Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3049603)   #1176
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Top Tip Sam. Tell him to always take the lens cap off.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3049625)   #1177
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Top Tip Sam. Tell him to always take the lens cap off.
LOL Smashing tip. Dont worry it is lost already!!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3049673)   #1178
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It is an advantage to understand what makes "the perfect exposure" on a fully manual camera so you can use an "idiot proof" fully automatic camera to it's best.
For us oldies that were brought up on SLR 35mm film cameras we had to learn the hard way by not being able to see the finished article until we developed it or had it processed by one of the firms of the day.
I do have an advantage in that I had my own dark room from 14 -15 years of age doing B&W and colour developing and my wife used to be a photographer for the England football team back in the 70s.
Although the digital age has overtaken just about everything photographic wise the same things apply now as when plate cameras were in use in the 1800 hundreds
Once this is understood and you learn composition in the camera rather than cropping the photo afterwards you are half way there.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3049681)   #1179
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Agreed,

Grant, as the font of all knowledge on things photographic, do you have a foolproof idiots guide to slightly more advanced cameras? My son! is showing a slight interest in photography, he has aquired a camera that is a bit more flashy than my point and shoot thing. I will find out what it is as I am sure it is relavent.

The sort of info I want is... forget XY & Z just make sure you have AB&C sorted, the rest will come with time and experiance.
Well, the digital age allows one to try stuff at low cost and the internet provides more information than one needs.

Awareness of the technical stuff is useful. In depth knowledge may be something to aspire to in time but is not vital to be able to spout if it gets in the way of enjoyment. A 'good eye' for composition will make for greater satisfaction than all the theory one can absorb.

On the other hand the majority of cameras these days allow almost full proof ability to take a presentable 'snap' without needing to know much at all. It's when one starts to look at the more creative options that extended knowledge finds its place. Getting there probably means being keen enough to carry a camera with you at (nearly) all times AND making use of it. Phone cameras are an obvious example.

I could make a case for certain types of camera with interchangeable lenses being relatively sound investments - especially the more expensive lenses - in that, bought carefully, they are good investments as well as good and satisfying performers. Quality lenses hold their values pretty well.

For some rather good easily understood and well illustrated tutorials try www.cambridgeincolour.com . They allow one to look and say - "Yep, that's the sort of thing I am trying to do.' and then explain what you need to consider to achieve the effect. The core subject to have a feel for is Exposure and so the relationship between Shutter Speed, Lens Aperture, ISO speed and the amount of light (or darkness) available for the subject.

And, believe it or not, Pistonheads has a pretty good Photography and video (mostly NOT video) forum that has some excellent and eclectic content. The people that post there regularly are mostly quite happy to share how they get the results they get and quite a few of them have arrived as 'no nothing' newbies and developed into rather accomplished and creative snappers during a year or two of interaction on the site.

Finally be aware that if the bug really bites the wallet may feel the pain - but see above for comments about 'investment'.

Summary.

Buy (or plan to buy) an interchangable lens system. Currently a DSLR is probably still the best option unless pocketability is a key factor but things are changing quite rapidly.

Learn about the differences between shooting RAW and jpg. More work to shoot RAW because 'post processing' will be required but what you can do with the images to make them what you want them to be is much more flexible.

Understand the place of Post Processing in the world of digital photography.

Don't be sucked into thinking that more megapixels are better. Often they are not unless working with the very best kit.

I could fill a few more pages but it would be a bit meaningless without knowing what the current objectives may be - and whether they are likely to change quite rapidly as his enthusiasm develops.

ETA. I can't disagree with Gordon's comments either although there is much greater opportunity for people to experiment and learn on a PC than was the case for the old 'fume room' day. Irrationally there was still something rather satisfying about working in the dark in a fume room and seeing stuff appear in the red light as if by magic.

Last edited by grantp; 27 Mar 2012 at 21:40.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3049853)   #1180
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It is an advantage to understand what makes "the perfect exposure" on a fully manual camera so you can use an "idiot proof" fully automatic camera to it's best.
For us oldies that were brought up on SLR 35mm film cameras we had to learn the hard way by not being able to see the finished article until we developed it or had it processed by one of the firms of the day.
I do have an advantage in that I had my own dark room from 14 -15 years of age doing B&W and colour developing and my wife used to be a photographer for the England football team back in the 70s.
Although the digital age has overtaken just about everything photographic wise the same things apply now as when plate cameras were in use in the 1800 hundreds
Once this is understood and you learn composition in the camera rather than cropping the photo afterwards you are half way there.
I suppose you know all about 'the perfect exposure' Gordon.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3049892)   #1181
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
He has an eye for a good composition

