Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2712136)   #76
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Threats of violence

Oh my, how very NASCAR of you fans

Racing incident for me, he was in front when and if there was a touch, and in the split second and closing speed deal here how on earth can every driver, front or behind in much slow/faster cars get every decision right.

His comments though show immaturity, conceitedness and arrogance

Just what you would expect of a guy who thinks he should be in F1 but isn't!!

ASk Gary Paffett. Oh hang on wait, he is polite, friendly and utterly professional isnt he. And doesnt harp on about how he did this and that!!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2712183)   #77
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
ASk Gary Paffett. Oh hang on wait, he is polite, friendly and utterly professional isnt he. And doesnt harp on about how he did this and that!!
Ok, that's sarcasm, isn't it? (Just listen to his pit radio in Valencia).
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2712201)   #78
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
But the team had told him to do everything to catch back up and take risk's, so can we really blame him for doing so?
Maybe the team owns some of it, but he's behind the wheel. Let's not forget the pass around the Audi in the grass and a slight swerve (may have been regaining control) towards them on the Mulsanne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I think that given his mea culpa statement on his earlier reply during the Speed interview, especially where he clarified that since he had not hit the car he did not know it had gone off when he was past it, we can close the book on this. Maybe he was driving a little aggressively but, in the final judgment, it was his comments that caused most of the consternation and those have been dealt with.
"Anyway, I think I might have said something like, 'I don't care' at the time, but what I was trying to say was that it wasn't my race, I'm not racing them so my care was getting my car back into the lead where we belonged."

This proves my point a couple of pages ago. Whether is he or the team, someone doesn't "get it".

Quote:
One thing that really bothers me is the threats of violence i am seeing from Corvette fans all over the place when he comes to Petit Le Mans later this year, this for me has really put me off the Corvette brand that it attracts these kind of people in swarms.
Seriously, where?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2712206)   #79
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
One thing that really bothers me is the threats of violence i am seeing from Corvette fans all over the place when he comes to Petit Le Mans later this year, this for me has really put me off the Corvette brand that it attracts these kind of people in swarms.
you mean this post full of sarcasm and smiley faces and the "threat" portrayed with yellow smilies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
over taking through the Porsche Curves?? AD took that risk and it worked out for him and Peugeot. wait. no it didn't. AD's risky move only helped another team find an early end as well.
jolly sporting of you, Ant old boy.

for Adam43 on AD's evilness or hatred or whatever?
he is an Englishman driving for a French team. is that evil ?

hopefully, i'll see him at PLM!

here's your MAT with more "conclusions" you can "jump to" in order to trash Corvette any way you can.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2712207)   #80
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Davidson being agressive, certianly, and a little ill timed considering how much faster he was than the Audi. The accident itself is regrettable, but it was a racing accident, AD was no more at fault than Collard was. Just like the comments that Kristen Stewart made in Elle's UK magazind where she used a metaphor that compared the tactics of the paparazzi to witnessing a rape. Regrettable wording(especially to Americans)? Yes, and Kristen has applogized and clarified her comment, and most people said this about her: she could've used a less agressive choice of words, but her point's very valid.

Same thing here-two guys going for the same space. Could Collard have breathed on that straight and let Anthony go? Yes, but AD could've waited, too. The fact that Alex Wurz ran the same lap times but was easier on his car and more careful in traffic makes AD's actions all the more regretable. But it was a racing accident like when TK and Priaux had their scuffle. Tom chose a line, Andy chose a line, and both tried to correct and give each other room and it backfired for both, and Tom and Andy have addmitted as such, that it was a racing accident.

However, Davidson's handling of the accident was a total turn off. I've read and heard some interviews and photos of Kristen Stewart(her again) going off on the paparazzi and tabloid bloggers. She's cursed them out, chewed them out, flipped them off, and made questionable-if-flatout misconstrued comments. But those people deserve to have Miss Stewart give them crap and grief-what goes around, comes around, and at least she'll applogize for mistakes and doesn't come off as a total you know what...

However, AD's comments were quite over the top. I'll agree that some commentator's comments were a little too agressivly worded(like K-Stew's "rape" comment), but their points are very valid.

My verdicts: The incident-pretty much a racing accident. Both could've given a little, even allowing for the conventional etiqutte for road racing-most of the responsibility for a clean pass rests with the overtaking driver.

The aftermath: AD could've handled it better. Doug Fehan had, from what I've heard, some rather choice things to say about Anthony, but he kept it to himself on camera. If AD did the same, or worded his response a little less agressivly, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2712227)   #81
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It always makes me chuckle when a driver gets absolutely slated for making an off-the-cuff comment or displaying a hint of a bad attitude.

Many of the posts in this thread display a much worse attitude than Anthony Davidson supposedy did, not to mention a greater degree of arrogance.

For me Davidson just seemed to misjudge the tone of the interview, which is somewhat understandable as he'd done a quadruple stint which required immense focus.

He later apologised so the fuss should be over as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps we should spend some time ensuring our own behaviour is exemplary before chastising our sportsmen for not being 100% perfect at all times.

Sorry for such an unstructured rant but I don't like it when forums turn into humourless, puritanical bearpits.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2712232)   #82
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
you mean this post full of sarcasm and smiley faces and the "threat" portrayed with yellow smilies?
Im not talking about this forum inperticular, having browsed round sites that cover motorsport and allow comments on articles, there are self confessed Corvetteaphiles coming out with comments threatening to beat him up at Petit or even some wishing he would get cancer and die.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2712237)   #83
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Can't someone end this thread with one of those Hitler videos about how "The Corvette...is in the barrier." "Peugeot engineers, stay in here with me."
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2712246)   #84
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
No! We must destroy and dismantle his character and very being! Hitler's already been mentioned in this thread, we need to go deeper into this!
Hehe, made me remember this, Godwins Law.

