Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2007, 01:51 (Ref:1906895)   #76
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Of course it was Mr. Literal.

I was hoping we were heading towards talking about airspeed, and the Zytek’s particular version, because frankly I was totally lost in the bird nicknames, whether someone was or was not, possibly, certainly not, related to someone else, or, was conversing or not while on a ferry while someone else was sleeping in the back seat of a car. Whew. I may have gotten all that out of sequence, I don’t know.

I do know that I myself needed a beer and am an ocean away from Spain, so I guess I am buying my own
Old 5 May 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1906962)   #77
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im sitting on top of a rather large mountain , so i guess im buying my own beer too skycafe , maybe we will get a freebee at
Le Mans !!!
Old 6 May 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1907651)   #78
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its certainly got the pace , lets see if it lasts !!!

Cant wait to see it next month at the biggy .
Old 6 May 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1907701)   #79
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly it the Arena Zytek has been having some troubles after putting in a good start to the race and matching the pace of the Peugeots.
Old 6 May 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1907973)   #80
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Throttle cable problems apparently. It broke twice...
Old 6 May 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1908001)   #81
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to DSC they retired the car because they did not want to risk braking the throttle cable a third time.

Arena boss Mike Earle was very happy with their debut:
Quote:
“But we were 32 seconds behind the Peugeot after three hours. Hayanari got it back from a minute behind to 32 seconds. This was our test day in public, and when you do as well as this, your expectations go up.”
source: http://www.dailysportscar.com/subscr...a_postrace.htm
Old 7 May 2007, 04:18 (Ref:1908102)   #82
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the 07S have the same motor as the 06S?
Old 7 May 2007, 04:57 (Ref:1908113)   #83
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the motor is upgraded, but the same basic layout yes.
Old 7 May 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1908194)   #84
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi all,

No beers this w/e - dissapointing form!

As for the car, it proved itself to be faster than any petrol car out there (quite a bit faster actually, it put a lap on everyone in the race before 3 hours was up), still imho though, a fair way off the pugs......cant help but feel that Pugs were in autopilot even when Hayanari was driving the skin off it to catch them. As for the reliability; talk about a mundane thing to brake......twice! Stephan's got an iron boot I think!!!! Oh well......some more testing before Le Mans should help that.

I hope I will be buying some beer at La Sarthe.....
Old 7 May 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1908256)   #85
The Badger
Veteran

Bring your check book mate ..... do you really want every tom dick and harry aproaching the Arena boys in their pit when they have more important things on their mind ?

Hpoe they never find out that you put 758 people asking questions in their pit ..... its not beer youl be needing , its vaseline and an extraction tool !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 7 May 2007 at 11:08.
Old 7 May 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1908309)   #86
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
04s........do you mind me asking where abouts exactly the throttle cable failed?.....I suspect the cable came out of the barrel which links to the throttle linkage?.....if so this is a really common problem........I once found and used a company called RCS ringspan based in the UK, on both my single seater and the Ascari LMP900...... Gordon Risley was the sales chaps name.......the little barrel (about 6mm OD, 10mm long) featured tapered collets that gripped into the cable harder when more load was applied, a real clever, but simple piece of micro engineering that involved no crimping.

if Zyrtek were using a cable that uses some form of crimping process, they should not be surprised it failed, they fail all the time.........yes I agree - fantastic pace!
Old 7 May 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1908516)   #87
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shimoda san is back! A great performance also by Johansson and the Barazi car was quickest in LMP2. Bad luck for them when the paddle shift broke, alas... but Vergers was literally flying on the first stint.
Old 8 May 2007, 01:10 (Ref:1908711)   #88
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Arena be at Petit Le Mans this year?
Old 11 May 2007, 02:33 (Ref:1910762)   #89
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
04s........do you mind me asking where abouts exactly the throttle cable failed?.....I suspect the cable came out of the barrel which links to the throttle linkage?.....if so this is a really common problem........I once found and used a company called RCS ringspan based in the UK, on both my single seater and the Ascari LMP900...... Gordon Risley was the sales chaps name.......the little barrel (about 6mm OD, 10mm long) featured tapered collets that gripped into the cable harder when more load was applied, a real clever, but simple piece of micro engineering that involved no crimping.

if Zyrtek were using a cable that uses some form of crimping process, they should not be surprised it failed, they fail all the time.........yes I agree - fantastic pace!

It is a very good idea to fit a positive stop at full throttle opening on engine and pedal sides, so that at a heavily applied full throttle application there isn't a monumental and ever increasing load being applied to the cable and other mechanicals of the system. It is only going to open so far, no matter how hard the driver stomps on it. It does require very careful adjustment and the driver will still b***h about it and use it as an excuse.
Old 11 May 2007, 05:41 (Ref:1910785)   #90
The Badger
Veteran

Are they not allowed to use a fly-by-wire throttle control system then ? Were they ever in sportscar racing ?
Old 11 May 2007, 14:07 (Ref:1911106)   #91
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Are they not allowed to use a fly-by-wire throttle control system then ? Were they ever in sportscar racing ?
2007 ACO LMP technical regulations

Quote:
5.4.2 Throttle
"LM"P1: Free
"LM"P2: Only a direct mechanical linkage (rod, cable) is permitted between the throttle pedal and the supply control system (fuel and/or air) of the engine.
Old 11 May 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1911150)   #92
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Mazda got a temporary exception from IMSA, because they had a lot of trouble with the throttle cable.
Old 16 May 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1914559)   #93
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung
2007 ACO LMP technical regulations
Wonder why they dont go that route then ?

Im working around cable swage's most of the time , and we never have issues with them , if so , its normally a "human" error .
Old 24 May 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1920420)   #94
The Badger
Veteran

DSC have a pic of the Zytek with some kinda air tunnel/gurney device on the side of the front wheel arch . Can anyone explain how this might work ?
Old 24 May 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1920483)   #95
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine it smoothes out the airflow around the front wheels and down the side of the car.

Car looks very nice, and good to hear they have the throttle cable problem sorted.
Old 24 May 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1920559)   #96
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I would imagine it smoothes out the airflow around the front wheels and down the side of the car.
it does look nice , but it also looks vulnerable to the odd bash too .
Old 24 May 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1920621)   #97
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any of these Zyteks destined to join the Creations in the ALMS? especially if they are supposed to be as fast as advertised.
Old 24 May 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1920623)   #98
The Badger
Veteran

No news or rumours about that , yet .
Old 24 May 2007, 23:46 (Ref:1920700)   #99
The Badger
Veteran

Fernandez has been at Zytek for a seat fitting and said that he hopes next year he will be back with Lowe's Fernandez Racing with an Acura .

Now , thats brilliant news ..... wish he could get his old sponsor back Tecate Beer , great colors !
Old 25 May 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1920895)   #100
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
DSC have a pic of the Zytek with some kinda air tunnel/gurney device on the side of the front wheel arch . Can anyone explain how this might work ?
It looks like some kind of device to take downforce off of the front. Given the shape of the splitter, they must be producing huge downforce at the front and it must be difficult to balance the car in a low drag set up. This issue ties in with the 'looseness' that the drivers mentioned when taking wing off to reduce that drag (for LM).