Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 May 2023, 12:59 (Ref:4156926)   #76
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I’m surprised the Focus can reach those top speeds when they have a somewhat supposedly unfavourable “draggier” hatchback body shape.

Last edited by Sodemo; 20 May 2023 at 13:08.
Old 20 May 2023, 13:19 (Ref:4156930)   #77
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Straight line speed has always been a strong point of the Focus.
Old 20 May 2023, 13:47 (Ref:4156936)   #78
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Straight line speed has always been a strong point of the Focus.

But wasn't it commented on here after either Donington or Brands that none of the Focii were anywhere near being the fastest through the speed traps? It was stated on that thread that their huge advantage was that they had far superior handling which more than made up for their lack of straight line speed.
Old 20 May 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4156937)   #79
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was their times done on soft tyres?
Old 20 May 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4156941)   #80
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Was their times done on soft tyres?
Why would they wear out there soft tyres in free practices that doesn’t mean anything
Old 20 May 2023, 14:10 (Ref:4156943)   #81
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So the Focus has a better straight line speed than the BMW which is meant to have one of the best drag coefficients?
Old 20 May 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4156946)   #82
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I’m surprised the Focus can reach those top speeds when they have a somewhat supposedly unfavourable “draggier” hatchback body shape.
The hyundai of ingram has the highest top speed so far today
Old 20 May 2023, 15:40 (Ref:4156966)   #83
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sutton looks a step ahead, can see R1 and 2 going his way fairly easily tomorrow! 3/3 poles for Napa.

Only the top 9 within a second, of course it’s a longer lap.
Old 20 May 2023, 15:54 (Ref:4156971)   #84
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the usual suspects at front

the boost reduction sledgehammder should come
Old 20 May 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4156974)   #85
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the usual suspects at front

the boost reduction sledgehammder should come
For the fastest drivers being at the front? And 4 different models in the top 5?
Old 20 May 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4156979)   #86
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesn't TOCA do such revisiions every 3 rounds ?? surelly having same car at front is not desirab le for front
Old 20 May 2023, 16:18 (Ref:4156983)   #87
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
For the fastest drivers being at the front? And 4 different models in the top 5?
and two bmws had the two fastest top speed times in qualifying

top speeds in order were jelly, hill, ingram, pearson, gamble, loyd, sutton
Old 20 May 2023, 16:24 (Ref:4156984)   #88
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
and two bmws had the two fastest top speed times in qualifying

top speeds in order were jelly, hill, ingram, pearson, gamble, loyd, sutton
So top speeds don’t show the Ford to be at the top - must be chassis or driver skill…
Old 20 May 2023, 16:52 (Ref:4156989)   #89
Evantra
Veteran

England
Jade Edwards excluded from qualifying, seems to be for an underweight car.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...-Team-Hard.pdf
Old 20 May 2023, 17:01 (Ref:4156991)   #90
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Jade Edwards excluded from qualifying, seems to be for an underweight car.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...-Team-Hard.pdf

Not that it makes much difference anyway. 22nd to 27th.
Old 20 May 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4156996)   #91
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've just watched the qualifying coverage on YouTube (dead handy not having to watch live, we had visitors for lunch!).
Firstly 'they' seem to be making this more of a programme now with quite a bit more build up before the actual qualifying action, could this be TOCA finally taking notice of the criticism from fans about not opening access away from ITV4?
I also think that it was extremely lucky that no-one suffered too badly after the oil induced off at the start of the session, a few relatively light impacts into the barriers but fortunately (as far as I saw) all of the spinning cars seemed to miss everyone else, otherwise there could have been carnage.
Ash Sutton appears to be streets ahead of everyone else (again) this weekend and I know that they've got the Focus working well (and to his liking) but as the speed trap figures show, this certainly isn't down to a power advantage, it is a combination of the chassis & driver working in harmony with each other. Dan Cam seemed to be going well too until his strange off, I'll be interested to know what really happened there.
Although it looks like Ash should walk away with the first couple of races, this is The BTCC, plus there's the tyre compound situation they all have to deal with too, so hopefully we will be in for a trio of exciting races tomorrow.
Old 20 May 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4156999)   #92
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
doesn't TOCA do such revisiions every 3 rounds ?? surelly having same car at front is not desirab le for front
Not as definite as every 'X' rounds. Boost is changed when it is deemed necessary.
Old 20 May 2023, 17:48 (Ref:4157000)   #93
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
The last time they did this three-compound rule was 2019, also at Snetterton, and the third race that day was one of the greatest BTCC races I have ever seen with that classic Jason Plato vs Ash Sutton battle.
Old 20 May 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4157001)   #94
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think the drivers involved in the oil off got away very lightly. As Turkington said he was waiting on connecting with another car.

