Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3878020)   #1001
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
In fact I'd say that basically a SLR is a pale copy of a Cheetah with a kind of Tarzan at wheel… Or is it a Gillet Vertigo? Please, Mike feel free to correct me if you think the Tarzan reference is not period correct !

'F course, using a QZERTY makes you faster! Well done, Robin…………
Cheetah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oph4Ntc_yI

I always liked this back in the day when presented in the US racing magazines and similar.

Road & Track?

Last edited by grantp; 23 Jan 2019 at 19:46.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3878022)   #1002
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Would it be a TVR I guess the ref could be a barrow pushed by Hulk! Ha no, not Hulk, always had troubles with the green color. More seriously, there are only 3 very different and easy to spot SLR's. One is green. one is red. One is shiny. Simple like that? No around 100 copies will be around soon…
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:29 (Ref:3878023)   #1003
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey Will sounds like you had a ball. Nice to see you so excited, keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3878026)   #1004
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes Grant a Cheetah is just amazing I love this car even though finding it of little interest on a track. Do you like the first version - '92 I guess- of the Gillet Vertigo too?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3878029)   #1005
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (198).png
Views:	9
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	52477 Is it true that you have some of that white cold stuff in Blighty ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3878030)   #1006
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Hey Will sounds like you had a ball. Nice to see you so excited, keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I did!😁
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3878032)   #1007
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Is it true that you have some of that white cold stuff in Blighty ?
No, it isn't. In fact, in prevision of "ya-no-wat" they even stopped the wind! In those conditions they should stop fart at France but they can't help!
Old 23 Jan 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3878043)   #1008
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In fact I'd say that basically a SLR is a pale copy of a Cheetah…
I’d say that the only real common feature is the long bonnet (or hood on the Cheetah ). In the Morgan’s case it was because the body had to fit the ‘hard points’ of the +4 chassis. The SLRs also have considerably longer front and rear overhangs than the American beast. I am reminded of that when I load one into my shuttle or into the truck!

Not sure which car came first, but the earliest SLR (Triumph) I think hit the track in 1962, and given that the cars were hand built several thousand miles across the Atlantic from the Cheetah, I suggest any resemblance is ‘entirely co-incidental’.....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3878105)   #1009
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Talking about co-incindence is always fun when the battle is over. For instance it was said a Panhard 24 CT was seen "around" Chrysler premises before the Corvair was born and a Citroën DS probably inspired Rover engineers -not designers- for the lovely P6.
When talking about design, I hope the numerous Alfista together with me will shout that the best of the '60s has to be awarded to the Giulia with no doubt. Not only because its Cx was fantastic but the designers used a trick, hard to spot at first glance, "une coquetterie". When heading to the car, seen from front or rear, you can barely notice any pillar. Hope its clear if not I count on a lot of help. C'on guys! Gérard, ex-fan dé l'echcudéria del Bordello
Old 24 Jan 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3878112)   #1010
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve always been a Giulia fan, and would have one over a Cortina any day! Dion Kr in the bottle green car embedded in my memory....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3878121)   #1011
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Likewise, If I was starting again at any time in the last ten years I'd have never bought a Cortina! Bloody things seem to be joined to me at the hip now! The GT is a really good match for one as well, have had some great races with the Kremers in the past, and Ben S in his when he had it. And Simon D in his sprint GT in the olden days as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’ve always been a Giulia fan, and would have one over a Cortina any day! Dion Kr in the bottle green car embedded in my memory....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3878124)   #1012
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, I wish you have the opportunity to drive a TI Super, we have one around a strictly genuine well preserved car, ex-Masoero. If I'm right it was homologated as a GT only but looking at the Tour de France Automobile '63 shows that Fernand Masoero finished at the 4th place behind three GTO's. Not bad for an almost original car!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:29 (Ref:3878125)   #1013
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Zef' If I had to chose now, I'd buy a Cortina right away!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3878126)   #1014
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Talking of Italian cars, I wonder if (considering the value) we’ll see this on track somewhere. Eligible for Global Endurance Legends!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...te-ferrari-f40
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3878131)   #1015
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I can tell you I do know the team principal and that he received numerous phone calls about the chosen color…*Blue and "cheval cabré" was a new choice!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3878137)   #1016
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Attachment 52477 Is it true that you have some of that white cold stuff in Blighty ?
Looks like you're prepared for it wearing full Geordie skiing kit!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3878139)   #1017
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
E.B, searching infos on behalf of a bloke, I just found that some Goggomobil's were produced by Buckle Motors, Sidney. Even the tiny Transporter! Probably the Dart fiberglass body didn't rust. Do you have some around? Easy to slide into a container…
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:34 (Ref:3878144)   #1018
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Talking of Italian cars, I wonder if (considering the value) we’ll see this on track somewhere. Eligible for Global Endurance Legends!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...te-ferrari-f40
More likely to do the demos althouh a f40 did race in the masters series last yeara.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3878163)   #1019
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
More likely to do the demos althouh a f40 did race in the masters series last yeara.
Not sure why it would do the demos and not race. By the time you’ve paid for everything not going be any cost saving. Maybe you’re thinking that because of the car’s perceived value? That could put a few off, but my guess is, not someone that can afford that asking price! More likely the car will go to a Ferrari collector, and sit in a museum somewhere with the rest of his ‘stable’. Would be pleased to be proved wrong though...
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3878165)   #1020
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
E.B, searching infos on behalf of a bloke, I just found that some Goggomobil's were produced by Buckle Motors, Sidney. Even the tiny Transporter! Probably the Dart fiberglass body didn't rust. Do you have some around? Easy to slide into a container…
Hehehe yes indeed, Buckle Motors in Sydney made about 700 of them.... they imported the running gear, chassis, engine etc and produced the fibreglass body gearbox, from moulds made from a German made car they imported.