Back on topic, must say myself, it is a discussion, but lol, sometimes people get too personal in their points. Saying things essentially like "you've never driven in a sportscar race, you don't know what its like" is just a bit chilidish for me.

I apologise, but geeez. Lets talk about the drivers and the race, not ourselves.

Quote:
Sorry for such an unstructured rant but I don't like it when forums turn into humourless, puritanical bearpits.
Quite.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2712263)   #85
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Can't someone end this thread with one of those Hitler videos about how "The Corvette...is in the barrier." "Peugeot engineers, stay in here with me."
Yes, I'd like to see this too >_>
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2712268)   #86
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I want to see this video. It would be an appropriate end to this thread.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2712284)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Im not talking about this forum inperticular, having browsed round sites that cover motorsport and allow comments on articles, there are self confessed Corvetteaphiles coming out with comments threatening to beat him up at Petit or even some wishing he would get cancer and die.
all seems a bit silly, don't you think?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2712301)   #88
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Super Hans: It always makes me chuckle when a driver gets absolutely slated for making an off-the-cuff comment or displaying a hint of a bad attitude.
Did Davidson say "it's not my fault"?

Ultimately bad attitudes are good for the sport, it helps sell tickets because people want to see Mr. or Ms. Bad Attitude lose. Think about it, Davidson might be the first works sportscar driver in over a decade to display a hint of personality. Next time Davidson races something miraculous and wonderful could happen: he could get booed! Which means people are interested and invested in the race!

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 15 Jun 2010 at 00:51.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 00:41 (Ref:2712302)   #89
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
I want to see this video. It would be an appropriate end to this thread.
here was my favorite, if anyone wants to input their own lines here's your video feed (they've been mostly removed from youtube due to copyright):

http://www.greatmma.com/Hitler-Hates...-MMA-Video.php
Old 15 Jun 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2712304)   #90
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ant didnt do anything wrong yet people are threatening violence and comparing him to hitler?. God forbid you ever watch a BTCC race youll be calling for the series to be disolved.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 01:31 (Ref:2712313)   #91
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Ant didnt do anything wrong....

Yes, he did!

L.P.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2712345)   #92
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Did Davidson say "it's not my fault"?

Ultimately bad attitudes are good for the sport, it helps sell tickets because people want to see Mr. or Ms. Bad Attitude lose. Think about it, Davidson might be the first works sportscar driver in over a decade to display a hint of personality. Next time Davidson races something miraculous and wonderful could happen: he could get booed! Which means people are interested and invested in the race!
There are a lot of things you could accuse Allan McNish of but I really don't think one of them is that he doesn't display a hint of personality.

Franck Montagny is at least as impolitic in interviews sometimes as Davidson was, it is just in French.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 04:29 (Ref:2712352)   #93
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
There are a lot of things you could accuse Allan McNish of but I really don't think one of them is that he doesn't display a hint of personality.
That's true.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2712525)   #94
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Corvette should send Anthony Davidson some video demonstrations on how to pass in a safe manner and how to improve teammate relations.

I call this one Win or Bin. When the officials tell you to give back the lead after wildly swerving into the pit out lane to take the lead, (The guy in the pit thinks this move is OK) you fall back and use the good ol’ NASCAR bump and pass on the last corner. Oh no that want work either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y0tbdpcFc

At 2 Minutes 30 in I call this one, team mates with competitive spirit. The video says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdhlGZntAw

So I hope Ant takes some of this in and put some more good ol’ fashioned contact back in to his passing.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2712540)   #95
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I lost respect for someone over this whole episode. Sadly and probably quite controversially it was whoever runs the Midweek Motorsport twitter feed. They are making themselves out to be media people, reporting news dare I say, yet whoever was pushing the buttons yesterday just went overboard with the AD posts and re-tweets - without the slightest regard for lack of bias, appropriate to a news outlet. If they want to be treated as a bunch of US-car fanboys then so be it.

That my friends was the only unprofessional thing I feel I saw this past few days (aside from Schumacher's driving in the F1 - which of course went unpunished too......)
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2712556)   #96
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I lost respect for someone over this whole episode. Sadly and probably quite controversially it was whoever runs the Midweek Motorsport twitter feed. They are making themselves out to be media people, reporting news dare I say, yet whoever was pushing the buttons yesterday just went overboard with the AD posts and re-tweets - without the slightest regard for lack of bias, appropriate to a news outlet. If they want to be treated as a bunch of US-car fanboys then so be it.

That my friends was the only unprofessional thing I feel I saw this past few days (aside from Schumacher's driving in the F1 - which of course went unpunished too......)
I would not call Midweek Motorsport a news outlet. It is entertainment. If you have a complaint, send it to them. They'll gladly talk to you.

You mention lack of bias, however, it appears that if you take the opposing position from your point of view you are a "US-car fanboy". That's fine with me, cause I are one.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2712563)   #97
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Ant didnt do anything wrong yet people are threatening violence and comparing him to hitler?. God forbid you ever watch a BTCC race youll be calling for the series to be disolved.
You need to re-read the thread.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2712602)   #98
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Bit of a jokey photo from after the race concerning this whole deal...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...oid=5508588715

Of course, this might fuel the "evil" side of the argument.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2712630)   #99
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwCLnXOQ5n0

To be frank, I think too much blame is given on Davidson here. I don't think he is quite blameless, yet it was the Corvette who initiated the contact, and moved over on the Pug. The questionable part, is should a pass be attempted there? I've seen it be successful many times, and Collard being a pro, should be aware of things a bit more I think. When Collard began moving back over, the Pug was already slightly ahead of him.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2712635)   #100
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not the most sensible move, but the 'Vette lost it without any "assistance". Not really Ant's fault.