Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2596212)   #951
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Suppossedly there was an article on the subject in a French newspaper. Forgot the papers name and never read the article myself.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2596214)   #952
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Bear seems to think they won't be there, but he also apparently confused the R10 and R15.

Quote:
[...]and in the end (except if run by a privateer with drivers who have never driven for Audi) the 2009 R15 is entirely illegal. Thus Audi wouldn’t have a ready-to-race Sebring car if they wanted one[...]
The privateer bit in the regs refers to the R10.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2596217)   #953
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
ALMS/IMSA have released the 1st 2010 season Competitor Memo #10-01 pre-season adjustments.

L.P.
I wonder if there will be more balancing after the LeMans break if the officials don't get the P1/P2 equalization formula right.

I also noticed the very last line states that
"The intent is to have the ALMS rulebook released in electronic form prior to Jan 1, 2010."

Hopefully this leaves enough time for everybody to make the changes to their cars.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2596219)   #954
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I've seen nothing in the Press that would indicate that.

L.P.
Press.........yes.

The French newspaper connection would make sense. Sad if true.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2596232)   #955
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
The Bear seems to think they won't be there, but he also apparently confused the R10 and R15.

The privateer bit in the regs refers to the R10.
Yes, he did, and has fixed it now.

It seems that the "main point" (as the BBC would say) remains the same. No waiver listed for the R15 would mean it's body work remains entirely illegal, leaving Audi to "start over" on a 2010 race car.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2596235)   #956
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Yes, he did, and has fixed it now.
Good bear

Quote:
It seems that the "main point" (as the BBC would say) remains the same. No waiver listed for the R15 would mean it's body work remains entirely illegal, leaving Audi to "start over" on a 2010 race car.
And what about the Peugeot? No waiver either, and surely that's illegal in the present configuration too, at least the rear fenders.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2596248)   #957
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Good bear

And what about the Peugeot? No waiver either, and surely that's illegal in the present configuration too, at least the rear fenders.
But much less impacted by the rule change, it would seem, so adaptation to the new rules is much easier, and much more able to be race-ready by March...at least that's what I hear.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2596258)   #958
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldn't be surprised to see Audi skip Sebring, but they'll have know about the need to change the car for a while. The regs were defined at an ACO meeting a few weeks back and the teams will have been well aware of the situation then.

Ben
Old 8 Dec 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2596280)   #959
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems they will only be at Petit in '10.

L.P.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2596283)   #960
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Audi skip Sebring, but they'll have know about the need to change the car for a while. The regs were defined at an ACO meeting a few weeks back and the teams will have been well aware of the situation then.

Ben
A "few weeks" isn't much in terms of designing car changes, but I agree they should have expected that they'd have to do radical stuff to get the R15 back on the track. Here's what Murphy wrote this morning before the announcement:

Quote:
The release in the past day of the ACO’s 2010 regs sheds some light – well a little bit, anyway – on what’s likely for Audi and Peugeot in the next season. Most recently, the Bear has heard that Peugeot will contest Sebring, and Audi will be in Florida, too…but just to test. Audi will announce its plans in regard to PLM at an event in Europe this evening.

It’s conjectured that arguments between the “diesel big 2” and the ACO have delayed the rules, and in the end the 2009 R15 is entirely illegal (it’s not included in the “waiver list,” although the R10 is, with restrictions on who can enter and who can drive one). Thus Audi wouldn’t have a ready-to-race Sebring car if they wanted one, but could have one ready to race at PLM if they begin testing in Florida in March. Though there is no shortage of conflicting stories, Murphy believes both Peugeot (and just possibly Audi) will be at the Paul Ricard test in March, Peugeot (but not Audi) will race at Paul Ricard in April, and both will race at Spa. Audi will test at Sebring the week following the 12 hours, and at Paul Ricard the week after the April LMS race, then contest Spa, Le Mans, and PLM.

Since then, the announcement confirms that, and puts PLM in as a part of the "Intercontinental Cup" which means Silverstone and an asian race are added.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2596286)   #961
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there any point to running the ACO rules at Sebring if Audi isn't there. If Audi don't show I would imagine Peugeot won't be there. Who will have any reason to run in ACO trim at Sebring in 2010? Even if it was a case of one or the other coming, I don't see the point. However, if Peugeot want to go, and Audi simply haven't announced that they will be going... maybe we have a race on our hands after all.

Chris
Old 8 Dec 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2596289)   #962
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Is there any point to running the ACO rules at Sebring if Audi isn't there. If Audi don't show I would imagine Peugeot won't be there. Who will have any reason to run in ACO trim at Sebring in 2010? Even if it was a case of one or the other coming, I don't see the point.

