Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 May 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4053060)   #76
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was good to get back out to a track after an extended winter break. Got wet a couple of times but otherwise all good.

Strong support races also makes it a decent day out.

All got to visit the inside of a pub on Saturday evening so it was close to a perfect weekend :-D
Old 24 May 2021, 09:12 (Ref:4053069)   #77
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
But you didn’t because of the stupid changes you can’t walk trackside between Sheene and Stirling’s no more :-(
I’m as grumpy about the changes as anyone, but that particular stretch is the only place I’ve ever felt unsafe trackside. I’m much more irritated by the harsh mesh fencing round other, perfectly safe bits of the loop. The ostensible reason was to allow faster cars like DTM to come, but as it turned out the uber DTM machines only visited once, but of course we are stuck with the fencing forever.
Old 24 May 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4053086)   #78
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I’m as grumpy about the changes as anyone, but that particular stretch is the only place I’ve ever felt unsafe trackside. I’m much more irritated by the harsh mesh fencing round other, perfectly safe bits of the loop. The ostensible reason was to allow faster cars like DTM to come, but as it turned out the uber DTM machines only visited once, but of course we are stuck with the fencing forever.
As others have said it was great to be back watching motorsport in person - seeing, hearing, feeling it again was a joy.

The frustrations with the viewing seem to grow every year as either more fencing appears or the existing fencing is changed for the worse (from a spectator/amateur photographer perspective). The revised fencing at Clearways is considerably worse, the specator fence is further back from the catch fencing and the 'photo holes' there are next to useless due to the distance.

I was only there on Saturday but still had a good day - any time there's a GT3 Bentley I'm happy Most people seemed to observe distancing quite well and it certainly wasn't crowded (especially out on the loop!).

I watched the race on YouTube yesterday - some great drives and all in all a good start to the season. I thought Lind was particularly impressive in the Lambo (and Cottingham in the Merc up until he got a bit optimistic at Paddock). The Ginetta looked good in GT4 - they mentioned that it's not actually homologated in GT4 yet - is that purely paperwork or is it a bit GT4+? For a debut it was very impressive.
Old 24 May 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4053093)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was rather envious of you guys who made it to the track, although my grandstand seat at home was very comfy for the race, which I enjoyed a heck of a lot more than the Monaco snore-fest. Good coverage on the stream and a fair bit of decent racing. Hoping to be at Silverstone at the end of June.
Old 24 May 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4053131)   #80
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I was rather envious of you guys who made it to the track, although my grandstand seat at home was very comfy for the race, which I enjoyed a heck of a lot more than the Monaco snore-fest. Good coverage on the stream and a fair bit of decent racing. Hoping to be at Silverstone at the end of June.
You will be in for a treat! Unfortunately I've worked out I can't make Silverstone now

I think all or most of the coverage was free to view, although they do seem to do a great job of not really telling people it's out there!!

Lots of action on track due to the changing weather conditions. Thankfully not too wet but enough to spice things up. As usual for british motorsport 'all seasons' in a day...!

I'll post some photos later on, but they need to be squashed a bit first...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6182.jpg   DSC_6212.jpg   DSC_6234.jpg  

DSC_6247.jpg  
Old 24 May 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4053137)   #81
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
A few more...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5941.jpg   DSC_6019.jpg   DSC_6465.jpg  

DSC_6418.jpg   DSC_6456.jpg   DSC_6295.jpg  

Old 24 May 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4053188)   #82
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why the tickets are not yet for sale for Silverstone?
Old 24 May 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4053193)   #83
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
I imagine they are waiting for the next re-opening anouncement from Govt so they can interpret it in a massively restrictive, risk-averse and spectator-unfriendly way.

Edited to add for those who don't frequent the Historic forum: for the HSCC meeting this last weekend spectators were limited to designated seats in Luffield grandstand and a small concourse area behind that stand to halfway up the pit straight. No roving areas, not even Luffield terrace. Masks at all times on site. None of this is required by the guidance/legislation and is in stark contrast to the approach taken by MSV, Santa Pod and any number of other outdoor attractions. Given this, I fully expect Silvertone to find some sort of restrictions necessary even after 21st June. I've already made plans to be elsewhere on the weekend Silverstone will "host" British GT.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 24 May 2021 at 16:59.
Old 24 May 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4053196)   #84
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Don't expect too much for Silverstone based on the HSCC. Luffield exit to Start Finish only ... Hopefully the feedback from the great unwashed will start to get through soon.

Better, go to Oulton, Snetterton, Donington ...
Old 24 May 2021, 16:58 (Ref:4053199)   #85
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
As others have said it was great to be back watching motorsport in person - seeing, hearing, feeling it again was a joy.

The frustrations with the viewing seem to grow every year as either more fencing appears or the existing fencing is changed for the worse (from a spectator/amateur photographer perspective). The revised fencing at Clearways is considerably worse, the specator fence is further back from the catch fencing and the 'photo holes' there are next to useless due to the distance.
As a relative newbie to Brands with a camera, it's not so bad (especially compared to Silverfence) but I am sure frustrating when you recall what you used to have. There are still come great places to shoot from though.

