Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Feb 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3020122)   #1051
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
There is no doubt he is a decent driver, but he really handled himself poorly with Audi, a company that rarely for motorsport gives it's drivers steady drives year after year if they do decent but looks after it's drivers as well.

Garry Rogers as a boss though, might be what he needs for discipline and at least of what I have seen of Mr. Rogers, he isn't taking any crap and will belt Premat with a switch if he gets out of line and probably put him to work cleaning the toilets.

Will be interesting to see. Garry as usual pulls one from left field. I hope he does well. I think he's talented enough to be given an opportunity. Maybe this is all part of Garry's giant plan to attract a new manufacturer and get first dibs on them. He is a businessman, and a good one at that.
Personally, I don't see any point of only signing Alexandre up for one year. He will need that time to learn the circuits and the car. Unless he does something stupid or bins the car every race weekend I think Garry will persist. Will be interesting to see if Caruso is pushed by him on the track.
So is it a good move? I'll reserve my judgement until after Clipsal, but I do believe it's good for the sport and perhaps a little influential in attracting new manufacturers/sponsers.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 2 Feb 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3020123)   #1052
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i wonder how much say fujitsu had in this, did they want someone who they felt could be competitive , as aopposed to someone young who might take a year or 2
Old 2 Feb 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3020145)   #1053
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i wonder how much say fujitsu had in this, did they want someone who they felt could be competitive , as aopposed to someone young who might take a year or 2
A friend of mine works in the sponsorship team at Fujitsu, when I quizzed them about who would be replacing Lee they were unsure. From what I understand they left the decision to Gaz.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3020478)   #1054
pi0ter
Rookie

Poland
Poland
pi0ter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many non-Australians/non-New Zelanders contested full season so far? I remember Max Wilson a couple of years ago, but any Europeans?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3020664)   #1055
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pi0ter View Post
So how many non-Australians/non-New Zelanders contested full season so far? I remember Max Wilson a couple of years ago, but any Europeans?
2 non-Australians i can think of
Fabian Coulthard was born in Burnley, England
Russell Ingall (born 24 February 1964, in the United Kingdom)
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3020730)   #1056
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Win Percy ever do a full season?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3020744)   #1057
pi0ter
Rookie

Poland
Poland
pi0ter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Coulthard and Ingall were born in UK but they are only UK-born and they spend most of their lives and careers in Australia. I mean a driver who switched from European racing to Australian, like Permat is going to do. Win Percy is a good example, as far as I know he did a full season. Was there anyone else?

Last edited by pi0ter; 2 Feb 2012 at 23:24.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3020761)   #1058
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
....I mean a driver who switched from European racing to Australian, like Permat is going to do. Win Percy is a good example, as far as I know he did a full season...
Alan Jones and Wayne Garnder almost qualify, having made their name overseas, outside sedan racing, then coming down under for full-time touring car gigs. James Courtney too, if we're stretching it.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3020764)   #1059
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Yes 1990 & 1991 with HRT.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3020803)   #1060
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wayne Gardner ran on a Japanese licence .
Old 3 Feb 2012, 00:29 (Ref:3020804)   #1061
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So apart from Max Wilson it would be no then ?

(Win Percy being pre- Supercar)
Old 3 Feb 2012, 00:54 (Ref:3020812)   #1062
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
\n\n\n\nThat Canadian Ford bloke if you want to go back that far.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3020821)   #1063
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
So apart from Max Wilson it would be no then ?

(Win Percy being pre- Supercar)
It might have been pre-supercar but he still drove an HRT V8. What v8 supercar would have been back then if they were the rules ran.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3020825)   #1064
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
And I have thought of another one. I am sure Tomas Mezera raced for HRT some time around '94-95...

But this is a digression. I cant think of another Fromage Eating Surrender Monkey who has driven full time here. There have been a few in the enduros.

It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Makes you wonder what will Mr A Davison will do now.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 03:50 (Ref:3020837)   #1065
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was pretty good in the ol' Porker overseas. If I was in his boots, I'd be very interested in the World Endurance Championship David Brabham et al are doing this year. Peugeot aside, the market is hotting up for good enduro drivers, with Toyota having returned, Audi putting on FOUR cars for Le Mans, Acura/Honda back in the fray and Porsche on the horizon.

