Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3654297)   #1076
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Ford drivers speed was pretty consistent. Fastest laps and average laps of all the drivers only covered by 1.6 seconds over all 4 cars. Doesn't take into account slow zones or anything but that's amazingly tight.

For comparison, the Corvettes were spread by 3.3 seconds. Anyone can say what they want about Ford, but that's a brilliant performance by all the drivers.
And the car. That thing is unreal. When people say it's a protoype, it's not a lie.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 21 Jun 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3654299)   #1077
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
One thing lost in all the hullabaloo and controversy is which one of the 12 Ford drivers ended up fastest in the race.

Scott Dixon.

...actually was that a surprise in any way?
With the lineup they had, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a handful of those drivers, but this makes me smile some.

Thanks for bringing up racing and not politics
Old 21 Jun 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3654305)   #1078
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Someone on Reddit "Just had a very interesting conversation with some Ganassi crew members awaiting a flight from Paris to Chicago".
Old 21 Jun 2016, 23:53 (Ref:3654332)   #1079
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting stuff, thanks.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 00:47 (Ref:3654335)   #1080
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take it with a massive grain of salt. As someone who used to get approached all the time about whatever when travelling in team gear, we'd rarely give a full truth. especially with a program like this.

Not to be a jerk, but, because you never knew who anyone was.

Like my job now, if someone asks, "what's the worst thing you've ever seen" I always make up a story to satisfy them, why? Because usually the worst things I see, I don't care to remeber.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Jun 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3654338)   #1081
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Multimatic running the WEC cars is something that was outright announced (albeit fairly quietly), everything else sets off the BS detector.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 03:05 (Ref:3654344)   #1082
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lots of hours of the Ford GT onboards from Le Mans is on youtube still archived. I hope it stays on there for a long time. You can go to sleep with that sound.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 03:10 (Ref:3654345)   #1083
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Multimatic running the WEC cars is something that was outright announced (albeit fairly quietly), everything else sets off the BS detector.
I think it was actually common knowledge TBH....regadless....the rest? Eh.

Especially the part where they were flying to Chicago. The CGR shops are in Indinapoils for the Indy/IMSA teams.

And last I checked, Indy gets international flights.. maybe not as many as O'hare, but, still... seems to be mostly BS.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3654352)   #1084
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some truth there as in the comment of how 50 years ago the gt40s were a mess and the Americans sorted the, out and turned them into winners.those Americans were Shelby American.as far as the same thing going on this year who knows.....
Old 22 Jun 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3654407)   #1085
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a thought...

If you were to take the BoP away and just the race the cars as they were built, what would you expect the competitive order to be?

Personally, I would expect Ford to be the fastest car as it's built to the next regs and designed specifically for Le Mans with all the might of one of the world's biggest car companies behind it.

I'd expect Ferrari to have a fast car as that's also built to the new rules, and I'd expect Risi and AF Corse to find a lot of pace in the car very quickly.

Porsche I'd predict would struggle given that the works cars were a one-off entry, the engine is getting on a bit, and the fact the rules are really starting to favour mid-engined cars.

Corvette I would suggest would struggle with a front-engined machine which is adapted, rather than designed for, the new regulations.

And Aston Martin have been racing the V8 Vantage since the Pontlieue hairpin was still in use.

I'm not defending the ACO/FIA at all for their inconsistency with the BoP process, but for all the controversy, I think the competitive order is remarkably similar to what it would be without all the political nonsense we seem to get which dominates discussion about the class.

A lot of people are suggesting the ACO helped Ford, but that thing should be the class of the field. The controversy is not the pace of Ford, but rather the lack of help handed to their rivals.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3654429)   #1086
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Nah, the controversy is the way the whole orchestrated showing is being brought as a 'another landmark event by Ford in the history of LM24'.

Ford must have been making some serious donations in order to receive such generous sympathy from the ACO/FIA...

Anyways, there should be no worries about Ford running away with the WEC (or IMSA) championship, first and foremost because Ford is not interested in the championship at all - it was all about LM. Heck, I can even see them not winning another race before the end of the year, only to 'bounce back' (read: outperforming all others again in the BoP soap opera) for Daytona next year!
Old 22 Jun 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3654463)   #1087
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If you were to take the BoP away and just the race the cars as they were built, what would you expect the competitive order to be?
I ask this about every year but no one ever answers back

Anyway:

(the gaps below are to emphasize the gaps in performance from top to bottom)

Ferrari

Ford

Corvette

Porsche

Aston Martin
Old 22 Jun 2016, 15:29 (Ref:3654473)   #1088
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Nope - the Ferrari was being raced very close to the edges of its performance envelope
Old 22 Jun 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3654476)   #1089
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Nope - the Ferrari was being raced very close to the edges of its performance envelope
The same Ferrari which was +20kg heavier, had 8 liters less fuel and 2,95mm smaller fuel flow restrictor than the Ford?
Old 22 Jun 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3654489)   #1090
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
If there was no BoP the Ford wouldn't be racing ay all.

I haven't seen the appendix that covers boost values so I have no idea how heavily the turbo cars are or aren't BoP'd.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3654506)   #1091
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I think it was actually common knowledge TBH....regadless....the rest? Eh.

Especially the part where they were flying to Chicago. The CGR shops are in Indinapoils for the Indy/IMSA teams.

