Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2023, 07:05 (Ref:4152536)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Those Fords are fast, well done to Rowbo and Sutton. Good to see Watson up there, likewise Collard
Old 23 Apr 2023, 07:52 (Ref:4152538)   #77
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
the drivers have an association and they asked toca for the new rules to be used from the first event so there is consistancy through the whole season instead of having to change the rules after the third event when msuk will change them

good common sense by the drivers
And as far as I can see the rules are very new, having gone out for consultation in Jan/Feb.

I'm not in the industry so I don't know when they were approved.

We'll see how it affects things. I think once drivers are used to it it really won't be an issue.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4152543)   #78
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
the drivers have an association and they asked toca for the new rules to be used from the first event so there is consistancy through the whole season instead of having to change the rules after the third event when msuk will change them

good common sense by the drivers
My point still stands. Harvey should stop saying it's nothing to do with the series and out of their hands etc. They had a choice.

If the drivers chose it then Sutton shouldn't be moaning in interviews about it either.

At the end of the day the change is small. Drivers of their supposed skill level should be easily able to keep the car within the limits. It's a massively smaller change than when the UK track limits were first introduced.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 08:57 (Ref:4152544)   #79
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wssn't Sutton one of the biggest disregarders of track limits in past ?
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:15 (Ref:4152547)   #80
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Imagine a wet race will work well for Sutton…
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:36 (Ref:4152552)   #81
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Having the qualifying on Youtube is a huge improvement over ITV Player.
I'll second that, the playback is far more consistent, the ITV Hub often used to freeze on my computer. I still find it annoying how the picture still seems to be a second or two behind the audio, especially during interviews.
Also, not *having* to watch it live enables me to be far more sociable at home, especially yesterday as my wife suggested we walked to the pub whilst qualifying was happening!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:44 (Ref:4152554)   #82
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
And as far as I can see the rules are very new, having gone out for consultation in Jan/Feb.

I'm not in the industry so I don't know when they were approved.

We'll see how it affects things. I think once drivers are used to it it really won't be an issue.
Consultation ended 22 February, Race Committee met in March. I haven't seen any errata published with the new regs in, but here's the proposal:

https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Action-Sheet-Track-Limits-3-1.pdf

It's now "any part of a tyre" rather than the entire width of the tyre, the penalties are +5s added to the lap time in qualifying, +1s/+2s/+5s/drive through/black flag. There is no leniency, and teams cannot protest each other.

Personally I've not done anything with these new regs yet but I can see the radio being very very busy once this is implemented!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:45 (Ref:4152555)   #83
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Also, not *having* to watch it live enables me to be far more sociable at home, especially yesterday as my wife suggested we walked to the pub whilst qualifying was happening!
How very civilised!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4152558)   #84
Trebor902
Rookie

Trebor902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hill as usual pushing people off and the people with more money than talent proving they shouldn't be there. Halstead prime example.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4152559)   #85
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha this is a disaster
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:43 (Ref:4152560)   #86
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor902 View Post
Hill as usual pushing people off and the people with more money than talent proving they shouldn't be there. Halstead prime example.
Think Sutton moved over to be honest, very messy start.

Amazing so far from Watson and Pearson!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:47 (Ref:4152561)   #87
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was on Sutton tbh. You can't aggressively move over the front of a car that's already there and say it's their fault for not braking - especially on the start.

Hopefully once he's calmed down and sees a replay he'll have a different opinion. That one was on him.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:51 (Ref:4152562)   #88
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100% on Sutton. Theres always bunching at the start and the aggressive sweep across made the contact inevitable. You can see Jake clip Rowbottom trying to avoid Sutton but he wasn't leaving two cars width - if it wasn't him then it was likely to be Rowbottom in the weeds, all due to Suttons move.

Should be exciting seeing Ash carve through the field in race 2, wouldn't be surprised to see him on the top step after Race 3.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4152564)   #89
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Imagine a wet race will work well for Sutton…
Oh
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:09 (Ref:4152565)   #90
Evantra
Veteran

England
Brilliant from Watson, hair off a debut podium in tricky conditions!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4152566)   #91
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watson absolutely a man of the race, what a debut!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:16 (Ref:4152567)   #92
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So have they changed the rules again? Sutton said they had to have a significant overlap yet I clearly remember incidents from last year when it was said that the BTCC guidelines were if that there was any overlap at all you couldn't move over.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4152568)   #93
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
So have they changed the rules again? Sutton said they had to have a significant overlap yet I clearly remember incidents from last year when it was said that the BTCC guidelines were if that there was any overlap at all you couldn't move over.
The answer is different depending if you are the person with the overlap, or the person being overlapped
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:35 (Ref:4152569)   #94
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hill wasn't overlapped enough to make a pass. But he was just driving in a straight line. You can't cut over other cars, which are overlapping, even if it's just a couple of cm, and expect them to brake.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4152570)   #95
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
My favourite sort of race is one where the lead driver is a little slower than those behind but is doing their absolute best to hold them off, leading to a scrap for the lead that lasts almost the whole race, and ideally ends with the second car having to pull off an outstanding overtake to win because overtaking is possible but not easy. And that is exactly what just happened in Donington. Meanwhile, it is also nice to see a lot of battling and overtaking in the mid-pack, as we got, and a great fightback drive from someone, as we got from Josh Cook who made plenty of passes from the back of the field. A bit of controversy is nice as well and we have that with the Hill-Sutton incident which also means that Sutton will have a fightback to make in race two. To add to this, the rain meant there was a lot of particularly spectacular sliding through corners, and it was on a proper race track with lots of fast, sweeping corners, elevation changes and grass/gravel on the outside of the track rather than walls or tarmac. And we had a surprise with Andrew Watson and Power Maxed being in contention for a podium, while there was a mixture of cars at the front.

All in all, pretty much a perfect race, I loved it.

The hybrid rules for this year are surely a huge improvement on last year. 2021 and 2022 were a little underwhelming but this could be a great season.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4152572)   #96
Evantra
Veteran

England
Wow… 3 place grid penalty for Hill.

https://twitter.com/btcc/status/1650...T11pmdgnSSDQzA
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:09 (Ref:4152573)   #97
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Wow… 3 place grid penalty for Hill.

https://twitter.com/btcc/status/1650...T11pmdgnSSDQzA
Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:11 (Ref:4152574)   #98
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Absolutely ridiculous.
Yep. Not quite sure how that conclusion was made...
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:36 (Ref:4152577)   #99
Evantra
Veteran

England
How do the adverts manage to get worse and more repetitive every year! And seemingly longer…
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:40 (Ref:4152578)   #100
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
Yep. Not quite sure how that conclusion was made...
The judicial form hasn't been published with the support series ones just yet.

https://www.barc.net/online_noticeboard/2023-donington-park-april-22-23/

It'll be interesting to see when it does.