Davo in action a few years back:
Old 3 Feb 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3020887)   #1066
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if Ford have This level of balls?

A worry for Prodrive generally you would have thought
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Feb 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3020941)   #1067
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

There seems to be a generally held view that DR's involvement with the Mini project was somewhat of a catalyst. Hence why he 'stepped aside' earlier this year. BMW refused to deal with him.

Perhaps the distance has helped keep the FPR ship sailing on it's merry way. A yearly jaunt to Bathurst isn't that much time to have to see yourself in the mirrored aviators....
Old 3 Feb 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3020949)   #1068
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
So Prodrive leaving FPR, then running a BMW COTF is out of the question?
Old 3 Feb 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3021001)   #1069
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I am sure this is deemed irrelevant as it occurred before 1997.

I dont believe motorsport existed in Australia before 1997
Old 3 Feb 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3021017)   #1070
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3021038)   #1071
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

and here's me sitting here with my special 50 years of bathurst lanyard, which v8 supercars have given me

your blinkered eyes make you say stupid things
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3021043)   #1072
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Not sure Ford are as dumb as BMW.

So BMW decides to shoot itself in both feet, just as Prodrive/Mini have produced a competitive car on small budget. With more power and chassis mod's coming in March, they should be even more competitive. They also parked their fastest gravel driver (Meeke), with a load of loose surface events coming up.

Remember the recent incredibly idiotic F1 campaigns. They quit partnership with Williams to blow even bigger truck loads of cash, to achieve even less. Peter Sauber now has a state of the art facility all thanks to BMW's (lack of) BrainsTrust.

Last edited by TWRv12; 3 Feb 2012 at 14:35.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3021340)   #1073
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Not sure Ford are as dumb as BMW.

So BMW decides to shoot itself in both feet, just as Prodrive/Mini have produced a competitive car on small budget. With more power and chassis mod's coming in March, they should be even more competitive. They also parked their fastest gravel driver (Meeke), with a load of loose surface events coming up.

Remember the recent incredibly idiotic F1 campaigns. They quit partnership with Williams to blow even bigger truck loads of cash, to achieve even less. Peter Sauber now has a state of the art facility all thanks to BMW's (lack of) BrainsTrust.
I agree that BMW doesnt always follow the most logical path with its decisions, but prodrive clearly dont have substantial commercial partners on its Mini program, such that the bulk of the cost would likely be borne by the manufacturer. Similarly, by selling the seat in the second 'works' car to the highest bidder as opposed to the most talented pilot suggests that firstly the manufacturer championship position is likely to be compromised, and secondly the second car will not be in a position to support the first one in outright positions

The prodrive-built Minis seem quick enough, but even the lead pilot has been reported as saying the Monte Carlo result flatters to deceive, that the Ford and Citroen plans are going to overtake them in development & outright pace, and also that the team is lacking a 2nd pilot capable of developing the chassis...

If you take note of the Australian FPR/prodrive operation, Ford is still said to be the major contributor to the FPR budget.. that the commercial partners aboard that squad are not as healthy, wealthy & wise as they may be required to be if the Ford funding was not in place.

Each year FPR promises and promises, and usually does not deliver.

BMW had the balls to stand up and call out their partner's weaknesses, to discuss them, and decided not to proceed with that path.

It is courageous to do so within the season... the PR ramifications may not be so pleasant..

...but off the back of the brilliant Dakar result with Mini (whose preparation team may become the new WRC preparers), issues such as the funding challenge, and the revolving door of second pilots, does not a happy relationship make.

At what point does Ford ratchet down its commitment to FPR to require commercial sponsors to pick up the slack to fund the bulk of the program?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Feb 2012, 07:43 (Ref:3021342)   #1074
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Perhaps another entrant to the Quote of the Year awards goes to Mr Dumbrell..

There seems to be plenty of friendly banter between Mr Dumbrell and his alleged future pilot Mr Douglas...

... I mean.. you hope its friendly... right?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Feb 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3021355)   #1075
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And it seems LDM's 'new' ex-PMM run 888-designed PMM-built VE is in their new workshop too...

Someone's excited
#CANCERSUCKS