I decided to "go lite" with only a 24-120 zoom. Made me look at some different shots and a lot lighter than the usual kit ! Link to photos on here soon.
Old 24 May 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4053203)   #86
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
That's my concern with them.
I felt we were treated quite badly by them last year unlike MSVR who tried very hard to keep us in the loop.
Thanks all I will have a think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Don't expect too much for Silverstone based on the HSCC. Luffield exit to Start Finish only ... Hopefully the feedback from the great unwashed will start to get through soon.

Better, go to Oulton, Snetterton, Donington ...
Old 24 May 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4053211)   #87
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
A few more...
great pics, thaks for sharing
Old 25 May 2021, 01:40 (Ref:4053256)   #88
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought id look into attending the Silverstone round but judging by the Silverstone website you can only view from Luffield to halfway up the pit straight. https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events...t-championship

EDIT: Posted this then realised the posts above speaking about it. Sorry.
Old 25 May 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4053279)   #89
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
great pics, thaks for sharing
Cheers - first time out with the camera in a long time!! I'll try and post a few more once I've sifted through them..
Old 25 May 2021, 08:27 (Ref:4053282)   #90
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully the Silverstone restrictions will be eased once the 21st June deadline is passed, as it is possible the current level will continue so it make sense to continue to show the worse case scenario when selling tickets.

If not, it does seem a strange policy, surely you would want people as spread out as possible rather than all congregating in one area.
Old 25 May 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4053286)   #91
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think silverstone may be trying to keep the need for facilities cleaning and stewarding down with that kind of restriction - if they allowed spectators to roam freely then they'd need to have open toilet blocks and be cleaning them more than usual to comply with guidelines. given their position as grand prix hosts, they'd be under significant scrutiny from the govt/local council plague wardens as well, so it's easier for them to monitor a much smaller space.

they don't want to end up in a position where the local council jobsworth flexes their muscles and all of a sudden the terms for the grand prix are in doubt just because gareth from the covid department decided to apply the rules literally and not pragmatically.
Old 25 May 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4053289)   #92
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
That is certainly the reason. It all comes back to Silverstone’s entire business model being hosting F1 then selling track days off the back of that. MotoGP, the Classic and BTCC are nice little bonuses. I’m sure they would much prefer not to have spectators at all for club meets (up to and including British GT), we’re just a hassle that lose them money.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4053305)   #93
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
As a relative newbie to Brands with a camera, it's not so bad (especially compared to Silverfence) but I am sure frustrating when you recall what you used to have. There are still come great places to shoot from though.

I decided to "go lite" with only a 24-120 zoom. Made me look at some different shots and a lot lighter than the usual kit ! Link to photos on here soon.
As promised - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVL2jUn
Old 25 May 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4053314)   #94
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Great work as always! Interesting to see 1468-1500. I know where that is, but hadn’t seen the clear shot you found. I’ll go exploring there on Saturday!
Old 25 May 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4053337)   #95
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
That is certainly the reason. It all comes back to Silverstone’s entire business model being hosting F1 then selling track days off the back of that. MotoGP, the Classic and BTCC are nice little bonuses. I’m sure they would much prefer not to have spectators at all for club meets (up to and including British GT), we’re just a hassle that lose them money.
Seems about right.
Old 25 May 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4053338)   #96
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think silverstone may be trying to keep the need for facilities cleaning and stewarding down with that kind of restriction - if they allowed spectators to roam freely then they'd need to have open toilet blocks and be cleaning them more than usual to comply with guidelines. given their position as grand prix hosts, they'd be under significant scrutiny from the govt/local council plague wardens as well, so it's easier for them to monitor a much smaller space.

they don't want to end up in a position where the local council jobsworth flexes their muscles and all of a sudden the terms for the grand prix are in doubt just because gareth from the covid department decided to apply the rules literally and not pragmatically.
Makes logical sense, and keeping the local council happy is a key thing - especially one preoccupied with lots of other priorities.

However, you could just have only some toilet blocks open and clearly indicate which ones they are. The former has certainly been the case before now without the benefit for the spectators of the latter.
Old 26 May 2021, 06:54 (Ref:4053396)   #97
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
The issue I have with Silverstone is that they make no real effort to keep you in the loop unlike MSVR.
How hard is it to keep us informed?
Old 27 May 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4053538)   #98
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Two TF sport Vantage GT3 cars added for Silverstone

Also from social media it seems that Rocket RJN still have their GT3 McLaren - it's just not being used
Old 27 May 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4053560)   #99
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Two TF sport Vantage GT3 cars added for Silverstone

Also from social media it seems that Rocket RJN still have their GT3 McLaren - it's just not being used
Yes Rocket are still well and truly in with Mclaren, as you see from the DDP, just the GT3 program for DTM, GTWC or Brit GT never came to fruition. Hoping to see some one offs later in the year
Old 28 May 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4053648)   #100
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
My contribution to the photo record of Brands Hatch: https://bit.ly/3fPQGMe

Big album, I take lots of photos! All cropped and resized to 16:9 but otherwise unedited. And I’m a fan with a camera, not an accomplished photographer, but I hope you enjoy them nonetheless.