Not sure what happened with Dan Cam, remember when Plato rolled his car there.
Old 20 May 2023, 18:14 (Ref:4157003)   #95
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Think the drivers involved in the oil off got away very lightly. As Turkington said he was waiting on connecting with another car.
Lucky it happened at a corner with generous run-off. Had flashbacks to the big one at Croft in 2016.
Old 20 May 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4157005)   #96
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cammish was the lucky one when he rolled back across the circuit right in front of, I think, one of the Beemers.
Old 20 May 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4157016)   #97
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I feel like when BMW introduced their 3 series in 2019 they took the rest of the field by surprise. Now some other teams have got it together it makes all those BOP measures hit on the RWD teams seem somewhat unwarranted. I wonder if there is any system to review such changes because they really hobbled those cars after the 2019 season. Longer first gear, extra weight, higher ride height are among the measures I can remember.
Old 20 May 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4157026)   #98
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been at Snetterton today (and will be tomorrow), it seemed to me that the atendance was quite a bit down on last year - certainly the camp site looked emptier as well. I don't know if this is a result of holding it a couple of months earlier than usual, the cost of attending, a smaller package with the loss of the Ginettas or something else.
Old 20 May 2023, 21:34 (Ref:4157048)   #99
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I feel like when BMW introduced their 3 series in 2019 they took the rest of the field by surprise. Now some other teams have got it together it makes all those BOP measures hit on the RWD teams seem somewhat unwarranted. I wonder if there is any system to review such changes because they really hobbled those cars after the 2019 season. Longer first gear, extra weight, higher ride height are among the measures I can remember.

Over the past few years Dick Bennetts has made the odd comment that he feels the BMW is punished by having to run a lower boost level also. We also had the success ballast box placed as far forward as possible (they tried to do the same but couldn't with the hybrid gear), the boost electronically restricted during start procedure to cancel any start line advantage, tyre compounds generally harder than they once were (but it's ok for the tyre warm up to be better for FWD) and at one point 10kg of ballast having to be placed Infront of the front axle I think also.

Unfortunately the perception is that if a FWD team does well it's because the team has worked hard, but if the BMW does well it's due to an unfair advantage that has miraculously appeared over the winter or something, not that WSR is one of the best teams around or has put any work/ money in.

People like Tim Harvey don't help either as he is always very quick to point out when he feels the BMW has an advantage, if that had been a BMW on pole today by 4 tenths he would be saying the BMW has an advantage but he made me laugh how during commentary he mentioned how even he felt it was today. (Before anyone says anything I think Ash deserved pole today as his lap was fantastic and he clearly is on top of his game).
Old 21 May 2023, 02:23 (Ref:4157086)   #100
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Absolutely. I haven't been for about 15 years, but I gather the road network has improve massively since the changes at Elveden.
It's good from the south nowadays. Not so good from the north.
Unfortuantely there have been roadworks just north of the circuit on the A11 for about two years now.

Far better road newtork nearby than say Thruxton or Cadwell, though
From the south, must be easiest to get to in country, (in the sense of being just off a dual-carriageway), with dual carriageway/motrway extending all the way down to London some 100 miles away.

Many parts of Norfolk are not far, far away from civilisation nowadays, despite the stereotypes!

PS: Dual carriageway. mototway driving is not interestibg. I would often try to avoid those roads in the main, on longer journeys as I enjoy driving and the trip to a raceday weekend

Last edited by mattcanary; 21 May 2023 at 02:33.