Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3080196)   #76
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It certainly wasn't thrilling; ok it got a tad close to the end but this is Monaco, where overtaking doesn't really exist.

As much as I love the spectacle of Monaco, the history and having gone to the GP twice, I'm beginning to wonder what's the point?
Old 27 May 2012, 23:25 (Ref:3080219)   #77
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Congrats to Webber, a very solid drive but you got to feel sorry for Schumi losing pole.
Why do I have to feel sorry for him? Under the current rules, he "caused an avoidable accident" and got a penalty just like anyone else would.

And if anyone had noticed his retaliation against Hamilton in qually in Spain, he would have been due another more serious penalty.

On the question of Maldonado's assault on PdlR, my first thought was to assume it was a knock-on result of the accident happening further up the grid. In which case it wouldn't deserve a penalty. But then on the one viewing of the accident from Maldonado's on-board camera it looked as if he just failed to brake for the corner. So..... maybe, maybe not.
Old 28 May 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3080239)   #78
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Why do I have to feel sorry for him? Under the current rules, he "caused an avoidable accident" and got a penalty just like anyone else would.

And if anyone had noticed his retaliation against Hamilton in qually in Spain, he would have been due another more serious penalty.

On the question of Maldonado's assault on PdlR, my first thought was to assume it was a knock-on result of the accident happening further up the grid. In which case it wouldn't deserve a penalty. But then on the one viewing of the accident from Maldonado's on-board camera it looked as if he just failed to brake for the corner. So..... maybe, maybe not.
No you don't have to feel sorry for him, that's your choice . I remember a time in F1. when racing was just about racing and penalties hardly or ever interfered. Schumi drove a stunning lap to get pole.
Old 28 May 2012, 03:30 (Ref:3080271)   #79
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, it absolutely wasn't thrilling in the sense that some of the other races have been so far this year, with guys passing each other left, right and centre...

However, I felt it was certainly interesting. Those last few laps when the lead pack closed right up were pretty tense - it was excellent driving from everyone there to not make any mistakes with such awfully second-hand tyres on such a treacherous circuit...

I tend to think it would have been a lot more interesting had the drivers really been able to push the cars (not nurse them around all day), but I guess that is the rod that F1 has made for its own back with the current rubber...
Old 28 May 2012, 04:03 (Ref:3080281)   #80
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am amazed no-one had a crack at the car infront of them - they all mustve been happy to take the points & run, & why not...
Happy Webber got the win, F1 is great this year - the way it should be
Old 28 May 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3080365)   #81
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any news on the supposed illegal underbody on the Red Bull?
Old 28 May 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3080371)   #82
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No protest, but the teams want clarification before Canada.
Old 28 May 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3080493)   #83
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's the sort of thing that happens when you make a rule change and don't think it through.
Old 28 May 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3080725)   #84
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Just after getting online for the first time since Friday, been a hectic weekend but thought I'd post this for yous. I had the chance to interview Heikki Kovalaine on Wednesday. I've also got a few photos that I can post if anyone is interested
-----
Stephen English: What are the big differences between racing for Caterham compared to your time with McLaren and Renault?
Heikki Kovalainen: For me the main difference is when I cross the start finish straight straight and I see the lap time on the dash and it is not fast enough. This is really the main difference for me. As a team I think that we have grown and as we are now we work really well. I am really happy with the way we go racing; how we prepare the cars, how we prepare for sessions, how we run the cars and how we do the debriefs and how we handle the problems.
I think, for me, it is as good as any other team but the main difference with the race team come from the factory. Obviously the factory is not as big and as efficient as someone like McLaren so we can't react to a problem as quickly as McLaren can. And then really as a driver the grip is the main difference. I don't have the same grip and the performance in the car as I had in those cars.

There have been some technical changes lately at the team with John Iley hired from McLaren as performance director what benefit will this be to the team?
I think it is a reasonable change and will have a reasonable impact on the team. He is an aerodynamist and aerodynamics are the weak area for us. We don't have grip and enough performance in the car. So he will be directly involved with that and when you see his track record it is very good. He has had stints at Ferrari and McLaren so he is very good at what he does. Everyone is expecting a lot from him and maybe other people will join the team and strengthen that area.

