Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jan 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3790619)   #1001
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at hyundai and their WRC / TCR builds. Done purely to change the opinion of buyers to think of them as a more sporty model... and to backup their introduction of the N-series hot hatches.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3790626)   #1002
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Look at hyundai and their WRC / TCR builds. Done purely to change the opinion of buyers to think of them as a more sporty model... and to backup their introduction of the N-series hot hatches.
They sell the TCR car. The customer motorsport division has to stand on its own two legs by providing a competitive car that is also profitable.

Not purely to raise the i30N road car profile, but has an added bonus.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3790627)   #1003
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its the car companies that are only selling small amounts at the mo that would actually spend money on a motorsports project.

Nearly all manufacturer backed motor racing comes out of marketing budgets. A car selling really well doesn't need much spending on it... Where as a low volume car needs to be in front of people... therefore gets the budget spent on it. (most of the time anyway)(
Cars don't sell really well by accident. It takes decades to build up brand awareness, perception and loyalty. Then there are marketing campaigns around specific models. It's just that the majority of manufacturers spend their marketing budgets through different channels away from motorsport. Sadly.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3790632)   #1004
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happily I think we can be fairly confident that Epps has a drive -

"Chatting to Hydy @AlanHydeStudio at #ASI last year 🎙 It’s only a week away and I’ll be there for sure. 😎 Who’s going?"
(On Twitter, with the official BTCC account tagged)
Old 4 Jan 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3790642)   #1005
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That will be good news if that’s the case, he improved last season and deserves another crack
Old 4 Jan 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3790643)   #1006
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All that says to me is that he's going to the AI show as are 99% of drivers still looking for a drive.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3790645)   #1007
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Its the car companies that are only selling small amounts at the mo that would actually spend money on a motorsports project.

Nearly all manufacturer backed motor racing comes out of marketing budgets. A car selling really well doesn't need much spending on it... Where as a low volume car needs to be in front of people... therefore gets the budget spent on it. (most of the time anyway)(

I think that you may need to explain that philosophy to BMW, Mercedes, Toyota. Porsche, Honda, Renault and so on and so forth. They obviously didn't get the memo; possibly got lost in the mail?
Old 4 Jan 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3790650)   #1008
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MG being referenced by Mr Hollamby https://twitter.com/AmDessex/status/948923861231431683
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3790656)   #1009
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that you may need to explain that philosophy to BMW, Mercedes, Toyota. Porsche, Honda, Renault and so on and so forth. They obviously didn't get the memo; possibly got lost in the mail?
Context my dear friend.... my comment was around why small volumes car sellers are bother about racing in the BTCC... ala MG and Subaru.

What BMW, Mercedes, Toyota. Porsche, Honda, Renault do is totally different and about continuing their brand globally... not trying to improve it on a small regional level.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3790657)   #1010
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that’s interesting if Hollamby is mentioning MGs, especially as the Audis would be a better bet
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3790659)   #1011
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I sort of see where you are coming from, but struggle to see how the Civic fits into that model.

A high volume car, selling in massive numbers, from a manufacturer that is also selling on a big scale.
Yet - Honda still continue to back the running of the Civic (both Type-R and Si in recent years) in the BTCC.

I know there is an argument over how much Honda actually spend, but if it was such small amounts then TD would not have run the estate for a season.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3790660)   #1012
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well that’s interesting if Hollamby is mentioning MGs, especially as the Audis would be a better bet
It's a 4 car audi and mg effort.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3790663)   #1013
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
All that says to me is that he's going to the AI show as are 99% of drivers still looking for a drive.
Well there is a press release, so I expect a ride announcement: whether BTCC or elsewhere.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3790665)   #1014
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's a 4 car audi and mg effort.
Disappointing that they will be on the grid. Good luck to whoever is piloting them!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3790669)   #1015
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
The best car many years ago...! Last year proved that they were really not competitive - just hope it will turn out good for them. Honestly, I didn't think AMD were a big enough team to expand.

Not sure how it fits with his 'Christmas Conundrum' either?
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3790670)   #1016
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
http://www.autosportinternational.com/latest-show-announcements/btcc-champions-to-celebrate-diamond-anniversary-with-the-fans-at-our-show

Doesn't look like Plato will be though...
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3790671)   #1017
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
The best car many years ago...! Last year proved that they were really not competitive - just hope it will turn out good for them. Honestly, I didn't think AMD were a big enough team to expand.

If the comments about ownership over the past few pages are true, then it is mainly a manning issue, but some of the guys from 888 would probably move across too
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3790672)   #1018
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
http://www.autosportinternational.com/latest-show-announcements/btcc-champions-to-celebrate-diamond-anniversary-with-the-fans-at-our-show

Doesn't look like Plato will be though...
He hasn't been apart of the stage stuff for a while. If you've ever been.... having the champs on stage nattering is a regular thing.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3790674)   #1019
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:

How so? More cars and less weekends.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3790675)   #1020
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
He hasn't been apart of the stage stuff for a while. If you've ever been.... having the champs on stage nattering is a regular thing.
It's a shame because he's very entertaining. I think it was 08 on one of the trade days I saw him on stage with Darren Turner and Martin Byford and the three of them were clearly still half cut from the night before!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3790691)   #1021
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just playing devils advocate for the moment, I'm in no way a fan of MG. But would it be fair to say that perhaps the cars weren't done justice by the team they were run by in 2017? There were only 888 in all but name, they were pretty much just run by what was BKR in 2016 I think. Perhaps if they were refreshed over the winter they could still be a force to be reckoned with in the right hands? After all the NGTC rules don't really reward developing a car, and it's more about just trying to achieve the best setup possible over a weekend (Jack Goff a case in point, finding a lot of time mid season, by going in a different direction setup wise). So other than making a car as close to the base weight as possible or reinventing the wheel (hi Subaru!), you can run a car for many seasons. Obviously the cars would have to be completely revamped to correct the damage that has been inflicted on them in the last couple of years.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3790693)   #1022
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
It was as if they were just being run to satisfy the Mg contract and not lose the licences.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3790702)   #1023
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Disappointing that they will be on the grid. Good luck to whoever is piloting them!
Maybe I’ll stick with my guess 😉

I do think they were just being run to keep the contract with MG satisfied & retain the TBL’s as mentioned in other posts. I do think we could see a more experienced driver in at AmD too!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3790711)   #1024
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Happily I think we can be fairly confident that Epps has a drive -

"Chatting to Hydy @AlanHydeStudio at #ASI last year 🎙 It’s only a week away and I’ll be there for sure. 😎 Who’s going?"
(On Twitter, with the official BTCC account tagged)
Now @SPINE_OPTICS on Twitter have announced they are sponsoring him for his 2018 BTCC campaign
Old 4 Jan 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3790712)   #1025
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
How so? More cars and less weekends.
Never mind, you're right, I just got confused...

Maybe it's just my brain trying to pretend this won't happen!