Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2011, 05:01 (Ref:2872716)   #76
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wow.
They could nearly use it as an Aussie racing car.
Can i see the rear window still intact ?
Old 2 May 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2872719)   #77
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Wow.
They could nearly use it as an Aussie racing car.
Can i see the rear window still intact ?
wouldn't have a clue from that angle, but yes it was still intact
Old 2 May 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2872723)   #78
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very scary crash indeed , Im glad both Karl and Steve are relatively unhurt.

On the good side well done Brad Jones racing and Jason Bright and Jason Bargwanna for bouncing back and finally getting the teams first ever win

As a local Im pretty happy with that result
Old 2 May 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2872779)   #79
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And a full waved yellow at 11 would be almost useless since Mr Owen was among the last cars off the grid... so they would be waving flags at the chase cars
Still valid to warn them of a problem ahead but a good Emergency Controller would've called the stalled car on the Emergency network radio along the lines of "Race Start,............Stalled car drivers right".

At least that's how it works at Victorian tracks at most events using chase cars and multiple radio channels.
Old 2 May 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2872782)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Still valid to warn them of a problem ahead but a good Emergency Controller would've called the stalled car on the Emergency network radio along the lines of "Race Start,............Stalled car drivers right".

At least that's how it works at Victorian tracks at most events using chase cars and multiple radio channels.
Procedurally you are of course right, but the effect would be small. The '5 minute board' person was showing what we presume to be a 'stalled car' sign, but it seems to have made no difference to the pace of anyone in the field...
Old 2 May 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2872784)   #81
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mr Crompton just suggested on the coverage that BJR have a caged shell in their shed... wonder if its a WP-made unit, or a BJR jobbie?
Mr K.Jones is quoted in MeN as saying the original Fair Dinkum Sheds chassis (the current one was apparently the ex-Bright car from early 2010), will be pressed back into service. I thought Mr Oaklands had purchased it?
Old 2 May 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2872791)   #82
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Procedurally you are of course right, but the effect would be small. The '5 minute board' person was showing what we presume to be a 'stalled car' sign, but it seems to have made no difference to the pace of anyone in the field...
Dare I say.... a similar reaction as generally shown to a (waved) yellow flag [see previous discussions on this subject]
Old 2 May 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2872805)   #83
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hey just back from trip to Perth

1 important question, why is it called Wannaroo?

Some observations, i knew it was hilly, but it was much hillier than i imagined

The racing was a little bit average compared to recent races, Race 2 being the most interesting with some different strategies tried, but by race 3 it was clear the idea strategy

Giz was awesome carving through the field, unfortunately most of his passes coming up where we couldnt spectate (anyone know why that is)

getiing into and out of track was amazingly easy, awesome job by WASCC in having people directing traffic on the way out, may tracks i have been to could learn from this.

Paul morris, surely the book should be thrown at him, what he did was blantantly delibrate and pre-mediatted, still maybe pearcat should have stitched him up while he had the chance, maybe time for a "japanese inspection" for Paul, especially come a special day in October.

Great job by the firies, big explosion, question over ethanol, is it more or less flammable (i had always assumed less)

After a near miss at the previous v8 round in 2009 it was good to see some effort was made to ensure that wouldnt happen again.

I like AP was wondering what happened to all the yellow flags along the starting line when a car stalled, do we just not have them in v8s (although i am sure i have seen them) or do they only occur when there is enough flaggies to do the job?

great even though, i would like to go back
Old 2 May 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2872839)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Whispers out of WA suggest that the results of both the main series, and the development series are not yet as final as we may think they are.

The story goes that there is currently an investigation underway via CAMS and the IPO regarding some unsportsman-like behaviour that allegedly occured in the Fujitsu series across the weekend.

It seems that a couple of teams have apparently been tarred with the collusion brush, being identified in some quarters as allegedly duplicitly participating in activities that fall under the category of Bringing The Sport Into Disrepute.

As ever, there are wild speculations about possible penalties for such activities, if proven, including fines, all the way to the removal of both teams and drivers from the main series, and the development series, and loss of all 2011 championship points

Presuming any of this actually happened
Old 2 May 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2872878)   #85
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
1 important question, why is it called Wannaroo?
The circuit is in the suburb of Wanneroo and was known as Wanneroo Park until the early 90s. Recall that Perth car dealer Alf Barbagallo paid for some work to the circuit and in turn the circuit was renamed in his honour. It will always be Wanneroo in my book, there are some things money should not be able to buy IMO.
Old 2 May 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2872887)   #86
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
see thats what i thought too Anthony, except its not in the suburb/town of wanneroo.

there are a number of suburbs in between (actually about 13kms)

and there website lists it as "NEERABUP"

maybe its an old name for the area and development has seen a seperation

edit it maybe because it was in the shire(now city) of wanneroo
Old 2 May 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2873214)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
The circuit is in the suburb of Wanneroo and was known as Wanneroo Park until the early 90s. Recall that Perth car dealer Alf Barbagallo paid for some work to the circuit and in turn the circuit was renamed in his honour. It will always be Wanneroo in my book, there are some things money should not be able to buy IMO.
More History
Old 2 May 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2873231)   #88
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't been to Wanneroo since 2005 but from memory the housing estates between Wanneroo itself and the track are fairly recent so perhaps it was named after the nearest town at the time the track was built.

