Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Apr 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2667259)   #76
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I noticed that too Piglet, and was a trifle suprised, since BARC were the first to mention this idea a couple of years back that insurance requirements meant we should all be corralled into cages. MSVR representatives may have mentioned it at a Saturday morning briefing, ONCE, maybe twice, again not recently.

I think it (being caged) is total ******** and a terrible overreaction due to someone misinterpreting the insurance position regards us being in a protected area.

Very few of us out there trackside want to be completely penned in. Week after week many of us perform our duty without chainlink between us and the competitors.

If it is written down in B&W, then what's the status when we step out beyond the armco protected by a bit of flappy cloth that only some seem capable of acting upon? Dare say it would need a court case to set precedent.

So lets stop there, please..
I think it comes from the track licence; an organising club/owner whoever will have insurance and that will require them to operate within the rules set down by their governing body. If the governing body says in the track licence that marshals should be protected by debris fencing and positioned at points A, B and C, an organising club etc. is going to have to demonstrate that it wasn't negligent to allow marshals to stand at point Z which is unprotected if a marshal stood at post Z was squished by a flying car or part of a car.

I suspect of course if depends on the location, someone stood at the outside of your beach at 4a is at less risk than someone stood in an unprotected position on the outside of a corner with a small run off.

With regard to a marshal hit whilst trackside, I'm not aware of any caselaw (which must be a good thing?) but I suspect the position will be similar, an organiser will have to demonstrate that the action in took in allowing/instructing marshals to go trackside at that moment in time was the action of a reasonable race organiser. To me, that's likely to mean that if an organiser knew that earlier in the session competitors behaved badly under a yellow flag, they should be aware that there is a risk of this happening again and perhaps amend their strategy accordingly. That is of course a whole different (and to the anoraks amongst us very interesting ) topic for elsewhere....
Old 5 Apr 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2667276)   #77
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
If the governing body says in the track licence that marshals should be protected by debris fencing and positioned at points A, B and C,
<snip>

(and to the anoraks amongst us very interesting ) topic for elsewhere....
aha - the Paulo Ghislimberti defence...not our fault guv he was standing in the wrong place -

see also a case closer to home.

"The jury also heard that the marshalling positions on the left-hand side of the circuit had not been drawn on the track map and officials did not know they were there."

If you wanted to use these as precedent, then PC's should be given some sort of documentation regards placement of resources or CoCs/Stewards should have their eyes open on these interminable inspection laps.

but as you say Piglet, something better discussed in a less public place.

PS never seen or heard details of the track licence regards marshalling BH in 22 years
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2667293)   #78
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
If you wanted to use these as precedent, then PC's should be given some sort of documentation regards placement of resources or CoCs/Stewards should have their eyes open on these interminable inspection laps.
That's probably a good point, I suspect the short advice is, keep marshals in the protected area and, as a PC, if you really want to CYA ask Race Control to confirm that they are happy with the location of your marshals.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2667305)   #79
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyable weekend, and did watch event on tv later today....just a quick question for you.....the ford focus cars of tom chilton and tom onslow-cole were both LPG powered.....are there any particular requirements for putting out fires.....apart from the usual powder & foam extinguishers as issuied on each post.....
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2667320)   #80
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar View Post
Enjoyable weekend, and did watch event on tv later today....just a quick question for you.....the ford focus cars of tom chilton and tom onslow-cole were both LPG powered.....are there any particular requirements for putting out fires.....apart from the usual powder & foam extinguishers as issuied on each post.....
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121200
Old 5 Apr 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2667347)   #81
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had a good fun weekend on post ten with dave and roger CHIPS
Old 6 Apr 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2667451)   #82
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great weekend on Post 20. Just the usual spins and straight-lining of the chicane until the last Porsche race and 3rd BTCC when it all went slightly silly.

Excellent crew on Post (well done Pete on passing your I/O assessment, very well deserved!). Reacted very well under pressure to clear the porsche shunt ably assisted by Post 22. All in all an awesome weekend.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2667533)   #83
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
My ears have just about recovered from Radio Norbert!!!!!!!

