Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Dec 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2808048)   #76
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My friend sleeps in the back of his VW Transporter all over Europe. He says it's a lot more comfortable than the beds in low cost motels plus he can drink heavily in the evening without having to drive to his bed!
Old 24 Dec 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2808084)   #77
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I got the replies I expected from the regulars on here.
I would just say that I've been competing in many disciplines and also also organising at national and international level for nearly 40 years. The club I am secretary of (Wigton MC) has over 600 members and was MSA Club of the Year in 2005 and Highly Commended this year. All our officials are volunteers. Thus I do have a lot of experience of running and costing events.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2808107)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Well I got the replies I expected from the regulars on here.
So the point of the exercise was?

Old 24 Dec 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2808125)   #79
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Relevent but slightly off topic

Its all club motorsport, all of it, but some organisers see the potential in charging a little (or a lot) extra to make people feel like International superstars which they're happy to do, most people respond to having their ego massaged! I guess its no different to Hotels, restaurants, or your average car showroom.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2808175)   #80
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me, undoubtedly, the best thing about club motor racing is the camaraderie. But that it not to say there are not the "landed gentry" types that look down their nose at anybody who has spent less than £250,000 on their car.

I am reminded of a chap who used to race in FJ (one of the friendliest group I have ever met) and then one day he then went missing. A few months later I saw him at Dijon and he told me he had joined the HGPCA as "they stayed at better class hotels and went to better quality restaurants."

Last edited by compte deGraves; 24 Dec 2010 at 14:37. Reason: typo
Old 24 Dec 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2808186)   #81
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
......... But that it not to say there are not the "landed gentry" types that look down their nose at anybody who has spent less than £250,000 on their car.
slightly related,

The car you see on my avatar is mine and last saturday I hit a curb with it due to snow etc...I hit the curb at a max speed of 15 mph...I have just been told by BMW that in order to repair it, it will cost 4309.97P!!

Merry Christmas...I think I will buy a Jag 220...ive always wanted one and it cant be as expensive as that!!

Happy Christmas all
Cya
Claire
Old 24 Dec 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2808193)   #82
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
slightly related,

The car you see on my avatar is mine and last saturday I hit a curb with it due to snow etc...I hit the curb at a max speed of 15 mph...I have just been told by BMW that in order to repair it, it will cost 4309.97P!!

Merry Christmas...I think I will buy a Jag 220...ive always wanted one and it cant be as expensive as that!!

Happy Christmas all
Cya
Claire
You don't need to take it to a BMW garage Claire, there are other repairers about that don't rip you off.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2808200)   #83
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I am reminded of a chap who used to race in FJ (one of the friendliest group I have ever met) and then one day he then went missing. A few months later I saw him at Dijon and he told me he had joined the HGPCA as "they stayed at better class hotels and went to better quality restaurants."
One of the reasons I was so keen on an half decent motorhome (and what we wanted took some finding, 9 months roughly) was that it has a decent kitchen, proper sized gas hob, a grille, oven, large fridge, freezer, even a small wine cellar etc etc. We can afford to eat very well 'in' if not 'out' and when you go somewhere remote you know you'll be well catered for

as long as I don't dig ito the cellar first!
Old 24 Dec 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2808210)   #84
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
slightly related,

Happy Christmas all
Cya
Claire

Surely it was a pothole that caused the damage, wasn't it? Claim on the local authority ....

Very many years ago I wrote off a BMC Mini by hitting a 6" kerb at about 5 to 10mph. Thick fog and I mistook where I was when trying to follow the kerbing down a hill. Took a left when I should have taken the next left about 20ft further on. The car hit with one wheel (and the sump) and was shortened on one side by about 3 inches. Snapped the casing for the remote gear change as well. Eventually lost all gears except third whilst driving it home in the early hours of the morning, still in thick fog.

These days, with all the hi tech stuff and safety crumple zones, it doesn't take much at all to run up a large bill - presumably 20% for VAT too - even at non-dealer prices.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2808218)   #85
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Surely it was a pothole that caused the damage, wasn't it? Claim on the local authority ....

Very many years ago I wrote off a BMC Mini by hitting a 6" kerb at about 5 to 10mph. Thick fog and I mistook where I was when trying to follow the kerbing down a hill. Took a left when I should have taken the next left about 20ft further on. The car hit with one wheel (and the sump) and was shortened on one side by about 3 inches. Snapped the casing for the remote gear change as well. Eventually lost all gears except third whilst driving it home in the early hours of the morning, still in thick fog.

These days, with all the hi tech stuff and safety crumple zones, it doesn't take much at all to run up a large bill - presumably 20% for VAT too - even at non-dealer prices.
Did a similar thing going to Autosport at the NEC last year. Packed snow obscuring a kerb round a traffic island in the dark on the side road to the hotel - result - undertray, fog lamps etc etc = a bill for £1300. Old man with failing eyesight....or God's way of saying "Don't go to Autosport"! You decide
Old 24 Dec 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2808233)   #86
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
slightly related,

Happy Christmas all
Cya
Claire
We had [another] woman driver do the same with her new Astra,the cost?
new wishbone/track rod/setting up? £237 inc Vat.

No more comments about SC Drivers I take it? If you get a Jag 220,doe's that mean I'll never get to drive it as a SC?

PLEASE.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2809840)   #87
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
May I joind the confused on here w/r to the Coys lists.

1966 Porsche 933 Turbo Gemballa GTR600 ?

2 RS 500s.

I note the second one has two descriptions.

Even allowing for the different colour and mileage the wildly different estimated prices seem very odd.

Some of the descriptions sound wrong or need proof reading. I wonder of the offerings are similar?
Old 1 Jan 2011, 05:52 (Ref:2809852)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some of the descriptions sound wrong or need proof reading. I wonder of the offerings are similar?
Yes, very poorly done- almost as if someone forgot to proof it before submitting to the site. The RS500 low price has a nought missing I reckon, and it's description also appears for the Moonstone car!

Piper x 2. Always like them but with BDA what is the GTT going to be accepted for. No mention of HTP, which probably would require 1600 Xflow?

Someone let me (try to) sit in a G12 once. Such a pretty little thing though.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2809859)   #89
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Some Auction catalogues should be in fiction list
Old 1 Jan 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2809869)   #90
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Autosport Show auction rarely sells anything decent as most who visit are tyre kickers.. I think its mostly dealer stock that has not shifted