Bit like at one stage Calder Park was called Keilor International Raceway but is several kilometres from Keilor but within the old City of Keilor council boundary.
Old 2 May 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2873237)   #89
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Drivers don't slow down for Yellow Flags (as in Jnr at the AGP) so why expect them to slow down for a stalled car warning board

Mind you once the red light goes out the drivers aren't looking at the starters stand any longer anyway, The board is more useful prior to the red light coming on but then the start should be aborted anyway.
Old 3 May 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2873326)   #90
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
I haven't been to Wanneroo since 2005 but from memory the housing estates between Wanneroo itself and the track are fairly recent so perhaps it was named after the nearest town at the time the track was built.

Bit like at one stage Calder Park was called Keilor International Raceway but is several kilometres from Keilor but within the old City of Keilor council boundary.
Wanneroo was the bush when the circuit was established in the late
60s with the village that was Wanneroo township the nearest civilisation. First meeting 1969.

Its still Wanneroo to me BUT Alf Barbagallo was there for WA motorsport when it needed him. Alfs claim to fame as a racer was in SuperMods then Sprintcars on Claremont Speedway. I dont have a problem with the circuit being called Barbagallo.
Old 3 May 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2873360)   #91
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

'New' Fair Dinkum Sheds shell in build...
Old 3 May 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2873440)   #92
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

I would imagine that this would make Mr Reindler unlikely to participate at Winton

Here's hoping the burns heal sooner... and with less distress... than expected..
Old 3 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2873472)   #93
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whispers out of WA suggest that the results of both the main series, and the development series are not yet as final as we may think they are.

The story goes that there is currently an investigation underway via CAMS and the IPO regarding some unsportsman-like behaviour that allegedly occured in the Fujitsu series across the weekend.

It seems that a couple of teams have apparently been tarred with the collusion brush, being identified in some quarters as allegedly duplicitly participating in activities that fall under the category of Bringing The Sport Into Disrepute.

As ever, there are wild speculations about possible penalties for such activities, if proven, including fines, all the way to the removal of both teams and drivers from the main series, and the development series, and loss of all 2011 championship points

Presuming any of this actually happened
Anymore news on this? Nothing in the press... Is it more wishful thinking of a few rivals?
Old 4 May 2011, 03:49 (Ref:2873826)   #94
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would this concern the team that Roland now has a fairly major hand in running been seen to be providing alleged tactical assistance to a black car run by the team Roland owns?

It's a pretty sad day if this is indeed true.

I hope Dave Ellis has a serious word to both entities about sportmanship, and perhaps to the drivers too.

A little bit concerning when an entity with a bottomless pit tempts the fate of an entity whose driver perhaps doesn't have anywhere near the depth of pockets, or the long arms to boot.
Old 4 May 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2873893)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

That the shell is on the back of a truck, presumably on its way to Logan City Smash Repairs, suggests the team think its salvageable

In time for Winton?
Old 4 May 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2873976)   #96
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Is this WP#03 brought back to life?

If so, what chassis is the Fujistsu team of Mr Oaklands using?
Old 5 May 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2874477)   #97
Simonfield
Rookie

England
Haverhill, Suffolk, UK
Simonfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Is it a New chassis, or just a spare to be used as a replacement, and if it is brand new, was it always destined for Karl or one of the others?
Old 5 May 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2874500)   #98
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its WP03.. Formerly a race car, gutted and rebuilt, repainted, destined for sale, but pressed into service to replace WP05...

BJR is likely to buy a new spare shell at some point, and will also likely determine that WP05 is fixable.. And it shall be fixed for likely resale..

Did Mr Oaklands' $$ change hands? The ex-Russell VZ Mr Oaklands bought from BJR is still for sale.. Several price drops.. Maybe they didnt have the $$ in place just yet
Old 5 May 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2874560)   #99
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not clear in the photo above but it looks like there is scant structural protection for the fuel cell hanging in the breeze below a high-ish bumper level frame - no wonder we saw the result on the weekend. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 5 May 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2874650)   #100
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
It's not clear in the photo above but it looks like there is scant structural protection for the fuel cell hanging in the breeze below a high-ish bumper level frame - no wonder we saw the result on the weekend. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
The rules doesn't allow the bar work to extend past the rear most suspension point IIRC so yeah not much protection... But I doubt the bars going a extra couple of feet would changed much last weekend in my opinion..

Last edited by St00ge; 5 May 2011 at 15:20.