Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Oct 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3160198)   #76
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think the mushrooming costs are going to have to be curbed for the entire grid. The dizzy teams maybe the first to fall but the bigger racing conglomerates will ultimately be dragged down too when the cycle is over. Handing out crutches to the dizzy teams just postpones things.

Mosely is correct. Todt needs to shelve his democratic principles and force upon the teams a budget restriction regime with serious prohibitions on creative accounting practices. Give FIA duly delegated inspectors broad powers to inspect books randomly and without warning.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3160346)   #77
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst you want to stop short of customer cars, I think teams should be allowed to have more meaningful technical partnerships. Perhaps the bottom 3 teams should be allowed to buy tubs and then develop their own aero and mechanical package. Help them spend what money they have on a known quality tub and develop it i the direction of their technical partner
Old 30 Oct 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3160363)   #78
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People seem to forget that when the new teams were first admitted to the championship there were rules about tight budget restrictions in place, they were able to buy customer cars and so on. Then after being admitted the other F1 teams threw a tanty and so most of that was reversed.

The whole itea of those rule changes was to make it possible for low budget teams to come into F1 and compete. They came, got screwed over and are now doing the best they can with what they have.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3160388)   #79
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
People seem to forget that when the new teams were first admitted to the championship there were rules about tight budget restrictions in place, they were able to buy customer cars and so on. Then after being admitted the other F1 teams threw a tanty and so most of that was reversed.

The whole itea of those rule changes was to make it possible for low budget teams to come into F1 and compete. They came, got screwed over and are now doing the best they can with what they have.
The whole idea of letting pikey teams into F1 was flawed. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motorsports, so if you can't afford it, don't try. I think that the 3 new teams have proven that the idea is flawed, and should just be allowed to die by introducing a huge entrance fee. Eight or nine real teams competing is all we have at the moment. The rest are just getting in the way. New teams should only be allowed in if they can prove that they aren't pikey Branson style teams, with a total budget roughly equal to Ferrari's stationery budget.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3160392)   #80
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schead View Post
with a total budget roughly equal to Ferrari's stationery budget.
Say it isn't so. Ferrari have a budget for not moving?

Oh sorry, *stationery* rather than stationary. My mistake!
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:32 (Ref:3160402)   #81
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The whole idea of letting pikey teams into F1 was flawed. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motorsports, so if you can't afford it, don't try. I think that the 3 new teams have proven that the idea is flawed, and should just be allowed to die by introducing a huge entrance fee. Eight or nine real teams competing is all we have at the moment. The rest are just getting in the way. New teams should only be allowed in if they can prove that they aren't pikey Branson style teams, with a total budget roughly equal to Ferrari's stationery budget.
Even with a huge budget; Toyota style; the new entrants have their hands tied behind their backs. The existing team value guarantee clause?
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3160412)   #82
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Even with a huge budget; Toyota style; the new entrants have their hands tied behind their backs. The existing team value guarantee clause?
Err, Toyota scored 278.5 points, which is 278.5 points more than any of the 3 Mosley teams. They scored 13 podiums, which is 13 more than the Mosley teams. They also scored 3 poles and 3 fastest laps, which is 3 more poles and fastest laps than the Mosley teams. In fact, in their first year of competition, when points were scored for only the top 6 places, Toyota scored 2 points, which is 2 more points than the pikey teams have managed in 3 years when points are awarded to the top 10.

Toyota may not have achieved what they should have, but at least they did achieve!! The pikey teams only turn up to slow other drivers. It isn't as if they even provide seats for up and coming drivers. They provide seats for drivers with cash. Caterham started life with good intentions, giving Jarno and Heikki seats, but since they canned Jarno for a Russian pay driver, and now look likely to can the Russian pay driver and Heikki because of not enough cash, they are just like Smiley Branson's team.

There is no reason whatsoever for Caterham, Marrussia, or HRT to exist. Personally, I would like to see all 3 bugger off to Formula Ford.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3160416)   #83
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Err, Toyota scored 278.5 points, which is 278.5 points more than any of the 3 Mosley teams. They scored 13 podiums, which is 13 more than the Mosley teams. They also scored 3 poles and 3 fastest laps, which is 3 more poles and fastest laps than the Mosley teams. In fact, in their first year of competition, when points were scored for only the top 6 places, Toyota scored 2 points, which is 2 more points than the pikey teams have managed in 3 years when points are awarded to the top 10.

Toyota may not have achieved what they should have, but at least they did achieve!! The pikey teams only turn up to slow other drivers. It isn't as if they even provide seats for up and coming drivers. They provide seats for drivers with cash. Caterham started life with good intentions, giving Jarno and Heikki seats, but since they canned Jarno for a Russian pay driver, and now look likely to can the Russian pay driver and Heikki because of not enough cash, they are just like Smiley Branson's team.

There is no reason whatsoever for Caterham, Marrussia, or HRT to exist. Personally, I would like to see all 3 bugger off to Formula Ford.
My point was that Toyota struggled with an unlimited budget.
The new teams can't be expected to perform miracles on limited resources, they do provide a valuable depth to the field though.
Should they be protected through resource restriction agreements? No ways!
Old 31 Oct 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3160575)   #84
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The pikey teams only turn up to slow other drivers. It isn't as if they even provide seats for up and coming drivers. They provide seats for drivers with cash. Caterham started life with good intentions, giving Jarno and Heikki seats, but since they canned Jarno for a Russian pay driver, and now look likely to can the Russian pay driver and Heikki because of not enough cash, they are just like Smiley Branson's team.

