Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1722664)   #1151
Shiney
Rookie

Australia
West Aus
Shiney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzziemonza
David Bowden sold his Moffat XY (73 Champ winner) and Moffat XW (Bathurst 71? - 64E) to two separate buyers then bought the Johnson cars.
Must have been a couple of rather large suitcases of cash changing hands there!! Especially when a road going example of the XY recently sold for $400,000.
Are things getting a bit out of hand here, or are we just catching up to what is happening in the States?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1722833)   #1152
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzziemonza
David Bowden sold his Moffat XY (73 Champ winner) and Moffat XW (Bathurst 71? - 64E) to two separate buyers then bought the Johnson cars.
Ye Gods! Has the world gone mad?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1722835)   #1153
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at some of the info on this link

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti...ts/byevent.asp

and youll see what people are willing to pay for certain cars in the States!

Incredible!!
Old 29 Sep 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1723407)   #1154
Shiney
Rookie

Australia
West Aus
Shiney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Have a look at some of the info on this link

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti...ts/byevent.asp

and youll see what people are willing to pay for certain cars in the States!

Incredible!!
I read an article a couple of months ago about the General Motors "Futureliner" tour bus. Back then, nobody was even dreaming it was worth $4,300,000!!!!
On the other hand, you could say that any car is worth nothing if it is not for sale. I know an old fella with a '64 Aston Martin DB5 Vantage who regularly drives it on the gravel roads around his farm. He bought it new and to him it's now just an old car. Mongrel won't sell it though.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1723611)   #1155
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
The magazine from Barrett-Jackson has a story about the General Motors "Futureliner" and the guy who paid $4.3 mil for it drove it home, UNBELIEVEABLE!

Getting it to the auction from Canada was a bit of an effort, due to its size it needed to be on a low-loader.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1725129)   #1156
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is something i was going to ask on another thread, but it was closed before I could, so i'll ask it here.

Peter Brock's Bathurst 12 hour class winning commodores from the early 90's. I think there was a VN S-pack in 1990? (green & white 'Suttons?'car), as well as a SS a year or 2 later. No I know a number of proddie cars like this were de-race car-ed (remive stickers, roll bars etc) and sold on to the public as 'dealer used demos', but does anyone know where they ended up? (oh, and PB's proddie Peugeots & volvos as well).

I know these arent group c/group a, but after the other thread closed, its probably my best chance here to find out, as its where everyone with the knowledge looks!

Thanks for any info you may have,
Mitch.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1725134)   #1157
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The green VN S-pack was driven by Peter Brierly and Alf Grant in the 1992 12 Hour and also by Brierly in that year's Australian Production Car Championship; after that, I don't know. I also have no idea about the other Commodore.

I believe the Peugeot's went to Milton Leslight, try searching the board, I think the subject of the Peugeots has come up before.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1725179)   #1158
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
One of the Volvo's is now raced in Improved Production in Victoria.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1725202)   #1159
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I also have no idea about the other Commodore.
Was the 1993 12 Hour car he shared with Tony Scott not Scott's Commodore from the 1992 Australian Production Car Championship?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1725217)   #1160
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm keen to know... What happened to the '72 Brock Torana? Was it the one written off in a road accident?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1725221)   #1161
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told it was the Colin Bond one (#24) that was written off in a road accident, but i'm not sure.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1725232)   #1162
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
As far as i know, the 72 Brock car still exists, Bonds 72 car was sold to Dick Johnson, then sold on to another owner(s), before being destroyed in a road accident. That is the popular beleif,but I dont think it 100% certain.

As for PB's cars, the 1975 bathurst car was apparently destroyed in a road accident.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1725233)   #1163
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the Torana exists anymore, I only hear things about replicas of it.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1725234)   #1164
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the car wasn't written off by Colin himself in the early stint crash?

Brock's '72 car was split body and mechanicals and sent to Queensland. Barry Nixon-Smith got one half, Dick Johnson the other. Can't remember how the split worked exactly.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1725241)   #1165
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I'm keen to know... What happened to the '72 Brock Torana? Was it the one written off in a road accident?
The 72 Brock XU-1 still survives It was the car at Speed on Tweed the other weekend It is owned by a fellow of the name of Glen Amos The Bond 24C car from 72 was a write off at Bathuurst on about Lap 3 and is no more !
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1725254)   #1166
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Gee, that was quick too...
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1725280)   #1167
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Gee, that was quick too...
Yeah no worries Its amazing how storys change?? I am trying to keep tabs on that era
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1725791)   #1168
A9X05
Racer

