SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
I'll have to do something about that
Ive done something about that. The biggest change is the new section before the last corner, designed to slow the cars/bikes down going into the last corner and it also provides an overtaking opportunity. Its increased the lap length to 3.4mi/2.4mi/2.1mi. Ive also straightened out the S/F kink and added more run off to T2. And just for clarity, the run off at T19 and T24 go under the grandstands
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png  
Old 12 Jan 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2814826)   #77
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, the gravel traps go under the stand! Now I see.

But, if the same applies for the last corner than no modifications were IMHO necessary in the first place.

bio
Old 14 Jan 2011, 04:20 (Ref:2815526)   #78
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Ah, the gravel traps go under the stand! Now I see.

But, if the same applies for the last corner than no modifications were IMHO necessary in the first place.

bio

that's a novel idea
Old 14 Jan 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2815527)   #79
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
Ive done something about that. The biggest change is the new section before the last corner, designed to slow the cars/bikes down going into the last corner and it also provides an overtaking opportunity. Its increased the lap length to 3.4mi/2.4mi/2.1mi. Ive also straightened out the S/F kink and added more run off to T2. And just for clarity, the run off at T19 and T24 go under the grandstands
way better now
Old 14 Jan 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2815610)   #80
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Luiggi, didn't you complain about the final corner because you thought it had no runoff?

bio
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2815989)   #81
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
that's a novel idea
No, it is not. As a bike enthousiast, you must know this famous corner.

Old 15 Jan 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2816125)   #82
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Is that the run into the final chicane at Assen?
Old 15 Jan 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2816187)   #83
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it is. Dozens of Grand Prix' were decided in that very corner.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2816192)   #84
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is assen but if you use street view on google earth/maps you'll see that the overhang above the gravel is at most 2 or 3 metres, and only for a very short distance of perhaps 15 metres.

The corner at the end of the long straight on the Yas Marina circuit has tarmac run off that does extend well under and I think actually beyond the grandstands. That would be a better example of what Speeding Tortoise would need to have built.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 04:38 (Ref:2816269)   #85
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Luiggi, didn't you complain about the final corner because you thought it had no runoff?

bio
Yes definitively I see a lot of speed in that kink, any out of control vehicle will be flying towards the stands, as I understood in the first original version, now I saw still little run off but then the detail about the under level run off might help if it really is big enough, if it's not it'll only serve to block the view of the accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
No, it is not. As a bike enthousiast, you must know this famous corner.

Yes yes but like was said, is it big enough for the conditions? I see the chicane version solved the problem right away and added an interesting twist there at the end, that was a good comeback!!! :lol:

Luiggi
Old 16 Jan 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2816511)   #86
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Yes definitively I see a lot of speed in that kink, any out of control vehicle will be flying towards the stands, as I understood in the first original version, now I saw still little run off but then the detail about the under level run off might help if it really is big enough, if it's not it'll only serve to block the view of the accidents

Luiggi
OK, I just think the under-stand runoff was there all the time, we just didn't realize it was there

bio
Old 17 Jan 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2816909)   #87
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ST, this recent design of yours is a track that's tailor made for the F-Duct with its two long straights and an overabundance of tasty technical sections on the rest of the lap. I guess this is a place where only the best car/driver combination can succeed.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2817114)   #88
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Yes Yannick but the F-Duct isnt allowed for 2011 and with the adjustable rear wing and KERS returning, this track would make for some interesting racing
Old 18 Jan 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2817543)   #89
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
3rd for january

Heres my latest Full Circuit-3.8mi North Circuit-1.9mi South Circuit-1.7mi all clockwise no elevation
Attached Thumbnails
jan3 1.png   jan3 2.png   jan3 3.png  

jan3 4.png  
Old 19 Jan 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2817599)   #90
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, dunno... i feel just a bit too much is going on here. I'd get rid of some of the slower parts here, like that very slow chicane bottom left or the Z-turn top right.

I'd also make the bottom section a straight with one slow corner at the end instead of the chicane to make it an overtaking spot. This track in its present form seems to have only one genuine overtaking spot, at the end of the S/F straight. another one would be a good idea, without it, i feel, races on this one would be a little like Hungaroring: plenty of opportunities to blow the race and only one true overtaking spot.

