Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2016, 19:58 (Ref:3622377)   #951
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I wish Lee McKenzie had got the gig instead of Suzi Perry. A real class act.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 04:15 (Ref:3622433)   #952
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I wish Lee McKenzie had got the gig instead of Suzi Perry. A real class act.
Lee was great!
Old 13 Mar 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3622466)   #953
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
And Alex Zanardi. By the time they all finish talking the race will be over !!!!!!!!
No Zanardi.

He just tweeted this regarding the C4 lineup: "Sorry Guys, no hard feelings but I've never agreed to be part of this team and I won't be in it. That's all."
Old 19 Mar 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3624656)   #954
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
So. Am I the only person who watched the C4 coverage of qualifying today? I've been eagerly waiting to see what everyone else thought too.
Maybe I can start the comment train rolling by admitting that I enjoyed it.
The style was similar to last year (so there was continuity), DC seemed even more relaxed (but EJ wasn't there to wind him up with his stupid comments), Mark Webber is always a joy, saying it as it is, and Steve Jones fitted in well too.
My only negative were the (necessary) advert breaks as due to the programme timing and what I was doing today, I was not able to record it to watch later enabling me to fast-forward through the breaks. (Mrs Viva was happy though because I was able to do a number of two minute washing up stints throughout the programme!)
Has anyone else got any thoughts?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 00:26 (Ref:3624794)   #955
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i liked it too - waayyyyy too many boys on there at the moment, but it was a nice return to the bbc days with jake humphrey when it felt a bit more informal and flowed a lot better.

disclaimer: that may be a personal bias towards finding the welsh accent very satisfying to listen to. in a way i miss eddie jordan being totally inarticulate, but it all came together really well and i think it's only going to get better.

hopefully we're going to hear more from karun chandhok too in the race coverage.

i'll be honest, i didn't even register the advert breaks, and the headline sponsorship from kayak is as subtle as the coverage itself. they were right to try and carry on the bbc vibe instead of trying to imitate sky's coverage.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 02:50 (Ref:3624967)   #956
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been catching up on some of the early intro to Ch 4 qualifying and I am impressed with their coverage so far.

Steve Jones fits in very well and the banter with DC and MW is more relaxed than with SP, EJ and DC.

DC was smiling a lot more too so he obviously prefers an all male team !!!

Glad they kept "The Chain" ....
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3625133)   #957
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
listened to the radio 5 coverage of the gp, and i thought it was very very good. jack, formerly of this very parish does a great job. james allen used to grate a bit but now it's a pleasure to listen to. however, i'm sure jennie gow is fantastic at information seeking and so on but her interviews were genuinely awful. hope she was just a little rusty after the off-season.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3625140)   #958
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
listened to the radio 5 coverage of the gp, and i thought it was very very good. jack, formerly of this very parish does a great job. james allen used to grate a bit but now it's a pleasure to listen to. however, i'm sure jennie gow is fantastic at information seeking and so on but her interviews were genuinely awful. hope she was just a little rusty after the off-season.
Jack...?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3625145)   #959
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Jack...?
Nicholls.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 14:36 (Ref:3625149)   #960
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched the race live earlier on so I thought I'd watch what looks like extended highlights on C4, just for comparison and basically it's the BBC with some commercials.

If they could pack the commercials either side of the race that would be welcome, particularly if they are going to show races live.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3625180)   #961
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Channel 4 took the BBC's best bits and dumped the worst.

The Beeb coverage was getting stale and old fashioned whereas this is more up to date.

For the first time in a long while I did not fall asleep and the adverts helped so I could make a cuppa tea or something else ...

Steve Jones is better than Suzi Perry, I feel. He motivates the people he is speaking to far more.

All the people who were on the BBC's F1 team that have come over seem fresher and remotivated too and I don't think that it's because the season is new.

Good to see Murray again as well.

I am sure DC is a happy bunny too, it seems that way from his performance today.

Well done Ch 4 ....
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3625193)   #962
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My verdict on Channel 4, so far:

GOOD
The production and editing was excellent. Absolutely spot-on.
DC was just as good as we would expect. And wasn't saddled with running round the grid trying to find someone to talk to.
Mark Webber was also excellent and I wouldn't expect anything else.
Karun Chandhok did pretty well too.
The advert breaks were well timed to not interfere.

