Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jan 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2816080)   #1201
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As a sports car fan (I actually prefer the GT's btw) I watch the World Challenge as much as possible, but take a look at how this country has embraced that GT only series. Look to the future, how is an IMSA GT Series going to fair against Ratel's new US GT3 and the new US DTM? New fans notice the Prototypes but stay for GT's. Prototypes will capture more new eyes than the GT's will, even if the GT's are what will become their favorite class. I love the mixed LMP / GT field and the crazy closing speeds and traffic.
Just from my personal experience it's rather the other way around. All my none racign friends love the GTs when they come along for a race, but nobody has much interest in "those weird looking prototypes".
Old 15 Jan 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2816103)   #1202
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
The ALMS doesn't need works teams in LMP. There are privateers willing to spend the money, let them. Last years limited LMP field put on a great show. .
How good was the attendance at events for PSCR or WSC? The ALMS is going to lose a lot of fans if it is a privateer show... attendance will go down.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2816105)   #1203
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Why , if the spectacle is still there ?
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2816119)   #1204
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This discussion will lead to nothing... a never ending story of opinions, opposite views, hang-ups... for some time it was fine but now it get's boring.

Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2816148)   #1205
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
What??? Have you seen the GT field? It's one thing to dream that (I think most of us do) but with the ILMC around and most manufacturers looking for road relevancy, you can't be serious.
100% serious, as for the line about manufacturers looking for road relevancy (in the models themselves, not technology transferral) I don't see any evidence for that.

What I do see is manufacturers with a suitable road car offering a GT variation, whether it be GTE or GT3, to customers with the potential once again of Corvette being the lone factory participant. Those same manufacturers invest most of their time and resources in P1 or F1 projects, i.e. Audi, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus, Aston etc.

GT racing for the most part is a privateer activity, privateers don't have loyalty to a particular class and history shows they make a move if the odds of success seem particularly low. GTE can be a money pit, in the ALMS the latest spec and pro drivers are needed, in P2 they could run competitively with the same car for multiple seasons, subsidise costs with a pay driver and strike up a relationship with a manufacturer like Honda.

I'm not saying GT racing will disappear, only we'll see a realinement of the classes with a more even distribution of teams. My biggest hope for GT racing in the ALMS is they focus on GTE with Pro and Am classes rather than potentially letting that class shrink dramatically and forcing themselves to rely on GTC to boost numbers.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2816153)   #1206
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
This discussion will lead to nothing... a never ending story of opinions, opposite views, hang-ups... for some time it was fine but now it get's boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
How good was the attendance at events for PSCR or WSC? The ALMS is going to lose a lot of fans if it is a privateer show... attendance will go down.
This comes from the - "If you don't learn from history your doomed to repeat it" file.

WSC - FAILURE!

PSCR - Classic case of mismanagement

Is it any wonder the IMSA is even around after those?

What do people remember about that era? GT-P's and GTO/S

You had several divisions of GM involved (Olds, Pontiac and Chevy), along with Ford, Toyota, Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo, Mazda and Nissan.

Prototypes have their place when OEM's will support it, when they don't you should drop it, you can always bring it back.

They always kept the GT classes, why because its easy to build a series around those cars, that should tell you something...
Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2816155)   #1207
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
If the manufactures want back in to LMP, then you get the commitment from at least two companies and re-open the class. As I said nobody really moans about GT1's being axed while at the same time bashing Ratel. Mention prototypes and Ohhhh you can't do that.
That's because Corvette where the last standing GT1 constructor not just in the ALMS but the world.

In LMP you have Audi, Peugeot, Aston, Honda, Toyota, Lola, Oreca, Zytek, Riley and a host of engine builders, whats more they are investing in products that will be all new for the 2011 season.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2816160)   #1208
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Prototypes have their place when OEM's will support it, when they don't you should drop it, you can always bring it back.
I'd actually disagree with that... the OEMs alone will rarely field enough cars to make for a full field of prototypes, you'll usually need some privateers to make up the numbers and these won't turn up out of nowhere...

When the ACO established the ELMS and later the LMS they had the FIA-SCC field to built on, without that, I doubt we'd ever have seen more than a dozen or so prototypes in LMS...

And even when IMSA brough in the GTPs it was pretty much an organic transition as the later 935s weren't really far away from the early GTPs in terms of technology and sophistication.

Creating a prototype field out of nothing will be extremely challenging at best and downright impossible at the worst.
Privateer prototype teams have to be groomed, but that does not necessarily mean that they have to be part of the same series as the suppossed-to-be headline GT-class. That's why I would advocate outsourcing the prototypes into their own series together with IMSA Lights or a CN-style class for the time being.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2816163)   #1209
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
That's because Corvette where the last standing GT1 constructor not just in the ALMS but the world.

