Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jul 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3661907)   #1076
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markf8691 View Post
Where can ppl in the UK watch PWC on demand?

It seems like you have to go to motortrendondemand but after registering for it, the videos are geoblocked?
Motor Trend On Demand is a subscription service. Only a very limited amount of content is available for free. I do not know if you can subscribe outside of the US, though.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 29 Jul 2016 at 19:49.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3661910)   #1077
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Motor Trend On Demand is a subscription service. Only a very limited amount of content is available for free.

Think Mark is aware of that, but as a UK resident, you can sign up and pay for motor trend on demand, but the videos themselves get geoblocked so you can't physically watch them unless you use a geo-blocking disabler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jul 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3661914)   #1078
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Think Mark is aware of that, but as a UK resident, you can sign up and pay for motor trend on demand, but the videos themselves get geoblocked so you can't physically watch them unless you use a geo-blocking disabler
He only said "registered" which you can do without paying, so I had to make sure.

It seems pretty weird that they'd let someone from out of country pay up only to geoblock them. If the videos aren't available in a given country, they shouldn't be taking the money. (though since MToD has the first month free, nobody who gets screwed by such would actually get charged - they'd cancel before the first actual charge came along)
Old 29 Jul 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3661917)   #1079
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
He only said "registered" which you can do without paying, so I had to make sure.

It seems pretty weird that they'd let someone from out of country pay up only to geoblock them. If the videos aren't available in a given country, they shouldn't be taking the money. (though since MToD has the first month free, nobody who gets screwed by such would actually get charged - they'd cancel before the first actual charge came along)

Yeh I'm not saying MoTD are ripping people off or anything.

I'm UK based but spend a lot of time in the Chicago so I have a MoTD account, works just fine in the states, but when I'm in the Uk I can access the account but not watch videos.

Unless I use Hola!

Old 29 Jul 2016, 20:36 (Ref:3661918)   #1080
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ratel aims to provide teams with the chance to run a GT3 season for prices starting at just $230,000.
That's $100K less than a backmarker ST car in IMSA and the cost of a front running effort in TC. Only pro racing that is cheaper than GT3 is a TCA or TCB program. So, GT3 is going to get big in a hurry with GT3 only costing that much for a full season. Why run some Civic or Miata when you can run an NSX for the same cost?

Quote:
In the GTS class, which adopts full GT4 regulations for 2017, the calendar has been split into East Coast and West Coast championships, each with five rounds.
I wonder where the East vs West overall Championship will be? This is a page out of the late 80's open wheel ladder series'.

Quote:
There will be an eight-hour endurance race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Oct. 13-15, as part of the Intercontinental GT Challenge.
This just sounds like a fun race since it counts for no points and only for the big prize money with the best of both continents going at it for 8 hours. Will they run split 8 hour races. One for GT3 and the other for GT4? You'd have to do this because there has to be a track limit at Laguna and bringing in cars from all over the world just makes for a big field.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3661922)   #1081
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
... Will they run split 8 hour races. One for GT3 and the other for GT4? You'd have to do this because there has to be a track limit at Laguna and bringing in cars from all over the world just makes for a big field.
I doubt they will get a huge number of extra cars going there from other continents just for this one race.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3661923)   #1082
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Press Release from the series http://nasportscar.com/pwc-announces-2017-plans/
Old 29 Jul 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3661925)   #1083
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The PWC race at COTA is the same weekend as the season opener for the Texas Longhorns at their home stadium in Austin. At least PWC event ends on Saturday and the football game is on Sunday. So I guess the track rental was pretty cheap for PWC that weekend since 1000% of the attention will be on a football game in Texas in the same town as COTA.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3661938)   #1084
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
The PWC race at COTA is the same weekend as the season opener for the Texas Longhorns at their home stadium in Austin. At least PWC event ends on Saturday and the football game is on Sunday. So I guess the track rental was pretty cheap for PWC that weekend since 1000% of the attention will be on a football game in Texas in the same town as COTA.
Not to mention Crevantic wanting to run a 24 hour at COTA in November 2017 I think. They are a well run group. I hope both this and the proposed Laguna Seca 8 hour race can go off and be good races.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3661955)   #1085
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
My initial reaction to this news is very negative. I don't really like the Blancpain/SprintX format, with its stupid fake pitstops. I didn't mind SprintX as a bonus race with its more pro-am and multi class emphasis, but not as a replacement for the main sprint races.
Hopefully most of the teams will choose to race both sprint and sprintX rounds for the overall championship, because otherwise the seasons going to be really disjointed. I wonder if all pro driver line-ups will even be allowed in the X rounds? And also will the single driver sprint rounds be GT/GTA only, or will they race along side of the GTS cars? The more I think about this ridiculous format overhaul, the more I dislike it.

The one bit of encouraging news is the Laguna seca endurance race. Although I was a bit disappointed to read in the press release that it will be a six hour event, rather than the eight hours initially reported. I'm kind of sick of six hour endurance races, they need to mix up the distances a bit IMO.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:16 (Ref:3661965)   #1086
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sonoma is event missing compared to this year, sept..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jul 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3662017)   #1087
jjvincent
Racer

It seems to me that PWC is not doing as well as we all think. If they were, there's be no reason for SprintX and this convoluted system for GT and GTS. Keep everything the same and run with it. Since that's not happening, there must be a reason. I'm just wondering if the PWC fell in love with Ratel and are doing whatever he says because what he does in Europe works. As we have seen over and over throughout history, relying on the European way of racing does not work here in the US and vice versa.

