Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeee View Post
When I heard Mildred's voice say
"anyone with a scanner on 4a, the restart is delayed, you've time to move the mini" which was nice!

Admittedly we didn't start on the mini until I relayed the message to the IO and go his nod!
That's good.

And excellent work in getting the go-ahead from your IO first. The chain of command on a post is very important and benefits the whole team. If everyone is aware of what's happening, it makes the situation a lot safer and gets it sorted a lot quicker too.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2850841)   #1102
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeee View Post
Admittedly we didn't start on the mini until I relayed the message to the IO and go his nod!
Seems more like an argument for the IOs having radio.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2851459)   #1103
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember there was only one radio on the post but we had split into two or three "pairs" plus an IO each. Can't remember if our IO had the radio, it's a long way from the track to the post.

(I counted seven minis in the gravel at one point!)
Old 14 Apr 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2863258)   #1104
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
Seems more like an argument for the IOs having radio.
Should be the post chief who has the radio, he/she can then manage the situation, delegating the incident handling to the IO or marshals team, as well as be aware of everythign else going on round the circuit.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2863283)   #1105
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not easy when you're the opposite side of the track
Old 14 Apr 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2863287)   #1106
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's another thread!!
Old 14 Apr 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2863293)   #1107
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, indeed, and the very reason why I don't 'Observe' at Silverstone very often.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2863388)   #1108
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
Both points taken!

I really think if we're looking forward to digital radios (as talked about for Silverstone) - the PC, IO and flag marshals should all have radio, should be able to talk to each other on the same post, and also to race control. Obviously the PC should be the main point of contact for race control, but there might be a need to talk directly to a flaggie or the IO depending on the situation.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2863401)   #1109
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA Susie View Post
I'm a flaggie and have used a scanner for the last 4 years and find in invaluable. I never act on the info heard but it does help to let you get ready and know what is going on where you can't see the whole of the circuit.
No sensitive info is ever put over the radio, any medical info is in code anyway or if CMO uses his phone instead.
Chief marshals I have talked to also see their benefits but have stopped short on my recommendation of publishing the frequencies in final instructions. I hate those first few minutes of the meeting trying to find the channel if it is not the normal ones.
have just started flag marshalling and was handed a scanner from the post chief with the Instruction "DONT ACT ON IT" I found it added to my enjoyment of the meeeting. found it esp. helpful when a red flag was called as a heads up
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2863405)   #1110
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially useful if you are flagging alone. No matter which way you are looking you are guaranteed to miss the red flag or SC board coming out!

It's also useful when the flag point is a long way from the PC, which is often the case at many circuits. It can be the only way to find out what's going on if the PC can't easily communicate with you.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2863838)   #1111
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
Scanners are also useful if you've actually been given a radio - as you sometimes are when flagging - and you either don't get a headset or the headset has some kind of problem so you're forced to go hand-held. It's useful to have the scanner in to be able to hear incoming calls.

If the racing is noisy a set of ear defenders fit neatly over the earpiece. And if you do need to report something in, when you press the transmit button you can hear yourself talk so you know if there's a problem.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2863932)   #1112
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
Scanners are also useful if you've actually been given a radio - as you sometimes are when flagging - and you either don't get a headset or the headset has some kind of problem so you're forced to go hand-held. It's useful to have the scanner in to be able to hear incoming calls.

If the racing is noisy a set of ear defenders fit neatly over the earpiece. And if you do need to report something in, when you press the transmit button you can hear yourself talk so you know if there's a problem.
Good idea, but. . .

Make sure somebody hasn't switched the radio off at lunchtime.

Don't leave the radio behind when you go out to a big incident.

. . . as has happened to "a friend"!
Old 18 Apr 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2865655)   #1113
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Good idea, but. . .

Make sure somebody hasn't switched the radio off at lunchtime.

Don't leave the radio behind when you go out to a big incident.

. . . as has happened to "a friend"!
and if you need a 'pit stop' don't do a 'Button'
Old 16 May 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2881224)   #1114
beltanedeath
Rookie

United Kingdom
near york
beltanedeath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling all scanner geeks!!

Geeks....in the nicest possible way of course....

I bought an maycom AR-108 thinking it would solve all my scanner problems...but it hasn't, as I went to BSB at Croft last weekend and found out they were on (frequency starting with 4) and apparently my ar doesn't "do" the 4. One of the guys had a Maycom FR 100 which does the 4 thing but does it do the 165.2125 MHz thing as well? If it does i know where there is a brand new ar 108 for sale....

thanks for your help

Sean
Old 16 May 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2881231)   #1115
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.radios-uk.com/maycom_fr100.htm

The 100 does 108-136 and 136-174
Old 16 May 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2881233)   #1116
beltanedeath
Rookie

United Kingdom
near york
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
http://www.radios-uk.com/maycom_fr100.htm

The 100 does 108-136 and 136-174
so that means it's good for cars as well yes?

