Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jan 2018, 03:22 (Ref:3796763)   #1126
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Also, after listening to them all weekend trackside - Hindahugh and Marriott need to go. John makes Murray Walker's later years seem competent with the amount of mistakes he makes. Not to mention constantly bickering with Jeremy Shaw when Jeremy corrects him.

Marriott is just pretty bad to listen to. Cringe worthy questions all the time.
I can't stand when he's chewing his food and talking at the same time. That wasn't really an issue this race but in the past it was (especially during wec broadcasts). I noticed that 'I gotta be right' aspect also. I thought it was decent commentary overall though. I tried to stay up for the race but fell asleep right before dawn.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 04:08 (Ref:3796769)   #1127
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
My favorite part of the FUX coverage was the 20-minute blocks where there were commercials, interviews, info-mercial interviews, commercials, info-mercial features, more commercials ... but No Racing.
Then the recap of what had happened to that point. Then a couple hours later, the new recap shows some passes and cars going to the garage that happened during that half hour stretch that you talked about that you wouldn't have known anything about if not for watching the internet coverage or radio le mans.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 04:32 (Ref:3796771)   #1128
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm okay with not adopting Code 60. Restarts are fun.

Also, Ford didn't sandbag - here's the math from facebook.

This would be fine, except pit stops are bop'd with fuel flow, taking any pit stop performance advantage out of play. Also, fuel tank sizes are also subject to bop so ford had an unfair advantage in that way.

To be clear, I wish we could have cars running different lengths between pit stops based on the car, as that would add more to it, but under the rules everyone is supposed to go by, ford was at a huge advantage, unfairly so.

Quote:
Also, after listening to them all weekend trackside - Hindahugh and Marriott need to go. John makes Murray Walker's later years seem competent with the amount of mistakes he makes. Not to mention constantly bickering with Jeremy Shaw when Jeremy corrects him.

Blasphemy. Hindhaugh could make more mistakes than krohn finds sand traps and he is still untouchable. Hearing "she sells sanctuary" and then hindy coming over the pa at the track is such a strong ingrained memory for me that it is as much a part of the atmosphere as anything.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 05:22 (Ref:3796777)   #1129
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford was the better car get over it,it's not like Le Mans two years ago when both Ferrari and ford gained seconds over the rest of the field.ford was at the top of gtlm all week,the only reason corvette got the pole was because he got the draft off the team car.also I remember seeing both corvettes do rear brake changes,but I only remember ford's doing the fronts.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 05:37 (Ref:3796779)   #1130
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post

Blasphemy. Hindhaugh could make more mistakes than krohn finds sand traps and he is still untouchable. Hearing "she sells sanctuary" and then hindy coming over the pa at the track is such a strong ingrained memory for me that it is as much a part of the atmosphere as anything.
As much as I agree with this from my early alms days,I agree with others that he has to go.he doesn't doesn't have the same touch,misses a lot at times,and miss identifies cars/drivers.even Owen twinkler corrected him a few times,I had to watch fox coverage a few times because I couldnt stand it when hindy was on.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3796786)   #1131
Joe Bernard
Rookie

Joe Bernard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What drives me crazy is how much on-track action Hindy misses. In general I enjoy his chatter during endurance races, but he gets so wrapped up that he stops watching the race!
Old 30 Jan 2018, 07:29 (Ref:3796787)   #1132
pafe
Rookie

Germany
North-Germany
pafe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
The face SC periods end up making races more exciting is a side effect of their true nature as the safest way to clean up incidents, but I'd rather a side effect that improves racing instead of ruins it, as Code 60s do
When the safety can't be garanteed by code60 there will be a SC, happened quite a few times. But there are alot of incidents that can be handled under code60. To me FCY can also ruin endurance races (for example the wave by's) and can be also a safety issue. How often did I see cars go back to race-pace under yellow to get a lap back

Well, I don't want to convince someone here, it just came to my mind because I enjoyed this race alot. And this had alot to do with the few FCY's this year.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3796788)   #1133
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
What drives me crazy is how much on-track action Hindy misses. In general I enjoy his chatter during endurance races, but he gets so wrapped up that he stops watching the race!
I’d suggest, from my watching of the race streams, that the commentators aren’t looking at the same screen as us! It wasn’t just one particular person missing the action..... And eating while talking to the world should be a fundamental no-no!

