Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2552381)   #76
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi has to stay in F1, who else will move the microphone up, down, left, and right 400 times during the post race interview?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2552388)   #77
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will certainly miss his charisma. He just has one of those personalities that lights up a room. During his press conferences you hang onto every one of his words, you know?

If (god forbid) his driving days come to an end then he can surely make a bob or two as an after dinner speaker or perhaps move into television should the urge arise. He has the credentials, all he needs is the will. One could not blame him if he just chose to sit at home in Finland, quaffing vodka and cosying up to his missus.

But for now he simply has too much to offer to the sport. With Michael Schumacher not likely to come back now, there is nobody else left to fly the flag for terrible sunglasses and crap hair. It is simply too early for him to turn his back on the sport that has given him so much.

Unless, maybe, the sport has turned its back on him?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2552417)   #78
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A harsh assessment. Kimi is his own man.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 06:14 (Ref:2552450)   #79
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
But for now he simply has too much to offer to the sport. With Michael Schumacher not likely to come back now, there is nobody else left to fly the flag for terrible sunglasses and crap hair.
I don't know - I think it's covered with Button for the former and Grosjean for the latter
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2554789)   #80
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
A harsh assessment. Kimi is his own man.
I agree.
I think he may come back via McLaren but he will only do so if he is 100% happy with the deal and the prospective car offered.

He has nothing to prove, can do whatever he likes, has abundant talent and the time and money to plan the rest of his life his way....

Why not take your time... Why be rushed...
Old 5 Oct 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2554822)   #81
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Kimi has said he only wants to continue in F1 if he gets a competitive car, which seems eminently sensible to me. The story goes that his people have told McLaren what they would want for him to go there and the top brass are stalling on the price (or maybe the terms) at the moment, which probably explains why there will be no immediate decision. It's an obvious fit, though, with Santander having allegedly chipped in substantially to pay him off on behalf of Ferrari.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2554990)   #82
f-lot
Rookie

f-lot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21897.html

The last line:

"One man who might be in line for the job is Heikki Kovalainen, who is going to be ousted at McLaren when Kimi Raikkonen returns from Italy."

grandprix.com is not a site to post rumours, and on the rare occasion that they do, they are clearly identified as such. Then again, they don't explicitly say Kimi is or will be signed, but why else would the ousting of Heikki depend on him?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2555124)   #83
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
grandprix.com is another of Joe Saward's enterprises. I suppose it's his official website and the other one is more personal. So, as you say, anything from there is pretty solid.

I'd be quite happy if the Kimi to McLaren/Heikki to Renault deals happen. Maybe it's sorting out the latter that has delayed the Kubica announcement.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2555129)   #84
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I will certainly miss his charisma. He just has one of those personalities that lights up a room. During his press conferences you hang onto every one of his words, you know?

If (god forbid) his driving days come to an end then he can surely make a bob or two as an after dinner speaker or perhaps move into television should the urge arise. He has the credentials, all he needs is the will. One could not blame him if he just chose to sit at home in Finland, quaffing vodka and cosying up to his missus.

But for now he simply has too much to offer to the sport. With Michael Schumacher not likely to come back now, there is nobody else left to fly the flag for terrible sunglasses and crap hair. It is simply too early for him to turn his back on the sport that has given him so much.

Unless, maybe, the sport has turned its back on him?
I think Kimi is the most fascinating personality in the paddock. Still waters run deep you know?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2555236)   #85
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he arrived at Suzuka circuit on Sunday driving an E550 Mercedes. Read into that what you will.

I can assure you that he was driving that Merc. He obviously doesnt give rats ass about Ferrari anymore.
Half the crowd waiting at the gate were Kimi fans and went nuts when he arrived.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2555567)   #86
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Kimi is the most misunderstood driver in F1, I feel like a broken record.. He is his own man and does not fit into the "Hello I am the smiley winner of the race" contest and "I drive for Ferrari"...

Who cares really?
Old 7 Oct 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2555822)   #87
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Kimi is the most misunderstood driver in F1, I feel like a broken record.. He is his own man and does not fit into the "Hello I am the smiley winner of the race" contest and "I drive for Ferrari"...

