Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 May 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3248814)   #76
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Grand Am only got 27k at their event earlier this year.....
Apples an Oranges.

Grant-Am is equivilent to Aus GT (NASCAR being the major category).

I wonder what % of fans a standalone AusGT event would pull in compared to F1 at Melbourne (i suspect it'd be alot less than 10%
Old 17 May 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3248817)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Austin is a little different to the rest of Texas which is a lot different than the rest of the US. These arrest are no big deal, common occurrence downtown.
Having been to Texas for a while previously, it is certainly a little different to the rest of the country...

I never found the police there to be any hassle at all. I could easily see that they were wary of people they do not know, and didnt seem to enjoy people disrespecting them.. but in my case were more than helpful at offering directions to different places, as well as warning about parts of the city and beyond to be careful when travelling around..

These guys have a job to do, and any latitude they allow is generally a function of the respect shown to them in the first place.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 May 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3248836)   #78
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Grand Am only got 27k at their event earlier this year.....
Nobody likes Grand Am...
Old 17 May 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3248891)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Well that's good to know. You can't have people like Dutton getting in to trouble with the fuzz, not a good look.

So quite a common occurrence you say? sounds kinda scary as I imagine those cops will be packing heat and wont take any s**t from anyone
Wha? No, the cops aren't cowboys. Austin has quite the nightlife and is home to 50-60k college students. That is why this arrest is common. No big deal, I'm sure those guys are working at the track now. Stuff happens.
Old 17 May 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3248962)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meantime, 2 sessions in and the form book is something even Tom Waterhouse couldnt figure out! Must be some tyre preservation going on, or teams are super confident in their cars! Huge gap from front to back, several seconds

No stories about the running so far on SponsorCafe or at the V8SA site... They really arent great at flyaways are they?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 May 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3248977)   #81
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

??????????

These guys travel half way across the globe, and are having to do minimal laps in a session because they dont have enough tyres???

How silly is that?

Surely the powers that be could have ensured there were 28 cars on track every session, for the whole session, for the price of a couple of sets of Dunlops each

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 May 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3249002)   #82
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Man this place is big... And expensive. Although the exhaust is on the opposite side of the cars they are not as loud as I expected.
Old 17 May 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3249126)   #83
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Man this place is big... And expensive. Although the exhaust is on the opposite side of the cars they are not as loud as I expected.
They're much quieter than Stock Cars and some of the other categories you have there - run mufflers to comply with Australian noise restrictions built into the technical rules. 95db max at 30 metres. F1 has been measured at 120 plus and I'd reckon Stock Cars would be getting up there too.
Old 17 May 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3249142)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Not sure who was on what tyre across the 4 sessions.. but Mr Mostert at P5 is very good in this company!!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 May 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3249143)   #85
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been to a race for just about every series and since the F1 change to V8s the Sprint Cup Cars actually seem and certainly feel a lot louder than F1. The V10s were ear splitting though.
Old 17 May 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3249147)   #86
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I'm interested to see how speeds progress. Right now The World Challenge cars are one second slower than the fastest v8 time. Everyone is still trying to figure out the esses. I haven't seen anyone take the same line through there.
Old 17 May 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3249148)   #87
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And so it began . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
AUSTIN 400 - BROADCAST SCHEDULE

SUNDAY 19TH MAY

V8 Supercars QUAL x2 0500 - 0600
V8 Supercars RACE 0600 - 0745
V8 Supercars RACE 0745 - 0900

MONDAY 20TH MAY

V8 Supercars QUAL x2 0500 - 0600
V8 Supercars RACE 0600 - 0745
V8 Supercars RACE 0745 - 0900
US broadcast time: 09h00 - 12h00 (GMT - 4) SUNDAY, 19 MAY

Obviously Saturday's races will be tape.

Weather report: Click here

Last edited by thebear; 17 May 2013 at 23:36.
Old 17 May 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3249150)   #88
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ignore please - coffee hasn't kicked in!
Old 18 May 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3249158)   #89
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

These guys travel half way across the globe, and are having to do minimal laps in a session because they dont have enough tyres???

How silly is that?

Surely the powers that be could have ensured there were 28 cars on track every session, for the whole session, for the price of a couple of sets of Dunlops each

Speedcafe are reporting that most were on wets because they only get seven sets of tyres for the weekend and there's no pre-marked rubber available at international events.

So was that tweet from BJR about being on "old tyres" wrong as according to Speedcafe, old tyres aren't allowed???
Old 18 May 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3249172)   #90
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinnyMan View Post
Speedcafe are reporting that most were on wets because they only get seven sets of tyres for the weekend and there's no pre-marked rubber available at international events.

So was that tweet from BJR about being on "old tyres" wrong as according to Speedcafe, old tyres aren't allowed???
I presumed the teams allocated one of their 7 sets to running the 4 practice sessions, and that by the time the 4th session came around, they were kinda 'old', with all the sighting & testing laps being put on them. Or maybe they just go off after a few hard laps...

Seems very silly to drag the circus across the world and not have them run because there arent enough tyres...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 May 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3249174)   #91
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'm not a rocket scientist, but isn't 28th 'fastest' actually the slowest?
Old 18 May 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3249175)   #92
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Probably written by someone in their PR department, trying to put the best possible spin on being last in the session
Old 18 May 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3249180)   #93
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I presumed the teams allocated one of their 7 sets to running the 4 practice sessions, and that by the time the 4th session came around, they were kinda 'old', with all the sighting & testing laps being put on them. Or maybe they just go off after a few hard laps...

Seems very silly to drag the circus across the world and not have them run because there arent enough tyres...
They were all over the place. Lots of offs and lock ups. Looked like it was tough to find grip. It was fairly hot too.
Old 18 May 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3249183)   #94
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO this will be a tyre management race , and get the best set of points available. Some drivers manage tyres, others a bit harder.

Still, if you in the top 10 and get some good track postion, you should do well, just the pitstops that will decide a few positions, pray for no locked wheel nuts.
Old 18 May 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3249185)   #95
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO this will be a tyre management race , and get the best set of points available. Some drivers manage tyres, others a bit harder.

Still, if you in the top 10 and get some good track postion, you should do well, just the pitstops that will decide a few positions, pray for no locked wheel nuts.
Old 18 May 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3249218)   #96
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems very silly to drag the circus across the world and not have them run because there aren't enough tyres...
Sounds even more so when you read that they didn't have any extra tyres set aside to do the media rides later in the day.
It was a case of 'use a set of wets or one from your allocation'.

I am all for cost cutting - but surely there's a smarter way of doing it rather than the farcical way we have seen in Texas.
Looks rather embarrassing for the series....if in-fact anyone over there is watching/taking an interest??
Old 18 May 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3249223)   #97
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Sounds even more so when you read that they didn't have any extra tyres set aside to do the media rides later in the day.

I am all for cost cutting - but surely there's a smarter way of doing it rather than the farcical way we have seen in Texas.
Looks rather embarrassing for the series....if in-fact anyone over there is watching/taking an interest??
Best guess is there were 10k or so there today. Don't expect to see many in the stands. American road racing fans tend to stay away from them.
Old 18 May 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3249242)   #98
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
yep u cracked the case.
Old 18 May 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3249258)   #99
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This race was to create some positive interest for V8sc? Almost absolutely nothing has been made of it. Here in Melbourne, only some interview with Holdsworth on SEN is the only talk I've heard about it. No one cares. Get it over and done with.
Old 18 May 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3249264)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

How are they cutting costs if a team burns up a brand new set of wets, instead of being allowed to run on an additional set of slicks?

#CANCERSUCKS