BAD
That stupid intro to the intro, where they threw a McLaren out of an aeroplane. (Even if it is the best thing to do with one.)
Noisy tuneless music intruding. Especially when Lee MacWotsit was doing the qually report. I couldn't hear half she said.

INDIFFERENT
I'm not too sure about the new Fake Jake (or should that be Fake Suzy). Perhaps he'll bed in OK and eventually his voice won't grate on me so much.
Lee MacThingummy. I've never been a fan.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3625195)   #963
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Ch4 said they would show the races with no adverts. Did they follow through on their promise?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3625198)   #964
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good to hear the positive views.

Quote:
Ch4 said they would show the races with no adverts. Did they follow through on their promise?
Do you think they would lie?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3625204)   #965
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was impressed, glad they kept the theme tune.

Steve did a solid job. I didn't find anything cringeworthy with him. Mark Webber certainly didn't mince his words about the new quali and him and David gelled well as was to be expected.

Karun did a brilliant job in the pitlane and the commentary was a good as ever

The adverts during the race were ok as this was only highlights, even if they did feel a bit too long. As long as they don't show them during a live race, which is what I feel they meant, that would be fine

All in all a big thumbs up from me
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3625206)   #966
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes, I finished watching the C4 coverage a while ago and in general, I thought it was very good. As others have said, they seem to have judged well in keeping some of the BBC stuff (that did work) and dumping that which didn't.
I realise it's a commercial channel so will have to have ad breaks, but they did annoy me. I was glad that I recorded it & managed to start watching late enough in order to fast forward through them without catching up before the programme finished. (More by luck than judgement, I managed to get my strategy just right on this one!)
Unfortunately for me the timing of this programme wasn't brilliant as I had to spend the morning driving here & there, turning the car radio off every time the news came on so I could avoid the result and then use a couple of prime home time hours on Sunday afternoon to watch the race (so will probably have to do all of the washing up now for next week as my penance!)
All in all it's 9 out of 10 from me.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3625216)   #967
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This was prerecorded highlights, so maybe during a live broadcast they will pack the ads either side of the race.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3625219)   #968
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There were adverts during the race, but they didn't matter because it was edited highlights. There was never a danger of missing anything.

It's my understanding that they won't show any adverts during the running of a live race, which much mean that they will crowd them into the run-up and post-race. And quite possibly put in a super-sized batch immediately before the start and after the finish. I'll be happy with that as a viewer, but I'm not sure I would be so happy as an advertiser.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3625223)   #969
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched Sky F1 and the Channel 4 coverage...they both did a good job, I just wish these TV companies didn't feel the need to employ existing 'Sports Presenters'...I don't need the hysterical voice raising when a pass happens or nearly happens, it isn't football !...I know whats going on...leave it to the ex F1 drivers who are cool and calm like MB & DC and know what they're talking about.

Sky comes out on top for me, as they don't leave the 'race' for an Ad' break!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3625228)   #970
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't expect you to watch any other channel Rennen! I enjoy the Sky Pad too!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3625269)   #971
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They said there would be no adverts during the live races...which they mention today and said there would be no ads during the race.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3625278)   #972
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was fine. C4 did okay. I take it back re: Steve Jones too. He was all right. Much better than expected, especially by me.

Also ads will not interrupt a live GP. Only highlights but will not miss anything. So fine.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3625574)   #973
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Steve Jones was much better than I'd feared. Has obviously done his homework and seems genuinely interested. DC and Mark Webber were good, and Karun Chandhok is a welcome presence. Look forward to seeing some more talking heads like Prost and EJ. Well done Channel 4.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3626340)   #974
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Watching on C4 catchup was a waste of time. Had to turn off the ad-blocker, and forced to watch all the adverts.

Will have to record on PVR next time.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3626355)   #975
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I relented and decided to watch it on Monday evening. I fell asleep before lap 2. Restarted it and fell asleep before lap 2.

Tags
pinks