In LMP you have Audi, Peugeot, Aston, Honda, Toyota, Lola, Oreca, Zytek, Riley and a host of engine builders, whats more they are investing in products that will be all new for the 2011 season.
Not quite, if you include the privateer efforts to justify the continued existence of LMPs, you'll also have to count the privateer/semi-werks GT1 efforts (Matech, Reiter, Nissan) when you try to rationalize that class' demise...
Old 16 Jan 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2816289)   #1210
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'd actually disagree with that... the OEMs alone will rarely field enough cars to make for a full field of prototypes, you'll usually need some privateers to make up the numbers and these won't turn up out of nowhere...
2008 proved that you only need 2 OEM's to produce a fantastic season - lets wait and see - there definitely appears to be some new momentum worldwide with the amount of OEMs having or rumoured to be having new projects - and they would not do that if there was no market - so optimistically I am with JAG and see a brighter future for LMP
Old 16 Jan 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2816291)   #1211
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
2008 proved that you only need 2 OEM's to produce a fantastic season - lets wait and see - there definitely appears to be some new momentum worldwide with the amount of OEMs having or rumoured to be having new projects - and they would not do that if there was no market - so optimistically I am with JAG and see a brighter future for LMP
2008 had 3 OEMs (or 4 if you count Mazda) - and I consider that an extraordinary situation, especially Acuras approach of fielding three, later four independent teams rather than a two car works effort - and with the ILMC I don't see that situation coming back easily.

If you only have two conventional two car works efforts that will make for great racing, but you'll lack the numbers for a credible prototype field.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2816331)   #1212
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
there definitely appears to be some new momentum worldwide with the amount of OEMs having or rumoured to be having new projects - and they would not do that if there was no market - so optimistically I am with JAG and see a brighter future for LMP
Even "if" so, those manufacturers will gravitate towards ILMC. In the context of the ALMS, which this thread is about it appears as though LMP's are perhaps something that should appear at only the ILMC races.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 01:11 (Ref:2816579)   #1213
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon the ex RML Lola Honda is headed for Level 5 ? Makes sense .
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2816587)   #1214
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I reckon the ex RML Lola Honda is headed for Level 5 ? Makes sense .
Level 5 is buying open cars, not RMLs coupe.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2816589)   #1215
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just noticed an IMSA bulletin from last week that says all cars have to run with headlights and taillights on at all times day and night. Is that a new rule for 2011? I don't remember seeing all cars with headlights on in the past, but then again if it was daytime maybe I didn't notice them....
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2816592)   #1216
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Open toppers !!! ..... where did you hear that from ?

Are they new build or ex someone else ?

Cool if they do .
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2816623)   #1217
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Open toppers !!! ..... where did you hear that from ?

Are they new build or ex someone else ?

Cool if they do .
New build, there was a photo of Luis Diaz at the Lola factory with one of the two new tubs ordered by the team.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2816630)   #1218
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I just noticed an IMSA bulletin from last week that says all cars have to run with headlights and taillights on at all times day and night. Is that a new rule for 2011? I don't remember seeing all cars with headlights on in the past, but then again if it was daytime maybe I didn't notice them....
That's unfortunate...

I've never been a fan of the yellow headlights for the GT cars, and now every picture will have them stabbing my eyes.

Not as big of a deal on the prototypes to me because they have the nicer looking white lights, but then again I don't care about the prototypes as much as the GT cars.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:03 (Ref:2816634)   #1219
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Not a fan of bulletin 5.17 either.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2816685)   #1220
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
That's unfortunate...

I've never been a fan of the yellow headlights for the GT cars, and now every picture will have them stabbing my eyes.

Not as big of a deal on the prototypes to me because they have the nicer looking white lights, but then again I don't care about the prototypes as much as the GT cars.
Haven't the cars always run with headlights on? I just checked a couple 2010 races on RacingSportscars to make sure, and with very few exceptions they all have headlights on. Most seem to using "daytime running lights" where only one of the two bulbs per cluster is on during the day.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2816700)   #1221
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
There was a piece about Level 5 on DSC a few weeks back confirming that it was the open car, but the team manager also mentioned that they were looking at having a third car based in Europe for Le Mans, and maybe some ILMC races- and that this might be a coupe....
The author of the article did include a comment speculating about the identity of the car, the European team that might be involved, and who might just happen to have a coupe for sale....
Old 17 Jan 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2816726)   #1222
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Haven't the cars always run with headlights on? I just checked a couple 2010 races on RacingSportscars to make sure, and with very few exceptions they all have headlights on. Most seem to using "daytime running lights" where only one of the two bulbs per cluster is on during the day.
I may be wrong, but reading between the lines, the bulletin is surely stating that the rule is going to be strictly enforced this year. My memory is not the best, but I'm sure you're right in as much as it has always been compulsary for cars in the ALMS to run with head and tail lights on, per ACO rules.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2817056)   #1223
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So West Racing seem serious. They have named at least two of their Pilots for the ALMS 2011 season: Pastorelli & Schwager. See here: http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|15464

DK
Old 17 Jan 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2817091)   #1224
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good morning guys, the Level 5 and West Racing stories are old stuff...

Old 17 Jan 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2817094)   #1225
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
Good morning guys, the Level 5 and West Racing stories are old stuff...

Yeah I was wondering why West Racing are announcing something today we knew well over a week ago.