It looks like the top level of the team is filled with very good people. It must be a case of not having the sheer volume of numbers that most of the grid has back at base?
Yeah, we can never have as many people as someone like Red Bull or McLaren or Ferrari because it is not realistic. We are a small team and we need to somehow be more efficient and hiring someone like John is the right kind of step for us.

Thinking in terms of people like Mike Gascoyne or Mark Smith. Both made their names with small teams on small budgets such as Tyrell and Jordan when they were working on a shoestring and getting the most that they could from the budget. Presumably that has to be the main strength of Caterham going forward?
Yeah I would say so. Like I said we can never be as big and powerful as McLaren, or at least not in the near future, so we have to find more efficient ways of working. It is not necessarily big money hirings it is bringing in the right talent and bringing motivation into the team.

It's about spending the right money on the right people.
Yeah exactly.

Presumably making it into Q2 in Bahrain would have been the highpoint of the season for you?
I would say Barcelona race was for me the best race of the season for me. I think qualifying I've had a few good laps in qualifying the last year and a half but Bahrain we got into Q2 because of Michael's misfortune and really relatively speaking that qualifying session wasn't any better than say in Shanghai or Melbourne where I had a good qualifying session. It was really that people saw us in Q2 and while it might have looked better my own performance was similar to what I have done before.
In Barcelona I made a mistake in qualifying but in the race I think it was an excellent race. I had four very good stints and didn't have any issues with the tyres. So I would say that is the best moment so far in the season. It's always fun to be in Q2 but realistically we are not there yet our pace is not good enough to go there regularly so if it is because of some misfortune I don't think that we can take too much grade from it. Really we have to be working on our performance and make sure that we can close the gap.

Looking back at Barcelona when Pastor [Maldonado] and Williams got the win would that give you a lot of heart to see the progress that they have made in a relatively short period of time?
I think that it shows how big of a jump they have done since last year when we basically fighting with them at the end of last year in quite a few races. They have obviously made a huge step forward. I've always thought of Williams as a good team, they still are a relatively big team, and they have actually had moments and races where they looked very quick but for one reason or another something has happened and they have not been able to stay there and finish the business. In a way it didn't really surprise me that much that Williams won a race maybe that it was so soon. I was expecting them to be at the top end.

One of the main strengths, from the outside looking in, at your performances this year would be the consistency that you have during a race. Do you look at this as one of your strengths?
I think over the last year or so I have carried on the same performance. Both qualifying and races have been good and I feel that I have been able to get a level in the races that is required and I think that I am understanding the tyres and when I can push them or back.
I learned a lot about qualifying from Jarno who was a great qualifier. In our first year I think he beat me 11-7 or something in qualifying and I was spending a lot of time looking at what he did in qualifying. How he always saved a good lap and I think that I understand what he was doing, I don't know if he understood what he was doing but I did look very deeply at it!
Last year I was able to out-qualify him I think all but twice and the race performances were also consistent. I feel quite confident in my own performances but it is better not to talk about it too much because the guys who are winning races are the ones who deserve the glory. At the moment what I am doing is making sure that I keep my own performance level at the maximum and then think about the future.

How frustrating is it to drive at the maximum throughout qualifying and the race and still finish in, lets say, 18th position?
It's not frustrating for me. It is what it is. The last thing to do is to get frustrated and let it get into your head and lose focus. The main thing is to keep the focus at 100% and keep pushing at whatever the car performance is and keep working with the team as well as you can. Then hopefully one day when the car is good you can carry on doing the same job and hopefully the results will be better.

You're here three years. Is this the last year of your contract?
Yes

Are you looking to stay on?
I haven't thought about it yet; it's early in the year. I think that at the moment I will wait and see what direction we are heading in and then make my mind up later on.

Are you happy with the progress that has been made?
So far yes. I guess this year we haven't hit our target and no-one is happy about this but in the problematic areas, which is aerodynamics, I think that what we have done lately is positive. We have the right people coming to the team and raising our capacity. It will help that area to improve so I think with a bit more time I will talk racing with them.

In relation to the tyres, they are one of the main talking points at the moment. What is your opinion on the Pirelli's?
I don't have a problem with the tyres. I think that they are challenging and you don't always get a great balance but it's the same for everybody. I'm not going to complain; I drive what I've been given and I've been given these and I now have to make the most of it.

