Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Sep 2007, 07:12 (Ref:2023202)   #76
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Maybe if GARRA occupies the niché that is elsewhere occupied by touring car racing (i.e. fender banging, involvement ofmainstream manufacturers and so on...), they can coexist.
What niche? I don't see any sign that niche exists here. (Most niches have real people in them. You can tell there is a niche by seeing if any of the "niche members" show up.)
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2023495)   #77
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I think you can argue that in North America outside of NASCAR, the rest of the national racing series out there are competing for the left overs in terms of sponsorship money. AMA, ALMS, GARRA, IRL, CCWS, NHRA, etc.
'left overs' ??? That is saying that sponsorship money is finite. That could not be further from the truth.

Sponsorship money or advertising money is more then abundant, it is just packaging to show motor sports is the right opportunity with the target market for companies products or services.

Get the demographics of each sport is a starting point. ALMS and GARRA have two different demographics of spectators.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:33 (Ref:2023670)   #78
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
ALMS and GARRA have two different demographics of spectators.
Which makes life damn confusing for those of us who support both series.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 18:02 (Ref:2023743)   #79
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
'left overs' ??? That is saying that sponsorship money is finite. That could not be further from the truth.

Sponsorship money or advertising money is more then abundant, it is just packaging to show motor sports is the right opportunity with the target market for companies products or services.

Get the demographics of each sport is a starting point. ALMS and GARRA have two different demographics of spectators.
I could not disagree more with your thesis that "sponsorship money is"...what...infinite?

Yup, it's all "demographics of spectators." That's why Rolex is Grand Am's title sponsor, of course.

Sponsorship is absolutely finite, limited, budgeted.

You'd better call ALMS, Champ Car, and IRL immediately. They NEED YOUR HELP.

Last edited by TWK; 26 Sep 2007 at 18:09.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2023763)   #80
schiattarella
Rookie

schiattarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

hmmm problem is very few people in advertising who approve this sort of thing see any of these series as a viable option worth while of the budgets the teams need (with nascar/ F1 as the main exception).. truth is most advertising executives wont put their heads on the line and sponsor a team for several hundred thousand/ million when they can just follow the main stream avenues.. i'd say something like 90% of sponsorship in motorsport is through business to business relations through well connected team owners, etc... There's so many demographic figures showing what a great investment motorsport offers in return for money (and i'm not saying they're wrong) but getting sponsorship purely based on demographic value even with all the TV time and things like this is near impossible unless the sponsor has some connection to the team/ driver or the sponsor has a direct passion for motorsport...

As nascar has shown the cars are one of the least important factors to the success of a formula it's all about how marketable it is as very few people can spend $$$ on racing for fun...

sorry way off topic back to the original topic- Does anyone have any idea what the new generation DP's will look like (sketches, pics) and also can someone tell me the long term plans of DP's and ALMS? Are ALMS keeping GT1 & GT2 and open top prototypes or are they switching over the the euro plans also (as i thought i read open top proto's will be phased out and maybe also gt1 & gt1 changed?)- can someone update me..

thanks
Old 26 Sep 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2023909)   #81
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
I

You'd better call ALMS, Champ Car, and IRL immediately. They NEED YOUR HELP.
Sure no Problem. I am sure they would be happy to pay me the 15% commission on any sponsorship I find them.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:42 (Ref:2023937)   #82
elan
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA
elan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Very true. Two different demograhics of spectators. One series has spectators, one does not.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:51 (Ref:2023942)   #83
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiattarella
sorry way off topic back to the original topic- Does anyone have any idea what the new generation DP's will look like (sketches, pics) and also can someone tell me the long term plans of DP's and ALMS?
I've seen nothing of the 2008 DP designs yet. I had said I wasn't really expecting anything along those lines for SEMA, but now Sigalsport has said they'll be announcing their plans then. Maybe it's not entirely unpossible that we'll see some of the new bodywork unveiled as well.

As for the long-term plans, the new bodywork is supposed to last through 2012, at which time I also suppose we may see the DP Mk II after ten years of the Mk I.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:55 (Ref:2023945)   #84
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
Very true. Two different demograhics of spectators. One series has spectators, one does not.
DING DING We have a WINNER.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 08:05 (Ref:2024124)   #85
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gather then that ALMS has bigger crowds than GA - so in terms of the TV ratings which series is better ?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:53 (Ref:2024341)   #86
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
I gather then that ALMS has bigger crowds than GA - so in terms of the TV ratings which series is better ?
I am sure our friends stateside will enlighten us, but I am 99% sure ALMS gets much better TV ratings. I have a feeling it now gets better ratings than IRL & Champ car as well - but I am not sure on that one.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2024358)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This wouldn't surprise me. I am interested to know whether it is due to ALMS increasing its viewing figures, the other series seeing falling figures, or a combination.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2024370)   #88
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
ALMS had two important things that GA does not:

1. Authnitc Motorsports History, Le Mans, Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari

2. Leading Edge technology, Audi R10 TDI

ALMS Media Consultant: Pfanner Communications Inc

Watch these Videos:

The Making of the ALMS TV Spot

American Le Mans Series 2007 Excitement <-- Get your heart pounding.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 27 Sep 2007 at 12:46.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 13:22 (Ref:2024392)   #89
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I am sure our friends stateside will enlighten us, but I am 99% sure ALMS gets much better TV ratings. I have a feeling it now gets better ratings than IRL & Champ car as well - but I am not sure on that one.
ALMS ratings recives higher ratings then CCW, GARRA, and IRL ( not counting indy 500)combined. Some of the ALMS ratings are almost as high as the smaller NASCAR races.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 15:09 (Ref:2024455)   #90
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proof?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2024467)   #91
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I've seen nothing of the 2008 DP designs yet.
I have pic of the Dallara. Not certain what I'm doing with it yet
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2024497)   #92
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ALMS ratings recives higher ratings then CCW, GARRA, and IRL ( not counting indy 500)combined. Some of the ALMS ratings are almost as high as the smaller NASCAR races.
Whoa, lay down that crack pipe, man!

