Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Nov 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2575242)   #76
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't really add more than what's been put already.

Yes, there were various teething troubles (such as the overall sizes), possibly more so for the early arrivals than the rest of us, but there wasn't anything that time and experience can't solve. Despite the heat and the aforementioned problems I really enjoyed the experience. To those who weren't able to go this year, if you get an opportunity in the future I'd say go for it. Big thanks to everyone at the ATCUAE and BARC who worked endlessly behind the scenes, particularly the crew who spent all day delivering water around the track, and all those at post 24 who had to put up with my company for three days.

The track is absolutely amazing, but then it should be considering what they've spent on it! My only real criticism is the line of sight (or lack thereof) between some of the flag points. It'd be interesting to see them try and run a clubbie there...
Old 4 Nov 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2575660)   #77
Keith Kehoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Runcorn, Cheshire
Keith Kehoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wish to add my thanks to BARC & ATCUAE, especially for laying on the trips to Abhu Dhabi City & Dubiah on our off days. I was chief flag on post 9 (the hairpin) for the Gp & would like to say hi to Dan & the rest of the guys. I would also like to congratulate the 2 local flaggies I had with me (Jimmy & Ivy) who althought they had only done a couple of meetings at Dubiah Autodrome did an excellent job.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2575803)   #78
brownie1
Rookie

brownie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
On our post it got as high at 47 degs on Saturday. Sunday was equally as hot and also quite humid. I find that once it gets over 35 degs I don't really feel that much difference at it gets into the 40's. That may sound silly but you notice for example the difference between 25-35 than you do 35-45.

As long as you are sensible and use high factor sun cream/block and seek shade when the opportunity presents itself, you will be fine.
Must have left the thermometer out in the sun , 47 is what it gets to in summer in the UAE and that's been gone a month or so now. The actual Ambient Temp on the day was 35 degrees C, still warm by British standards. The locals don't even stand out in the sun when it's 47! that's only for camels
Old 4 Nov 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2575827)   #79
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just like to add my thanks to BARC and all for a wonderful experience.
Thanks to Robin, Gary, Steve, Paul, Darryl & Chris on post 24. Thanks to all the ladies on the boats/ships behind us for keeping us happy!
Thanks to Etihad for getting us there and back.
My liver thought it had been given a transplant, the amount of water it was getting, but all that has been resolved now!
The lights on the hotel and all the ships claxons at the end were awesome.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2575918)   #80
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great time the GP2 testing was awesome I was on post 13 watching them whizz past then braking into turn 8 or over shooting under the west grandstand run off area. The Grand Prix weekend was spent at post 21 with the super yachts behind us and in front turns 11,12,and 13 a super complex of corners starting with a 90' left followed by a slight right then left again which caused the rear end to be thrown out as it went into turn 14.

A big thanks to the BARC management, Ian Watson,John Felix, and Denis Carter, the ATCUAE team Ronan Morgan, John Spiller and the Marshal Surport team I hope we did not give them too many headaches

I feel very honoured to be involved with the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2575928)   #81
TVRtoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Warrington
TVRtoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great time, with a great crew on Post 15 (turns 8 & 9). A newbie rolled up wanting to get involved, said 'is name was Kovalainen, yeah right!

Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2576418)   #82
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick, they were boats, navies have ships!
Oh my liver knows just how your,s feels.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2576427)   #83
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant event.Good team work by all I came into contact with and we all got the job done and to time .
The blazing Chevrolet in the GP2 Pits entry on Sunday woke us all up.Got to be the first racing fire at the Yas Marina circuit .
Nice touch by Dennis Carter to make sure he got on each bus at the end of play on Sunday to say thank you.
I hope the new occupants of "Camp Orange " enjoy the new furniture.(especially the few remaining sofas that might have remained intact.).
Well done BARC and ATCUAE .It did it for me !
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2576433)   #84
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks View Post
Nick, they were boats, navies have ships!
Oh my liver knows just how your,s feels.
So how big does a boat have to be before it becomes a ship?
Next you'll be telling me they're yachts, even though they are 5 storeys high and have no masts or sails.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2576434)   #85
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my book, if it's big enough to land a helicopter on, then it's a ship
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2576435)   #86
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Old 5 Nov 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2576632)   #87
bmjones68
Rookie

Wales
Bromsgrove, Worcs. UK
bmjones68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can say it was with out frustrations but for the first ever circuit race in AD then a new organisation team did pretty well given the let downs they suffered from suppliers etc.

I was Chief Flag as per the FIA for Post 8 - First Chicane approach - i had two local guys flagging (Ramirez and Peter) they did a fantastic job and flagged the whole weekend with some perfect blues. I had an easy weekend simply answering their questions and supporting their confidence.

Thanks to IVAN - Post Chief for letting us do what we thought was right, and Operations (based in the racing school) for letting us use their garages, water, drinks etc.

Thanks to all at BARC who made it happen by inviting/selecting me.