And last I checked, Indy gets international flights.. maybe not as many as O'hare, but, still... seems to be mostly BS.
Was on the same flight. At least one of the Risi guys was on the flight too. Sadly, there has been a huge consolidation with the airlines and with that hubs. Only way to fly direct to Indy from France is by charter / private plane.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 00:01 (Ref:3654563)   #1092
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The same Ferrari which was +20kg heavier, had 8 liters less fuel and 2,95mm smaller fuel flow restrictor than the Ford?
I agree with GG and also think that the Ford is a better car. The aero of the cars gives me such impression.

But it's unfair to compare them with other cars which are made primarily with the street use in mind, then adapted to race against primarily race cars like Ford and Ferrari, adapted to street use.

For instance, the Porsches are relatively short tracked(small width), too tall and round. The design purpose is aesthetics, primarily, not the most aero efficient. Ford and Ferrari are wide, low and with sharper shapes.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3654587)   #1093
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The Vette would be bonkers too if it ran without all those restrictions. Imo, they should do a gt1 like ruleset for the class. If mid engined cars have an advantage, make them run 30-50kg heavier. If you don't have an efficient engine (thirsty), run something smaller. This bop crap is annoying and Ford showcased how poor the balancing is.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3654653)   #1094
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I understand the logic of balance of performance, but an atavistic part of me just thinks it's WRONG. Build a quick car or get beaten. And mid-engined cars won't always inherently have an advantage - look at the Panoz LMP, which could beat the BMW V12 LMR in the right hands. Besides, from what I understand, the engines are so far back in "front" engined cars like the Corvette and the Aston that they're not a kick in the pants away from mid-engines anyway.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3654700)   #1095
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The Vette would be bonkers too if it ran without all those restrictions. Imo, they should do a gt1 like ruleset for the class. If mid engined cars have an advantage, make them run 30-50kg heavier. If you don't have an efficient engine (thirsty), run something smaller. This bop crap is annoying and Ford showcased how poor the balancing is.
But your idea of weighing cars down that are faster IS a BoP. It isn't as full on as it is now, but that's how the idea started. It just grew arms and legs from there on. And then with this idea, Corvette wouldn't be able to race at all. Run something smaller in a Corvette? They hardly have an I4 engine version to race do they? So we'd lose Corvette because they wouldn't be even remotely close to winning and never would be. Or the flip side is we'd see homologation specials, and prices would go through the roof and we'd kill the class.

Great idea in theory, but doesn't work too well.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3654779)   #1096
carbsmith
Veteran

You have a few misconceptions. Like that the current generation small block Chevy is an inefficient engine. (kind of a silly one when they have the second smallest fuel tank in the class and the street car has the best fuel economy)

The problem with BoP is right in the name. It's Balance of Performance. BoP doesn't aim to equalize anything but results.

A front mid-engined GT car is indeed usually not much if any of a handicap, because unlike purpose built race cars proper street cars need silly things like bumpers, proper two seat cabins, storage compartments, etc., aerodynamic devices are limited, and with a minimum weight you can just build the car underweight and throw all the ballast in the back so the cars end up reasonably similar except for whether the driver or engine crosses the line first and maybe where the oil cooler is. The only place they struggled was making use of the low rear wing required in the GT2/GTE regulations. Also see the NSX in GT500, which with production silhouette bodies isn't any kind of advantage at all.

Now with the Ford you have a limited run car going against vehicles that are in constant year over year production, and because of that they can use things that are really impractical for a volume production car for a performance advantage (even the 488 will sell more race cars alone than Ford will ever build GTs of any kind) The problem we have is not a Corvette racing a 488, it's more like a 488 racing a Le Ferrari. Actually they built almost twice as many of those as Ford is going to build GTs either.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3654810)   #1097
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
But your idea of weighing cars down that are faster IS a BoP. It isn't as full on as it is now, but that's how the idea started. It just grew arms and legs from there on. And then with this idea, Corvette wouldn't be able to race at all. Run something smaller in a Corvette? They hardly have an I4 engine version to race do they? So we'd lose Corvette because they wouldn't be even remotely close to winning and never would be. Or the flip side is we'd see homologation specials, and prices would go through the roof and we'd kill the class.

Great idea in theory, but doesn't work too well.
Vette has a 6L engine in their road car but a 5.5L in their race car. That's "smaller". Never said bop shouldn't exist at all, but the current bop is garbage. In Super GT pre 2014 you had 1100kg minimum weight with success ballast. Everyone ran a front engined car, but before Honda had the HSV they used the NSX and it was 1150kg. That formula worked. Maybe GTE doesn't go the exact route, but close to it would be much better and easier to understand.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3654894)   #1098
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
I've never understood the logic to penalize success, what's wrong with gaining a competitive edge?

Just set the rules, stick to them (!) and let them race. Anyone interested will bring its best solution to the party, no need to cater to all.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3654946)   #1099
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-24-hours.html

As I said a few pages ago, Fords attitude here has been crap. Tried to like them, but now it appears they'll try to blackmail other teams. GTE has turned into BTCC. I won't be too fussed when Ford end this program.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 05:25 (Ref:3654978)   #1100
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't see the big deal. A team trying to get a win is nothing new. A team trying to gain a competitive advantage is nothing new. A team trying to get another penalized for something they were penalized for is nothing new. Why is the writer singling out the Ford team when the Risi team lodged a protest as well? Oh, because they went to their garage for a 'gentlemen's agreement'? I donno, to me, it's just a shrug of the shoulders.