Would the biggest problem with these tyres be that you are carrying 160kg of fuel at the start of the race and there is obviously a lot of strain on them for the stint? At the end of the race everyone's pace is pretty consistent but it is at the start of the race that we see a large drop off in performance.
I think the main thing at the start of the race is that the track is still quite dirty and green and at the end of the race when everyone has used three or four sets of tyres and a lot of rubber has gone down the grip level has improved and we find more and more grip and can go quicker. At the beginning of the race carry 160kg of fuel it is something that it is something that means that first stints can last only a few laps. Even in qualifying though the car is low fuel and we are going for it and sometimes the balance is quite difficult to get.

How do the tyres compare to the Bridgestone's of two year's ago?
They have less grip and less stability, I think the compounds are not as aggressive. It is the tyre we have going forward. It doesn't feel mega different to the Bridgestone. We are going slower but it is still quick it's just a different philosophy. It's still a Formula 1 car so it is still quick!

The weather for this weekend is forecasting showers surely that would give you a better chance to shine, do you have a preference for conditions?
I think obviously if it rains it would be better for us. If it rains it would be a better opportunity for us as it would be a bigger variation to everyone. It's very easy to fall off obviously it would be a better opportunity for us but it can also backfire on us and cause some problems. Honestly though I don't mind, any conditions are fine with me and we just have to make sure that we finish the race and whatever opportunities there are we have to make sure that we take them.

Are there any upgrades coming down the line?
Yeah we will. We had an upgrade at Mugello that we were testing for Barcelona but it wasn't working. We are modifying that upgrade and we will put it on the car next race and then we will put it on the car after that.

OK, that's great. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Heikki.
No problem.
Old 28 May 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3080834)   #85
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No you don't have to feel sorry for him, that's your choice . I remember a time in F1. when racing was just about racing and penalties hardly or ever interfered. Schumi drove a stunning lap to get pole.
Phew. That's a relief. Thank you.

I also remember a time when F1 was largely without penalties, except when JMB decided to throw some disproportionate penalty at some driver or team that he didn't like. It was also the time when teams cheated right, left and centre and drivers and fans felt very aggrieved when they lost out due to the careless/stupid/downright aggressive behaviour of another driver. The current system is far from perfect [/understatement] but it does try to redress the balance when someone transgresses the rules. Most sports accept penalties as an inherent part of the game, and adequately differentiate between accidental infringements, negligent ones and blatant cheating. F1 just needs to handle the penalties and punishments better.
Old 28 May 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3080847)   #86
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Just after getting online for the first time since Friday, been a hectic weekend but thought I'd post this for yous. I had the chance to interview Heikki Kovalaine on Wednesday. I've also got a few photos that I can post if anyone is interested
-----
Stephen English: What are the big differences between racing for Caterham compared to your time with McLaren and Renault?
Heikki Kovalainen: For me the main difference is when I cross the start finish straight straight and I see the lap time on the dash and it is not fast enough. This is really the main difference for me. As a team I think that we have grown and as we are now we work really well. I am really happy with the way we go racing; how we prepare the cars, how we prepare for sessions, how we run the cars and how we do the debriefs and how we handle the problems.
I think, for me, it is as good as any other team but the main difference with the race team come from the factory. Obviously the factory is not as big and as efficient as someone like McLaren so we can't react to a problem as quickly as McLaren can. And then really as a driver the grip is the main difference. I don't have the same grip and the performance in the car as I had in those cars.

There have been some technical changes lately at the team with John Iley hired from McLaren as performance director what benefit will this be to the team?
I think it is a reasonable change and will have a reasonable impact on the team. He is an aerodynamist and aerodynamics are the weak area for us. We don't have grip and enough performance in the car. So he will be directly involved with that and when you see his track record it is very good. He has had stints at Ferrari and McLaren so he is very good at what he does. Everyone is expecting a lot from him and maybe other people will join the team and strengthen that area.

It looks like the top level of the team is filled with very good people. It must be a case of not having the sheer volume of numbers that most of the grid has back at base?
Yeah, we can never have as many people as someone like Red Bull or McLaren or Ferrari because it is not realistic. We are a small team and we need to somehow be more efficient and hiring someone like John is the right kind of step for us.

