Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Oct 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3466204)   #976
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I have to question the purpose of this.

Dude must have gotten a screaming deal from Shank, otherwise why not just upgrade his Riley-Lexus to IMSA spec? Surely that would have cost just as much?

And if he did pay full market price why not by a P2 car? Many teams will be getting rid of their open-tops for next year and a P2 car might be grandfathered in past 2017, a DP certainly will not be.

Somethin's shady about this whole thing to me.
The purpose is the guy wants to race. Shank wasn't going to use the chassis so he sold it. No conspiracy, just business and passion.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3466209)   #977
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The purpose is the guy wants to race. Shank wasn't going to use the chassis so he sold it. No conspiracy, just business and passion.
No doubt. Probably shouldn't have phrased it that way. I just don't see why he bought a car that has a foreseeable future of 2.5 years.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3466210)   #978
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
No doubt. Probably shouldn't have phrased it that way. I just don't see why he bought a car that has a foreseeable future of 2.5 years.
Because as it stands right now, DP is still the winning formula, and probably also easier to drive competitively for gentleman drivers, with less of a need for high risk divebombs in traffic, etc due to the plus in horse power.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3466219)   #979
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought i read that they have 2 DP cars. One is to race with and the other is the Gen 1 car for testing.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3466234)   #980
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
It's also probably a bit cheaper to buy, especially second hand from a team that has few other prospects to sell it.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3466235)   #981
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or hey maybe it's just the car he wanted,it's his money.....jeez....it's ok for people to like DPs!
Old 20 Oct 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3466822)   #982
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...gram-for-2015/
"Turner said they don’t have any current plans to return to the TUDOR Championship GTD class next year, although it’s understood the team is finalizing a program for the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge."

After winning the GTD title but losing Paul Dalla Lana to Aston, Turner is moving on to PWC with a full-time two-car effort. They raced there last year, but with one car and not full-time I guess.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3466844)   #983
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
S365 has a GT class silly season update. Nothing too silly there, but GTLM + GTD could be under 20 cars for the season. Yikes.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3466847)   #984
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
S365 has a GT class silly season update. Nothing too silly there, but GTLM + GTD could be under 20 cars for the season. Yikes.
I hope that DOES NOT give IMSA the excuse to put in LMPC into the GT cars for the VIR race. The appeal of that race will significantly decrease if it is not all GT.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3466850)   #985
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I hope that DOES NOT give IMSA the excuse to put in LMPC into the GT cars for the VIR race. The appeal of that race will significantly decrease if it is not all GT.
So first you want the GTD teams to leave and then you complain about the potential consequences!?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3466851)   #986
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
But PC is the #2 class!

(Pun not intended, but )
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3466856)   #987
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The whole series is falling apart. It's a great time to be a sports car fan
Old 20 Oct 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3466876)   #988
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dagys tends to write those silly season figures over positively taking every single rumor he heard in the bar into count, so for him to come up with such grim numbers means dark times for the series.

One can get bit of perverse joy and satisfaction if this empire starts rumbling down.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3466879)   #989
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Dagys tends to write those silly season figures over positively taking every single rumor he heard in the bar into count, so for him to come up with such grim numbers means dark times for the series.

One can get bit of perverse joy and satisfaction if this empire starts rumbling down.
Not too sure about that... Dagys' bias RE TUSC or before that Grand Am seems to run the other direction....
Old 20 Oct 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3466883)   #990
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Ever wonder who Shank sold one of his DPs to earlier this year?

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10995...p-breaks-cover

It's a Riley chassis running a 5liter BMW engine in it.
Maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but is it significant that the car is shown as #60? Isn't that Shanks number? Yes, I know that is an easy change before the Roar, maybe they just borrowed a number plate from Shank to make it look official?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3466890)   #991
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MSR used to run the #6 and the #60, so maybe he made a deal for the old number, or maybe he left the number plate on the old chassis and the new guy stuck it on over the new wrap to make it look more official.

