Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2761493)   #76
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Can I also add that the sooner you get class breaks up on line preferably before you have entries the better choice is open to people who do not prehaps want to go head to head with these two models of car. For example the M3 is 2.3 litre so if a class is set at max 2000cc that gives guys a lot of scope to find something around the the 2 litre mark and remain competitive in your class, same goes for the Cossie.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2761495)   #77
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Thank you! Just watched it twice (I was at the Brands Hatch round) and that was beautiful......when the BTCC and the driving standards were really worth watching.
If we ended up with a race like that, I'd think that I'd died and gone to heaven.
I'm just sitting here watching today's touring car offering and it's sad to see how the standards in this and certain club racing have deteriorated over the years.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2761500)   #78
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad indeed Tim,whats that saying with Horse and Bolted in it?
Btcc drivers were encouraged to drive like ***** for the "spectacle" now the MSA are scratching thier heads as to how to stop the deliberate nurfing/corner cutting and so on. Shame no one ever thought that how impressionable people are these day's that they might just think driving standards seen on TV were the 'norm'.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2761511)   #79
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Can I also add that the sooner you get class breaks up on line preferably before you have entries the better choice is open to people who do not prehaps want to go head to head with these two models of car. For example the M3 is 2.3 litre so if a class is set at max 2000cc that gives guys a lot of scope to find something around the the 2 litre mark and remain competitive in your class, same goes for the Cossie.
Al, just to confirm, the class breaks will not be available until the close of entry. If you read the terms and conditions we state that we want the race to be as tailor made to the field as possible, therefore, until all the entries are in, we will not disclose the class structure. It adds to the excitement and as well as that, dependant on what actually enters, will make the race bespoke to the field....its a bit like poker really .... We think this is a better way of doing it and it will certainly mean that its NOT A GIVEN that an M3 or Cossie will win it....but you will have to wait and see about the structure first
Old 19 Sep 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2761540)   #80
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
...and anyway racing shouldn't be about pot-hunting; if I came second to a Cossie I'd be well-chuffed
Old 19 Sep 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2761549)   #81
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Al, just to confirm, the class breaks will not be available until the close of entry. If you read the terms and conditions we state that we want the race to be as tailor made to the field as possible, therefore, until all the entries are in, we will not disclose the class structure. It adds to the excitement and as well as that, dependant on what actually enters, will make the race bespoke to the field....its a bit like poker really .... We think this is a better way of doing it and it will certainly mean that its NOT A GIVEN that an M3 or Cossie will win it....but you will have to wait and see about the structure first
An interesting idea. I suspect it would appeal to just the type of entries and entrants that would give the event that special feeling you are seeking.

It occurs to me that one might lay a number of different competitive angles over the core event to give people something to aim at as a secondary 'event' if their main race falls apart early. Maybe give the team managers some strategic planning as well.

No idea what of course but some sort of sub-competition based on a handicap system perhaps? And something like an Index of Performance calculation. There may need to be a minimum number of entries to make this meaningful. Not sure what that number wold be.

For those who followed the 2CV 24hr race I was thinking of the spirit of the likes of the Basingstoke College team who spent a lot of time early in the race sitting in the pits resolving some huge problems but after several hours of sporadic visits to the track got the thing working and carried on to the very end menaing, as I recall, that the race had no retirements at all.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2761619)   #82
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
...and anyway racing shouldn't be about pot-hunting; if I came second to a Cossie I'd be well-chuffed
I am never going to win I know that but as Grant says in the next post its something to aim for!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2761753)   #83
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That could be a technicality that we've missed . Maybe, we should just say 'on sale to the public'
We always have the right to refuse entry ....... and then, if Mike Bell comes up with something he's found in Eastern Europe, made in a shed in Bolivia, with a 16cyl 10 litre engine, we'll think about it!
No good throwing all that bait in the water John when the fish are not there!

However, can tell you that had a good look at the very quick Tatra at GW over w/end- am sure the 4 twin choke downdraft Webers wouldn't be too thirsty and lots of room for fuel tank!