Why do you have to use racist language to make your point?

Pathetic and offensive to everyone involved in those teams. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3160767)   #85
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Why do you have to use racist language to make your point?

Pathetic and offensive to everyone involved in those teams. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Racist language???? I am presuming by your location that you are a student. Don't worry son, the sanctimonious imagining of racism everywhere will disappear when you grow up. I used to go to Essex uni too.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3160770)   #86
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's move on...
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3160774)   #87
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SChead - You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the new teams. Personally I think they are great - F1 needs small teams, it is part of the DNA of the sport, for every Red Bull or McLaren there is always a Ligier, Larrousse, Minardi, Forti or Eurobrun.

Oh and Flavio has many years on you by the way.

Caterham I think is a very well placed team, the way TF uses it to promote his othe business interests is very clever. I think they will be around for quite some time. Can they get to the front of the grid? I don't think so until a stronger or enforced RRA is introduced. But does Caterham need to challenge Red Bull? No.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3160787)   #88
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, relax guys !
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3160791)   #89
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
SChead - You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the new teams. Personally I think they are great - F1 needs small teams, it is part of the DNA of the sport, for every Red Bull or McLaren there is always a Ligier, Larrousse, Minardi, Forti or Eurobrun.

Caterham I think is a very well placed team, the way TF uses it to promote his othe business interests is very clever. I think they will be around for quite some time. Can they get to the front of the grid? I don't think so until a stronger or enforced RRA is introduced. But does Caterham need to challenge Red Bull? No.
The RRA will just further disadvantage new entrants ....
Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3160804)   #90
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post

All of the bolded teams scored well within the top 8 in their first 3 seasons. Eurobrun was also a crap team. They still did better than the pikey Mosley teams though. These teams are more like Andrea Moda and Mastercard Lola. The fact that the likes of Eurobrun, Pacific and Simtek achieved more than any of them in less time, despite being laughable says it all.

The likes of Andrea Moda didn't deserve to be in F1, just like Marussia et al don't these days.

Still don't understand the "racist language" thing. After checking out Flavio's profile, I do understand why he wants to defend these teams though. Knowing that his boss is on the verge of bankruptcy obviously means that he will be likely need to approach the pikey Mosley teams for a job. This doesn't mean that they deserve to be in F1.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3160837)   #91
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The 'New' teams are performing way better than the likes of Minardi, etc ever did. STR are performing way better than Minardi ever did, and they aren't a huge step ahead of Caterham.

They may not be scoring points, but they aren't getting lapped three or four times during a race as was the case with Minardi, etc, when they weren't lucking into the odd point or two due to vastly inferior reliability of F1 cars in general, at that time.

As said previously, Minardi also did not score any points during their first three seasons.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3160938)   #92
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As said previously, Minardi also did not score any points during their first three seasons.[/QUOTE]

But Minardi finished 8th in one race of their 'First' season, admittedly because others retired... These three bottom teams also rely on others not finishing and they are only racing amongst themselves for the honour of being the best of the rest .

As said before F1 only scored down to 6th place back in the day no comparisons can be drawn with Minardi.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3160950)   #93
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Still don't understand the "racist language" thing. After checking out Flavio's profile, I do understand why he wants to defend these teams though. Knowing that his boss is on the verge of bankruptcy obviously means that he will be likely need to approach the pikey Mosley teams for a job. This doesn't mean that they deserve to be in F1.
HA HA HA. You've made my day.

First I'm a student, now I'm an F1 team member? I wish I were either You should change your screen name to Inspector Clouseau.

Anyway, the three teams you seem to be against so vociferously don't appear to be leaving, play an important part in driver and engineer development and most people will think that on balance that's a good thing.

I've no idea what you read at Essex but I bet it wasn't Politics.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3160988)   #94
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From a very, very wide and realistic perspective, nobody deserves to be in F1. It's a sport (and a business). If a team wants to enter, there are set criteria and if they fulfil those criteria *whether they have a race winning car or not* then they can enter if a space is available.

As I have previously written, the "agreement" between the teams and the CRH is too heavily weighted towards the grandee teams - those who feel, rightly or wrongly, that they are in some way more deserving of the money than others. EJ summed it up nicely all those years ago with his description of "The Piranha Club".

So far as I am concerned, if the teams and the CRH adopted a more pragmatic approach and allowed a small but larger fraction of the income of F1 to drip down to the smaller teams whether they scored points or not we'd have a far more healthy championship down the back of the grid.

But they won't, so we are where we are.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3161031)   #95
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Every Team on the grid now deserves to be there. Yeah, even HRT and Marussia.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3161058)   #96
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's an unfair world...
Old 1 Nov 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3161061)   #97
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It's an unfair world...
And it's getting unfairer by the minute.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3161095)   #98
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
HA HA HA. You've made my day.

Anyway, the three teams you seem to be against so vociferously don't appear to be leaving, play an important part in driver and engineer development and most people will think that on balance that's a good thing.
Where is the important contribution to driver and engineer development at Caherham, both drivers are established drivers both engineers are veterans of many teams including Toyota and 90% of the rest of the team are all seasoned pro's
And then there's Gascoyne hes been around the block a few times

Or did you mean the development of the team owners and CEO admitted they are rookies
Old 1 Nov 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3161096)   #99
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
both engineers are veterans of many teams
Caterham only has two engineers?!! If so, they're doing a mighty fine job.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3161114)   #100
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Caterham only has two engineers?!! If so, they're doing a mighty fine job.
I stand corrected 'Race engineers'

And they are doing a mighty fine job given what they have to work with