to the old feller.

What changes they have seen!
Absolutely! When you consider the first flight was only a few years before he was born and yet while in his mid 50s man walked on the moon.
Old 16 May 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3406989)   #907
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well he survived the bungee jump and yes he did get the card from Liz !
Attached Thumbnails
100.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 May 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3407010)   #908
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant many congratulations to him Gordon.

P.s. Must be something wrong with my monitor - he looks younger than you do in your glam photos!
Old 16 May 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3407044)   #909
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A happy birthday to my old man George Streeter born on this day 1914 !
Yes he made it but will he like the bungee jump we've arranged for him ?
Big congrats to him Gordon, he was very young when he had you then.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 16 May 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3407051)   #910
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Brilliant many congratulations to him Gordon.

P.s. Must be something wrong with my monitor - he looks younger than you do in your glam photos!
I was thinking something similar........he looks great! All power to his elbow
Old 16 May 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3407060)   #911
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've booked myself in for a few Botox injections
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2014, 05:08 (Ref:3407138)   #912
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic Gordon, many happy returns to your dad, certainly the best thread to post his excellent news.
Old 17 May 2014, 06:09 (Ref:3407148)   #913
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely story just what we all need at moment . Happy birthday George . Here's to another 100 years
Old 17 May 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3407176)   #914
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He looks to be in the prime of life! I'll be happy if I look that well at 70...
Old 17 May 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3407189)   #915
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Cheers guys, we're having another bigger bash for him today so feel sorry for me having to endure more booze/food etc
Old 18 May 2014, 05:36 (Ref:3407393)   #916
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Also belated birthday greetings to George, Gordon! I'm keeping fingers crossed make 70, but a century- wow!

Old 18 May 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3407426)   #917
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well he survived the other big family/friends party yesterday in a local village hall complete with Larkins ale !
Lots of people popped in including family friend veteran ITN newscaster Sandy Gall who is now 86 himself and lives just down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
G S.jpg  
Old 18 May 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3407429)   #918
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just brilliant, Gordon!
Old 18 May 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3407608)   #919
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Twitter is all abuzz at the moment. Nasty accident on the Mille Miglia has trashed a Gull Wing Merc. Seems the crew is OK which is more than can be said for the car.
Old 18 May 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3407614)   #920
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recorded the highlights of the first round / three races in this year's British F3 championship, mainly just to see who was in it this year. Amazingly just seven entries - seven! I know the main F3 focus is now the European series but still very sad to see the decline in British F3 compared to the 'old days'. Progress I suppose.
Old 19 May 2014, 05:28 (Ref:3407708)   #921
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I recorded the highlights of the first round / three races in this year's British F3 championship, mainly just to see who was in it this year. Amazingly just seven entries - seven! I know the main F3 focus is now the European series but still very sad to see the decline in British F3 compared to the 'old days'. Progress I suppose.
Same with FF, and yet some of the other 'starter' formula appear a lot healthier. I sometimes wonder if Ford would be better off putting their promo budget into Historic FF and FF2000......

Old 19 May 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3407766)   #922
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Same with FF, and yet some of the other 'starter' formula appear a lot healthier. I sometimes wonder if Ford would be better off putting their promo budget into Historic FF and FF2000......

I made the same observations after watching the last round of the BTCC, and where there were only about 12 FF in the TOCA package on the grid. Having thought about it a little more, could the answer lie in the way that aspiring F1 drivers need to showcase themselves. In the very dim past, the route was Karts, then FF followed by F3 and then sometimes F2 That changed very little over the years, and most F1 talent spotters picked their raw recruits from F3, groomed them a bit before plonking them in a F1 seat.

Nowadays, the F1 stardom ladder has moved, and the source for drivers for at least half the teams has become Renault 3.5, but only if the drivers can bring "loads of money". Tongue in cheek, it would only seem to be drivers able to inject bucket loads of sponsorship that have any talent currently, a very sad state of affairs.
Old 19 May 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3407783)   #923
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Nowadays, the F1 stardom ladder has moved, and the source for drivers for at least half the teams has become Renault 3.5, but only if the drivers can bring "loads of money". Tongue in cheek, it would only seem to be drivers able to inject bucket loads of sponsorship that have any talent currently, a very sad state of affairs.
I don't think it's 'tongue in cheek' Mike. Apart from the very top, most F1 drivers are 'buying their drives' with personal sponsorship, which we used to rather look down on. I think the real talent is now elsewhere or just founders completely for lack of money.
It certainly (in my view) doesn't make the sport any better - quite the opposite!
Old 19 May 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3407819)   #924
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The subject of conversation at the (brilliant as usual) Silverstone FF2000 supper gathering Saturday got round to the days when aspiring drivers would tow round Europe with their single seater, sleeping in the van or whatever and living off start- and if lucky- prize money. Sounds like a great period in Motorsport history, and almost wish I had been racing then.....

Old 19 May 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3407820)   #925
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I made the same observations after watching the last round of the BTCC, and where there were only about 12 FF in the TOCA package on the grid. Having thought about it a little more, could the answer lie in the way that aspiring F1 drivers need to showcase themselves. In the very dim past, the route was Karts, then FF followed by F3 and then sometimes F2 That changed very little over the years, and most F1 talent spotters picked their raw recruits from F3, groomed them a bit before plonking them in a F1 seat.

I happened to stumble on the GP3 web site over the weekend.

http://www.gp3series.com/Guide-to/The-Series3/

3 of the 4 champions are now in relationships with F1. Sort of like how F3 used to be.

As Johngee has observed these days more than ever the ability to get into F1 is about securing a budget source and keeping it available. Connected to that comes an entire life control programme. Many talented youngsters may not like that concept. In fact it may be that there is now so much technology involved that the balance between raw talent and competence plus the ability to learn and apply systems knowledge has swung in the favour of the systems people. The systems include all of the background training, physical, mental and PR that the youngsters seems to have to undertake.

That in itself is not unreasonable if someone else is funding your dream life with very large amount of money but it may not suit a lot fast natural talents.

Thinking about it... it has probably always been that way ...
Closed Thread