Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 5 Nov 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2785621)   #76
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nationwide news: Elliott Sadler to KHI, and Allgaier joins Turner Motorsports (was Brawn).

UPDATE: Kevin Harvick Inc. announced an expansion of its Nationwide Series program with partner CitiFinancial and driver Elliott Sadler. CitiFinancial and Kevin Harvick Inc. have solidified a multi-year deal to compete full time in the Nationwide Series and run select events in the Camping World Truck Series. The partnership will begin on the track during Championship Week at Homestead-Miami Speedway, where Sadler will run the #2 CitiFinancial Chevy in the Truck Series event. In 2011, CitiFinancial will be the primary sponsor for 29 Nationwide Series races with Sadler, and one Nationwide race with Kevin Harvick. This partnership marks both a new beginning for each of the three parties involved, as well as an opportunity to build on past experiences. CitiFinancial, which has maintained a strong presence in the sport since 2004, announced earlier this year that it will be changing its name and will use this sponsorship as a key platform to launch that new brand. KHI is excited to build on its successes in the Nationwide Series and run for a championship in 2011. Sadler will start the next chapter of his 15-year career by reuniting with a former sponsor as he looks to add to his career win total of nine in the top three NASCAR series.(KHI)(11-5-2010)

UPDATE: Turner Motorsports' driver lineup for 2011 includes the return of a number of familiar faces such as Kasey Kahne, Reed Sorenson, Jason Leffler, James Buescher, Ricky Carmichael and USAC superstar, Brad Sweet. The team has also added Justin Allgaier, who will pilot the #31 Chevy for both the 2011 and 2012 seasons. The team will field three full-time entries in both the NCWTS and NNS. Additionally, Turner Motorsports announces that they will continue their relationship with General Motors and the Chevy brand. The organization has created alliances with General Motors powerhouse teams Hendrick Motorsports, who will provide engine support for both its NNS and NCWTS programs, Kevin Harvick Inc. for body and aero support, and Earnhardt Technology Group for drive train and suspension technology assistance. The Nationwide driver/ sponsor lineup is: #30 Chevy - Drivers: Ricky Carmichael, James Buescher and Jason Leffler; Sponsors: Rotation of sponsors including Monster Energy, Wolfpack Energy Services, Great Clips, Rexall, AccuDoc Solutions, BigSpot.com, ABF Freight and FOE; #31 Chevy - Driver: Justin Allgaier - Primary Sponsor: TBD; #32 Chevy - Driver: Reed Sorenson - Primary Sponsor: Dollar General; #38 Chevy - Drivers: Kasey Kahne and Jason Leffler - Primary Sponsor: Great Clips.(Turner Motorsports)(11-5-2010)
Old 6 Nov 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2785651)   #77
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Braun not Brawn.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2785653)   #78
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Turner is well-off, but something about seven cars over two series sounds fishy to me. I just hope this isn't a Bobby Ginn deal or something similar. I'd like to see Allgaier get a real crack at it.

Good to see Sorenson full-time, too, without having to share the 32. Turner could be really competitive next year if they aren't spread too thin.

I wonder what the Citifinancial movement will do with Roush-Fenway. They have Bayne, Darnell, Stenhouse, Braun, and Ickler without rides (and a fleet of Cup drivers who like to run Nationwide), but are lacking sponsorship. And that doesn't even mention the rumor they are restarting their CWTS program and talking to Piquet about that...
Old 6 Nov 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2785751)   #79
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Who's this Turner guy?
Often big spenders spend only a short period as team owner. Hope I am wrong in the case of Turner.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2785872)   #80
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Who's this Turner guy?
Often big spenders spend only a short period as team owner. Hope I am wrong in the case of Turner.
He's made money in the oil industry and is spending it on NASCAR. That's all I've really been able to find on him. I'm skeptical about their 7-car team and, as much as I want to see Allgaier race next year, if TBD remains the 31's sponsor, it'll only last so long.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2786743)   #81
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosAmbroseFan View Post
You Braun not Brawn.

Braun

Brawn

Sorry, I blame the Formula Fords
Old 8 Nov 2010, 02:18 (Ref:2786810)   #82
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Ok, after Kahne tries to get the #4 this, all of a sudden, happens. I think it's a desperate Teresa-esque attempt to hold onto something.

