Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jul 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3660123)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Obviously not. HSCC run their races but think they still do a lot of the series management themselves...

Guess HSCC website will be where the entry list eventually surfaces!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3660150)   #77
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...ry%20List.pdf/
Old 22 Jul 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3660155)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks ascar, that looks like the same Masters entry list we got a few posts ago. We still need SuperTouring and Pre '63!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3660171)   #79
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i392kge2u...ional.pdf?dl=0

Assuming I can get the technology to work this should be the pre 63
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3660177)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It works if you've got Dropbox! I'll see if can save the PDF on laptop and attach....
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3660179)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hopefully....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TTPre63EntryListSilverstoneProvisional.pdf (166.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3660180)   #82
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bow to your superior grasp of technology!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3660181)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
To be honest when it comes to racing, but specifically historic racing, I always take the entry list with a large pinch of salt. I think due to the fact that it tends to be enthusiasts or gentlemen drivers that are behind the wheel and are bankrolling the outings, its always a bit hit and miss as to what actually turns up.

I was gutted a few years ago when a BMW was down on the entry list and I went all the way to Brands only to actually turn up and the car was a no-show, disappointing, but given the nature of the racing and how its funded, not entirely unexpected.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3660182)   #84
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
All too complicated for me . I shall just stick to not !!! Reading final instructions and just get a *******ing . Normall
Old 22 Jul 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3660218)   #85
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I decided a few years go that for the more esoteric races - Group C for example - the proposed entry list was mainly a wish list partly based on promises and predictions and a small hard core of people likely to turn up so long as they did not break anything in pre-event testing.

In itself that is not unreasonable given the cars are no longer funded by big sponsorship deals on a commercial basis.

The second observation was that anything reportedly entered from the other side of the pond would be lovely to see but very unlikely to appear on the day. One or two might make a test day day if you were lucky. They would probably not survive the test day in any shape for racing.

Given that I was told recently that there were people talking about budgets of £25k for a weekend of Historic F1 racing - and that was for a "DFV" based chassis - I'm somewhat surprised that the grids are as large as they are.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3660225)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
According to a Classic press release we can expect to see both Gianfranco Brancatelli and Tony Longhurst out in E30 M3's!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 05:41 (Ref:3660259)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Entry lists are a constantly evolving phenomenon! But when disappointed by the non arrival of a particular car, consider that the owner has likely lost his entry fee that was paid months ago (for the Classic, at least), and probably spent a lot of money on preparation, tyres, fuel, accommodation, etc..... In other words, he or she would have preferred tha car to be there!

One observation on the grids for Silverstone Classic, and one that has been made before, is that there are overlaps. We have Pre 63 GT and Pre 66 GT, where many of the same cars are eligible for either- or both if you can afford it! So spectators see two races with very similar cars. Confusing? You tell me. OK, If you get a Cobra or E Type in the former, it will be an earlier homologation model, but a lot of cars have same homologations for both periods. And we have U2TC, with Minis, Louts Cortinas, Tisas, Alfas, etc. Then there is Masters 'big engined touring cars', which includes Minis, Louts Cortinas..... I'm guessing the latter, supposedly for the V8 brigade, was a small grid so needed boosting up a bit.....

From a Historic Racing balance point of view, there's at least one grid / period missing. Maybe that doesn't matter to the organisers?
Old 23 Jul 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3660260)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
According to a Classic press release we can expect to see Gianfranco Brancatelli!
Ahh, must be the celeb we've got to spot.......
Old 23 Jul 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3660267)   #89
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, 3 excellent points in your #87. There's usually no-one more distraught that the owner/entrant who has to pull out.

The Pre 63GT and Pre 66GT is a bit of a conundrum but the real gap is wider since it would be fair to say that the cars in the latter category have tended to be a bit more 'developed' than the former which tend on the whole to be closer to original. It's all relative, of course, and I agree that there is at least one grid/period missing!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 06:50 (Ref:3660273)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I know with Pre 63 they have tried / are trying to differentiate between series like Masters GD (Pre 66) and themselves. This definitely works with cars like Cobra, E Type and some Ferraris. Sadly what can happen is that someone puts a lot of time, effort and dosh into an earlier car to push the envelope.... My opinion only, of course!

I've always got the impression that the Classic organisers prefer grids that they can make most noise about and sell the most spectator tickets for. Nothing wrong with that, they are trying to make money, but it doesn't work for everyone.....
Old 23 Jul 2016, 06:58 (Ref:3660274)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And then again you can't fit them all in! The increase in interest in the Group 1 to Supertouring era of Touring Cars arguably has created the problem. No room for pre war now, which is a bit sad.

As to the confusion between U2TC and the big bangers. IIRC the reason U2TC was developed was because the smaller engined cars were worried about racing with bigger, heavier machinery. Then again if these are amalgamated again it may solve a problem because it seems that (returning to my point above), those that were leading the charge with the Mustangs, Falcons etc. are now getting into Group 1 which, if it wasn't expensive enough will make it so. Slightly off topic but I think relevant to the event.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3660275)   #92
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, you are right, Mike. It won't take long before the Pre 63s go the same way.

These big events are always about spectacle and pulling the punters in, many of whom only attend one or two a year so don't have an interest or indeed the awareness of the fact that they are not really watching cars as they performed in period. It's not that simple of course, since I could argue that even at club level, most cars are, inevitably, better prepped and quicker than in period.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3660276)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BTW I know there's Delta, Friday night BBQ for the Marshalls but Ken Clarke has a pit garage (don't know the number yet) would be nice to see some folks so feel free to pop in.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 08:23 (Ref:3660289)   #94
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
According to a Classic press release we can expect to see both Gianfranco Brancatelli and Tony Longhurst out in E30 M3's!
Not quite. Brancatelli will be in his old E30 M3, Longhurst will be in the 1994 B&H E36 318.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3660302)   #95
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I can fully appreciate the puzzle that is the entry list. I've been to events before where there has been 2 or 3 late entrants, however I've been to others with 2 or 3 that have dropped out. It's the nature of the beast and I've gotten used to it, it's totally understandable when it unfortunately does occur that someone doesn't make it.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3660331)   #96
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re the Pre '63s ...

Has someone started making 1961 Lotus Elites again?
Old 23 Jul 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3660386)   #97
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Grant, they were so advanced for their time and a fair number of the 999 (I think)built are racers. We have several that come out with us at FISCAR. They are so competitive. Genuine giant killers, then and now.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3660453)   #98
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Grant, they were so advanced for their time and a fair number of the 999 (I think)built are racers. We have several that come out with us at FISCAR. They are so competitive. Genuine giant killers, then and now.
John, I've seen the numbers picking up from time to time over the past few years and perhaps 6 or so regular entries in UK and European races but never this many in one place, so far as I can remember.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 05:24 (Ref:3660532)   #99
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Grant, I make it 12, which is indeed a phenomenal amount. We have 4 entered the following weekend and 3 of those are not at the Classic. They are remarkable cars - Colin Chapman's first real masterpiece since they predate the Elan.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 06:26 (Ref:3660538)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Elite- My favourite Lotus. So delicate..... I know Grant's original post was tongue in cheek, but I'm guessing a new car could be built from scratch. (Sure Brian A would have more knowledge on that.) Any such car would have absolutely zero provenance though!

Back to entry lists- anyone got U2TC?