Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3940395)   #1026
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
oh really ? anyone remember the RS 500 cup
Wow - a single picture with 7 cars from a field of >30 shown is used as an argument for lack of variety?

Let's be honest here:
Gp A was dominated in 1989 by RS500s, but did also see a Maserati BiTurbo entry.
Gp B was dominated by BMW M3s.
Gp C saw entries running VW Golfs, Peugeot 309s and Vauxhall Astras
Gp D saw entries running Toyota Corollas, and a Honda Civic.

Not the most diverse of fields I will admit, but 8 marques represented across 9 models is not a single-make championship.

Incidentally, in the image you give, what cars did the championship winning top three drivers use that season?
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3940396)   #1027
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1990 all the class A entries were RS 500 while about 75 % of class B were BMW M3

1989 all class A entries were RS 500 except those 2 maserati who were in essence non exisiting becasue they were slower than inferior class cars
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3940400)   #1028
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
1990 all the class A entries were RS 500 while about 75 % of class B were BMW M3

1989 all class A entries were RS 500 except those 2 maserati who were in essence non exisiting becasue they were slower than inferior class cars
Still unsure what point you are trying to make here in regards to the breadth of field in 2020?

There are many times in the history of the BTCC that a small field of manufacturers in a group or class could be highlighted, but the fact still remains that (as S Griffin said) variety of field is one of the BTCC's characteristics over the years. When the field has narrowed, measures have been taken to widen it.

1989 and 1990 saw a handful of makes that were competitive, before Super Touring came in.
In 2000, the only make in the independents class was Nissan, before BTC-T and BTC-P came in.
In 2004, the only works S2000 entry was SEAT. In 2005, works S2000, works BTC-T and Ind S2000 all saw single-make fields.
2006 again saw single-make works fields.
This trend continued where certain classes of categories had one or two manufacturers represented. All the way through until 2015 before we again had no single class with less than three manufacturers represented.

What is true through all of these seasons though is that the range of manufacturers represented in the BTCC has always been multiple - but 1990 was about as bad as it got.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3940403)   #1029
porsche962fan
Veteran

he said "always" and I pointed out that there are exceptions , that's all
Old 13 Nov 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3940406)   #1030
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was hearing around the work office cooler a Mr Neate wanted to get back behind the wheel....
Old 13 Nov 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3940408)   #1031
porsche962fan
Veteran

isn't he balcklisted by Lord Gow ? and likely most teams want cash up front from him
Old 13 Nov 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3940429)   #1032
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
That's a fair point, virtually all works cars do have 3rd party sponsors, however in the past any true works entry will have the name of the manufacturer on the car *somewhere* as part of the livery. Usually the more financial backing = a more prominent place on the car.
that doesnt hold true anymore in all forms of the sport
Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3940462)   #1033
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S700UBO View Post
i was hearing around the work office cooler a Mr Neate wanted to get back behind the wheel....
Your work office cooler has a wheel? That's Neate.

Crap puns sponsored by Andrex.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3940467)   #1034
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S700UBO View Post
I see he's buried the hatchet with the Neals....
Old 13 Nov 2019, 20:27 (Ref:3940469)   #1035
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I is good to see another car enter btcc as i suspect a few of this years cars will not reappear next year
Old 14 Nov 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3940523)   #1036
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
One thing I notice on the car is that the sills are wider than the arches.

Have Excelr8 identified a way to run with narrower arches, and still meet the NGTC minimum width criteria of 1875mm?

I know they have been keen in the past to highlight their expertise in front end cooling methods, so have they come up with something there?
Isn't the width requirement to accommodate the standard width NGTC subframes so all cars have the same track measurement? I'm no expert but surely that would mean the wheels stick out too far? I think you'll probably find on the actual car the skirts blend into the arches rather than being wider.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3940529)   #1037
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what the sill pieces being wider than the arches means other than that's the aero direction they've taken. The standard car doesn't have sills that look like that.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3940535)   #1038
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The NGTC "sill" design is something i've never been a fan of from the start, 99% of them look pretty ugly in my opinion. I wish they would just get rid of them and run whatever the road car has on the side of the car.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3940553)   #1039
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could we see a fully funded e xperienced FWD driver potentially looking for a new home come in the form of Tom Chilton? He's got (some) history of developing brand new cars, the Arena Focus, PMR Astra.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3940559)   #1040
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sonic would must rather be in an established team though
Old 14 Nov 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3940564)   #1041
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Isn't the width requirement to accommodate the standard width NGTC subframes so all cars have the same track measurement? I'm no expert but surely that would mean the wheels stick out too far? I think you'll probably find on the actual car the skirts blend into the arches rather than being wider.
Yes - that is my understanding. On the renders though, the arches look narrower than those on the existing S3 (which has a narrower body than an i30).
I have not noticed the sills being wider than the arches on any previous NGTC cars, so to my mind the i30 render appears to either have:

a) - arches that are too narrow to accommodate the NGTC subframe, so will be wider when the car is built.
b) - a package that allows the arches to be narrower than existing NGTC cars, so the sills are wider to meet the NGTC width requirement.

If the latter - then some clever front end packaging may have resulted in a significant aero advantage over other cars.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3940565)   #1042
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I don't know what the sill pieces being wider than the arches means other than that's the aero direction they've taken. The standard car doesn't have sills that look like that.
It depends on whether the sill extensions are in place to meet NGTC regulations or not.

No NGTC car to date has sills that are the same as the road car.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3940575)   #1043
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It depends on whether the sill extensions are in place to meet NGTC regulations or not.

No NGTC car to date has sills that are the same as the road car.
Exactly my point.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3940611)   #1044
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sonic would must rather be in an established team though
I think Tom would consider an opportunity on merit. The PMR Astra was an unknown when he signed up, and PMR were relatively new and inexperienced. That went pretty well.

Motorbase haven't set the world on fire at all this year, and Tom is frustrated by the team (this may run both ways!)

Excelr8 have bags of development experience with the Minis, so there is reason to believe they can engineer a competitive car in BTCC.

As always, I don't know where Tom will be but would be very surprised if it's Motorbase next year.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3940612)   #1045
porsche962fan
Veteran

couldn't he afford a seat at WSR ?
Old 14 Nov 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3940617)   #1046
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
couldn't he afford a seat at WSR ?
There's a difference between being able to afford, and willing to part with that much....
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3940628)   #1047
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Could we see a fully funded e xperienced FWD driver potentially looking for a new home come in the form of Tom Chilton? He's got (some) history of developing brand new cars, the Arena Focus, PMR Astra.
I hear that the current TCR Europe champion driver is in talks.....
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3940634)   #1048
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
I hear that the current TCR Europe champion driver is in talks.....
So too are the drivers who came 10th, 24th and 48th....
Old 14 Nov 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3940651)   #1049
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The official Supercars website states Ash Sutton is still in frame for Walkinshaw Andretti United seat. If it's true, I can imagine this is his top priority. I have a feeling he won't be in BTCC. If not Supercars maybe TCR Europe? Although would be a shame if he doesn't return to BTCC next year.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3940652)   #1050
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
While it would be a shame to lose Sutton, this has been on the cards for a while. We should be grateful that we’ve had this big star in the series while it’s lasted