Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:56 (Ref:699215)   #76
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same kind of machinations go on in everyday businesses, we just don't see them or pay attention to them. I have worked at firms undergoing reorganization and it's no prettier than what we're seeing as CART gets its house in order. One year the firm had to take out a special loan to pay our Christmas bonuses, and one firm had to bring in an outside financial manager as the people in charge were inclined to spend the firm's assets on huge parties and redecoration of their offices instead of actually running the firm. And don't even get me started on the Faceless Clones who took over a fourishing mid-range firm and within two years had driven almost all the best people away including all their clients. Turned out they weren't interested in running a business, only in acquiring one.

So while this looks unusually confusing and messy and disastrous, it is really quite common. They have some good people working on it now and things will come out all right.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:59 (Ref:699382)   #77
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me a lot of the debacle we went through in Ottawa last year to save our Senators... Back in January when the team missed payroll everyone was sure the team was either going under or going to move. A new owner expressed interest back in January...made his bid official in April, then there were a ton of legal issues to sort out - which took months, and the deal has only been signed sealed and made official, finally done and over with today, at the end of August. ..and this was one private company changing hands, not a public company going private.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:699465)   #78
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tailwind
About the wipers...if you could hook up little sprayers like on high end passenger car headlights, we could eliminate the tear-offs...
Imagine the wind buffetting to which the helmets would be subjected. the driver's necks would have to counteract all that extra force, if you were to put wipers on their helmets. It's a cute idea, but a no-go from where I stand.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:699770)   #79
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
None of this post is "new" news, but here's something from AutoSport...

On Sunday at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Kalkhoven confirmed that OWRS is proceeding with its acquisition attempt. "Things are progressing, forward," he said. "The Board has three options. They can say 'No,' 'Yes,' or 'Yes, but...' Right now we're at 'Yes, but… Hopefully the board will make a decision soon, they'll put a press release out and it will be positive. But those are three hopefullys."

The process could be slowed by Jon Vannini, a part-time racer who has competed in CART's Barber Dodge Pro Series and owns around 9 percent of CART's outstanding public shares. Vannini is reportedly considering starting legal action against CART based on what he perceives as mismanagement of the company, causing the share value to plummet.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:06 (Ref:700114)   #80
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard Forsythe has offered him some kind of position in CART (as what, I can't imagine). Wonder if this is why?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:15 (Ref:700120)   #81
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please tell Vannini to get lost? This guy has been "a pain in the pooper" since he first showed up.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:20 (Ref:707244)   #82
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
There seems to have been significant trading at 1PM today.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:37 (Ref:707517)   #83
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as it stands, CART doesn't havbe the money to complete next season, but if theycould survive long enough for OWRS to take over, then it might be ok.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 22:55 (Ref:707571)   #84
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Don't Forsythe buy Jon Vannini's shares at whatever he wants this does not commite him to a full takover at the price he pays.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 03:07 (Ref:707654)   #85
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega99
Well, as it stands, CART doesn't havbe the money to complete next season, but if theycould survive long enough for OWRS to take over, then it might be ok.
IF the rumors are true that OWRS wants to pump just enough money into CART for it to survive through 2004 only to make a deal with the devil (TG) in 2005, then I would rather see ChampCars die with some dignity!!!
Old 4 Sep 2003, 03:11 (Ref:707656)   #86
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by vatuloa
Why Don't Forsythe buy Jon Vannini's shares at whatever he wants this does not commite him to a full takover at the price he pays.
Shareholders are limited to a 15% maximum holding. Forsythe had to get a special board exemption to increase his holding to 23%. Besides, Mr. Vannini has to want to sell.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 04:52 (Ref:707685)   #87
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the other side...Forsythe doesn't need to buy his shares for more than the tender offer. He just makes a side deal (of course nothing less than arms length)to provide an after the fact transaction which satisfies Vannini.

The thing that really bums me out is that Vannini is the one that forced Heitzler out (right or wrong doesn't matter) and was the primary selector the current management and now he's complaining about the job their doing.

This isn't the first company he's done it to either. I was reading some SEC stuff where he dropped a proxy fight he waged in another company and settled for a return of the attorney's fees he had spent. It was $400,000. Reality is CART can't sustain that kind of a fight and I hope Vannini doesn't do it.