Chris
Because then you kill any chance of ANY LMPs from Europe coming over, and Sebring loses its international appeal.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2596317)   #963
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Because then you kill any chance of ANY LMPs from Europe coming over, and Sebring loses its international appeal.
Great point, 24 Hours of Daytona anyone?
With no Audi at Sebring Peugeot will have a walk. Hopefully the rumoured Oreca and Rebellion entries materialize at least.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2596344)   #964
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many LMP1 entries would there be outside Peugeot? (Assuming of course, no Audi) Drayson, Intersport, Autocon... is that it? As far as the 2010 season is concerned, if there are no diesels at Sebring, they should revert to the combined P class and have the ability to do so every year if circumstances make sense. Why not force European teams to run to our rules anyway? GTP did that with some success. I understand if you are pandering to get a battle between the bid diesels, why you would want to run ACO rules for P1. Perhaps run the P1 cars to ACO spec and give weight and restrictor breaks to the P2 cars... oh wait...

Chris
Old 8 Dec 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2596377)   #965
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jonerz...you just confused me more than i already am about the rules differences....

Sebring is starting to look a bit lack luster at the moment, and that ain't good.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2596381)   #966
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sick to my stomach. I literally bought my Sebring tickets a couple days ago. *sigh* Who am I kidding, I'll have a *******' blast anyway. Although it makes no sense for them to, if Peugeot don't show I'll have to bring a lot more beer...
Old 8 Dec 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2596386)   #967
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
If Peugeot don't show, you might actually see a race!
Old 9 Dec 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2596412)   #968
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might not be all bad. Sure, we'd all like to see Audi/Peugeot duke it out again, but this may entice some of the European privateers.

Pretty sure Rebellion has some US sponsors, and they wanted to do at least one US race. Oreca perhaps?

Okay. So for the most part, it's bad news.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2596424)   #969
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murphy is reporting Dyson to run just 1 car with Dyson/Smith driving. Butch will take a year off and Marino will do the Enduros with Highcroft.

BIG shame Mazda didn't step up and pick up the slack (again...)

I'm still very intrigued to hear who will be the 2nd driver for Highcroft. Any ideas?
Old 9 Dec 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2596433)   #970
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Murphy is reporting Dyson to run just 1 car with Dyson/Smith driving. Butch will take a year off and Marino will do the Enduros with Highcroft.
worst news to date...
Quote:
I'm still very intrigued to hear who will be the 2nd driver for Highcroft. Any ideas?
please be Butch
Old 9 Dec 2009, 02:25 (Ref:2596437)   #971
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Is it just me or does the 2010 ALMS season extremely grim?

Lizards slimmed down, probably no Risi, Dyson down to one car, Acura back to the old chassis....and now even the series' prime event starts to take a big hit.

Aside from the PLM which is kept alive by being an Intercontinental Cup round now, this does not look good at all.

Looking forward to six hours at Laguna Seca with less than 20 cars...sigh.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2596453)   #972
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
worst news to date...

please be Butch
Agreed! I understand why Chris and Guy (who are very good racers in their own right, especially considering Chris is technically still a "gentleman driver") got the nod to run the only car (if that is, indeed, true).

However, what a shame to see what kind of reward Butch (longstanding relationship with the Dyson team and one of the best in the series - remember Lime Rock this year, when the Mazda was falling apart and Butch was able to get it to the end anyway?) and Marino (arguably the quickest driver in the Dyson paddock based on raw speed - I think cut from the same thread as his fellow Scot Allan McNish with how he handles traffic).

My only hope is that we see a BP liveried car and a Thetford Norcold liveried car, or they split the BP bucks between both cars or something because it's a shame. Especially when they actually have a decent shot at overall wins this year.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 04:37 (Ref:2596461)   #973
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Is it just me or does the 2010 ALMS season extremely grim?

Lizards slimmed down, probably no Risi, Dyson down to one car, Acura back to the old chassis....and now even the series' prime event starts to take a big hit.

Aside from the PLM which is kept alive by being an Intercontinental Cup round now, this does not look good at all.

Looking forward to six hours at Laguna Seca with less than 20 cars...sigh.
Well, there is a lot of negative rumor and speculation going around. It will be no 2008, but expect 26 cars at Laguna as a minimum. The racing will still be good, and if the ALMS can live through 2010 (highly probable) if sense wins out in the world, there will be no double dip recession and sponsors will be more liberal with their check books.

Chris
Old 9 Dec 2009, 05:09 (Ref:2596469)   #974
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Well, there is a lot of negative rumor and speculation going around. It will be no 2008, but expect 26 cars at Laguna as a minimum. The racing will still be good, and if the ALMS can live through 2010 (highly probable) if sense wins out in the world, there will be no double dip recession and sponsors will be more liberal with their check books.

Chris
You're counting the Porsche Club cars at the back amongst that 26, I guess. To get to 26, I think you'll need about 9 of those.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2596479)   #975
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post

My only hope is that we see a BP liveried car and a Thetford Norcold liveried car, or they split the BP bucks between both cars or something because it's a shame. Especially when they actually have a decent shot at overall wins this year.

I'm sure I read on a forum a while back that they will have Castrol sponsorship in lieu of BP. I have noticed a number of race Mazda's have a new sweeping graphic, influenced by the dotted line of the 787B, so that may appear on the Lola