Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Apr 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2678555)   #76
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The future of grand-am looks good JC France has be reinstated as a driver. it turns out that there was some "jurisdictional technicality" so the charges against him for cocaine possession were dropped
Yep. The Daytoner Mafia hands are all over this one.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2678668)   #77
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn356 View Post
I was gonna go to Barber but I read an earlier post on this thread that it is always sold out.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2678699)   #78
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Yep. The Daytoner Mafia hands are all over this one.
Seems just like when Brian france spilled his soda in the car... Yeah right...
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2678763)   #79
Matador
Veteran

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If the GT class gets filled of silhouettes, the Grand-Am should consider adopting a more radical bodykit (see DTM, Japanese Super GT).

DTM is Joining technical regs with Super GT. Wasn't it reported that Grand Am wanted to tag along?
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:50 (Ref:2678769)   #80
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn356 View Post
I was gonna go to Barber but I read an earlier post on this thread that it is always sold out.

To be serious, if you like motorcycle racing at all, you should make a trip there, it is a fantastic motorcycle track, the museum, which has great historic motorcycles and autos (lots of Loti) is great, and worth the trip on its own.

It is a natural terrain road course and should be supported.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2678770)   #81
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The future of grand-am looks good JC France has be reinstated as a driver. it turns out that there was some "jurisdictional technicality" so the charges against him for cocaine possession were dropped
I may have to wear glasses these days, but that was visible from another galaxy. I guess there wouldn't be concern about sponsor response, he is self-supporting.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2678799)   #82
LTSmash
Rookie

United States
Park City
LTSmash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
DTM is Joining technical regs with Super GT. Wasn't it reported that Grand Am wanted to tag along?
You know this would seem like a somewhat logical solutions to fix that which is a confused Grand-Am GT class. I can't stand to watch the GT portion of Grand-Am because the cars are just not on a similar playing field.

What would it do to costs though?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2703162)   #83
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know if there's any UK coverage this year, Daytona 24H aside?

There used to be highlights on C5 but I haven't noticed them this year.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2706005)   #84
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one seems to be showing the highlights but there are usually streams around to watch the races live. Speedtv's website coverage worked well for the middle portion of the Glen6hr race last Saturday.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2706039)   #85
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocmonster7 View Post
No one seems to be showing the highlights but there are usually streams around to watch the races live. Speedtv's website coverage worked well for the middle portion of the Glen6hr race last Saturday.
Yes it did indeed. And there was pretty good streaming of the first 2h too. Unfortunately, it didn`t work for me for the last 2h. Well, I gave up searching after about 30min after speed.com was finished
Old 10 Jun 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2708182)   #86
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys
Old 3 Aug 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2738607)   #87
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The future is wild
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2738858)   #88
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'd say "bright." ALMS has dithered too long. Some are now speculating they can "turn on a dime" in response to well-advanced FIA/Grand Am moves. I do not believe they can.

The two Challenge classes were weak and late responses to market and racing industry changes. They were also "dead wrong." Indications are that ALMS has persisted in resisting Audi's R8 to this very day, clearly still entirely oblivious to the world around them. The seeds of this were already in place at their 2008 zenith, the last point at which they could have properly and effectively responded. This is a nadir from which they will not recover.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2738859)   #89
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'd say "bright."
Yeah, but that would have ruined my play on words.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2738877)   #90
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, but that would have ruined my play on words.
I'm impressed, but as much as I like such things myself, I miss it right under my nose (it doesn't help in this case that I'm a colonist). Perhaps if you capitalized the phrase I'd have recognized it as a title? We old guys need such help as our cognitive powers slip.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 03:55 (Ref:2739167)   #91
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
I'd say "bright." ALMS has dithered too long. Some are now speculating they can "turn on a dime" in response to well-advanced FIA/Grand Am moves. I do not believe they can.