Am more likely to be entering the car originally entered for this year that is already in workshop- should the rules still permit it. Will leave all the 'left field' entries to others!

Oh, and Tour Britannia gave lots of practice for pit lane getaways!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Sep 2010 at 05:26. Reason: typo again
Old 20 Sep 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2761843)   #84
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, here's a good one. If I wanted to run a car that was only sold in the uk in LHD, would I have to stick to LHD? or could I run one that has been converted?

Thanks.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2761845)   #85
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Right, here's a good one. If I wanted to run a car that was only sold in the uk in LHD, would I have to stick to LHD? or could I run one that has been converted?

Thanks.
mmmmmmmm...lol.. You dont have to worry about it being left or right hand drive.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2765793)   #86
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've decided that this year MGDavid was a bit of a spendthrift, so "Project 160 for the 360" has been born! My 924 cost -£40! Yes, minus £40 - I've sold bits from it to the value of £40 more than I paid for it, and still going strong Hopefully will be able to finance the first part of the build from the proceeds.

I'm keeping a blog about it on midgetmax.com. Fell free to take a look.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2765894)   #87
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
My 924 cost -£40! Yes, minus £40 - I've sold bits from it to the value of £40 more than I paid for it, and still going strong Hopefully will be able to finance the first part of the build from the proceeds.
I think that now qualifies you as a professional entrant - just in it for the money!
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:18 (Ref:2765922)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think that now qualifies you as a professional entrant - just in it for the money!
Didn't I see in regs that pro teams pay double entry fees?
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2765926)   #89
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Didn't I see in regs that pro teams pay double entry fees?
I think it's the same additional amount as the fine for speeding in the pit lane!

Sorry Mike - I couldn't resist that and I will forget about it.........eventually
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2765935)   #90
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Sorry Mike - I couldn't resist that and I will forget about it.........eventually

See I never mentioned it once at Spa did I Mike?...well...I might have ....but only once.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2765937)   #91
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think it's the same additional amount as the fine for speeding in the pit lane!

Forget not- it will probably be my only ever claim to fame, or infame

Anyway, who said anything about speeding- I lifted off at 55 kph

Claire, I only saw you once
Old 29 Sep 2010, 06:03 (Ref:2766442)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a little off topic,thought I'd let you all know that Red Bull can make you move very quickly but doesn't really give you wings.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2767014)   #93
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Forget not- it will probably be my only ever claim to fame, or infame
Mike, I think the word you are looking for is 'infamy' and under the circumstances you might be inclined to say 'infamy, infamy ... they've all got it infamy!' (nods to a very old 'Carry On' joke!)
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2767017)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Mike, I think the word you are looking for is 'infamy' and under the circumstances you might be inclined to say 'infamy, infamy ... they've all got it infamy!' (nods to a very old 'Carry On' joke!)

Kenneth Williams, wasn't it?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2767026)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Carry on Ceasar
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2767033)   #96
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, I've just had another (ridiculous?) thought. Are there 6 racers out there who are hoping to do this event who have any cars raceworthy cars now. What about a 360MRC team for the Holly Birkett, if it's not too late for an entry, which it probably is since it is always well subscribed. Oh well, just an idea, because it would have given it a bit of publicity amongst clubs with members who could well have suitable cars!

Last edited by John Turner; 1 Oct 2010 at 13:46. Reason: Spellink mistaks!
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:44 (Ref:2767640)   #97
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cracking Idea.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2768744)   #98
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hey, I've just had another (ridiculous?) thought. Are there 6 racers out there who are hoping to do this event who have any cars raceworthy cars now. What about a 360MRC team for the Holly Birkett, if it's not too late for an entry, which it probably is since it is always well subscribed. Oh well, just an idea, because it would have given it a bit of publicity amongst clubs with members who could well have suitable cars!
I'm doing the Birkett in my XJS as part of a team of 6 XJS's, so is there anything I could do to publicise the 360?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2768955)   #99
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Good offer Cliff. Any stickers for Cliff, Claire?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2768961)   #100
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Good offer Cliff. Any stickers for Cliff, Claire?

Yes no problem
Closed Thread