IMSA TV picture quality for me in the UK was rubbish at the start of the race. My broadband is relatively fast so I can’t blame that. The in-car quality was much better (except for #23- poor camera position!) which suggests that the sheer amount of people watching affected the stream? Later in the race, when I guess less were watching, the picture quality was much better.

IMO now one of the great endurance races, so I'm grateful for the free coverage. It’s not perfect, but it hasn’t cost me a penny.....
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3796959)   #1134
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Egg FOX

Admin Note:

There was a lot of frustration about the race coverage, certainly for North America. I can imagine that it could ruin the enjoyment of what has generally been considered the best Daytona 24 for a few years. Many have experienced that and it will remain an important topic of discussion.

However please can we, from now on, stick to the actual channel name of FOX. With the correct vowel! During the race a derivation of the word slipped in and as we were mid-race generally let it go. In a quick fire part of the discussion it was OK. Just.

Post race it is more appropriate, especially on 10-10ths which is a family forum, to stick to the real name.

It also adds credibility to any criticism of the coverage in the small chance someone from the network is reading it.

Thanks
Old 30 Jan 2018, 23:20 (Ref:3797017)   #1135
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Pretty clear that the Fords were in economy mode most of the race, why keep pushing when you've got 45s on the field already (incidentally this is how they managed to simultaneously sandbag and win even in 2016)? Any time they occupied a vaguely similar part of the track as another GTE car they drove around and away like they were in another class.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 01:29 (Ref:3797033)   #1136
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Watching the race on IMSA's YouTube account now with RLM commentary - Hindy is unaware of what the Trueman/Akin award is.

This is the man getting paid to commentate the series.

Yikes.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3797035)   #1137
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Admin Note:

There was a lot of frustration about the race coverage, certainly for North America. I can imagine that it could ruin the enjoyment of what has generally been considered the best Daytona 24 for a few years. Many have experienced that and it will remain an important topic of discussion.

However please can we, from now on, stick to the actual channel name of FOX. With the correct vowel! During the race a derivation of the word slipped in and as we were mid-race generally let it go. In a quick fire part of the discussion it was OK. Just.

Post race it is more appropriate, especially on 10-10ths which is a family forum, to stick to the real name.

It also adds credibility to any criticism of the coverage in the small chance someone from the network is reading it.

Thanks
Oh, for fox' sake! (?)
Old 31 Jan 2018, 01:38 (Ref:3797036)   #1138
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Watching the race on IMSA's YouTube account now with RLM commentary - Hindy is unaware of what the Trueman/Akin award is.

This is the man getting paid to commentate the series.

Yikes.
Don't care. Hindy can do what he wants imo.

On this point, this is the way they should go about having a secondary prototype class. Same cars, same points championship, but with a secondary title up for grabs for the amateurs. No need for any different machinery for another class, which would cannibalize the current one and possibly phase out customers for the manufacturers in the current class.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3797038)   #1139
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm okay with not adopting Code 60. Restarts are fun.

Also, Ford didn't sandbag - here's the math from facebook.
I think the interpretation of "average laptime" is short sighted for what we are trying to understand....Average lap time doesn't tell you what happened in the race at the points where fast lap times made a difference.

When Ford wanted to, they could lap in the 1:44s consistently during a stint. No other car could do this with the Ford consistency. Lets not forget two things. The first is that Ford lapped the GTLM field before the Corvettes had any real issues or brake pad changes. Next I have this graphic of laptimes done for each car in the 1:44 zone (which we consider very fast). Notice anything?.... Damning isn't it... The BOP was wrong. Not much more to it.

Last edited by Articus; 31 Jan 2018 at 02:16.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 03:01 (Ref:3797041)   #1140
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2018 Rolex 24 at Daytona(IMSA @ Daytona) - Jan 25-28

I've also done my own calculations for average laptime. Under 2:00 and under 1:50. I use these cutoffs because they are markers for laps set with the intent to be competitive. I didn't to filter out rain laps and who was on what tire since it's a very small compared to number of dry laps. Same story though, I don't understand the claim from Facebook guy. No matter how you look at it, Ford ran a perfect race, while Vettes were slower and had issues. For them to have the same average lap time or for Corvette to be faster doesn't pass my sanity check.