Plus, this East, West thing got GTS is going to kill that class. I don't care if GT4 is the nirvana of racecars, people are not interested in a 5 race series. The West Coast series will end up turning into a handful of cars and PWC will end up just allowing any SCCA T1 Club guy to enter just to boost the field size.

Also, a 6 hour race that's not for points? What is the incentive for an existing PWC team to run that. Only one I could see that will jump on that will be TRG just because they are close enough. Having it a week or two after Road Atlanta will probably not interest many GTD teams either.

Note to PWC: Keep what you got and drop Sprint X. Build what you got instead of being second fiddle at half of your events and don't plan a race at COTA when the Longhorns are in town.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3662024)   #1088
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
It seems to me that PWC is not doing as well as we all think. If they were, there's be no reason for SprintX and this convoluted system for GT and GTS. Keep everything the same and run with it. Since that's not happening, there must be a reason. I'm just wondering if the PWC fell in love with Ratel and are doing whatever he says because what he does in Europe works. As we have seen over and over throughout history, relying on the European way of racing does not work here in the US and vice versa.

Plus, this East, West thing got GTS is going to kill that class. I don't care if GT4 is the nirvana of racecars, people are not interested in a 5 race series. The West Coast series will end up turning into a handful of cars and PWC will end up just allowing any SCCA T1 Club guy to enter just to boost the field size.

Also, a 6 hour race that's not for points? What is the incentive for an existing PWC team to run that. Only one I could see that will jump on that will be TRG just because they are close enough. Having it a week or two after Road Atlanta will probably not interest many GTD teams either.

Note to PWC: Keep what you got and drop Sprint X. Build what you got instead of being second fiddle at half of your events and don't plan a race at COTA when the Longhorns are in town.

My understanding was from the press release that you can enter East and west if you wish. Just gives people with a half season only budget a chance to run?

Old 30 Jul 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3662033)   #1089
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
World Challenge ‏@WCRacing

Reminder that the schedule and plans released today are provisional. Changes may occur and official details will be released by WC Vision
Old 30 Jul 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3662047)   #1090
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You might want to take a look at a 2017 calendar again. The PWC schedule says the COTA race is September 1 - 3, and the 3rd is definitely a Sunday. The Longhorns open their season on Saturday, September 2 at home against Maryland.

There's another problem with the date: IMSA (and the WEC?) are coming to COTA maybe two weeks later.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 14:46 (Ref:3662050)   #1091
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Sonoma is event missing compared to this year, sept..
Note the TBA dates is August and September. Presumably those will be the IndyCar dates at Watkins Glens and Sonoma once the dates are finalized.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3662056)   #1092
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Note the TBA dates is August and September. Presumably those will be the IndyCar dates at Watkins Glens and Sonoma once the dates are finalized.
Yup. Figured they were waiting on indy car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jul 2016, 14:55 (Ref:3662059)   #1093
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
My understanding was from the press release that you can enter East and west if you wish. Just gives people with a half season only budget a chance to run?

When you do an east/west thing here in the US, the East is packed with cars and the West is not. It's as simple as the population density. Since everyone now has to purchase a GT4 car, it pretty much relegates anything old, can't run (which I mentioned that they will probably have an exception because for anyone that has done anything with PWC in the last 20 years, that's what they do).

If I was going to run a GT4 car, it would be a pretty hard to justify buying a $240K GT4 Mustang just to run 5 events for a year. 5 events seems to just not be worth it for such a big investment. You are asking people to spend a bunch of money for a regional series. I assume that people will run both and then make a nifty press release that they are a double champion.

Plus the TC guys got shafted because they have 3 events in a month then a 2 month break with a TBA and COTA within a month. You are asking teams to hustle like crazy and then sit around with nothing to do while the racing season for everyone else is going. Not a good incentive for teams to run in your series.

Maybe PWC should wait around for another two months before they release a schedule instead of having it as a TBA and Provisional schedule. It's almost like someone just threw darts at a board and just went with that.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3662268)   #1094
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe PWC should wait around for another two months before they release a schedule instead of having it as a TBA and Provisional schedule. It's almost like someone just threw darts at a board and just went with that.
Waiting until October to announce the finalized schedule was the plan...
Old 30 Jul 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3662306)   #1095
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this will either be a big boon to the PWC or IMSA.

Take your bets.
Old 2 Aug 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3663117)   #1096
TheMightyM
Veteran

Here’s an explanation of some of the what and why behind the PWC tentative schedule that just came out: http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/201...lease-process/

Note that I said “some.”
Old 2 Aug 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3663130)   #1097
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Well this will either be a big boon to the PWC or IMSA.

Take your bets.
SRO and Gill want a Blancpain US series.... the Sprint X format will continue to expand as time rolls along.

PWC/SRO and IMSA probably would be wise to form an alliance of sorts...Share weekends, feed of each other promotional abilities.

IMSA/PWC/GT3 Cup/CTSCC and Lites makes for a pretty solid weekend.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Aug 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3663141)   #1098
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
SRO and Gill want a Blancpain US series.... the Sprint X format will continue to expand as time rolls along.

PWC/SRO and IMSA probably would be wise to form an alliance of sorts...Share weekends, feed of each other promotional abilities.

IMSA/PWC/GT3 Cup/CTSCC and Lites makes for a pretty solid weekend.
I'm pretty sure that PWC/SRO isn’t interested in playing second banana on IMSA weekends.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3663148)   #1099
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I'm pretty sure that PWC/SRO isn’t interested in playing second banana on IMSA weekends.
I'm sure they aren't. But, from an exposure standpoint, they need help...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Aug 2016, 05:10 (Ref:3663165)   #1100
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I'm sure they aren't. But, from an exposure standpoint, they need help...
I thought SRO was suppose to be the solution…