Morgan-McClure coming back in 2011? Morgan-McClure Motorsports is looking to make a return to NASCAR in 2011. The Abingdon, VA-based race team competed on a consistent basis for 24 years. During the 1990's it had a dominant speedway package and won nine races between Daytona and Talladega, including three Daytona 500s with Ernie Irvan and Sterling Marlin. The last season the #4 MMM Chevy competed was 2007 when Ward Burton ran a 16-race schedule [also ran a race in 2009 and attempted Bristil in August in 2010 with Kevin Lepage]. Tim Morgan says the team "has a couple of prospects and hopefully will get something worked out soon." Scott Wimmer, who raced for Morgan-McClure for 23-races in 2006, is the top candidate for the ride. In addition to plans to race a car, Morgan mentioned that a truck team could be a possibility (FoxSports), there have been rumors that Kasey Kahne would run the 4 number on his Red Bull [Toyota? Chevy] car in 2011 instead of #82. If Morgan-McClure comes back in 2011, Kahne would have to either run the #82 or choose a different car number.(11-7-2010)
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2788334)   #83
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hello again, just popping in because I thought you guys might like to know that Travis Pastrana is all set to confirm his drive with MWR next year in the Nationwide Series

Was a bit of a WTF moment for me. Wasn't really expecting it as I hadn't seen anything about to suggest it's going to happen. I guess the lure of the big money is too great even for guys like Travis now

Old 11 Nov 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2788351)   #84
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ha like the comment on the comic figure! I'm sure Carl can help him out with it if he reeeeeaally wants to do it
Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2788686)   #85
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Hmm.....For Nationwide, looks like Gibbs expands to a 3rd team for next year. Driver f the new team will be Brian Scott. As for the Cup drivers in Nationwide, they will be allowed to enter as many races as they wish, but will not be allowed to run for the championship. Weird huh?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2788703)   #86
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Hello again, just popping in because I thought you guys might like to know that Travis Pastrana is all set to confirm his drive with MWR next year in the Nationwide Series

Was a bit of a WTF moment for me. Wasn't really expecting it as I hadn't seen anything about to suggest it's going to happen. I guess the lure of the big money is too great even for guys like Travis now
Hello....

That's cool. Money talks and I guess if we look to the past, two wheelers have been hanging up the leather for the fire suits for years; Surtees and the GOAT come to mind. Any others?

Travis always brings a little extra with him, so I will be interested to see how well he gets on. Winter testing any where?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2788795)   #87
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd say it's reasonably common. Mike Hailwood did F1 and was reasonably successful before he was injured at the Nurburgring in 74. Same for Johnny Cecotto, who went on to become successful in touring cars after being injured at Brands in 84. Giacomo Agostini did a bit of single-seater racing on the side. Wayne Gardner did a bit of car racing as well, I believe. Gregg Hansford lost his life in a touring car crash. Jeff Ward did IRL and won a race for Ganassi, and Eddie Lawson did CART. Didier de Radigues went into sportscars. Stephane Peterhansel has won the Dakar on bikes and in a car. Scott Russell's in GrandAm. A few have had F1 tests as well - Valentino Rossi, Max Biaggi, Mick Doohan, Marco Lucchinelli, even possibly Barry Sheene

Last edited by jab; 11 Nov 2010 at 20:22.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2788843)   #88
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Wayne Gardner did a bit of car racing as well, I believe.
Australian V8 Supercars...
Old 11 Nov 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2788873)   #89
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what's really going on at RPM? Jayski (amongst others) reports about trucks sitting in the paddock, seeing if they have permission to head to the next event, if the bills are paid.

Millions of dollars in bills if you believe what has been reported

Is there actually a saviour through Mr Petty and Mr Evernham around, or is it all optimism?

Does Mr Ambrose have another option? Can Black & Decker/Stanley drive their sponsorship over to Wood Bros, bring a shedload of guys and chassis and engines along, and go play race cars?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2788944)   #90
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
you would think that with the love affair between Ford and Ambrose being rekindled that they (or via RFR) would get something organised, surely with the sponsorship ready to go...
Old 13 Nov 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2789807)   #91
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Well, they will be at Homestead, but I know nothing else for beyond.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2791167)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Robby Gordon back to Chevrolet. Let me guess he will race Fords in 2012.....
Old 18 Nov 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2792783)   #93
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Honestly, just stick with one manufactuer....

