Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Jan 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3013319)   #76
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats great news for those going, glad that they have been able to open up those areas again.

As has already been said I certainly appreciate being told the spectating situation before arrival, so please keep the information coming Suze!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3013324)   #77
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure how much more info I'll have to give you before Sunday.... Unless you want live posts during set up on Saturday / advice on how many layers you'll want to wear?!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3013422)   #78
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting that Suze, Druids viewing will do me just fine. And thanks to MSV or whomever for laying on the extra help.

Not long to go now

Simon
Old 18 Jan 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3013461)   #79
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done MSV/ Suze, an improvement, thought we might get beer cans on the track a la James Hunt British GP
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3013690)   #80
nigel159
Rookie

nigel159 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes thanks again all those involved i am more than happy to spectate at Druids/ Southbank this is great news.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3013701)   #81
gas305
Rookie

England
Worthing
gas305 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to say now everyone has calmed down a bit!! Last year me and my young son (8 years old) attended this event and it was fabulous! I really understand that people want to get as close to the cars as possible but we spent the whole day in and around the start line up to clearways and we had the best day and met some really cool people spectating.

As an occassional competitor (not in rallying) i pick and chose my spectating events and would not miss this for the world. I have several friends and their families joining us this year.

My point is..dont let the more thorough approach to this years rally put you off. Im a bit miffed at having to pay this year but i still reckon it will be worth every penny. If it means the competitors and marshalls etc are safer as a result of all these extra measures, then at least the event can go ahead.

Cant wait....
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3013759)   #82
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I guess the enclosed spectator area high above the rally school (behind the wooden fencing) stays off limits?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3013774)   #83
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes Eddy, that's my understanding from what I have seen this afternoon.

On Sunday, live results will appear at:

http://www.mcsrallyresults.co.uk/2012TRSBHS.html
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3013799)   #84
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
So I guess the enclosed spectator area high above the rally school (behind the wooden fencing) stays off limits?
Latest map:

http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/media/5...iewing_map.pdf
Old 18 Jan 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3013821)   #85
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the reasons, and appreciate the efforts of the organising club. But I think the circuit needs a little rethink.

On facebook they said the were charging as they needed more staff this year to deal with the crowds, but then they suggest closing off most of the circuit.

My guess that if there was trouble with spectators crossing live stages, 1/ having to pay to get in may have already detered those people from returning, 2/ if they did return, the threat of having to leave a circuit after paying to get in, carries more weight they being asked to leave a "free" event.

Anyway the rally school uses both rally stages on normal racedays, without restricting access, so hopefully for future events they can re think allowing access to the rallystage.

They are missing a huge marketing opportunity by not allowing spectators to watch the cars using their rally stage.

I did the rally school years ago, but I felt something was missing, and that was a link to actual rallying for the circuit and tarmac used.

now that bit of tarmac has a history and the pedigree that it has been used for a real life rally.

Surely allowing spectators to watch a real rally on their rally stage, is the best piece of marketing ever for their own rally school?

Trouble is we are all used to seeing packs of cars go round the circuit, it was difficult to watch the cars race through the centre pits, so for me, the thing that made the day special was watching the cars go through the outer paddock and use the rally stage.

Glad there is now access to Druids, last year the infield was closed, maybe they will rethink that.

Hope the circuit has a rethink as to how to allow spectators to view their rallystage for future events, even if its not possible for 2012, as this is what we would like to watch, and all photos were taken last year from the safety of the designated spectator areas and absolutely no venturing on or near any live stages.

Old 19 Jan 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3013942)   #86
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post

Anyway the rally school uses both rally stages on normal racedays, without restricting access, so hopefully for future events they can re think allowing access to the rallystage.
At the risk of repeating myself, areas that can be used to spectate or areas that can be accessed on a normal raceday have no bearing at all on what can be used for this event (particularly as the outer paddock is used competitively for the stage event which is one of the big differences compared to a race meeting). This is a completely different event, using different areas of the Brands Hatch venue, including the "traditional" circuit etc - it just happens to be held at a race circuit.

Stephen, I fully appreciate you may have taken your photos from a designated area, but that is where you fall into the majority and those were not the people who caused issues (thank you!).

If people wants what is used on a "normal raceday" please do not be concerned when cars come the "wrong way" up Paddock!

For somewhere to watch SS1 / SS2, the Desire Wilson stand or banking opposite pits could be a good move - last year a number of cars struggled on the early stages to negotiate the chicanes and hairpin in the paddock.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3014100)   #87
Suze
Veteran

England
Thought the below may be of interest, is regarding access to the "normal" rally stage:

Quote:
MSV (and us to a lesser extent) are not happy that the area can be accessed safely. The usual pedestrian route past 'Hailwoods' runs very close to the stage at the point where it goes through the gate at the end of the paddock and is not safe. Walking down through the trees, as some people did last year, is not an option MSV are prepared to allow. In addition, apart from the smallish platform/viewing area built specially for viewing the rally school, there aren't really any other 'safe' areas to view. It's not an ideal solution but we have to work within the parameters given to us.
Tony Clements,
Clerk of the Course.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3014158)   #88
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hold on. Looking at the spectaing maps car park facilities. Does that mean you can't park on the tarmac behind Desire Wilson/Paddock Hill and the shops?