Thinking in terms of people like Mike Gascoyne or Mark Smith. Both made their names with small teams on small budgets such as Tyrell and Jordan when they were working on a shoestring and getting the most that they could from the budget. Presumably that has to be the main strength of Caterham going forward?
Yeah I would say so. Like I said we can never be as big and powerful as McLaren, or at least not in the near future, so we have to find more efficient ways of working. It is not necessarily big money hirings it is bringing in the right talent and bringing motivation into the team.

It's about spending the right money on the right people.
Yeah exactly.

Presumably making it into Q2 in Bahrain would have been the highpoint of the season for you?
I would say Barcelona race was for me the best race of the season for me. I think qualifying I've had a few good laps in qualifying the last year and a half but Bahrain we got into Q2 because of Michael's misfortune and really relatively speaking that qualifying session wasn't any better than say in Shanghai or Melbourne where I had a good qualifying session. It was really that people saw us in Q2 and while it might have looked better my own performance was similar to what I have done before.
In Barcelona I made a mistake in qualifying but in the race I think it was an excellent race. I had four very good stints and didn't have any issues with the tyres. So I would say that is the best moment so far in the season. It's always fun to be in Q2 but realistically we are not there yet our pace is not good enough to go there regularly so if it is because of some misfortune I don't think that we can take too much grade from it. Really we have to be working on our performance and make sure that we can close the gap.

Looking back at Barcelona when Pastor [Maldonado] and Williams got the win would that give you a lot of heart to see the progress that they have made in a relatively short period of time?
I think that it shows how big of a jump they have done since last year when we basically fighting with them at the end of last year in quite a few races. They have obviously made a huge step forward. I've always thought of Williams as a good team, they still are a relatively big team, and they have actually had moments and races where they looked very quick but for one reason or another something has happened and they have not been able to stay there and finish the business. In a way it didn't really surprise me that much that Williams won a race maybe that it was so soon. I was expecting them to be at the top end.

One of the main strengths, from the outside looking in, at your performances this year would be the consistency that you have during a race. Do you look at this as one of your strengths?
I think over the last year or so I have carried on the same performance. Both qualifying and races have been good and I feel that I have been able to get a level in the races that is required and I think that I am understanding the tyres and when I can push them or back.
I learned a lot about qualifying from Jarno who was a great qualifier. In our first year I think he beat me 11-7 or something in qualifying and I was spending a lot of time looking at what he did in qualifying. How he always saved a good lap and I think that I understand what he was doing, I don't know if he understood what he was doing but I did look very deeply at it!
Last year I was able to out-qualify him I think all but twice and the race performances were also consistent. I feel quite confident in my own performances but it is better not to talk about it too much because the guys who are winning races are the ones who deserve the glory. At the moment what I am doing is making sure that I keep my own performance level at the maximum and then think about the future.

How frustrating is it to drive at the maximum throughout qualifying and the race and still finish in, lets say, 18th position?
It's not frustrating for me. It is what it is. The last thing to do is to get frustrated and let it get into your head and lose focus. The main thing is to keep the focus at 100% and keep pushing at whatever the car performance is and keep working with the team as well as you can. Then hopefully one day when the car is good you can carry on doing the same job and hopefully the results will be better.

You're here three years. Is this the last year of your contract?
Yes

Are you looking to stay on?
I haven't thought about it yet; it's early in the year. I think that at the moment I will wait and see what direction we are heading in and then make my mind up later on.

Are you happy with the progress that has been made?
So far yes. I guess this year we haven't hit our target and no-one is happy about this but in the problematic areas, which is aerodynamics, I think that what we have done lately is positive. We have the right people coming to the team and raising our capacity. It will help that area to improve so I think with a bit more time I will talk racing with them.

In relation to the tyres, they are one of the main talking points at the moment. What is your opinion on the Pirelli's?
I don't have a problem with the tyres. I think that they are challenging and you don't always get a great balance but it's the same for everybody. I'm not going to complain; I drive what I've been given and I've been given these and I now have to make the most of it.

Would the biggest problem with these tyres be that you are carrying 160kg of fuel at the start of the race and there is obviously a lot of strain on them for the stint? At the end of the race everyone's pace is pretty consistent but it is at the start of the race that we see a large drop off in performance.
I think the main thing at the start of the race is that the track is still quite dirty and green and at the end of the race when everyone has used three or four sets of tyres and a lot of rubber has gone down the grip level has improved and we find more and more grip and can go quicker. At the beginning of the race carry 160kg of fuel it is something that it is something that means that first stints can last only a few laps. Even in qualifying though the car is low fuel and we are going for it and sometimes the balance is quite difficult to get.