The top half is a true gem on its own!

bio

PS: Why is that gravel trap at T1 so huge?
Old 19 Jan 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2817666)   #91
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I also think about the Hungororing when I see this track; a great challenge to get a fast laptime, but lacking overtakingspots and fast corners. I'd start whith changing the last 3 corners into a parabolica-like corner.
The easiest way to create an extra overtaking-opprtunity is to reprofile the corner at the end of the southern straight into a run-of-the-mill slow Z, but I'm actually quite fond of that quirky wrong-way-round-looking combination that you have created. It must be very difficult to get right, with the increasing radius under braking for the first part, and than still having to brake for the right-hand part of the chicane while bouncing over the kerbs of the first part. Overtaking will be difficult though, because the racingline goes from one side of the track to the other under braking. You will really have to be side to side with your opponent before the brakingpoint to have a chance, but you might also get an accident quite easlily. Maybe it is different for bikes, but some elbows will be used I guess. Difficult decision...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2817719)   #92
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I quite like it. I mean, not every track needs to have designated 'overtaking spots', I guess.

With this track, and many of the creations around here for that matter, i'd love to see some sort of hovering lap, or better still, on-board.

But that's just me being incredibly snobby

Selby
Old 19 Jan 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2817740)   #93
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I quite like it. I mean, not every track needs to have designated 'overtaking spots', I guess.

With this track, and many of the creations around here for that matter, i'd love to see some sort of hovering lap, or better still, on-board.

But that's just me being incredibly snobby

Selby
Hi,
the thing is that the overwhelming majority of overtaking takes place at those "designated" spots - the fewer a track has of them, the fewer overtaking that's probably gonna take place. Now, the question is - how good a race can be with few overtakes. A good question... There have been quite good races at the Hungaroring despite it having only one real overtaking spot... But I don't see how creating another one could hurt the case...

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2817742)   #94
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
I'm actually quite fond of that quirky wrong-way-round-looking combination that you have created.
The only huge problem with it - besidesbeing a missed overtaking spot - is that cars swerving off there can easily slide back on the track and that's quite dangerous a prospect...

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2817767)   #95
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hi,
the thing is that the overwhelming majority of overtaking takes place at those "designated" spots - the fewer a track has of them, the fewer overtaking that's probably gonna take place. Now, the question is - how good a race can be with few overtakes. A good question... There have been quite good races at the Hungaroring despite it having only one real overtaking spot... But I don't see how creating another one could hurt the case...

bio
It goes back to the whole 'is it the cars or the tracks' debate loosely doesn't it?

This kind of reminds me of Imola. You can have good races there, but stats showed us that I think the majority of the races didn't include a huge amount of overtaking (post-1994 that is).

But then it's possibly a balance of creating one/two spots for an overtake, and having the rest just simply quite a challenge.

Selby
Old 19 Jan 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2817773)   #96
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I guess there can be several reasons for lack of overtaking in a circuit. There can be few long sections where ample speed can be obtained (Hungaroring) or the track might be pretty fast - but at the end of the fast sections are arranged so that overtaking is hard at best (Imola) - the outcome will be hugely different: the source of excitement at the Hungaroring-type tracks will be that due to relatively low speeds the cars will probably stick together - even at the front - and this always promises exciting races; at the Imola-type races however, the sheer speed is that keeps races thrilling.

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2818005)   #97
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I guess there can be several reasons for lack of overtaking in a circuit. There can be few long sections where ample speed can be obtained (Hungaroring) or the track might be pretty fast - but at the end of the fast sections are arranged so that overtaking is hard at best (Imola) - the outcome will be hugely different: the source of excitement at the Hungaroring-type tracks will be that due to relatively low speeds the cars will probably stick together - even at the front - and this always promises exciting races; at the Imola-type races however, the sheer speed is that keeps races thrilling.

bio
The question of cars or tracks is firmly in favour of the cars being responsible in my view. I have gone back to the 80's and looked at the best passes even at places like Hungaroring and noted passes by mansell on senna and other famous (or infamous) passes there and at other places and I have decided its the cars.... not the circuits.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2819291)   #98
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
january 3 update

I wasnt sure if i was going to do an update for this track. i liked the fact that the overtaking would be more special and harder to pull off with this kind of track. But anyways i done an update to help overtaking by changing T2, completely changing the section between T4 and T8 and tightening T13. Comment and stuff as usual
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 2.png  
Old 25 Jan 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2820470)   #99
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
last track for january

This is going to be my last track of the month and its completely different from the tracks ive put out earlier in the month. 3.1mi Full Clockwise no elevation
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 3.png   Picture 4.png   Picture 5.png  

Old 25 Jan 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2820477)   #100
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like it. I'm thinking that Melbourne and Assen are somewhat responsible for this one.

There are just a few things I noticed that may or may not warrant a second look. If Turn 3 is flat-out, overtaking into Turn 4 shouldn't be a problem, but if Turn 3 is not, that will make things decidedly trickier. The right/left flick before the long back stretch has me wondering if someone might go flying straight through the run-off and onto the other piece of track coming out of the turns. Finally, I think that the bend at the end of the back stretch may be a bit too close to the left-hand 180 that follows it, which could make overtaking there rather more difficult.

On the whole though, this one is very good.