My late father was a pretty handy snapper, some of the better pictures of my brother and I were always taken with his Hasselblad medium format camera. I have loads of slides which would be good to digitise, also have loads of 35mm ones and a projector!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3049932)   #1182
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My daughter has a hardly used beautiful professional model Canon 5D Mk1 Camera she wants to sell still in the box. She bought it for a project that never materialised she would take a fair price for it. Its the body only so you would have to source your own lens. Its the model you will see many guys using at the tracks and is still under a few months warranty I believe. It cost her over £900 6 months ago 2nd user from a rated photographic shop (the new equivilant if you can get them are over £2000 (Mk2) I believe), she would take £600 firm for it.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3049994)   #1183
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I doubt anyone uses a 5D at the tracks, they are too slow, because they run 25MP (?). Most professionals will use the 1D. The 5D is for studio and landscape work. I stand to be corrected but that's the advice I got from Canon.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3049999)   #1184
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You may be right but its one of the one Jon recommended to her to get, she was going to use it for studio work, I know Jack Sh!te about cameras to tell the truth although I bought one of the first Olympus digtal ones and still have it, it cost an incredible £900 + and only has 2500mega pixels, another bit of tech I have wasted my hard earned on, one of a long long list!

Just entered my first race of the year, Bernie's V8's Snet 14th/15th April with the CSCC. I am sharing the 2nd gen with Cliff.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3050057)   #1185
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've already done my first. Entered the MGB50 & OBS at the 360. Also entered JDC at Silverstone and Oulton Park, paid the deposit for Spa 6hrs and only got the 50th anniversary race at Silverstone; the Guards Trophy at Oulton Park; and the Masters 1hr at Spa to enter.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3050093)   #1186
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Whats an OBS Peter?
Old 28 Mar 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3050124)   #1187
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Olympic Breakfast Sprint
Old 28 Mar 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3050131)   #1188
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If things work out at the doctors on friday, hopefully I will also do the OBS !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Mar 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3050137)   #1189
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Look forward to seeing you Gordon.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3050211)   #1190
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Just entered my first race of the year, Bernie's V8's Snet 14th/15th April with the CSCC. I am sharing the 2nd gen with Cliff.
Jeez what have I let myself in for

Anyway it looks like we'll be pushing it round the track as there are already queues outside petrol stations round here!
Old 29 Mar 2012, 05:45 (Ref:3050296)   #1191
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post

Anyway it looks like we'll be pushing it round the track as there are already queues outside petrol stations round here!
I couldn't believe it driving through Norwich yesterday at 1030 am- queue down the road at Sainsburys!

Try the Texaco on Thetford by-pass on way up- it is always ridiculously expensive so very few people fill up there!

Old 29 Mar 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3050299)   #1192
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Texaco are good at that . . .the most expensive station in Sussex is on the A23 just north of Brighton . . . . its a Texaco!
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3050314)   #1193
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got to go and get some fuel in the skid car today, in one of those infamous jerry cans. Haven't had any trouble in the past but you can bet the jobsworths will be out in force now!
Old 29 Mar 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3050318)   #1194
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post

cheeky sod, at least we have a back up car lol!
Old 29 Mar 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3050599)   #1195
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
cheeky sod, at least we have a back up car lol!
But that still uses petrol, doesn't it - or does it run on gas
Old 29 Mar 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3050652)   #1196
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
or a hot air and wind mix?
Old 30 Mar 2012, 05:47 (Ref:3050707)   #1197
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
or a hot air and wind mix?
Glad you said it- Al is bigger than me.......
Old 30 Mar 2012, 06:29 (Ref:3050712)   #1198
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Filled up Delta van yesterday ready for Donnington Saturday. Local garage had plenty of deisel. £1.55 a liter. Robbing Bas---rds.
Thanks Joe I will find out a bit more info on the scooter.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3050713)   #1199
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Iain, my pleasure, let me know if I can help, we have a fleet down here and mini restoration line, the thing to look out for is that its a genuine Italian Innocenti product, not an Indian shed, although the Spanish Eibar scooters are actually pretty good, a vast majority of the parts around are substandard as well.

With the price of fuel I'm using mine more and more, especially in this weather, I have a quick engine service and fettle job this morning, a 60 mile round trip on the TV175 through the Sussex countryside isn't a bad way of travelling
Old 30 Mar 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3050716)   #1200
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I trust you have your Parker and Tiger tail ?
Closed Thread