They also made the Carryall transporter, based on the Dart chassis, but the body of the Aussie made Carryall was different to Europe.

Buckle was founded back in the 1920's aqs a car sales business, acting over the years as Australian agents / distributors for just about every brand you can think of. Local production came many years later when Bill Buckle saw adding local content as a way to avoid import duties.

Im not sure if the Dart Cabriolet ever existed in Europe or whether it was only here

They even made their own Buckle GT based on a '55 Ford Zephyr. They did many specials as well.

The company still exists today, acting as a dealer for Toyota, Volkswagen and Subaru, although I believe the family sold out the main business years ago, and went into making 'specials' from other road cars as Bill Buckle Auto Conversions.

A fascinating guy, you can read more about Bill Buckle all here on the Glas club website. He died early in the piece but Bill Jnr took over the business.

https://www.glasclub.de/index.php/en...-under-license

A company call Finlay Motors were Melbourne agents for Buckle.... More info and pics of Goggomobils of differing types made in Aus here:

http://www.finlaybrothershistory.info/page43.html

or even here is a good history of the business

https://www.billbuckle.com.au/about-us/history

Getting back to the Dart, there is still one very famous original one here. Shannons Insurance, the go to company for Historic car insurance, and sponsors of our (Shannons) Nationals championships plus others involvements always attend the Historic meetings with a big presence, and use one as the focus of their TV advertising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZR6mYnob5g

The car is used for display purposes mainly I think.

Shannons are also very big in collectable car auctions.
https://www.shannons.com.au

Gérard, sorry to give you so much to read! :wink:

Last edited by E.B; 24 Jan 2019 at 10:38.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3878170)   #1021
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha ben voilÃ*, il suffisait de demander et Bob's your uncle! Thanks for pics and infos, I find they are moving (upside down as should!). I'd bet the Dart was Aussie only. Hummm, just out of my curiosity you name a strange Gaga-immobil model, Toyota. Aint they supposed to build fridges only? Or did they invent the potato masher, now you ask me I wonder…
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3878171)   #1022
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehehehe Toyota, aka here Toymotor

Unfortunately they sell more cars here now than double pretty much Ford and Holden combined, and are market leader by double anything else.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3878172)   #1023
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not too sure the Giulia Super/Ti is much better looking than a Cortina but the Alfa Giulia Sprint GT beats it hands down. A beautiful shape/design in the mold of the Ferrari 250GTO.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3878174)   #1024
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Good news for Mike B; PV in Norwich safe from closure for the time being.

Not so good for John E; Baldock Services branch to close!

What surprises me is that some of the locations in London that are being closed are situated where I would think that they would have been well placed, such as Kensington Church Street and Covent Garden. Appreciate that the rents are probably sky high, but would have thought that the potential footfall would have compensated.
That's a shame as it really was a pleasant little haven amongst all the hub-hub in there. I'll blame the east European on the coffee machine who managed to get both my order & the lady's in front of me completely wrong at the first attempt. Meant she ended up with a lot of surplus cups of coffee but no doubt they could fix that in the accounts!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3878182)   #1025
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Not too sure the Giulia Super/Ti is much better looking than a Cortina but the Alfa Giulia Sprint GT beats it hands down. A beautiful shape/design in the mold of the Ferrari 250GTO.
Are you sure? If you mean the TZ1, OK lets go for it, but the Giulia Sprint…

John, what about the Giulia TI and the beautiful design of its pillar? I wonder why I ask this to a guy asking for a good coffee in a Church or a Covent. Would it be holy water…*