Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 May 2004, 13:46 (Ref:976607)   #76
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
I saw the 66T car go thru tech again today and overheard one of the Penske guys say that Roger had maybe worked a deal to lease it to Mo Nunn.

You're our best eyes and ears at IMS, Team Owner....

If that's what you overheard, that could very well be the deal....

But if it is, that's a shame in a way, because Mo Nunn already has the 21 car at least entered...

Unless that is just a paper entry and he doesn't have the chassis with the new aero add-ons in place....and he doesn't want to risk the back-up car for Tora Takagi...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 May 2004, 14:48 (Ref:976653)   #77
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Buddy will be on track, although we don't know who for yet. I think we can get to 33 - Christian at NHR at Moreno at SAFR would be great.
Old 20 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:976692)   #78
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
Looks like Buddy will be on track, although we don't know who for yet. I think we can get to 33 - Christian at NHR at Moreno at SAFR would be great.

Buddy cut a deal with Dreyer & Reinbold....that is confirmed....

Old 20 May 2004, 17:11 (Ref:976784)   #79
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Indy Star says that Sam Schmidt is trying to work a deal for the #66 Penske G Force. Also there is more on the Greg Ray Access Motorsports meltdown; speculation that Honda may make the engines available to Newman-Haas or Fernandez to field an additional car.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/147978-9819-188.html
Old 20 May 2004, 18:06 (Ref:976822)   #80
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that would be bad. The IRL needs people like Ray, and he's worked far to hard to get his team going just to be given the shaft by Honda...

If this does happen, will he still be able to get a Chevy or something? Probably not...
Old 20 May 2004, 21:10 (Ref:977028)   #81
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
I think Greg Ray's team has run its course. I pretty much rate him a scratch, which is more sad than anyting else.

As things stand, it looks like only three more cars are likely to qualify; #25 Roth, #98 Jones, and #23 Lazier.

It's a fair bet that the #66 Penske G Force/Toyota, and the #44 Panther Dallara/Chevy will wind up in the race, but its hard to guess which team will lease them and exactly who will drive them - a lot of combos trying to get put together.

I frankly don't see where the last two come from. Honda can certainly help with one, perhaps creatively working a deal to put the #13 in the race with some other team. Whatever it is, needs to be worked out today.
Old 20 May 2004, 21:57 (Ref:977081)   #82
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't think that anybody raced #13.
Old 20 May 2004, 22:37 (Ref:977111)   #83
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I was out at IMS this afternoon, courtesy of the Indy Star....and was in Gasoline Alley and the pits for most of the afternoon....

Three things of note:

1. Greg Ray's Team had the car out of the garage and were talking to people....One of their crew told me directly the same thing that "Team Owner" reported...

That they have already done the testing they needed to do from the IRL session plus some runs on their own prior to May, and that we WILL see them racing...$$$ is tight, but that they will be out and racing to make the show....

2. THe biggest buzz going on today was that Robbie McGhee has some $$$ or a sponsor to kick in with Paul Diatlovitch (PDM Racing) and that they will be hooking up with Robby Gordon;s team to run the #70 chassis...as you know, Robby qualified the #70T, and he has been using the 70 to get data for the race setups on the car he qualified....Robby G. heads for charlotte tonight, but he was running laps in the 1214-215 range today...

3. I saw one of the Penske G-Force cars in IRL Tech this afternoon, but only a few Penske team people and the IRL official around it....I looked very hard for anyone assoiciated with another team, but saw no one else from another operation....

Three other notes....

There was a guy with one of the passes that is given only to top officials or race team personnel around talking with the Cheever crew, and he was asked by a Cheever team member how things were going and he replied, "We just finished painting it." People got in my way, and I didn't get to ask him who he was with, but boy did it try to work my way over to him!!!!

The Beck Garages were sealed tight, and the D&R garages, other than the slot where Giaffone's car was going to be placed after he finished running, were closed, too...

AJ was NOT THRILLED with the shunt and contact that they had wiht the wall today....glad I was not his clipboard.....it sounded like a rifle shot when it hit the pavement!!!

Old 20 May 2004, 23:01 (Ref:977131)   #84
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ESPN/Sportcenter, reported that Robbie McGhee has made a deal with PDM Racing, and that Richie Hearn has made a deal to drive for Sam Schmidt, in the #66 Penske car.

Still no Greg Ray though.

Danica Patrick
Old 20 May 2004, 23:09 (Ref:977136)   #85
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great stuff for those two Just need Greg in now...
Old 20 May 2004, 23:12 (Ref:977138)   #86
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that we've had some developments, I'll do an update on what cars we have put together to fill the field

27. #20 Roth
28. #98 Jones
29. #23 B. Lazier
30. #70 (will eventually need a new number) McGehee
31. #66 Hearn
32. #13 Ray

just one more (assuming Ray does get something put together) and we have a full field. 2 more and we get some bump day drama.
Old 20 May 2004, 23:16 (Ref:977142)   #87
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ESPN interviewed Eddie Cheever and he mentioned something about Jaques Lazier being on his short list for drivers.

I only caught the middle of the interview, so I'm not sure if Eddie is planning to run a third car or not. Is it a possibility?

Danica Patrick
Old 20 May 2004, 23:20 (Ref:977145)   #88
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I didn't think that anybody raced #13.
That was the case up untill last year, when Ray formed his team.