Sean
Old 16 May 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2881246)   #1117
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltanedeath View Post
so that means it's good for cars as well yes?
IME, most car meetings are on 160-170, including the MSA frequency, so this should cover that. There are a couple that use the 4xx range too. Obviously, it'll be no good for places that switch over to digital, as has been talked about. Just to cover my backside, I should point out that I'm going off the above specs and I've never used on of these, so I can't *promise* anything.
Old 16 May 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2881247)   #1118
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltanedeath View Post
Geeks....in the nicest possible way of course....

I bought an maycom AR-108 thinking it would solve all my scanner problems...but it hasn't, as I went to BSB at Croft last weekend and found out they were on (frequency starting with 4) and apparently my ar doesn't "do" the 4. One of the guys had a Maycom FR 100 which does the 4 thing but does it do the 165.2125 MHz thing as well? If it does i know where there is a brand new ar 108 for sale....

thanks for your help

Sean
Think you'll be looking for something like an ICOM-R2 or R5 for a '4' reception
Old 16 May 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2881251)   #1119
beltanedeath
Rookie

United Kingdom
near york
Guinness and Squirrel....thank you, as ever, very useful

Sean
Old 16 May 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2881255)   #1120
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing you should be made aware of is that the more frequency bands a scanner covers it gets less sensitive. So a scanner like the Icom that covers from 25mhz to 1300mhz with no gaps is less sensitive than the Maycom.

Which in simple terms means that a Maycom user may be able to hear a weak transmission whereas the Icom user won't even know anything was said.

Try to buy a scanner that covers what you need and not one that does everything that you'll never use.
Old 16 May 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2881256)   #1121
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Think you'll be looking for something like an ICOM-R2 or R5 for a '4' reception
The specs for the FR 100 say it does 420-470, and my old Uniden Bearcat UBC-72XLT did something in 4xx too. No need to be spending the sort of money an ICOM R series will set you back.

Plus, the Bearcat does "close call" which makes it really easy to find transmissions. Only problem I found with it is I could never set the step right to get it exactly on the MSA Freq, so you had to tune to .335 or .340, and it sometimes seemed to miss or pick up late a few transmissions that Maycom users stood next to me got.
Old 16 May 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2881279)   #1122
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, do I get extra saddo points for having a Bearcat as well as an FR-100 to keep my 2 AR-108s company?

Bearcat gobbles batteries and is indeed a problem with last decimal places. Plus point is the close-call if you are in a new site. Covers a lot more ranges and takes longer to set up and play with.

FR-100 is not as good as the AR-108 but does cover the lower band for Rally as well as the higher 400 stuff.

AR-108 is best where the traditional range is used - especially as you can lock the buttons & stuff it in your pocket unattended.

With all scanners, we use them differently to most folk - we tend to only want to hear one specific frequency all day and not all the local taxi firms. Sensitivity is more related to optimum aerial length, rather than number of bands available - it just means that with more bands, you tend to be further from that optimum most of the time.

finally, those nasty little 8-channel walkie talkies that kids / families play with appear close to the marshal bands in the 446 area (Channel 1 will actually pick up Curborough traffic!). Bikes were in the 450-465 area I believe?

RaceSafe training this year did mention their hopes to be able to bleed from the new freqs and rebroadcast on their old frequencies just for scanners - much more expected / desired at bikes than cars!!
Old 16 May 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2881316)   #1123
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Bearcat gobbles batteries and is indeed a problem with last decimal places.

Sensitivity is more related to optimum aerial length, rather than number of bands available
Agreed, was gonna mention the battery life on the Bearcat. Got through a pair of Duracells in about a day and a half IME. And I found that it worked better after I bought a new aerial too, although eventually got the aerial caught climbing through a fence and broke it off leaving the centre pin irretrievably wedged in the connector, rendering it useless. Another minus is that it's a bit bulky compared to the maycom, especially with the replacement aerial - the one I used made it a bit top heavy too.

Having said all that, tho', the close call is a big plus. If you're prepared to pay an extra few quid, I'd probably recommend it. Having replaced mine with the bog standard Maycom, I'd probably go back to one at some point in the future. Really waiting to find out what's happening with digital tho.
Old 16 May 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2881325)   #1124
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't tell me you guys use scanners with telescopic antennas??

Haven't they invented multiband flexible "whips" in the UK yet??

I know there are diadvantages to the whip style antenna like range but lets face it you're not trying to monitor a radio a thousand miles away, most race track comms is only over a mile of so.
Old 27 May 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2886654)   #1125
Drummer
Rookie

England
Northamptonshire, England
Drummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Ok, so I'm looking for a scanner that covers most/all marshalling frequencies, but I'm not rich enough to afford anything much over 40 quid. Does anyone have any suggestions? The circuits I'll be using it on, this season, are Silverstone, Croft, Donners, Snet and possibly Knockhill. I'd just like to feel a little more involved, by hearing everything that's going on, it might help me learn stuff too! (and let's face it, you look more like a marshal with an ear piece in!) XD