Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Jun 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1333971)   #76
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We need themn now more than ever

After watching today's F1 "race" on TV, I feel that we need the association of glamorous girls with motorsports (especially F1) more than ever.

In fact, I think it would be a good idea to randomly select some of the ladies from the links below and use them to replace all the butt-headed male managers of FOM and the FIA. I'm sure that they could do at least as good a job as the current management of the sport.

Montreal F1 Babes of 2005

Montreal F1 Fashion and Lingerie Babes of 2005
Old 20 Jun 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1334143)   #77
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look I do not have a problem with grid girls...if they are there they are there, if they aren't they aren't...i'm easy either way.

I just do not think that they are essential to motorsport, whereas some people on here seem to think that the whole sport will colapse without them.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1334544)   #78
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grid girls aren't essential, but sometimes they can benefit the sport.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1334647)   #79
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Grid girls aren't essential, but sometimes they can benefit the sport.
How?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1334661)   #80
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The media photographers love them and as most of the girls have some kind of sponsors name on their clothing, then the sponsor is happy with the publicity.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1334670)   #81
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
The media photographers love them and as most of the girls have some kind of sponsors name on their clothing, then the sponsor is happy with the publicity.
So why don't we see them at the "clubbie" meetings as well, then? Surely if the reasoning behind grid girls is to create some kind of revenue or interest in motorsport in general, they would be better employed at a decent race meeting with full grids? And, it would solve the problem of not enough startline marshals to grid the cars up!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1334681)   #82
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark said what I would have replied to you Sheila....

Now, without wishing to get into a clubbie v BF3 etc debate, personally I see club racing as very different to say BTCC / F3. Yes, we need club racing but it's the BTCC / F3 racing etc which gets more media coverage and therefore more advertisments hence why grid girls etc are seen there.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1334730)   #83
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Mark said what I would have replied to you Sheila....

Now, without wishing to get into a clubbie v BF3 etc debate, personally I see club racing as very different to say BTCC / F3. Yes, we need club racing but it's the BTCC / F3 racing etc which gets more media coverage and therefore more advertisments hence why grid girls etc are seen there.
I still think it's sex discrimination though I mean, the girls may be nice for the blokes to leer at but what about us women? All we've got to ogle are the drivers!

And being serious for a moment - having glamorous girls might suggest that motorsport is glamorous too. It might have been once when motorsport was the domain of extremely rich gentlemen. Motorsport isn't glamorous - ask any mechanic who's been up for 48 hours replacing the engine/bodywork/whatever on a race car.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1334745)   #84
Suze
Veteran

England
There's more drivers to ogle than there are grid girls!

Grid girls don't always make motorsport "glamorous" - they're not to everyone's taste, and some may be described in derogatory terms anyway. I don't think they take away from motorsport the hard work and hours that mechanics etc put in and in this country, motorsport isn't glamorous imo. For me, it's more "glamorous" when I go ten minutes down the road to Beaufort Polo Club than it is when I go to Thruxton etc!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1334759)   #85
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
There's more drivers to ogle than there are grid girls!
Yeah, but they're usually covered up in several layers of Nomex!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1334764)   #86
Suze
Veteran

England
Depends on the driver and level of thickness of Nomex, and how tight the velcro round the waist thingy is....! Or if they're in their own clothes too.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1334776)   #87
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Depends on the driver and level of thickness of Nomex, and how tight the velcro round the waist thingy is....! Or if they're in their own clothes too.
I must be getting old! I hadn't considered any of those factors

Either that or I see far too many drivers in the pit lane anyway and I'm just getting blase about it all
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1334777)   #88
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steady on girls...I know it's hot outside!!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1334778)   #89
Suze
Veteran

England
Sorry Grandslammer!

Re my previous post.....it wasn't supposed to sound dirty, more a casual observation which came across slightly not as clear!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1334784)   #90
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sorry Grandslammer!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1334801)   #91
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Sorry Grandslammer!
No need to apologise girls Carry on if you like
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1334828)   #92
Suze
Veteran

England
You were the one encouraging "steady on!"
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1334882)   #93
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
You were the one encouraging "steady on!"
Fair enough...Apologies accepted.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1335067)   #94
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
No need to apologise girls Carry on if you like
Obviously Grandslammer doesn't know me. Someone of my advanced years being referred to as a "girl"? Ooooooh, thank you Grandslammer!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1335070)   #95
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be that Gaelic charm!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1335075)   #96
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
So why don't we see them at the "clubbie" meetings as well, then?
The lack of sponsorship lower down the racing order.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1335086)   #97
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well at club meetings the competitors, their helpers and marshalls etc. do it for nothing so why can't the grid girls :-).
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1335100)   #98
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Well at club meetings the competitors, their helpers and marshalls etc. do it for nothing so why can't the grid girls :-).

Good question!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1335143)   #99
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if we get you a sign with a broom on the other end Sheila would you do it? You are a girl now afterall
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1335820)   #100
Suze
Veteran

England
F3 grid girls do it for nothing. You have the embassy girls who do get paid but tend to stand up middle of grid give out goody bags etc, but I don't get paid whoever I do it for nor do many others.