Interesting stat - When Ray used the #13 at Indy last year, he was the first driver to do so since 1914.
Old 20 May 2004, 23:52 (Ref:977162)   #89
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so we are getting there , ya just gotta hope that these guys with limited track time will get the job done properly and have a good run , nothing like being well prepared especially for Indy , so im hoping that with the help of teams other cars and drivers these blokes who are good drivers in their own right can get the cars dialed in quick and up to speed to make it a great show on the 30th
Old 21 May 2004, 04:18 (Ref:977260)   #90
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=2802

This makes 30 by my count:

Robby McGehee is in the #18 PDM Dallara/Chevy, Napoli Engineering plus a number of other smaller sponsors. I hope PDM has time too get the car up to spec and properly setup for McGehee. He wont be any sort of threat in the race. Jones and Lazier, if they get some significant track time Friday, should be able to make some noise.

Ten full rows. Hopefully Robert Clarke (HDP) will manage to get one more Honda out there, be it Ray or somebody else. Also I'm looking for Penske to work a deal to lease the #66 G Force. Its going to be very close right down to the wire.

I noticed D&R entry for Buddy Lazier was changed to #91 and is a partnership with Hemelgarn Racing. So Ron is back in Indy!

Last edited by sgw2; 21 May 2004 at 04:21.
Old 21 May 2004, 06:27 (Ref:977301)   #91
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been gone for the last couple of days and it's been great reading up on all the latest news - things are certainly shaping up quite nicely.

Also, thank you Tim and Team Owner for your reports
Old 21 May 2004, 11:51 (Ref:977597)   #92
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having Hemelgarn back is a real surprise, and should shcok a few CART diehards into a reality check. PDM's presence is superb as well - it just goes to show how much committment Paul has made.

I don't blame Honda for Greg Ray's situation. I think he's beign quite petty, consdiering that he has quite happily (and economically viably) paid for engines for a year, and his team just doesn't have the performance potential of the other Honda squads.

It's a shame Gordon isn't running the secod car himself, as it suggests that he's less likely to continue in the series past the month, but at least the car should be there.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:09 (Ref:977689)   #93
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=2802

This makes 30 by my count:

Robby McGehee is in the #18 PDM Dallara/Chevy, Napoli Engineering plus a number of other smaller sponsors. I hope PDM has time too get the car up to spec and properly setup for McGehee. He wont be any sort of threat in the race. Jones and Lazier, if they get some significant track time Friday, should be able to make some noise.

Ten full rows. Hopefully Robert Clarke (HDP) will manage to get one more Honda out there, be it Ray or somebody else. Also I'm looking for Penske to work a deal to lease the #66 G Force. Its going to be very close right down to the wire.

I noticed D&R entry for Buddy Lazier was changed to #91 and is a partnership with Hemelgarn Racing. So Ron is back in Indy!

It is 31 with the Hearn deal....

I spoke with Greg Ray's people in the garage area yesterday, and they said that they WILL run....they were pretty adamant about it....

Like "Team Owner" had told us over a week ago, they learned plenty during the IRL test in April plus their own sessions for set-ups....

Being tight on $$$, they don't want to waste the tires, fuel, etc....

But they assured me that they will run....

Let's see if it happens....

Old 21 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:977693)   #94
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....Hearn will be in the Penske G-Force that I saw in tech yesterday....and Sam Schmidt put the deal together...

Jones & Lazier are expected to take the track today...

Hearn was at Mid-Ohio yesterday testing his Star Mazda team....he'll need to be fitted for a seat, as will McGhee....

He was watching Robby Gordon run the car yesterday....Robby went 216 with the race set-up and looked decent....

McGhee will be just fine....

Old 21 May 2004, 13:47 (Ref:977726)   #95
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More good news over the last few days then. PDM aand Hemelgarn are great news, as there must be a chance of them completing the season.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:04 (Ref:977749)   #96
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note on Hemelgarn....

The Indy Star reported this morning that he now has the Reynard chassis (that he leased from Forsythe of $1) in his shops, but he will not be ready to compete in the oWRS in time for Milwaukee...

Portland would be their first race date...

The word behind this is that Ron is being paid $3 million (either by one of the three principals in the OWRS or by the series itself) to race in OWRS....and as noted, his cars will cost him $1...

Can't blame him for taking a deal like that.....

But it's a shame he won't be running in the IRL past his involvement with D&R for this Indy effort....although he does ave an IPS team...Cory Witherell is the driver...

Old 21 May 2004, 18:38 (Ref:978017)   #97
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note from Friday morning....

Buddy Lazier took to the track for the first time today...

He ran a 215.5 for his best lap in the early session today before the IPS qualifying started...

Old 21 May 2004, 19:17 (Ref:978044)   #98
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Great start for him
Old 21 May 2004, 19:27 (Ref:978052)   #99
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
We have 26 drivers so far. Hearn, McGehee, Roth, Ray, Lazier and Jones makes 32. We just need one more.
Old 21 May 2004, 20:02 (Ref:978073)   #100
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
.I don't blame Honda for Greg Ray's situation. I think he's beign quite petty, consdiering that he has quite happily (and economically viably) paid for engines for a year, and his team just doesn't have the performance potential of the other Honda squads.
Boots, from what I have read, Gregs problems don't seem to have anything to do with Honda, it seems to be the lack of a primary sponsor that is holding him back.

I saw his car go through tech on Sunday, and it had no sponsorship on the car, except for a few secondary ones. Greg surely belongs in this race, and I find it hard to believe that there is a sponsorship problem, but such is racing in 2004...

Danica Patrick