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 19 Jan 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3014168)   #89
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
Hold on. Looking at the spectaing maps car park facilities. Does that mean you can't park on the tarmac behind Desire Wilson/Paddock Hill and the shops?
That's because it's being used as the service area
Old 19 Jan 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3014174)   #90
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
That's because it's being used as the service area
Why's that the service area? Because the paddock and pit lane are part of the stages It's not like a race meeting Hurtling at speed the "wrong" way down the pitlane is an interesting experience
Old 19 Jan 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3014198)   #91
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, this means that my friends and I are staying at home.
I can't be bothered to leave at 3 in the morning, doing a 500 mile round trip, without seeing rally cars in their natural habitat (ie narrow, slippy roads).
A real shame, because CMC are doing a great job with their event and I thank them for that.
I see, as a marshal, enough cars on the circuit, so I do not need to see rally cars on a big wide track when I know there is that wonderful part (rally school) you can't get to.
If the rally was only using the racetrack, that would be another story.

I wish everyone a great day on Sunday and hope to be back next year.
Anyhow, I'm going to protest in my own little way in not volunteering for the first MSVR event in March and doing a great rally not too far away instead, a rally with over 160 cars taking part.
There!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3014253)   #92
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think you're spoilt for choice with your rallying options Eddy

Shame you're not coming over but no doubt I'll see you at Brands at some point during the year!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3014262)   #93
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn, I can't go then :/

Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3014481)   #94
Suze
Veteran

England
adam46 - if your wish to park not in the main car park is due to the fact you need disabled access which I think you eluded to in another post, can I suggest you contact Brands directly - I'm afraid I don't know the disabled parking arrangements but they will be best to advise.

Just a quick heads up - as already posted, the South Bank and Druids will be open. In the programme it shows that they will be shut, but this is simply because the programme went to print before MSV announced they were happy for the South Bank and Druids would be open.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3014486)   #95
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For blue badge holders:

http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/calenda...ord-rally.aspx
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3014496)   #96
Suze
Veteran

England
Thanks Alan
Old 20 Jan 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3014518)   #97
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I wont be going either now. I was annoyed I missed it last year and though charging for this years event was a little disappointing, with no winter rallycross at Lydden and so little rallying in the south I was still looking forward to it. That is until I find out I wont be able to see the bits I want to see, ie the actual rally section.If the there was no charge or maybe a £5 charge I would probably go for a couple of hours or so but for £13 I feel I could only justify that by being there most of the day but with such limited viewing its really not worth it.

For the organisers and drivers I hope its a success again, for MSV I hope they try and do things differently next year. If your going to hold a rally and charge people to come and watch then let them actually be able to watch the cars off road as they show on their website. It seems to me they are almost treating spectators as a hindrence and would be happier not to have any of us there at all.

Me? Having had my interest in oval racing re-ignited recently, I like a few others will save my money and use it at 1 or 2 of the good meetings that are on at Wimbledon over the next few weeks, though yes only having one part of the stadium open is annoying but at least I still get to see whats it says on the ticket.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3014522)   #98
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
for MSV I hope they try and do things differently next year. If your going to hold a rally and charge people to come and watch then let them actually be able to watch the cars off road as they show on their website. It seems to me they are almost treating spectators as a hindrence and would be happier not to have any of us there at all.
I think this is all "new event syndrome" - last year MSV were caught out by how many people turned up and the staff that were there were stretched very thinly (leading to people getting where they shouldn't). This year they seem to have gone to the opposite end of the scale and tightened up on everything (and I can understand why - better safe than sorry). Hopefully next year they'll have a plan that's somewhere in between that keeps most people happy.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3014541)   #99
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
Ahh thanks Alan that's good news because I was annoyed I couldn't go as I would love to see the cars. In particular the Ferrari 308!

I would need disabled access too now because it seems I have broken one of the smaller bones in my foot and need a crutch to walk around!

Old 20 Jan 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3014764)   #100
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think this is all "new event syndrome" - last year MSV were caught out by how many people turned up and the staff that were there were stretched very thinly (leading to people getting where they shouldn't). This year they seem to have gone to the opposite end of the scale and tightened up on everything (and I can understand why - better safe than sorry). Hopefully next year they'll have a plan that's somewhere in between that keeps most people happy.
The thing is MSV are meant to be in the business of professional motorsport entertainment. It really isn't that hard to get this sort of thing right - if you think its hard to manage spectators at a circuit actually built for spectating have you ever tried to manage them on something like the Jim Clark or a WRC round?

This could become an awesome mid-Winter event if developed properly. Let's face it there is nothing else going on in the UK this time of year.