"#38 - Robert Richardson Jr (Daytona & Talladega)/Tony Ranies - Front Row Motorsports (Confirmed)"

Kvapil said in an interview that this team isn't coming back. It'll just be him and Gilliland in the #34 and #37 for 2011. For N'wide, Brendan Gaughn comes back to RWR to be Steve Wallace's teammate again.

Also, here is a team chart for the trucks in 2011: http://jayski.com/cts/2011cts.htm
Old 19 Nov 2010, 07:57 (Ref:2792993)   #94
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Prism is shutting down. Now I am really worried about short fields for next year.

Prism Motorsports to shut down operations: Prism Motorsports, owned by Phil Parsons and Randy Humphrey, that field the #66 Toyota [all the races] and the #55 Toyota [34 races], will shut down operations after the race in Homestead. The team is only running one car, the #66 at Homestead, with Mike Bliss as the driver. Crew chief Zach McGowan and the crew members are looking for oppurtunities in 2011.(11-18-2010)
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2793363)   #95
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Honestly, just stick with one manufactuer....

"#38 - Robert Richardson Jr (Daytona & Talladega)/Tony Ranies - Front Row Motorsports (Confirmed)"

Kvapil said in an interview that this team isn't coming back. It'll just be him and Gilliland in the #34 and #37 for 2011. For N'wide, Brendan Gaughn comes back to RWR to be Steve Wallace's teammate again.

Also, here is a team chart for the trucks in 2011: http://jayski.com/cts/2011cts.htm
Wow, I was wrong. Gaughn is actually going to the truck series, not staying in Nationwide. Michael Annett takes his place at RWR.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2793405)   #96
beachbum
Rookie

beachbum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Prism is shutting down. Now I am really worried about short fields for next year.
Even if the fields aren't short, the trend toward weaker competition is already there. Robert Richardson was mentioned in a previous post. In 2009, he finished 41st in points. This year he is 28th and yet his average finish is worse in 2010 than in 2009. The competition at the sharp end may still be strong, but with many teams using multiple drivers in cars, some teams running partials seasons, and an increase in start-and-parks, the middle and back are much weaker. No wonder NASCAR doesn't want to keep the Sprint Cup drivers out of the series. Without them, no only would the fields be thin, but the racing would look more like ARCA. Trucks would put on a better show (IMHO, they do now)
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2793565)   #97
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I really don't care if there are short fields next year.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2793652)   #98
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree - if there are only 35 good cars, thats plenty...
Old 21 Nov 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2793685)   #99
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Maybe this will end the top 35 rule....I'm all for it then. Like I said, very unlikely for full grids next year, as another point is that Latitude 43 (#26) is in question for next year.

What's up with the #26 team? The future of Latitude 43 Motorsports [#26 Air Guard Ford] remains a mystery for 2011. Despite a long list of financial problems, with several former drivers and crewmen insisting they haven't been paid, a source within the team says they're "in talks" with potential investors and companies about returning for next season. Using seven drivers in 2010 [Said, David Stremme, Jeff Green, Ken Schrader, Bill Elliott, J.J. Yeley, Carpentier], the team posted just one top-10 finish, with Boris Said in Watkins Glen and dropped out of the top 35 in owner points early in the season. No word on who would drive the car if it continues on; as noted above, Patrick Carpentier failed to qualify Friday to end their season two days early (Frontstretch)(11-20-2010)
Old 21 Nov 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2793686)   #100
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Prism Motorsports to shut down operations: Prism Motorsports, owned by Phil Parsons and Randy Humphrey, that field the #66 Toyota [all the races] and the #55 Toyota [34 races], will shut down operations after the race in Homestead. The team is only running one car, the #66 at Homestead, with Mike Bliss as the driver. Crew chief Zach McGowan and the crew members are looking for oppurtunities in 2011.(11-18-2010)
Ok, what gives?

UPDATE: Team owner Randy Humphrey says Prism Motorsports is not closing and are working on their 2011 plans.(11-20-2010)