Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:12 (Ref:4191443)   #976
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dexter Patterson is off to the GT4 European Series:
https://gt-place.com/2024/01/11/gt4-...tet-mit-lotus/
Old 11 Jan 2024, 15:36 (Ref:4191466)   #977
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Dexter Patterson is off to the GT4 European Series:
https://gt-place.com/2024/01/11/gt4-...tet-mit-lotus/
Not surprised as he’s been out testing GT machinery lately.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 16:13 (Ref:4191473)   #978
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcars.net/2024/01/will-powell-returns-to-tcr-uk-for-full-season-campaign

Powell off to TCR

I know he didn’t do a full BTCC season last year but he started it…
Old 11 Jan 2024, 16:56 (Ref:4191480)   #979
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
https://www.touringcars.net/2024/01/will-powell-returns-to-tcr-uk-for-full-season-campaign

Powell off to TCR

I know he didn’t do a full BTCC season last year but he started it…
Yes, posted and discussed in TCR UK 2024 thread. There's some very decent people behind his programme (Bert Taylor and JAS Motorsport) which should give him a chance of a few good results.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 17:15 (Ref:4191486)   #980
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.btcc.net/live-audio/

Reading too much into David Addison’s interview:

- suggests “one or two” drivers of good quality potentially returning to championship. Presumably one is Huff, but sounds like there are others in discussions.
. - Rowbottom also alludes to a “big name” (could be Huff again) and very much sounds like he’ll be back at NAPA.

- mentions a couple of times that potentially “one or two teams may not be coming back” - didn’t sound like he was talking about Hard, having already happened. I think One is the only team that very little has been heard on?

Last edited by Evantra; 11 Jan 2024 at 17:28.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 17:28 (Ref:4191490)   #981
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
https://www.btcc.net/live-audio/

- suggests “one or two” drivers of good quality returning to championship. Presumably one is Huff, but sounds like there are others in discussions.

- mentions a couple of times that potentially “one or two teams may not be coming back” - didn’t sound like he was talking about Hard, having already happened. I think One is the only team that very little has been heard on?
Following on the trend of reading too much into things... With the "one or two" drivers of good quality returning - I would also presume Huff is one of those and perhaps he was including the already confirmed Chris Smiley (former race winner, TCR UK champion would to me meet the definition of "good quality")? If not, and given the never-ending suggestions on forums that Dynamics are coming back, let's say he's also talking about Gordon Shedden!

One Motorsport haven't made the news recently but still post things on social media and commented in December that their "three entries are locked in for next year's #BTCC campaign".
Old 11 Jan 2024, 18:03 (Ref:4191493)   #982
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
suggests “one or two” drivers of good quality potentially returning to championship.
Is it time for the annual Tim Harvey / Jason Plato / Volvo rumour?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 18:29 (Ref:4191499)   #983
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Is it time for the annual Tim Harvey / Jason Plato / Volvo rumour?
He managed to slip the Paul O’Neill and Kia one in there too!
Old 11 Jan 2024, 19:21 (Ref:4191501)   #984
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Evantra;4191486]https://www.btcc.net/live-audio/

- suggests “one or two” drivers of good quality potentially returning to championship. Presumably one is Huff, but sounds like there are others in discussions.
. - Rowbottom also alludes to a “big name” (could be Huff again) and very much sounds like he’ll be back at NAPA.

Huff had a test with Speedworks at the end of the season at Croft. If he’s alluding to another I’d like to think it’ll be Andrew Jordan, surely he can’t stay retired at such a young age forever..
Old 11 Jan 2024, 19:36 (Ref:4191502)   #985
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You would reckon it’d be Shedden. After all, he was due to be on the grid last year until Dynamics lost sponsors.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 19:40 (Ref:4191503)   #986
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
If he’s alluding to another I’d like to think it’ll be Andrew Jordan, surely he can’t stay retired at such a young age forever..
Given the fact Jordan runs the hugely successful JRT business which takes considerable time and commitment, has a family, probably enjoys restoring and running countless people's historic racing cars more than the annual begging for BTCC sponsorship money and the BTCC politics, and that when he does have the time to race now (Goodwood MM and Revival, Spa, Daytona Classic etc.) he does so largely for fun or as a Pro for JRTs customers - I find it incredibly hard to believe that he has the time or interest in returning to the BTCC.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 19:47 (Ref:4191504)   #987
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we not change the annual rumour to being Andrew Jordan in a Kia?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 20:03 (Ref:4191506)   #988
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
You would reckon it’d be Shedden. After all, he was due to be on the grid last year until Dynamics lost sponsors.
I don’t think there’s much chance him being anywhere other than dynamics, plus he’s only been gone a year. I don’t think it’d be that big a piece of news if he was to return for the second time in 4 years
Old 11 Jan 2024, 20:10 (Ref:4191507)   #989
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is Jordan brought up all the time despite him saying publicly he won't come back to BTCC.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:13 (Ref:4191513)   #990
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
One Motorsport haven't made the news recently but still post things on social media and commented in December that their "three entries are locked in for next year's #BTCC campaign".
From what I've heard, One Motorsport have shut up shop. If that true, plus questions over what happens with the Moffat/CBM TBLs, things aren't looking good.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:34 (Ref:4191515)   #991
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From what I've heard, One Motorsport have shut up shop. If that true, plus questions over what happens with the Moffat/CBM TBLs, things aren't looking good.
Where you heard that?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:34 (Ref:4191516)   #992
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Worrying, if perhaps not completely non-surprising. Seems too late for any outside interest, and perhaps for extra chassis to be built up even if the TBLs were distributed around existing teams.

