Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3429005)   #76
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why risk JB when you could hire another champion who's probably faster anyway and on form?
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3429114)   #77
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Why risk JB when you could hire another champion who's probably faster anyway and on form?
Because when JB is on form, nobody can touch him. However, I do get your point, as that happens rarely. But there are lots of for/against reasons for both drivers. Time will tell...
Old 1 Jul 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3429126)   #78
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said for a while JB's future may be in a McLaren Le Mans effort. I still think he'll get one year with Honda power then be moved to the GTE project.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3429143)   #79
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Because when JB is on form, nobody can touch him.
Interesting thought. I'm not so sure Jenson is untouchable when guys like Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen are on form.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3429146)   #80
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Interesting thought. I'm not so sure Jenson is untouchable when guys like Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen are on form.
Surely you've watched F1 for long enough to see those days where JB just cleans out the field...

...but then again, you also would've the bad days...
Old 1 Jul 2014, 20:44 (Ref:3429177)   #81
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I've said for a while JB's future may be in a McLaren Le Mans effort. I still think he'll get one year with Honda power then be moved to the GTE project.
I'm not sure Jenson would like that, particularly GTE over P1.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111989
But as he does say in the article, he wants to race, so once F1 is over with he will go elsewhere and sportcars is the next best alternative (some would say a better alternative and still others would say the only alternative).
Old 1 Jul 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3429180)   #82
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I'm not sure Jenson would like that, particularly GTE over P1.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111989
But as he does say in the article, he wants to race, so once F1 is over with he will go elsewhere and sportcars is the next best alternative (some would say a better alternative and still others would say the only alternative).
I read that article at the time and wasn't convinced. I don't see him going into TV or management, nor going into triathlon more seriously. I also don't see him leaving F1 yet.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3429190)   #83
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He could always do what Webber has done and race elsewhere whilst doing a bit of F1 tv work for BBC/Sky
Old 1 Jul 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3429193)   #84
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Button will likely retire from m/sport not long after he finishes F1. I don't see him settling down.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3429255)   #85
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
...but then again, you also would've the bad days...
Old 2 Jul 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3429256)   #86
Articus
Veteran

Mclaren and Honda are rumoured to be collobarating on Le Mans prototype. So he could be asked to lead that program if Mclaren Honda decide to go through with it. He could do a really good job elsewhere.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3429350)   #87
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Mclaren and Honda are rumoured to be collobarating on Le Mans prototype. So he could be asked to lead that program if Mclaren Honda decide to go through with it. He could do a really good job elsewhere.
Never heard of these rumours. Any source?
Old 3 Jul 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3429928)   #88
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is Whitmarsh still an active employee at Mclaren? i would have though his employment was a formality while his lawyers worked to secure what i would imagine is a sizable severance package.
No chillibowl, he isn't. As I've said before, Whitmarsh has not been at Woking since Boullier walked in. And from Silverstone, Eric Boullier confirmed so saying it felt strange being at McLaren and Whitmarsh not being there since his appointment. Boullier also said that the McLaren / Whitmarsh issue remains unresolved, and that the parties have still not agreed to a severance package. Although EB still communicates with MW on a regular basis as they are friends.
Old 3 Jul 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3429941)   #89
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thats what i thought.

i wonder what they talk about...if its about team stuff then i can only imagine that strengthens whatever case MW's (or his lawyer) is making about the size of his severance package.

anyways would like to see him free to move on and working for one of the smaller/new teams and for the health of the sport it would be good that the smaller teams have a respected and clear thinking advocate negotiating for a lower cost formula.
Old 3 Jul 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3429952)   #90
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Jenson put on notice by Ron Dennis?

Dennis: "In some ways you say 'Great, we made a great choice with Kevin', and in other ways you say 'Come on Jenson, you are a world champion and absolutely one thing you can do on a consistent basis - and you should be doing it - is beating your team-mate'."
Jenson hits back at Ron Dennis.

Button: "I think Ron is practicing to be a motivational speaker maybe."

"We all need to work harder as a team. I don't think we should be pointing the finger at any individual."

Old 3 Jul 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3429970)   #91
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Button: "I think Ron is practicing to be a motivational speaker maybe."
Keep the man in F1 just for his banter

...and no, I'm not talking about Ron...
Old 4 Jul 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3430184)   #92
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Jacques Villeneuve been tipped to make a comeback this year?
Old 4 Jul 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3430194)   #93
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably but we've got a filter that deletes any posts that say so.

Old 4 Jul 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3430202)   #94
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Probably but we've got a filter that deletes any posts that say so.

Maybe not 2015, but he could be in with a shout of taking Kimi's seat...
Old 4 Jul 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3430206)   #95
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I think even I'm in front of him in the queue for that seat.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3430225)   #96
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I think even I'm in front of him in the queue for that seat.
To be fair to Jacques, he's a WDC, although with hindsight nobody knows how...
Old 4 Jul 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3430237)   #97
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ‘elephant in the room’ in the McLaren driver debate is the car. Nobody seems ready, willing or able to admit that it’s a shed – as were the last two. Ron would do better concentrating on giving his drivers a better tool to do the job. When Lewis and JB were there together, Lew was always a tenth or two quicker, but that would have been the case whoever was in the other car – he’s the quickest man out there, period.

In terms of results over that time, there was just a fag paper between them, and I don’t believe LH would have improved substantially on JB’s results these last two years had he still been there. As for returning, does anyone seriously believe either Lewis or Alonso is keen to get back into a McLaren right now? Lewis currently has the best car on the grid (and is struggling to win the WDC even in that...)

Obviously, Jenson is heading into the twilight of his F1 career. But where ex-champs and rookie teammates are concerned, he’s doing a helluva lot better job than Vettel, for a start. Ron is obviously frustrated – and probably a tad embarrassed – by the lack of progress since his takeover. But JB has endeared himself to the team for any number of good, sound reasons these last few years, and singling him out alone for criticism is unfair, unproductive and unnecessary.

Last edited by sparkione; 4 Jul 2014 at 11:06.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3430244)   #98
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine is a huge factor. Due to homologation, it's unlikely Renault and Ferrari can catch Mercedes up. Honda is the wildcard. They deliberately held back a year to not get caught out with any loopholes that other manufacturers, in this case Mercedes, may have discovered. As such, a McLaren Honda is probably the best shot anyone has to breaking the Mercedes stranglehold next season. Thats why going back will appeal to Alonso. They are also much further on in their restructuring than Ferrari too, so if Alonso wants to get another title while he's at his peak now, McLaren is probably the best option
Old 4 Jul 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3430262)   #99
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
As for returning, does anyone seriously believe either Lewis or Alonso is keen to get back into a McLaren right now?
I take it you're probably unaware of the circumstances in which Lewis left McLaren to join Mercedes AMG. FYI, Lewis left the McLaren team and a car that was pretty competitive, with 4 wins, 7 poles and 7 podiums for Lewis alone in 2012, to join a team that was not competitive; Mercedes AMG - at which time had a combined drivers result of just 1 win and 1 pole for 2012.

Things do change. Timing is key.

Then again, if you believe the ill informed on here, who on a regular basis likes to post speculative fiction, Lewis left McLaren for the "big bucks". Even though we had his former team principle, and his then new team principle say otherwise at the time.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3430288)   #100
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Didn't Hamilton say he joined Merc for a challenge - because Rosberg is certainly that!