Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3878461)   #1076
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Next time, I'll "jump" on the opportunity…
Just have to hop along to a local supermarket.... just dont expect it to be filet mignon.

Maybe it is zero cholesterol and fat but it lacks subtlety and taste is strong more than good. Not to mention a bit tough. To be more polite it is different.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3878463)   #1077
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha mais pas du tout! from your videos, the theory of conspiracy is clear…*Those are Ford fans throwing a kangaroo on the GM cars. I totally ignored that Bad-hurt race includes moving hurdles. Tricky huh…
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3878466)   #1078
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Scrutineering must be hard in your area…*Look, you start with a compliant car and it becomes a bent one right away…
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3878468)   #1079
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Scrutineering must be hard in your area…*Look, you start with a compliant car and it becomes a bent one right away…
As with other countries they bend the rules as much as they bend the cars.... interpretation is a strange word.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3878476)   #1080
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Once or twice, I had to use explanations when coming back to the pits with a slightly damaged car if not totally wrecked…*But in France if you say you've been hitting a Kangaroo anyone will think about a Renault van! I can't imagine any team principal hearing that kind of excuse without sending you to the nearest mental institution… A Kangaroo now and what else next time Bozo?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3878485)   #1081
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They accept them in Spain, but not if you become a resident. They tried allowing other EU citizens to just register their home country licences with the authorities, but not many bothered to do this. So, they made it compulsory to change over to a Spanish licence after two years residence.

The reasoning is that if the police stop a non Spaniard driving on a foreign licence that they have no address registered to the driver. And you cannot register a UK licence with the DVLA for a foreign address.

By the way, not all countries, and certainly not Spain, have the driver's address printed on the photocard as we do in the UK.
Apparently the current agreement is that an EU driving licence is valid (until its expiry date) in any country and you don't have to change to a local one - but you might have to register it with the local authorities.
Of course like all regulations the actual implementation is up to each country so it's not surprising that the Spanish do it differently.

Vehicle registration is a different matter, you apparently have 6 months before you should register it locally - that avoids countries missing out on road tax, avoiding mots etc.

Belgian licences don't have addresses either but they are only valid in conjunction with an id card, which confirms your address, of course recent plastic id cards don't have it printed on them either but it's easy to read if you have a card reader handy!!

Belgium also came up with an interesting trick for foreign registered cars, a local now needs a letter from the registered owner giving permission to drive it and that letter is only valid for 1 month.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3878488)   #1082
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I wouldn’t have a Giulia TI for looks, but the mechanical spec and clever aero tweaks have always impressed me.

The Sprint GT is what we see in U2TC running as a saloon. Not sure if the one you’re thinking of is this (TZ)......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_TZ

No, although the TZ is certainly 250GTO looking I meant that the saloon Giulia Sprint GT was similar to the GTO in that it was a pure yet simple design that looked like nothing the competition could produce yet looked just right.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3878492)   #1083
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry, didn't catch the spirit. I like the pure GTJ 1600 with two headlamps. I never much appreciated the instrument panel of the 2000 and its plastic look. Funny that the Bertone was homologated as a Grp1 together with the RX Savana, both supposed to offer enough room for four passengers.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3878497)   #1084
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, didn't catch the spirit. I like the pure GTJ 1600 with two headlamps. I never much appreciated the instrument panel of the 2000 and its plastic look. Funny that the Bertone was homologated as a Grp1 together with the RX Savana, both supposed to offer enough room for four passengers.

Well, if the Porsche 911 could race as a 'saloon' car....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3878501)   #1085
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From memory, Porsche had only one model homologated as a Grp1, the 912 probably SWB. Am I right here?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3878502)   #1086
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They were UK Group 5(?) and raced in British Saloon Car Championship 1967 to 1969.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3878503)   #1087
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
OK, thank you Peter. Just had a quick check, 912 1/1/67, displacement 1582 cc, fiche numéro 5139. Group one.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3878505)   #1088
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Probably not worth the race modifications because we only see 356's. Too heavy?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3878511)   #1089
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Probably not worth the race modifications because we only see 356's. Too heavy?
Can’t weigh much less than a flat 6 901/911? And with less oomph..... If there was a chance of a 912 being competitive in it’s class, I think we’d see them out there racing, so guess they’re not. Think I’ve seen occasional reference to them in historic rallies, though.

Always been bemused by the odd GT that manages to compete as a saloon (RX7, 911 etc) and guess sometimes it’s down to interior dimensions? Works both ways, though, as when Mitsu were rallying the relatively huge Galant saloon against cars like the Toyota Celica, it was because the coupe Mitsu Eclipse, that used exactly same mechanics as the saloon, was too small in some interior measurement to be eligible.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3878515)   #1090
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An interesting period in Touring Cars. There were also supercharges Alfa Romeos. Actually only 1968 and 1969. Group 2 before and after.

http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1968%20Cars.html
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3878519)   #1091
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
An interesting period in Touring Cars. There were also supercharges Alfa Romeos. Actually only 1968 and 1969. Group 2 before and after.
Classic pic of the works Cooper S mid-corner! Smoke? What smoke?

Just twigged that it’s getting near the time for European countries (And Australia ) to chose their Eurovision song. Having listened to some of our prospective artists and some extremely uninspiring songs, it’s obvious that we just don’t care anymore!

Maybe in the current circumstances we should select something appropriate from previous artists and hits. Any suggestions? I’ll start with Moody Blues and ‘Go Now’.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3878522)   #1092
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Tim Harvey has bought a Van Dieman for Classic FF racing this year. Think it's his first race car.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3878523)   #1093
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Should I Stay or Should I Go? the Clash version.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3878524)   #1094
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I see Tim Harvey has bought a Van Dieman for Classic FF racing this year. Think it's his first race car.
Possibly encouraged by Tiff N.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3878525)   #1095
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Possibly encouraged by Tiff N.
Just what I thought. Think Ben Edwards races one as well.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3878526)   #1096
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1968%20Cars.html

From the same source but 1973

Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3878527)   #1097
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Good choice!
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3878530)   #1098
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
From the same source but 1973
The first significant Zakspeed colour scheme! Next season they had Castol sponsorship and changed to the ‘iconic’ red/green stripes- mostly on a white car but I’ve got a pic of them on a black Mk1 as well. Later with the Mk2, the cars were always black.

And yes, that’s where Canary’s colour scheme came from.....
Attached Thumbnails
AC5F7BE1-8BDF-4218-95E0-04FF56055C5B.jpeg  
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3878544)   #1099
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Hehehe not only an interesting time in Touring cars.... but also music. I had to go down memory lane and find a clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIFublvDes
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3878546)   #1100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah, but the Clash were 82(ish). We were running Group 1.5 at that time, the following year was Group A.