I’m not all that convinced anything will happen with the Moffat / Boardley TBLs either.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 22:19 (Ref:4191521)   #993
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm. Cook to Toyota? Apparently they have an all new driver lineup.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 22:48 (Ref:4191524)   #994
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems too late for any outside interest, and perhaps for extra chassis to be built up even if the TBLs were distributed around existing teams.
There is absolutely no-one waiting around trying to get TBLs this year. If you could show you were serious you'd already have had one in the initial allocation. They were already two down on the initial list, and major question marks around the fate of up to eight of the remaining allocation.

I'd say there's maybe only five teams I'd be willing to bet the house on actually making it to the grid this year. (WSR, AmD/Motorbase, Excelr8, PMR & Restart). There's a whole lot of question marks elsewhere.

What's also quite telling about the less-than rosy financial picture at the moment is how few new builds are out there. WSR's cars are 5 years old at this point, with the exception of Turkington who got a new chassis in 2022, similar picture at Ford, where only Sutton and Cammish's cars are actually recent builds (both 2022). Most of the BTC Hondas are 5 years old at this point too. Having a new build isn't the be-all and end-all, Ash Sutton and Tom Ingram won the championship in chassis in their second season, and Turkington in a 3 year old car back in 2018 and Shedden a four year Civic in 2015, but the majority of titles have been taken by newer machinery. (4/12 NGTC titles have been won in chassis that wasn't new for that year), but it certainly looks like there's not going to be many new builds appearing this year.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 23:54 (Ref:4191529)   #995
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Josh Cook to Toyota would be a good move for both. BTC are on the decline since their peak in 2021. Toyota are also stagnating but seem to have more potential to jump to the top. From Toyota's perspective, Cook is better than anyone they have got at the moment. Rob Huff may be a World Touring Car Champion, but I would pick Josh Cook over him for my BTCC team in 2024. I hope they are both at Speedworks next year, along with Ricky Collard who improved significantly last season and definitely deserves another season. George Gamble had an awful year but I wouldn't mind seeing him back as well because he showed potential in 2022.

Rory Butcher needs to leave Toyota, in my opinion. He showed huge potential in the MG and the Honda at AmD, and looked to be realising it with his great 2020 season in the Ford. Possibly that car was actually the best that season considering Ollie Jackson also had by far his best season in the BTCC, but Butcher fared similarly to Jake Hill the year later and Hill is now the clear third-best in the championship. But since Rory Butcher joined Toyota he has been inconsistent and flashes of the Butcher we saw at Ford have been few and far between. He should move teams, in my opinion, and with Motorbase and WSR clearly out of the question, I wonder if there might be any space for him at Excelr8? If not, Team Dynamics might be an option although I think Bobby Thompson has great potential and a team of him and Gordon Shedden would be perfect. I really hope Butcher stays on the grid at some team.

WSR look to be keeping Jake Hill, Colin Turkington and Adam Morgan, and I strongly expect Andrew Watson to drive the fourth BMW with Stephen Jelley retiring.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 07:24 (Ref:4191540)   #996
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post

Huff had a test with Speedworks at the end of the season at Croft.
No, Huff was there to set a reference time for them to evaluate other drivers. I wouldn't regard it as a test, and certainly not an indication that he'll be racing for them next season.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 07:25 (Ref:4191541)   #997
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
and I strongly expect Andrew Watson to drive the fourth BMW with Stephen Jelley retiring.
Jelley is definitely retiring, but I think Collard is favourite for that seat.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 08:04 (Ref:4191542)   #998
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Jelley is definitely retiring, but I think Collard is favourite for that seat.
I could also see Huff in that seat
Old 12 Jan 2024, 08:11 (Ref:4191543)   #999
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
I could also see Huff in that seat
Difference being Huff wants to be paid or earn a wage, he’s not known for having access to huge funds/sponsors, otherwise he’d of been back before. Collard on the other hand, we know they can afford a WSR as his dad did for many years!
Old 12 Jan 2024, 08:13 (Ref:4191544)   #1000
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Difference being Huff wants to be paid or earn a wage, he’s not known for having access to huge funds/sponsors, otherwise he’d of been back before. Collard on the other hand, we know they can afford a WSR as his dad did for many years!
That's a good point.