Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2007018)   #76
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
I concur

I'm trying to decide whether to go to Monza or Spa next year with some friends for a nice little motorsport holiday. I think it's got to be one of those two - just such special places.

As they are only 1 week apart agin next year, why not go to both?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 19:16 (Ref:2007020)   #77
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I would choose both, because if I could go to one of them surely I would be able to go to both.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2007022)   #78
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cor...now that is a good idea

I'm going to float it around folk I know and see if anyone is up for a mega-GP expedition. I know I am!
Old 8 Sep 2007, 20:54 (Ref:2007074)   #79
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
I concur

I'm trying to decide whether to go to Monza or Spa next year with some friends for a nice little motorsport holiday. I think it's got to be one of those two - just such special places.
Take it from me it's Monza every time, of the two. Monza has far more atmosphere than Spa.
From a drivers perspective it would be SPA, but as a spectator it has to be Monza, and do visit the old banked section. Try walking to the top of the banking, a great test of your fitness, the thort of cars whizzing around there is quite mind blowing!
Old 8 Sep 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2007077)   #80
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, Monza has much better atmosphere.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2007108)   #81
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Try walking to the top of the banking, a great test of your fitness, the thort of cars whizzing around there is quite mind blowing!
Getting to the top just presents you with another problem! I ruined a pair of jeans coming back down!

'twas worth it though:
Attached Thumbnails
b.JPG  
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:15 (Ref:2007110)   #82
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard some time ago there were plans to remove the old banking. Anyone knows more 'bout this?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2007114)   #83
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the ferraris are fuel right up imo, the macs are 2 or 3 stopping, and kimi didnt have the feeling of the t-car today so was off the pace. other than that..i think its another feerari 1-2
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2007119)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It won't be three stopping - that is just madness at Monza. One stop is best and everyone apart from the first few will do that, I guess. Kimi may be 1 stopping? Massa may be heavier, however I think most of the time difference can be explained by McLaren's speed at this track and their ability to get their tyres working on that one qualifying lap.

In many races this year the relative pace of the Ferrari's have improved in the race.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:40 (Ref:2007129)   #85
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My memory is failing me on this one, but in recent years people have gone to the two stop strategy more have they not?

I suppose it depends how the race works out. And with having to use both tyre options throughout a race, maybe some will be forced onto two stops to prevent running half the race on a tyre that may hurt their pace bad.

Certainly I think Ferrari are a little heavier and are going to be stronger come race day. But I don't think they planned on being that slow in qualifying and practice somehow.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:43 (Ref:2007136)   #86
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have generally gone on 2 stoppers since the introduction of qualifying on race fuels. Certainly the front runners have decided to qualify on less fuel to get the pole. It will be interesting tomorrow especially in the midfield with a variety of strategies especially with the 2 tyre rule. Ferrari are probably heavier but it seems they genuinely lack the pace to challenge Mclaren.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 22:45 (Ref:2007138)   #87
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A safety car period could definitely screw things up for some I feel.Not that I'd wish for a safety car,but it could certainly make things interesting.

And of course Ferrari will be saying that the 'Macca's' wouldn't be so fast if they hadn't bloody well gone and nicked our set up data.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 23:48 (Ref:2007188)   #88
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched qualifying. How great does Monza look compared to these new money making car parks we see bernie developing all over the 3rd world.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 23:52 (Ref:2007189)   #89
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's a great track which is only spoiled by possibly some of the most constrictive chicanery yet devised.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:01 (Ref:2007192)   #90
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It's a great track which is only spoiled by possibly some of the most constrictive chicanery yet devised.
I was going to make that point but i feel that even with the wiggly bits it still make the car parks look tame. However this generation of f1 cars look a breeze to drive compared to some previous incarnations, especially though Parabolica.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:03 (Ref:2007193)   #91
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Cars thundering along between the trees..All the history at this special place, in one of the "greatest countries" in the world..Love it!
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:06 (Ref:2007196)   #92
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Cars thundering along between the trees..All the history at this special place, in one of the "greatest countries" in the world..Love it!
Yes it's almost got the history of, say China or Turkey or possibly Malaysia.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:10 (Ref:2007199)   #93
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only chicane I don't like is the first one. Unnecessarily tight and horrid.

The second chicane has kerbs to jump, albeit not as high as they once were (and the tarmac runoff is horrible, as the GP2 race proved as everyone took to it).

The third chicane, Ascari.....beautiful.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2007201)   #94
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
The only chicane I don't like is the first one. Unnecessarily tight and horrid.

The second chicane has kerbs to jump, albeit not as high as they once were (and the tarmac runoff is horrible, as the GP2 race proved as everyone took to it).

For me it's the Lesmos. They used to be a real challenge for a driver.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2007202)   #95
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I never really thought of Ascari as being a chicane.

I miss the old Hochenheim too.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2007207)   #96
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Yes it's almost got the history of, say China or Turkey or possibly Malaysia.

You are spoiling my dream
Old 9 Sep 2007, 02:22 (Ref:2007246)   #97
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Kimi start from the pitlane using the spare car.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 02:37 (Ref:2007250)   #98
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Kimi is P5...
Old 9 Sep 2007, 04:27 (Ref:2007277)   #99
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
They have generally gone on 2 stoppers since the introduction of qualifying on race fuels. Certainly the front runners have decided to qualify on less fuel to get the pole. It will be interesting tomorrow especially in the midfield with a variety of strategies especially with the 2 tyre rule. Ferrari are probably heavier but it seems they genuinely lack the pace to challenge Mclaren.
I think it was 2004 when they first started qualifying with fuel, but the most common strategy was still a 3 stopper then, with the odd 2 stopper apart from those buried in the grid trying to jump ahead and then there was Schumachers 4 stopper in France. 2005 though they all basically went to a 2 stopper as the norm. The notable difference there was the lack of tyre changes, so only a need to refuel.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 06:54 (Ref:2007304)   #100
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
For me it's the Lesmos. They used to be a real challenge for a driver.
And they still are, especially the first. Fast, precise and with today's cars apparently flat out. Where my oldest friend wants his ashes thrown!