Last edited by Articus; 31 Jan 2018 at 03:18.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:40 (Ref:3797199)   #1141
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Don't care. Hindy can do what he wants imo.
So you're totally okay with sub-par commentary. Got it.

Better never hear you complain about the FOX team or the previous MRN team ever again then.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3797204)   #1142
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
It's not what Hindy says, it's the way he says it that makes him so popular.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3797210)   #1143
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
"the way he says it"

Running out of breath or chomping down on a turkey leg?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3797223)   #1144
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Ford ran a perfect race, while Vettes were slower and had issues. For them to have the same average lap time or for Corvette to be faster doesn't pass my sanity check.
I am sure the AXR #5 didn't have a huge lap time advantage either.

Ford loped most of the race while Corvette sprinted. Ford could afford to run whatever pace the pursuit ran and preserve the gap. once they had a LAP lead, why would they run faster than the competition?

Now ... please explain how in IMSA GTLM, supposedly the most competitive class in racing anywhere, the tightest field of the most equal cars, Ford was able to LAP the Entire Field if they were not significantly faster.

If every other GTLM had broken down before Ford lapped the field---with Both cars---people might have a case to make. But Both Fords lapped the field on pure pace.

Someone needs to explain to me how two cars which were not any faster managed to lap Every other car which was not slower.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3797242)   #1145
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly is really hard to expail the ford undisputed race domination.
The car hadn't any kindly bop, being the heaviest gte with the lowest turbo pressure.... and last but not least, in theory the car shouldn't have received any development from last season being still the vanilla 2016 spec
(ferrari spent this year his coin to release the evo package for 488 gt3 and gtlm while don't know if porsche did the same last year to turn the 991 RSR in a MR prototype, or it was a fresh new car homologation, like new vantage for AMR).

Maybe ford, ganassi and michelin developed a perfect compound for the car in last 3 months or maybe found the best set-up to get the best and longer performance window.....
corvette and ford gt were both in the best overall performance, high 1.42; difference is that ford cars hadn't any issue to set constantly 1.44 in race trim, while other cars struggled to hit seldomly 1.45
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3797246)   #1146
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
So you're totally okay with sub-par commentary. Got it.

Better never hear you complain about the FOX team or the previous MRN team ever again then.
No, I'm not okay with subpar commentary. That's why I enjoy Hindy.

And yes, I will complain about a crew setting up the next infomercial piece and highlights package of things that were missed WHILE ON THE AIR, while appreciating a member of a crew that doesn't go to commercial, watching the race through the eyes of a fan, mixing up car numbers or situations occasionally.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3797248)   #1147
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Before RLM came along with IMSA Radio, the first IMSA commentary team that was used on the international stream said the Mazda was the world's first diesel prototype. So...yeah, I'll take Hindy.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3797250)   #1148
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
No, I'm not okay with subpar commentary. That's why I enjoy Hindy.

And yes, I will complain about a crew setting up the next infomercial piece and highlights package of things that were missed WHILE ON THE AIR, while appreciating a member of a crew that doesn't go to commercial, watching the race through the eyes of a fan, mixing up car numbers or situations occasionally.
RLM misses a whole bunch of stuff once the sun goes down because they have half hour to 45min long interviews with manufacture or tire execs.

It's not occasionally either. It's all the time. Then he gets combative with Jeremy Shaw when Jeremy corrects him. It's dreadful.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3797256)   #1149
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Before RLM came along with IMSA Radio, the first IMSA commentary team that was used on the international stream said the Mazda was the world's first diesel prototype. So...yeah, I'll take Hindy.
Yeah the MRN team or whatever it was that first season was just soooo bad.

I personally like the IMSA radio crew. Yeah they miss stuff but so does every broadcaster i've ever seen. I like that they all have personality and inject that into their work. Much better than just a bland, predictable 'radio guy' puking into the mic.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3797260)   #1150
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
RLM misses a whole bunch of stuff once the sun goes down because they have half hour to 45min long interviews with manufacture or tire execs.

It's not occasionally either. It's all the time. Then he gets combative with Jeremy Shaw when Jeremy corrects him. It's dreadful.
Yeah, I hate that, I was watching a great fight for the lead, but they were doing and unuseful and boring corporate interview with a guy from Porsche that nobody cared about.

However, you have to hear what the guys from the latin arm of FOX sport talk about, you will love RLM.