The two Challenge classes were weak and late responses to market and racing industry changes. They were also "dead wrong." Indications are that ALMS has persisted in resisting Audi's R8 to this very day, clearly still entirely oblivious to the world around them. The seeds of this were already in place at their 2008 zenith, the last point at which they could have properly and effectively responded. This is a nadir from which they will not recover.
I'm a little confused about the Audi/Porsche conflict in the GTC class of ALMS. Since Audi and Porsche are effectively under the same roof now, why the resistance to bringing in the R8. Doesn't it just promote VAG two fold?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2739179)   #92
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I'm a little confused about the Audi/Porsche conflict in the GTC class of ALMS. Since Audi and Porsche are effectively under the same roof now, why the resistance to bringing in the R8. Doesn't it just promote VAG two fold?
I share your confusion, but it is what I hear. I'm not judging, just passing on.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 05:11 (Ref:2739188)   #93
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I share your confusion, but it is what I hear. I'm not judging, just passing on.

L.P.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 05:18 (Ref:2739189)   #94
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
So, HORNDAWG, can you explain why adding the R8 to GTC isn't a "slam dunk?" I'm hoping your laughter means you have it figured out. Please enlighten us if you do.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 05:21 (Ref:2739191)   #95
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So, HORNDAWG, can you explain why adding the R8 to GTC isn't a "slam dunk?" I'm hoping your laughter means you have it figured out. Please enlighten us if you do.
Oh, I was not clear enough, my bad. I found great humor in the second sentence!

L.P.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2739207)   #96
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the ALMS is protecting the teams who have put up the initial investment to get the GTC class off the ground. I can't imagine those teams are psyched about an Audi coming in and probably handing them their ass right away.

You'll know when the car is approved because I'm sure there will be plenty of testing to performance balance the car before it ever hits the track.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2739261)   #97
Speed-King
Veteran

Looks like Grand Am will indeed get a DTM-class:

Here:
- DTM-cars to be allowed to run in Grand Am races
- mid term goal is the creation of a DTM-only sprint series
- the goal is that teams from NASCAR and Grand Am run the cars in the sprint series

Very elegant, all of that, actually:
- Grand Am gives the DTM-manufacturers a platform in the US
- the DTM-manufacturers support Grand Am with GT3-cars and probably DP-engines (there was an Audi rumor a few months ago and BMW is already there).
- NASCAR appeaces the American manufacturers who are (according to autoextremist.com) clamoring for more road races and more relevant technology
- Opel is talking to Williams and others about a DTM-campaign with the Insignia... add a new grill and you can race it as a Buick Regal in the US.

Last edited by Speed-King; 4 Aug 2010 at 09:21.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2739390)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Looks like Grand Am will indeed get a DTM-class:
So, this means a DTM vehicle will be competing for overall wins in the GA series, eventually...I can't see a DP keeping pace with a DTM vehicle.

Probably just me, but it is all of this is a bit confusing right now.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2739393)   #99
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So, this means a DTM vehicle will be competing for overall wins in the GA series, eventually...I can't see a DP keeping pace with a DTM vehicle.
Not necessarily... Aufrecht talks in that interview about how there will be a performance balancing for DTM and Super GT cars in Japan, so we can assume that the same will happen in the US. And then, we are talking about the new-regs-DTM-cars and perhaps DP2.0s, which will be sleaker and a little more high tech... so I would be surprised to really see them outpace the DPs.

Quote:
Probably just me, but it is all of this is a bit confusing right now.
It's confusing as hell right now, as the Aufrecht interview leaves a lot of open questions - I even bought the print version to get some more details, but that didn't really help either. The above is just my personal, but IMHO reasonable speculation.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2739404)   #100
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Essentially GT500 and DTM cars have been prototypes. It wouldn't take much to have all of them share a similar chassis rules set, allowing for different silhouette skins. They are afterall just a silhouette formula.

Making any assumption where it is a shared chassis platform (GT500, DTM and Grand AM), with performance at or above FIA GT1/DP levels, which is really where GT500 is, you can see the possibilities for branding. Forget the DP body, these things are going to be the IMSA silhouettes of the late 70's... just as DTM and SuperGT are currently.

So, the actual branding will be much stronger moving forward.

So, you will have a high performance silhouette formula GT as the lead class, and then FIA GT3 performance levels as the secondary class. Just my speculation, but if it becomes reality, I have to say I like it.