Hope to return.
[IMG]file:///F:/My%20Photographs/CASIO%20ex-z50/Abu%20Dhabi%20F1%20GP%20November%202009/CIMG6469.JPG[/IMG]
Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2576851)   #88
Sandy Rhodes
Rookie

Sandy Rhodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... as an outside observer, I am very happy to read that, what could be taken as, the majority of the BARCers seem to have enjoyed the Yas experience. It appears to be common knowledge that those elements which were “below par” caused the ATC acute embarrassment irrespective of source/cause but that your patience and understanding was very much appreciated. There is much praise for the UAE marshals, the majority of whom went to the GP without any previous “hands on” experience, a situation that many of you may find difficult to comprehend having laboriously worked your way up through the UK qualifying process. I know that they are very grateful for the example, camaraderie and tuition that you all afforded them.
Statistically, a percentage will always find fault irrespective of the standard of any arrangements and forget that they are part of a huge team and that issues relating to an individual are sometimes difficult to prioritise. It is a credit to you that the vast majority accepted the issues, got “stuck in” and actually contributed to overcoming them and/or putting up with them.
As many have stated, the organisation of an event on this scale is a sharp and precarious learning experience. Many lessons will have been learned and if not acted upon, then there is justifiable cause for criticism.
That said, the meeting went like a dream. The major concern of any “start up” event is that some element, attributable to lack of experience or poor management, could cause a major embarrassment to all concerned from the UAE Government to the most humble official, very publicly, in front of a global live tv audience. In fact, as the race went into its closing stages, it became apparent that such concerns could be dismissed and that we were witnessing a sensation that would, and did, become the talking point of the Formula 1™ season, and you, happy, dehydrated, grumpy and exhausted as you may have been, made a huge and vital contribution to that success.
Reading the local Press/Forums and circulars from the ATC, it might be opportune to pass on the following via this forum:-
A pair of brown socks has been found in Cell 161
The passes which were outstanding are now available
Some components, of what appears to be a glider, were found inside the vaulting horse
Two middle aged men in orange overalls have been spotted waiting for a bus at the concert venue (Friday 6th, 10:30)
“Harry”, was discovered when five labourers were caught attempting to get into the camp....all that hard work!!!
Apparently a Swiss Army knife is still missing?
Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2576870)   #89
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not found the hidden motorbike yet then ??

Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2576871)   #90
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandy,
Welcome to 10ths
and must say, for your 1st post on here, it is a quite impressive one, really does sum up the whole time we were out there.
But wouldnt have changed it, one of my life highlights, plus have made some really good friends out there aswell.
Roll on next year & fingers crossed.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2577024)   #91
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Thanks Sandy,
and welcome to our forum.
Considering the enormity of the task, there were bound to be a few things that didn't quite go to plan.
I'm pleased to say that the vast mojority of us had the attitude of "ask not what the organisers are going to do about it, ask how you are going to deal with it".
These things certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic opportunity.
I heard the swiis army knife had made it back to Europe and was last seen trying to cross the Alps into it's native land!
Old 6 Nov 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2577053)   #92
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry just got back, didn,t realise the war was over.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2577061)   #93
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belated thanks to all involved from myself and Vicky - we had a great time out there and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves despite the hiccups (soon sorted after medical intervention from a paramedic and a vet!).

Special thanks from me to all the guys on Post 22 (thanks for the pic Susie) and from the adjacent posts for helping out especially with the GP2 on the inside on Saturday; and to Robin & Clive from Post 21 for giving us a hand and JCB with Alguersuari's car during the GP.

And finally congratulations to Jordan from the ATC on our incident team for a great job all weekend, I think he was floating on air after getting his hands on an F1 car during the race - highlight of the weekend for me.

Great working with all of you as always.

Cheers
Neil & Vix
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2577098)   #94
steviec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton, UK
steviec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_davidson2 View Post
Belated thanks to all involved from myself and Vicky - we had a great time out there and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves despite the hiccups (soon sorted after medical intervention from a paramedic and a vet!).

Special thanks from me to all the guys on Post 22 (thanks for the pic Susie) and from the adjacent posts for helping out especially with the GP2 on the inside on Saturday; and to Robin & Clive from Post 21 for giving us a hand and JCB with Alguersuari's car during the GP.

And finally congratulations to Jordan from the ATC on our incident team for a great job all weekend, I think he was floating on air after getting his hands on an F1 car during the race - highlight of the weekend for me.

Great working with all of you as always.

Cheers
Neil & Vix
It was a pleasure to work with everyone on Post 22. Just started to get my body clock back onto UK time, now off to the USA for a two week holiday.

Throughly enjoyed my week in AD, the weather, the great company, the atmosphere and the fantastic team of locals on our post made the week complete.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2577515)   #95
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I'm pleased to say that the vast mojority of us had the attitude of "ask not what the organisers are going to do about it, ask how you are going to deal with it".
Very well said. I believe this made the meeting happen.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2577886)   #96
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can someone have a word with Bernie please? Thought I might get a chance to go next year but just found out I'll be in Florida!
Old 8 Nov 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2578510)   #97
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Can someone have a word with Bernie please? Thought I might get a chance to go next year but just found out I'll be in Florida!
Steve,
What sort of marshal are you? Unless you're getting married or your partner is expecting, everything else comes second
Old 8 Nov 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2578518)   #98
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Steve,
What sort of marshal are you? Unless you're getting married or your partner is expecting, everything else comes second

Long planned trip to Disney & fitting around school holidays also takes priority (or a trip to the divorce courts!!). I've heard it's a 5 year deal for BARC so maybe best get a Brit GP (if it happens) or 2 under my belt first.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2578523)   #99
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Steve,

you saying there is a life outside of marshalling...
never noticed...
Old 8 Nov 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2578537)   #100
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post

Long planned trip to Disney & fitting around school holidays also takes priority (or a trip to the divorce courts!!). I've heard it's a 5 year deal for BARC so maybe best get a Brit GP (if it happens) or 2 under my belt first.
When I left for A.D, I told she who must be obeyed I was just popping out to buy a newspaper. How was I to know she couldn't read Arabic!