How do the tyres compare to the Bridgestone's of two year's ago?
They have less grip and less stability, I think the compounds are not as aggressive. It is the tyre we have going forward. It doesn't feel mega different to the Bridgestone. We are going slower but it is still quick it's just a different philosophy. It's still a Formula 1 car so it is still quick!

The weather for this weekend is forecasting showers surely that would give you a better chance to shine, do you have a preference for conditions?
I think obviously if it rains it would be better for us. If it rains it would be a better opportunity for us as it would be a bigger variation to everyone. It's very easy to fall off obviously it would be a better opportunity for us but it can also backfire on us and cause some problems. Honestly though I don't mind, any conditions are fine with me and we just have to make sure that we finish the race and whatever opportunities there are we have to make sure that we take them.

Are there any upgrades coming down the line?
Yeah we will. We had an upgrade at Mugello that we were testing for Barcelona but it wasn't working. We are modifying that upgrade and we will put it on the car next race and then we will put it on the car after that.

OK, that's great. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Heikki.
No problem.
Great interview Frostie , yeah get them pics up !
Old 28 May 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3080852)   #87
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Great interview Frostie , yeah get them pics up !
Cheers Andy, this is something that I did for another forum site, its effectively a lap of Monaco with action shots (I didnt get any from Rascass though)
-----------

Old 28 May 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3080853)   #88
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk

Old 28 May 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3080854)   #89
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk

Old 28 May 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3080856)   #90
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk

Old 28 May 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3080857)   #91
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7288503564_3ea902709d_o.jpg[/IMG
Old 28 May 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3080858)   #92
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic pics Frostie , thanks for sharing
Old 29 May 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3080899)   #93
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sharing the interview & pics, nice job on both. Being in the tunnel must have been a great experience!
Old 29 May 2012, 02:32 (Ref:3080908)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7288503564_3ea902709d_o.jpg[/IMG
Fantastic shots.
Old 29 May 2012, 02:51 (Ref:3080912)   #95
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Thanks for sharing the interview & pics, nice job on both. Being in the tunnel must have been a great experience!
Yeah it was crazy in the tunnel! I was expecting the noise to be ridiculous and the usual sense of speed as the air "whooshes" past you but the noise as the sound bounces off the walls was even more impressive than I was expecting. The thing that shocked me though was that the ground shaked when the cars were going past!

You'd hear the cars entering the tunnel and then as they got nearer the walls would start to vibrate slightly and then you'd get a tingle down your spine until suddenly the ground would start shaking. It was like a mini earth-quake and all you could do was stand there and look like an idiot with a big grin on your face!
Old 29 May 2012, 05:32 (Ref:3080935)   #96
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
would start to vibrate slightly and then you'd get a tingle down your spine until suddenly the ground would start shaking. It was like a mini earth-quake and all you could do was stand there and look like an idiot with a big grin on your face!
Are you describing the thrill of sex or the thrill of motor racing?

Or are they the same?
Old 29 May 2012, 05:46 (Ref:3080940)   #97
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Are you describing the thrill of sex or the thrill of motor racing?

Or are they the same?
Very Nice!
Old 29 May 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3080993)   #98
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Very Nice!
I coulda kept in:

Quote:
entering the tunnel and then as they got nearer the walls
to make it strictly from the female perspective.

It was just too gold for me to pass up.
Old 29 May 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3081071)   #99
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's kind of funny, the junk tyres Pirelli were asked to make to "spice things up" contributed to the drivers not being able to even attempt to attack each other at the end, despite being nose to tail.
Old 29 May 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3081097)   #100
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
It's kind of funny, the junk tyres Pirelli were asked to make to "spice things up" contributed to the drivers not being able to even attempt to attack each other at the end, despite being nose to tail.
That's just not true if you think back to last seasons Monaco GP, where both Button and Alonso were able to hunt down Vettel and make several attempts to pass one another. Ironically, the fitting of new tyres after the safety car/restart, totally killed the battle for the lead.

The tyres used in this seasons Monaco GP were also pretty much the same tyres that were used in last seasons Monaco GP, with the supersoft tyre being identical to last seasons supersoft tyre.