Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1535288)   #76
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard a rumour yesterday that Renault are planning a new chassis for F Renault next year & that the current 16V chassis will therefore become the mainstay of the BARC FR series. What happens to the current 8V cars then, will there still be a class for them? Just interested, although I accept that it is way too early to be thinking about next year!

Last edited by andy97; 3 Mar 2006 at 10:20. Reason: spelling!
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1535293)   #77
widerviewphoto
Rookie

United Kingdom
Easthampstead, Berkshire
widerviewphoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob - The free test at Snetterton is on what date ? and is it only for FR BARC or FR UK as well ?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1535305)   #78
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only rumour I have heard re future of 16 valve cars is that Renault are planning to replace the engine at some time. This came from a reliable source last season. I will float what you have heard round the higher echelons and see what comes back. The only thing that would threaten the existence of the 8 valves is if the twin cam cars started to fill the grid in BARC. At this moment in time they are even and possibly slightly ahead of the 16 valves in numbers. Currently the 16 valve cars are dreadfully expensive for a club level car, and with the draconian rules which they are expected to adhere to, very complicated for a genuine club racer to use. Both those things would have to change before the 8 valve cars positions were threatened.
A well driven 8 valve car can still beat all but the best drivers in 16 valve cars for a fraction of the price and hassle, so the 16 valve arena still remains the domain of the rich and ambitious. So, in short, I don't think anyone who owns an 8 valve car should feel in any way threatened.
The free test at Snett is an open test day at which Renault have booked a number of free places for drivers registered with BARC Renault.
Does anyone know what the other driver with Hillspeed is planning to do?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1535306)   #79
Bob Pearson
Veteran

PS the free test is on the 28th March.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1535341)   #80
jlittlejohn
Rookie

jlittlejohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure on what the other Hillspeed drivers plans are yet Bob, he still wants to do BARC though. I wont be able to attend the free day on the 28th unfortunately il be spending the day at school.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1549739)   #81
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who will be there on the 28th? We have booked our garage, seems the test is free but not the garage, unlike last year. At least we will have a bit more space! Hope the weather's better than last year, I remember snow!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1550086)   #82
Bob Pearson
Veteran

I gather there is only 10 drivers taken it up at the beginning of this week. Quite frankly, it's so blasted cold that it's difficult to work up any enthusiasm at all. We didn't bother with either of the early Snett tests last year, but, at the moment, we intend going on the 28th, we certainly wouldn't bother if it wasn't free.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1550568)   #83
REALIST
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
I gather there is only 10 drivers taken it up at the beginning of this week. Quite frankly, it's so blasted cold that it's difficult to work up any enthusiasm at all. We didn't bother with either of the early Snett tests last year, but, at the moment, we intend going on the 28th, we certainly wouldn't bother if it wasn't free.

You're not getting too old for it are you Bob?!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1551154)   #84
Bob Pearson
Veteran

If the idea of working on cars dropping nuts and washers from freezing fingers and driving with feet like ice blocks no longer appeals to me means that I am too old, then I am too old.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1553438)   #85
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some advice from those of you with F Renaults please. I have a Martini Mark 71 with the standard FR electronic dash. The starter switch seems not to work. Nothing wrong with the solenoid or starter motor-it turns the engine just fine. I even get 12V at the end of the wire when not conected(to the solenoid) and the switch is pressed but I think that I only get 12V when there is no resistance. The connections and earths are fine. I am pretty sure it is the switch. Can it be replaced or repaired or do I need a complete new dash? if that is the case it would be easier and cheaper to rig up a separate switch.Any advice accepted with gratitude. Thanks.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1553619)   #86
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng
Some advice from those of you with F Renaults please. I have a Martini Mark 71 with the standard FR electronic dash. The starter switch seems not to work. Nothing wrong with the solenoid or starter motor-it turns the engine just fine. I even get 12V at the end of the wire when not conected(to the solenoid) and the switch is pressed but I think that I only get 12V when there is no resistance. The connections and earths are fine. I am pretty sure it is the switch. Can it be replaced or repaired or do I need a complete new dash? if that is the case it would be easier and cheaper to rig up a separate switch.Any advice accepted with gratitude. Thanks.
I'm a bit confused with your discription, Did you get the starter to work with an outside power source? You say have 12v from the wiring, is that the big & the small wire? The only time i've had this problem was when the master switch packed up, the dash will work fine but no ECU or starter.
Dash boards can be fixed, a good electronics person should sort it ok, i've had a couple fixed by a bloke at work
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1553914)   #87
Bob Pearson
Veteran

I've seen the long range weather forecast for next Tuesday. May well stay in my nice warm office.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1554158)   #88
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
Thanks Ian. The starter motor turned over when I shorted from the little wire to the big one on the solenoid. I get a full 12V at the end of the ignition wire when I press the start button unconnected but when it is connected to the solenoid it doesn't give 12V. MAster switch and ECU are fine. Strange problem. I'm normally pretty good on electrics but I'm beaten on this one.Steve
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1554173)   #89
Bob Pearson
Veteran

