Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Apr 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3052049)   #976
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the nose (in front of the front wheels) being shorter, and longer/more pronounced side pods it does look better then the prototypes/mockups
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:38 (Ref:3052090)   #977
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder.......
Old 2 Apr 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3052329)   #978
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think it looks much weirder than the LMP900 Panozes when they first came out. You forget how ridiculous they looked - but I think we all remember them with affection.

It looks much better with wing mirrors too, and Nissan written on it. All of a sudden it looks a bit like and LMP car, minus the ring wing and a narrow track.

Us sportscar fans don't half make a fuss.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3052340)   #979
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Presser from Highcroft: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...a&e=5b830a4954
Old 2 Apr 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3052348)   #980
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beerholder.......
Fixed.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3052420)   #981
Gators
Rookie

United States
Mulberry,Florida
Gators should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that pic it looks like the Audi is a Great White shark and the DeltaWing like a baby seal
Old 2 Apr 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3052438)   #982
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
In that pic it looks like the Audi is a Great White shark and the DeltaWing like a baby seal
It is a baby seal.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3052471)   #983
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
sardine
Old 2 Apr 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3052500)   #984
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Careful now folks, we're not about to let this thread descend again into the trolling we've had here previously....

It's certainly quite a contrast though and there's something in that shark/seal analogy!

Quote:
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beerholder.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Fixed.
I like that......
Old 2 Apr 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3052605)   #985
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
sorry
Old 4 Apr 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3053324)   #986
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Another article by Gordon Kirby on the Delta Wing: http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no329.html. It contains a lot of background information how Michelin and Nissan got on board.

RML will help out Highcroft to run the car in Le Mans.

In the next two months they will test at a variety of smooth, fast European tracks, including Monza.

It is always interesting to read the feedback from the drivers on the revolutionary car concept:
Quote:
"Erik Comas was kind of skeptical," Dayton recalls. "He was a Nissan guy and happy to help them evaluate the car, but he wasn't too keen on it. But within two laps at Buttonwillow, which amounted to about 100 seconds in the car, he came in and said, 'Well, I can tell you three things for sure. One, it's absolutely the most stable car I've ever driven in a straight line. Two, the braking is phenomenal. And three, I've never experienced a car with better initial turn-in.'

"He immediately got totally infected with the car and just loves it. He was very curious and intrigued and likewise with Michael Krumm. In the little bit of time he spent in the car he was really excited about its potential."
Old 4 Apr 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3053337)   #987
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
A lot of words and humble pie will be eaten come mid-june by the nay-sayers
Old 4 Apr 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3053365)   #988
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Just remember this is a Nissan employee talking about a Nissan backed project.
I'm not saying the AMR One had similar unswerving praise, but there was a dearth of bad words said, right up till the embarrassing silence 20 minutes into LM24...

I don't say it's great, or awful, I have no idea! I'll tell you on the 17th of June, after 4PM CET...
Old 4 Apr 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3053368)   #989
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'm not saying the AMR One had similar unswerving praise, but there was a dearth of bad words said, right up till the embarrassing silence 20 minutes into LM24...

I don't say it's great, or awful, I have no idea! I'll tell you on the 17th of June, after 4PM CET...
Completely agree about it being a Nissan employee. I just find it interesting that you would choose to heap SUCH praise on a car from a PR standpoint, especially with something so experimental and with low expectations for a first run. It's not like they have rivals to mouth off against.

Like people have said the proof is in the lap times come June. I can't wait.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3053666)   #990
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

We're talking about the incident where they changed to an un-tested alternator pulley and it scuttled the whole thing, right?

One little, dinky thing that destroyed a huge amount of effort and investment.

If these guys put an un-tested part on for the race, they could get away with it (like teams usually do), or it could bite them like it did AMR.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3055537)   #991
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Why would they put an untested part on for the race? It's a daft thing to do and AMR paid the penalty for it. Can't see it happening.....
Old 9 Apr 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3055601)   #992
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Ayse, the AMR-One on the whole was a largely untested car And we know what happened there... Shame, shame AMR

Like you, I can't see that the DW guys would be so ignorant as to pull something like that--with as much crap as some have heaved on this project, they need all the ammunition they need to stick it to the naysayers, and a good showing at LM should do that hopefully.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who when he thinks of the term "delta wing" he thinks of stuff such as the Avro Vulcan...
Old 9 Apr 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3055605)   #993
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Between Highcroft and RML, I'd say there are enough qualified people around the D-Wing to make sure nothing stupid happens. You can't make luck, but you can make good decisions and both teams are capable in that regard.

(Not sure how involved Highcroft is anymore, or how many folks are left there.)
Old 9 Apr 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3055669)   #994
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Why would they put an untested part on for the race? It's a daft thing to do and AMR paid the penalty for it. Can't see it happening.....
Well , we have seen this before . Does sound kinda weird though .

Sauber Mercedes changed their something big in their gearbox in 1989 , just before the race . They say it was untested , but really , I take that with a pinch of salt .
Old 9 Apr 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3055887)   #995
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This project has had an incredible amount of luck so far in just getting a car to present at Sebring, considering various parties were making parts for a car they hadn't actually seen yet.

Hopefully they realise they can't keep getting through luck like this else they won't have any left by race day - I'd play it dead safe from here.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3055902)   #996
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This project has had an incredible amount of luck so far in just getting a car to present at Sebring, considering various parties were making parts for a car they hadn't actually seen yet.

Hopefully they realise they can't keep getting through luck like this else they won't have any left by race day - I'd play it dead safe from here.
What luck?

Do you know anything about All American Racers?

They often tried 'outside the box' stuff in Indycars. It's Gurney's interest in innovation that is the reason they got involved. He's also mentioned that when they got involved, he thought the design was 90% done and they were mostly going to focus on building it, and as they got into it they found there was a ton of stuff left to design, and they jumped in with both feet.

That's not luck. It's lots of late nights and hard work.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3055904)   #997
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what are the chances that Alex Gurney is the 3rd driver at Le Mans. I know there are a bunch of Grand Am conflicts around then so it might not be an option.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3055912)   #998
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
what are the chances that Alex Gurney is the 3rd driver at Le Mans. I know there are a bunch of Grand Am conflicts around then so it might not be an option.
The Grand-Am (Indycar support) race at Detroit is on the same weekend as the LM test day, and Gurney would need to do rookie laps on the test day, so... not an option.

Although... Jaap van Lagen was given a dispensation this year, he didn't participate in the test day in 2011, he was supposed to qualify as a rookie, but he did race for Prospeed in the main event.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3055914)   #999
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be nice to see another American in the car since it is the first American prototype to race at Le Mans since the Panoz LMP1 (which is debatable how American it is) and the Riley and Scott's.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3056350)   #1000
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
What luck?

Do you know anything about All American Racers?

They often tried 'outside the box' stuff in Indycars. It's Gurney's interest in innovation that is the reason they got involved. He's also mentioned that when they got involved, he thought the design was 90% done and they were mostly going to focus on building it, and as they got into it they found there was a ton of stuff left to design, and they jumped in with both feet.

That's not luck. It's lots of late nights and hard work.
Michelin were making and developing tires for a car that didn't exist.

If each musician practised individually in an orchestra, and played the piece perfectly the first time they've been thrown together, I'd call that luck.

I agree, there's a combination of hard work and luck.