Who cares really?
A few of us (at least) on here share your point of view. Kimi really should have raced in an earlier generation when individuals were appreciated for who they were, not expected to be stereotypes.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2555834)   #88
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
A few of us (at least) on here share your point of view. Kimi really should have raced in an earlier generation when individuals were appreciated for who they were, not expected to be stereotypes.
Count me in that group too. I get tired of the stereotype that every driver must be a "win at all costs" attitude and be feiry/media savvy etc.
All this "motivation" and "finally woken up" stuff is dreary too. Until he tells us why, know one will know really why he's had that slump since mid season last year.

Back to topic...

This may sound a shallow argument but I for one will most likely stop watching F1 if Kimi goes. Pathetic point maybe but I will miss him.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2555841)   #89
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood View Post
Count me in that group too. I get tired of the stereotype that every driver must be a "win at all costs" attitude and be feiry/media savvy etc.
All this "motivation" and "finally woken up" stuff is dreary too. Until he tells us why, know one will know really why he's had that slump since mid season last year.

Back to topic...

This may sound a shallow argument but I for one will most likely stop watching F1 if Kimi goes. Pathetic point maybe but I will miss him.
I agree also. More in a, not all drivers need to be PR puppets, sort of way.

Funny you say that about stopping watching. I can't say I would go that far, but since Ferrari signed Alonso, I've been wondering who and what team I would root for. I've been a Ferrari fan since I started watching F1, but recognized Kimi's talent at Mac. That made it easy to stick with him when he moved to Ferrari. If Kimi went to Mac, I wouldn't mind seeing him perform, but can't say I would want that team to win. The opposite could be said for Ferrari. I love the team, but am not the slightest bit exited about their driver lineup now. They don't impress me.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2555844)   #90
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

Who cares really?
Agree 100% with your comments Jeremy, still as fast as anyone out there in my opinion, and the fact that he occasionally gets drunk, hugs inflatable dolphins, is married to Miss Finland etc etc should be looked at as entertainment we get to find out about, not frowned upon.
F1 needs more Kimi's, not robots who dare not say, do, or look as the teams, sponsors etc want them to.
Racing would be a poorer place without him, but I could fully understand his reasoning should he decide to walk away.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2556292)   #91
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think maybe he's going to go rallying rather than ...
Old 8 Oct 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2556964)   #92
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
For once I hope you're wrong, Bononi. Kimi still has too much to offer F1.

Meanwhile, here are Joe Saward's rather inconclusive thoughts on the subject.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2556992)   #93
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he should go rallying. He appears in need of a fresh challenge and it would add interest to an otherwise dead category.

I know he has driven well lately, but it's come after what has felt an absolute age of mediocrity.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2556999)   #94
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are only 4 real factory drives in WRC, with 4 additional satelite factory drives. There are many professional rally drivers competing for these drives, what makes you think Kimi, who has next to no rally experience, would be able to leapfrog these drivers and get a competetive seat?
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2557002)   #95
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sjøholm View Post
There are only 4 real factory drives in WRC, with 4 additional satelite factory drives. There are many professional rally drivers competing for these drives, what makes you think Kimi, who has next to no rally experience, would be able to leapfrog these drivers and get a competetive seat?
Rallying is short on stars at present and Kimi is a star. He would increase viewing figures and attract sponsors.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2557005)   #96
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sjøholm View Post
The same thing that makes many here think that Loeb has a chance at a F1 seat:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118080
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2557008)   #97
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
The same thing that makes many here think that Loeb has a chance at a F1 seat.
Loeb is widely rumoured to have already agreed to drive for Toro Rosso in Abu Dhabi, hence the fact that he is currently testing for a GP2 outfit.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2557029)   #98
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think his lack of pace today may force a rethink so I don't think it's certain yet

I've seen it suggested that Kimi to Red Bull could lead to an interesting tie-up/exchange programme, given that Citroen are also sponsored by them
Old 8 Oct 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2557031)   #99
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Rallying is short on stars at present and Kimi is a star. He would increase viewing figures and attract sponsors.
Off-topic, but Petter Solberg seems to be making a comeback and he has real star quality - Hollywood!

Even more off-topic, Norway has recently been judged to have the highest standard of living in the world.

Since I seem to be into random facts in this post, is it generally known outside the F1 paddock that Nico Rosberg is nick-named Britney?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2557133)   #100
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Off-topic...
Since I seem to be into random facts in this post, is it generally known outside the F1 paddock that Nico Rosberg is nick-named Britney?
But his weight is ok...