As for as this portending a Shankless future, I am pretty sure that is not intended .. I think Michael Shank said he would be back, and maybe with a P2?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3466953)   #992
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
The whole series is falling apart. It's a great time to be a sports car fan
It's sad to see how IMSA has crumbled recently, but it is a great time to be a Pirelli World Challenge fan!
Old 21 Oct 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3466961)   #993
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
It's sad to see how IMSA has crumbled recently, but it is a great time to be a Pirelli World Challenge fan!
IMSA hasn't crumbled, but thanks for your concern. Next year TUSC will still have a healthy field of cars. Turner left cause the financing went somewhere else. NGT? That's suddenly a top flight organization cause they are REAL GT3 now? The Seth Nieman experience might be next? Oh noes!!

One thing those PWC "standalone events"(fancy way of saying track rental) have going is the fan experience will be top notch. Each fan will get personal time with a driver and some drivers won't have any fans to talk to.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 02:03 (Ref:3466967)   #994
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
IMSA hasn't crumbled, but thanks for your concern. Next year TUSC will still have a healthy field of cars. Turner left cause the financing went somewhere else. NGT? That's suddenly a top flight organization cause they are REAL GT3 now? The Seth Nieman experience might be next? Oh noes!!

One thing those PWC "standalone events"(fancy way of saying track rental) have going is the fan experience will be top notch. Each fan will get personal time with a driver and some drivers won't have any fans to talk to.
by Gordon Kirby:
"The Tudor United SportsCar seres. The TUSC has a number of things going for it--a good schedule of races, a brace of committed manufacturers who want to race sports and GT cars, and plenty of willing teams--but it's lost the spectacle and technical allure that the ALMS briefly enjoyed and has created plenty of ambivalence among America's traditional sports car fans.
Those fans are only too aware of the spectacular hybrid LMP1 cars that race at Le Mans and in the World Endurance Championship and would like to see something similar in America. It seems to me that as time goes by the WEC and TUSC will continue down divergent paths and the TUSC, like IndyCar, will be consigned forever to lingering on as nothing more than provincial backwaters. Again, I hope I'm wrong. "
http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no456.html
Old 21 Oct 2014, 02:22 (Ref:3466973)   #995
Maelochs
Veteran

Mr. Putz: Crapping on PWC because TUSC is losing teams and PWC is gaining them makes a person look petty and bitter.

TUSC might not be "crumbling" but it is losing good teams and good fans--fans who can indeed tell first-rate from second-rate (or less) cars which run in the Tudor P-class.

PWC Will offer a great fan experience, you are right about that--and it is a series which is gaining, not losing fans (something Tudor execs can only dream of.) Not dumping on TUSC when I say that ... looking at the various internet boards, and the attendance at the races.

PWC doesn't offer longer races, and the one unfortunate aspect of the sprint format is that when a bunch of cars invariably screw up the standing start, a quarter of the race goes up in smoke and carbon fiber.

The rest of the time, when the cars are actually racing, is as good as any other racing series I have seen. I might not be buying a ticket to the next PWC event (no stand-alones near me) but I will watch them live or televised whenever I can because they offer a really good product.

Tudor has great tracks and some great teams ... and enough lame crap to offset all that.

Say ... did you see the 2014 Rolex race at Road Atlanta on October 4? I thought Rolex was defunct because no one much wanted to watch it?

Thinking history won't repeat itself ... isn't that supposed to guarantee it will?
Old 21 Oct 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3467082)   #996
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but is it significant that the car is shown as #60? Isn't that Shanks number? Yes, I know that is an easy change before the Roar, maybe they just borrowed a number plate from Shank to make it look official?
That's just a picture of the 60 car since that's the one this team bought. I don't think we will ever see these guys again after Sebring. Heck, they might disappear after Daytona.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3467106)   #997
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
In which case, let's embrace having an extra oddball entry for Daytona.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3467137)   #998
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
In which case, let's embrace having an extra oddball entry for Daytona.
And (driver depending) this entry should have a good chance of finishing. Plus, it brings another engine noise to the party. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3467149)   #999
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
I'll be a 3rd driver in the NAEC. The team will release more details when they're ready....

-mike
Old 21 Oct 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3467158)   #1000
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I'll be a 3rd driver in the NAEC. The team will release more details when they're ready....

-mike
In a factory GTLM ride right?

Great to see you on track Mike, and looking forward to the PWC 2015 season (hopefully).