Had a great time as ever, thanks to all the visitors to Thruxton who said hi. Just to say it isn't always that wet so please come back again and enjoy the sunburn as well!!!!!!!
Old 6 Apr 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2667544)   #84
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_g View Post
I was on Post 22, very quiet few days, until last porcshe race then rob collard into the barrier in the last race.
I was quite suprised how the clio's behaved themselves
the first clio race, I was amazed that no-one got tagged at 6. The car had gone off drivers right and straight through the traffic as it went round turn 1 of the complex (campbell?) without touching a single competitor!!

UPDATE: This is the link to the ITV website containing Race Highlights from all three races: http://www.itv.com/sport/btcc/racevi...e/default.html

Last edited by m1fcf; 6 Apr 2010 at 10:51. Reason: adding ITV URL
Old 6 Apr 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2667752)   #85
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_nut View Post
had a good fun weekend on post ten with dave and roger CHIPS
I also had a good weekend thanks to all on Post 10 for your efforts.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2667803)   #86
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lovelock View Post
I also had a good weekend thanks to all on Post 10 for your efforts.

All on Post 10???

Am surprised me and Keith were on post together at Combe too! Bring on the chips!
Old 6 Apr 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2667819)   #87
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thruxton 3/4th april'10

I personally would not want to see a car go over the armco and head towards 12 marshals standing behind a 7 feet wide fence who, at the spur of the moment, all run into each other in an effort to escape.

Good point white flag man, and well done for training 2 Trainees to flag correctly!!

From your friendly P.C.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2667899)   #88
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Remember the porsche that jumped the fence...it can happen..
Old 6 Apr 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2667955)   #89
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet marshal View Post
I personally would not want to see a car go over the armco and head towards 12 marshals standing behind a 7 feet wide fence who, at the spur of the moment, all run into each other in an effort to escape.

Good point white flag man, and well done for training 2 Trainees to flag correctly!!

From your friendly P.C.
You're welcome mate. Thanks for all the good banter. Still laughing about the woman who asked you if the track went all the way round.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2667958)   #90
ALANGRUMPY
Racer

ALANGRUMPY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
3rd BTCC when it all went slightly silly.
Oops! Sorry about that Norbert.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 06:40 (Ref:2668051)   #91
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyable first meeting on rescue - luckily we managed to keep both big incidents to ourselves dealing with both the big Ginetta offs.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2668054)   #92
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANGRUMPY View Post
Oops! Sorry about that Norbert.
You and your big mouth!
Old 7 Apr 2010, 07:45 (Ref:2668084)   #93
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet marshal View Post
So practically, what do you do about this on post? Do you discuss appropriate ways away from the post?

Surely putting marshals outside of the "safe" zone isn't the solution to this problem?
Old 7 Apr 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2668186)   #94
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then the answer would surely be more "safe" zones.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2668215)   #95
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would guess that Marshals using their own common sense would come into this? If they don't feel the position they are placed in is safe, then surely they need to say something?
Old 7 Apr 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2668238)   #96
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought distributing marshals around the sector was normal? It is everywhere I marshal, no experience of Thruxton, though.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2668249)   #97
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
You're right, as usual, Woolley, especially at Thruxton, which is quite a long circuit and the posts are quite a distance apart or on either side of the circuit.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2668292)   #98
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has always been my understanding (what little there is with only a couple of years experience) that the catch fencing on a post was more for the Yellow Flag marshal who would normally be stood with his back to traffic to provide a little more protection for him should it all go a little pear-shaped.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2668383)   #99
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
It has always been my understanding (what little there is with only a couple of years experience) that the catch fencing on a post was more for the Yellow Flag marshal who would normally be stood with his back to traffic to provide a little more protection for him should it all go a little pear-shaped.
That's exactly what it was used for on my post at the weekend. The problem is that the insurance company porbably wouldn't agree. They would probably say it is there for everyone to use.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2668404)   #100
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
You're right, as usual, Woolley, especially at Thruxton, which is quite a long circuit and the posts are quite a distance apart or on either side of the circuit.
You're too kind. I'm often wrong as well.

Not having been to Thruxton, I seem to remember from TV that most of the marshals' posts are pod thingies which change the placement. Does that apply to the chicane-complex area, then, albeit with barriers as well?