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...ngs-notes.html

The non-Indy ICS races averaged a 1.1 on ABC this year. The ALMS ratings started with a zero on network this year. The ESPN broadcasts for ICS averaged 0.5, but if you're comparing the cable ICS broadcasts to the network ALMS broadcasts then that's not apples-to-apples. IIRC, the highest ALMS network rating a couple years ago was a low 1-point for Dale Jr's ill-fated Infineon Corvette venture, even though he didn't make the race.

The one network broadcast for Grand-Am was the opening hour of the Rolex 24 at Daytona on Fox (admittedly special circumstances) which got a 0.9 (rounded-up from a 0.8-somethinghigerthanfive).

As for Champ Car, I could hardly care less about them this year (with one exception; I enjoy exclaiming, "Go, Doorknobs!"), so I haven't been paying attention to their ratings other than what one soaks up just by observing some USOW forums. The one network rating I'm finding quickly is a 0.4 for Road America on ABC, which tied the ALMS's rating on NBC for the same venue and weekend. (Oh, dear Lord, I had mercifully forgotten that NBC broadcast, but it's all coming back!!!).

The ratings for anything on SPEED are too low to appear among the top-rated sports programs, so I've never seen them on the publically available lists. I'd imagine pretty much everything there gets low oh-points apart from NASCAR.

So maybe if you took the highest rated ALMS network broadcast and compared it to the cable broadcasts of the other series you'd be right, but I wouldn't say that's a valid comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I have pic of the Dallara. Not certain what I'm doing with it yet
Quick, has anyone some incriminating or embarrassing photos to use as blackmail?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:08 (Ref:2024623)   #93
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske
Whoa, lay down that crack pipe, man!

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...ngs-notes.html

No Crack pipe. Many time on THIS forum one needs to say something one way for some for the real info to come out. Glad you caught on.

Thanks for the link.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2024639)   #94
Geva-Nelson
Racer

Netherlands
Geva-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ugly cars, too many yellows, complete lack of a wow factor.... and yes i have actually seen them in real life
Old 28 Sep 2007, 04:14 (Ref:2024849)   #95
TWK
Veteran

For those interested in real data with no editorial comment, here is some Nielsen data:
(2003-2005 Network coverage only)

Race/Network/Rating/Households
Atlanta GP CBS 0.5/2 585K
Mid-Ohio CBS 0.8/2 827K
Infineon CBS 0.8/2 832K

Mid-Ohio CBS 1.0/3 1.1M
Infineon CBS 1.2/3 1.3M
Mosport CBS 0.9/3 950K
Laguna Seca NBC 0.7/2 748K

Road Atlanta CBS 0.8/2 902K
Sears Point NBC 0.6/2 649K
Mosport NBC 0.8/2 805K
Laguna Seca NBC 1.1/3 1.2M

2005 Comparative Summary

ALMS averaged a .7 rating and 750K households on CBS, a .2 rating and 120K households on Speedtv.

Grand Am averaged a .3 and 160K households on Speedtv.

Champ Car averaged a .8 and 850K households on CBS, .8 and 875K households on NBC, and .2 and 130K households on Speedtv.

IRL averaged .9 and 975K households on ABC, .6 and 540K households on ESPN, a .3 and 290K households on ESPN2

(Anyone who can add the rest of 2006 and 2007 data will be appreciated....just the data.)

Last edited by TWK; 28 Sep 2007 at 04:22.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2025127)   #96
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
2005 Comparative Summary

ALMS averaged a .2 rating and 120K households on Speedtv.

Champ Car averaged a .2 and 130K households on Speedtv.

IRL averaged .3 and 290K households on ESPN2
That says a lot right there.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2025210)   #97
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Racer
And if you're a fan of any all you can do is...
Old 28 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2025224)   #98
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK

ALMS averaged a .7 rating and 750K households on CBS, a .2 rating and 120K households on Speedtv.

Champ Car averaged a .8 and 850K households on CBS, .8 and 875K households on NBC, and .2 and 130K households on Speedtv.

IRL averaged .9 and 975K households on ABC, .6 and 540K households on ESPN, a .3 and 290K households on ESPN2

(Anyone who can add the rest of 2006 and 2007 data will be appreciated....just the data.)
and what are the demogrphics of each household?
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:40 (Ref:2025293)   #99
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Racer
It does? I wonder what. I'm pretty sure you'll find that there is no significant difference statistically or in exposure value between any of those ratings.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2025296)   #100
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it says a lot about the value of Speed TV.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James