I saw the Bathurst 1977 Bob Jane / Ian Geoghegan Torana A9X up here in Brisbane the other week! The car looked to me as the real deal But I am not 100% sure??
It had some racing bits on it which suggested to me as the real thing Like a side exhaust , larger non standard wheel studs, usual gear like cage and guages etc! Very nice car either way!
I am going to try and put some pics up if I can work it out ? or if anyone can help me Thanx !
Old 3 Oct 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1725794)   #1169
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bathurst #24 car may have been written off but it was replaced by another car. This is the car that was supposed to be written off in a road accident. This was after Kerry Cox owned it.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1725865)   #1170
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
The Bathurst #24 car may have been written off but it was replaced by another car. This is the car that was supposed to be written off in a road accident. This was after Kerry Cox owned it.
Kerry Cox - thats the person who bought the car after Dick Johnson raced it, after HDT had finished with it.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1725871)   #1171
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X05
I saw the Bathurst 1977 Bob Jane / Ian Geoghegan Torana A9X up here in Brisbane the other week! The car looked to me as the real deal But I am not 100% sure??
It had some racing bits on it which suggested to me as the real thing Like a side exhaust , larger non standard wheel studs, usual gear like cage and guages etc! Very nice car either way!
I am going to try and put some pics up if I can work it out ? or if anyone can help me Thanx !
Interesting if so, a past AMC edition indicated that this car (well the shell at least) was gone.

The car was sold to Garry Rogers in late 1978, who used it into 1979, when he had a big accident in it. He transferred the mechanicals into a new shell, and the original Jane shell was presumebly scrapped.

The replacement shell/car, the white, green & blue Greater Pacific Finance Torana popped up recently at the AMC Masters.....interesting as well i thought, as i was under the impression this car was butchered into Rogers Torana Sports Sedan?
Old 3 Oct 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1725877)   #1172
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Interesting if so, a past AMC edition indicated that this car (well the shell at least) was gone.

The car was sold to Garry Rogers in late 1978, who used it into 1979, when he had a big accident in it. He transferred the mechanicals into a new shell, and the original Jane shell was presumebly scrapped.

The replacement shell/car, the white, green & blue Greater Pacific Finance Torana popped up recently at the AMC Masters.....interesting as well i thought, as i was under the impression this car was butchered into Rogers Torana Sports Sedan?
Yeah thats right I remember reading that in AMC also now! I forgot about that Gee! I am getting old!
That was the car that Janey ordered all the light guage steel and had G.M.H press him up some special light weight panels! and If I remember correct wasnt there more than one body shell with the light weight panels ? Which became the Forbes then Janson and Perkins Bathurst car? I will check that out for my own peice of mind !
I kept thinking that the car I saw most likely wasnt the real deal But gee it was a good replicar though!
Old 3 Oct 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1725886)   #1173
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Yeah thats right I remember reading that in AMC also now! I forgot about that Gee! I am getting old!
That was the car that Janey ordered all the light guage steel and had G.M.H press him up some special light weight panels! and If I remember correct wasnt there more than one body shell with the light weight panels ? Which became the Forbes then Janson and Perkins Bathurst car? I will check that out for my own peice of mind !
I kept thinking that the car I saw most likely wasnt the real deal But gee it was a good replicar though!
The story I had heard was that Bob Jane sent a truckload of light gauge steel down to have it made... while I was aware of the Forbes Le Mans project, and that they were light shells, I've never heard whether or not the two project were related in any way.

In any case, the BJTM A9X was adored by Jane's co-driver, the inimicable Ian Geoghegan, who laid down a (non-official) practice time a good handful of seconds quicker than anyone else could manage (including the pole time) at Bathurst in 1977 with the car.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 04:29 (Ref:1725892)   #1174
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
The story I had heard was that Bob Jane sent a truckload of light gauge steel down to have it made... while I was aware of the Forbes Le Mans project, and that they were light shells, I've never heard whether or not the two project were related in any way.

In any case, the BJTM A9X was adored by Jane's co-driver, the inimicable Ian Geoghegan, who laid down a (non-official) practice time a good handful of seconds quicker than anyone else could manage (including the pole time) at Bathurst in 1977 with the car.
HHHHmmm! it speaks for itself doesnt it??
Like I said I am not sure about the connection But I will find out when time permits I have to flick thru my AMC mags! I mean I could be wrong! I may have my wires crossed Stay tuned A9X05 will fess up if I am wrong!
Old 3 Oct 2006, 04:56 (Ref:1725902)   #1175
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
HHHHmmm! it speaks for itself doesnt it??
Like I said I am not sure about the connection But I will find out when time permits I have to flick thru my AMC mags! I mean I could be wrong! I may have my wires crossed Stay tuned A9X05 will fess up if I am wrong!
What was the timeline on the Forbes project? I'll have to wade through the rubbish in my garage and see if I can find that edition of AMC myself!