I'm not sure what good it would do him anyway. If he doesn't allow the buyout CART goes bankrupt and he loses it all . With the buyout at least he gets something. Am I missing something?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 09:47 (Ref:707869)   #88
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If CART goes bankrupt what is to stop the new group setting up a new company to contract Teams, venues, TV etc.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:02 (Ref:707988)   #89
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vatuloa, there's nothing to stop it and nothing to stop them from going their own way and doing it right now. Some think they will if the agreement is not reached on their terms, i.e., the lowball offer.

As far as merging with TG in '05, I don't see it happening, although Russo alluded to that as an aim in a backward sort of way.

Supposed to be a BoD meeting today.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:16 (Ref:708074)   #90
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Q. Does anyone know who is left standing on the board of directors these days?

PS. So long as CART survives they will keep coming to the coast, makes economical sense to everyone... yee haa
Old 4 Sep 2003, 14:10 (Ref:708111)   #91
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The BoD consists of Chris Pook, Carl Haas, James Hardymon, James Henderson, Ralph Sanchez and Fred Tucker.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 14:24 (Ref:708121)   #92
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a trade of 200,000 shares for a buck each around 1 p.m. Wednesday. Some speculation it could be Haas unloading because he held 200,500 shares. Nothing on EDGAR yet. If it was Haas, I'd look for him to leave the BoD in short order.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 16:39 (Ref:708204)   #93
James Wilkenson
Rookie

James Wilkenson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
The BoD consists of Chris Pook, Carl Haas, James Hardymon, James Henderson, Ralph Sanchez and Fred Tucker.
Macdaddy.....you got a rundown on who these cat's are?

does Ralph Sanchez own Homestead?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 16:53 (Ref:708212)   #94
indycool
Veteran

James,
Pook is the former Long Beach originator and is CEO.
Haas is a car owner and importer of Lola cars and parts.
Hardymon and Henderson, I don't have background on, but it's probably available at CART.com.
Tucker is a Motorola executive.
Sanchez promoted the old CART races at Tamiami, the old IMSA races downtown and the old CART races downtown, built Homestead, sold his shares in it to ISC.
So far in the last few months, Patrick and Andretti declined to re-run for BoD election, an accountant type named Robert Biggs was named to the BoD and quit a month later and Walker resigned from the BoD, leaving the total at six guys.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 00:49 (Ref:708616)   #95
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This just came up on Champweb

Quote:
According to this SEC filing, CART is going to allow a party (ie Russo, Gentilozzi), to purchase over 15% of the stock, without triggering the poison pill.
Quote:
However, if they purchase the stock, and decide to not continue with their bid at purchasing CART, they have 2 days to sell the stock back.
Quote:
Basically, it is just another step forward in the legal side of things. With no announcements coming from today's BOD meeting, one must speculate that everything is going as planned...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 10:37 (Ref:708966)   #96
indycool
Veteran

Well, that's Champweb's take that it's "another step forward."
IMO, what it means is that there's no deal with Vannini, the BoD doesn't think the votes are there for the buyout and they've opened it up to a full-throttle proxy fight....not "everything is going as planned."
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:23 (Ref:709670)   #97
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentilozzi is a part of OWRS so doesn’t that bring more stock ownership under the control of OWRS? If the BOD didn’t want OWRS to end up running the series then wouldn’t they have stopped the stock purchase with the Poison Pill? Who would the proxy fight be with? No one, to my knowledge, has stepped up to the plate since OWRS. Vannini isn’t part of OWRS, but he doesn’t carry enough weight on his own. Can he oppose the buyout and prevent it from happening? :confused:
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:03 (Ref:709715)   #98
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indycool, nobody expected you to think it was anything good .

We'll have to wait and see what it all means... I barely have time to read the news these days, so my attitude has almost become: 'hand me the final headline'.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Sep 2003, 03:38 (Ref:709783)   #99
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This filing could be the BOD allowing, as Vatuloa suggested, a current shareholder (say Forsythe) to aquire more shares than at the last amendment. Allowing him to do this puts him in a position to make a private transaction with Vannini for his shares at something greater than current market. This would make Vannini go away and allow C^RT to conclude their deal without a costly legal battle or the threat of one. That large shareholder (assuming Forsythe again) essentially recovers his outlay for this by taking a larger stake in OWRS or a myriad of other possibilities on the backside.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 22:01 (Ref:710393)   #100
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Last Wednesday I had posted,
"There seems to have been significant trading at 1PM today."

I never really noticed until now, that there was significantly more trading on Thursday than on Wednesday...