It still sounds as Ian suggested, i.e the high resistence is in the master switch. I remember this happening and it took us a long time to find it.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1554453)   #90
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
Do you mean the big red switch on the side of the car? That master switch. If so I'll take it down and clean it and see if that sorts the problem.
Thanks.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1554619)   #91
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just connect both wires to the same terminal Steven, that should tell you whether it's OK.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1554637)   #92
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Just connect both wires to the same terminal Steven, that should tell you whether it's OK.
on the six terminal master switches (FIA Type) its normaly one of the little conections that fails

steven, does the pump prime when you switch the car on at the dashboard?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1554640)   #93
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Yes, it is the big red switch, as you so nicely describe it. You would be better off to by pass it for a test. If I remember rightly the feed to the dash leaves the switch as one wire which is operated through a different pole to the rest of the electrics, hence the possibility to have a poor resistence on the dash feed only. I recall that we were fooled for some time by the fact that the dash lit OK, before someone pointed out that LED's need very little power and so were not being affected by the high resistence in the switch.
Hope it works, are you coming out with us this year? It looks like being a bumper year and well worth joining in.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1555023)   #94
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
Thanks for all the advice. I'll play with the master switch first. It is in a quite exposed site so could easily be corroded.
Thank you asking about joining you. I have only completed two races in the car. These being the 750 F4 rounds last week at a freezing Mallory. I am now feeling more confident in the car and I'm driving it at about 70% of its potential but still too slow to play with you boys. Hitting the wall so very hard at Bridge (Silverstone) last year seems to have added three seconds a lap to my times! My head is not quite in gear yet. I need some more seat time before I feel like leaning on the car. I'm doing quite a lot of saloon racing this year and when I feel that I'm up to even half respectable speed I'll come and join in. You look to have a nice friendly series.
Many thanks.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1555213)   #95
REALIST
Racer

Quote:
I've seen the long range weather forecast for next Tuesday. May well stay in my nice warm office.
What, the one that says 'scattered showers'? Well, being realistic, as is my nature, I tend not to believe these forecasts!

Especially when the same one, after being 'scattered showers' on saturday, was 'partly cloudy' yesterday and is now back to 'scattered showers'!

4 days before we went to Silverstone the other week, the forecast was for 'light rain'; 3 days before, 'snow showers'. We cancelled. One day before, 'sunny intervals'. We rebooked.

At 7.00 am on the day, it was snowing heavily at the circuit, even though, and I checked at 4.00am before we left home, the forecast was that any snow should have been long gone. At 8.00am, even though the snow had stopped falling, the track and paddock were covered. We gave it up and went for breakfast.

When we got back to the circuit after breakfast to get the truck, the snow had melted so we stayed and got maybe 70 laps in, albeit the first couple of sessions in the wet.

Point is, the forecasters are unlikely to be accurate 10 MINUTES out. let alone 10 days!!!
Old 21 Mar 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1555536)   #96
Bob Pearson
Veteran

You're clutching at straws Peter, mark my words, I have checked my sea weed and noted the stance of the cows and which way they are pointing and the news isn't good!!
Don't be too overawed by us Steve, sure there are some good drivers in the formula as I am sure there are in F4, but there are also a lot of genuine club racers with cars on trailers who do it for pure fun.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1556167)   #97
REALIST
Racer

Quote:
You're clutching at straws Peter, mark my words, I have checked my sea weed and noted the stance of the cows and which way they are pointing and the news isn't good!!
Don't be too overawed by us Steve, sure there are some good drivers in the formula as I am sure there are in F4, but there are also a lot of genuine club racers with cars on trailers who do it for pure fun.

OK, Bob, now I'm concerned! When I think about it, it is more Dave who wants to go out at this time of year than me but, as it's 'free'....

I note that this morning the forecast was back to 'partly cloudy'; this afternoon 'showers' again..!
Old 22 Mar 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1557354)   #98
Bob Pearson
Veteran

I'm sure we will all be there as usual, the draw of the free day out will be too much. I gather the registrations are at 28, I will ring Pauline later and get an update and add it to any who I know still intend registering and see where it puts us. The last thing we want is for someone to not get a race if we were over subscibed especially if it was me! It's bad for the formula and works against all principals of attracting drivers to the formula. I will speak to Simon to see if he has any contingency plans for such an occurance, maybe a short qualification race for those with the least championship points or similar. Admittedly someone will still go home without a championship race, but he or she will still, at least have had a race, and some people will have had two for the same money.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1557511)   #99
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Confirmed registrations are at 26, I know of 3 other definates plus another 3 possibles, so it seems like it will top out at around 30, so an oversubscibed grid is definately unlikely.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1563568)   #100
jlittlejohn
Rookie

jlittlejohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on the Snett test from today?